PDA

View Full Version : OT - Best Bittorrent Client for Windows?

Anthem
01-31-2005, 01:35 AM
Just wondering what everyone else uses.

I've never installed BT on a Windows machine.

kerosene
01-31-2005, 01:58 AM
If you're going to use the standard BitTorrent (as in BitTorrent-3.4.2.exe or whatever the version is on now) client then also download and install Burst so you can throttle the BT client so all of your bandwidth isn't being used by it and you can't do anything else online. I run BT from my shell account then use scp to download from there so I'm not real sure which Windows client is the best one right now.

skyfire
01-31-2005, 02:45 AM
I use Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/). Its written in Java so it uses abit more memory than other options, but it has a slick interface and is very quick at loading large torrents.

Lurker
01-31-2005, 02:54 AM
I like ABC (another bittorrent client) because you can control your upload bandwidth.

Anthem
01-31-2005, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I'm currently using Azureus myself. Cross-platorm is nice. I like it fine, I've never had problems with it. I was just wondering what everyone else uses, and if any of the clients have really clear advantages over the others.

Blizz
01-31-2005, 04:12 AM
I have been using BitComet. It has the basic function like multi-tack, upload, download limit, disk cashe, etc. Plus it is written in C++ too. Well, I haven't test every clients out there by myself, but I think BitComet is a decent one.

3ptmiller
01-31-2005, 04:13 AM
ABC is the one you must have..

Ragnar
01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
I use abc

Suaveness
01-31-2005, 08:56 AM
bittornado

Hoop
01-31-2005, 05:37 PM
I use ABC. Azureus is OK, but I try to say away from java based programs. Plain old Bit Torrent works fine, if you don't mind a big hit to your bandwith when it's running.

Pig Nash
01-31-2005, 06:11 PM
where do you download things? i just got bit torrent and am confused on how to get stuff to my machine

timid
01-31-2005, 06:33 PM
I think Azureus is by far the best.

try lokitorrent, torrentreactor, pirate bay(site is in another language but the torrents are in English), oink is great for music.

Ragnar
01-31-2005, 07:50 PM
www.torrentspy.com is my favorite

Drewtone
01-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Didn't a bunch of sites shut down???

Skaut_Ech
01-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Check here for info on Bittorent:

http://bittorrent.com/

If you're talking about filesharing programs, I use Limewire (limewire.com), which I think is pretty windows/user friendly. I was a Napster guy when they were big, but now I'm really happy with Limewire.

I tell ya what. Take a little time and check out this link:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/index.php?

It's a forum I use/used to figure out what program I wanted to use and what was the best for me. It's REALLY informative. I bet you'll find out everythng you want to know there.

timid
01-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Didn't a bunch of sites shut down???

Suprnova did and it was the best one. But its again now under a different format. If you go to suprnova.org, it'll link you.

Pig Nash
02-01-2005, 04:16 PM
where do you download things? i just got bit torrent and am confused on how to get stuff to my machine

:bump:

Ragnar
02-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Pig go to www.torrentspy.com and search for whatever you want to download. For example lets say you want to download mondays ep of 24. You would type 24 into the search engine and it will give you the results. You then download the torrent file click on it, decide where you want it to download to on your computer then let it do its thing.

Pig Nash
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Um, is it always this slow? I downloaded a 75 mb file that would take me half an hour if i just downloaded something else that big. it took me almost two hours. i'm running azureus and it was the only download going. I'm running sbc yahoo dsl on a fairly new machine and windows xp.

skyfire
02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Um, is it always this slow? I downloaded a 75 mb file that would take me half an hour if i just downloaded something else that big. it took me almost two hours. i'm running azureus and it was the only download going. I'm running sbc yahoo dsl on a fairly new machine and windows xp.

Was it a popular file? How many seeds/peers were there? Unpopular files can get very slow speeds if not many people are sharing/seeding them.

Do you have an external IP? If you have DSL you might be getting an internal IP address (eg. 192.168.x.x) which can limit the number of connections BT can open. Type 'ipconfig' into a Command prompt to check your ip address.

If you do have an internal IP there are a couple of possible solutions:

Set port forwarding on your router for the BT port.

Use a protocol like RasPPPoe to gain an external IP address via the router.

Both of those solutions are semi-complicated though

Hicks
02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
“I’m a big fan of the Nobel Peace Prize.” - That Guy responsible for the Brawl in Detroit.

“Their contract is an insult. I’ve got a family to feed.” - Latrell Spreewell, currently making $14 million.

“Suck my (expletive).” - Latrell Sprewell, directed at a Clippers fan who was heckling him about Quote Two.

“You gotta be joking! Of course we’ll take it! Where do we sign?!?! Woo hoo!!” - Adonal Foyle’s agent after Chris Mullin offered his client a 5-year, $41.6 million deal.

Now THAT is a good sig. :laugh: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Youman
02-01-2005, 07:45 PM
archive.org
is my favorite just whe you ask for what band & type of media put the band 1st, then put ALL mediatype:etree
which is in conection w/ etree.org

Shade
02-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I used Suprnova. :(

What is the url for abc?

Dr Huxtable
02-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Guys, DO NOT be fooled by the link on Suprnova's website. The company that made it PAID the creators of Suprnova to endorse it- it is a program loaded with spyware. It's just not worth it.

For clients, I like ABC and BitTornado.

For websites, I like Loki Torrent And Torrent Spy.

Shade
02-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Guys, DO NOT be fooled by the link on Suprnova's website. The company that made it PAID the creators of Suprnova to endorse it- it is a program loaded with spyware. It's just not worth it.

For clients, I like ABC and BitTornado.

For websites, I like Loki Torrent And Torrent Spy.

Yeah, I was gonna post about that.

IsoHunt is decent, too.

Dab
04-16-2006, 02:07 PM
I really like uTorrent for a client; very small footprint, and jam-packed full of features. I like how it allows you to label your torrents -- I prefer to label them by tracker, but you can label them however you want, e.g. apps, music, movies. Labeling them allows you to view them by label, which is a big boon if you have a lot of torrents.

http://utorrent.com/

mininova.org and newnova.org are reasonable replacments for suprnova, although I tend to shy away from the big public trackers unless they have something I can't find elsewhere.

Oink.me.uk does kickass for music, best I've ever found, but getting registered there is difficult, even if you do manage to wangle an invite.

Peace out http://www.realdealstubblefield.com/forums/images/smiles/hippy.gif

04-16-2006, 02:18 PM
µTorrent , takes least bandwidth of all, the easiest to use and doesnt cheat with trackers, finds / opens / downloads extremly fast.

I liked Azureus, its actually the best one, but it KILLS your computers system memory with that crazy Java program and it KILLS your connection.

Lord Helmet
04-16-2006, 02:33 PM
µTorrent , takes least bandwidth of all, the easiest to use and doesnt cheat with trackers, finds / opens / downloads extremly fast.

I liked Azureus, its actually the best one, but it KILLS your computers system memory with that crazy Java program and it KILLS your connection.
You mean just while you're using it, right?

Hoop
04-16-2006, 07:40 PM
µTorrent is the latest greatest IMO. I have now switched from ABC to µTorrent.

Suaveness
04-16-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm using bittornado...not as good as utorrent?

04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
You mean just while you're using it, right?

Well ofcourse! :)

Lord Helmet
04-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Well ofcourse! :)
Yeah, I thought so.

Dab
06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
I think Azureus is by far the best.

try lokitorrent, torrentreactor, pirate bay(site is in another language but the torrents are in English), oink is great for music.

Pirate Bay raided, servers seized.

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1203