PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford reporting Sheed deal is going down......

Booger
02-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Damn. The flocking purple hippo beat me to it. :D

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Oh please let it be Detroit. He'll ruin that team.

On the other hand, if it's NY, then I officially move from "concerned" to "scared" where the Knicks are concerned.

Booger
02-19-2004, 02:43 PM

On the other hand, if it's NY, then I officially move from "concerned" to "scared" where the Knicks are concerned.

Yep, it's Detroit.

Don't worry, the Knickerbockers will have his sorry *** next year.

zxc
02-19-2004, 02:44 PM
That sucks for us. I don't know how you think Sheed will destroy Detroit. They are gonna be a much better team. Artest out and other top teams in the east improving.. gonna be a sad second half of season :(

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 02:45 PM

Yep, it's Detroit.

Oh I know. But I'll worry about next year next year.

Booger
02-19-2004, 02:46 PM
That sucks for us. I don't know how you think Sheed will destroy Detroit. They are gonna be a much better team. Artest out and other top teams in the east improving.. gonna be a sad second half of season :(

It'll be fun to see what the Pistons have left at the end of the day. They definitely won't be very deep for the rest of the year.

Unclebuck
02-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Let's see the Pistons get Sheed, the Pacers lose Artest.

This is one of the worst days ever

zxc
02-19-2004, 02:49 PM

It'll be fun to see what the Pistons have left at the end of the day. They definitely won't be very deep for the rest of the year.

They are trading Bobby Sura, Rebraca, Lindsey Hunter, and Chucky Atkins for him. Only player worthwhile on that list is Atkins and they can surley make up for his loss. Think they are getting Mike James in the deal to play backup, so they say elsewhere.

Booger
02-19-2004, 02:51 PM

They are trading Bobby Sura, Rebraca, Lindsey Hunter, and Chucky Atkins for him. Only player worthwhile on that list is Atkins and they can surley make up for his loss. Think they are getting Mike James in the deal to play backup, so they say elsewhere.

Provided the Pistons stay healthy, they're going to be extremely dangerous. If they sustain a couple injuries, it could be extremely dangerous to them.

High risk, high reward situation.

DisplacedKnick
02-19-2004, 02:51 PM

Yep, it's Detroit.

I'll take him for the MLE. Didn't want to have to trade anything decent for him.

And Detroit will have a free run at Okur.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Let's see the Pistons get Sheed, the Pacers lose Artest.

This is one of the worst days ever

Really Buck? Detroit trading away their entire bench for rent-a-Sheed worries you? I still think NJ will knock them out come playoff time. Unless you think we're gonna tank so bad we lose the #1 seed.

:hmm: :omg: :uhoh:

zxc
02-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Provided the Pistons stay healthy, they're going to be extremely dangerous. If they sustain a couple injuries, it could be extremely dangerous to them.

That goes for pretty much every team. If you lose a key player to injury you are going to be hurt. Those guys they traded supposedly are not going to make up for losing any of their key players. They are all worthless guys with ending contracts except for Atkins. Detroit is improving tons here unless the deal turns out to be something else.

Booger
02-19-2004, 02:55 PM
I'll take him for the MLE. Didn't want to have to trade anything decent for him.

I imagine Sheed will gladly accept the MLE from you guys in the summer. The Pistons will be able to re-sign Okur, and everybody's happy . . . except for Pacer fans.

Well, at least we didn't lose Artest today or anything . . .

Oh wait. :mad: :mad:

dipperdunk
02-19-2004, 02:56 PM
If that deal goes down then Atlanta should be thrown out of the league :mad: Thats not even close to a legit trade Sheed for a bunch of borderline scrubs, how Stern can let a shi*ty team like the Hawks affect the competitive balance of the top teams in the East is a joke. If Det. would have called Portland and offered those players Nash would have hung the phone up, to get Rasheed without having to trade one of their 6 best players is a joke. I mentioned it when Atlanta obtained Sheed that I thought they would buy him out and affect the top teams instead they just gave him away and affected the top teams, they affected the balance of the top teams. I'm angry and the 76ers aren't even in contention.

Hicks
Just once I'd like to able to trade our crap for a guy like Sheed (well, hopefully minus his personality sometime).

Or sign said guy for the freakin' MLE just because of where you are on the map.

Harddrive7
Ok guys please answer me on this, why is this trade able to go down. I thought that there was a 60 day hold on players being traded once they were traded to a team.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 02:57 PM

Yep, it's Detroit.

Sorry, got my wires crossed. Yep, works well for Zeke.

zxc
02-19-2004, 02:57 PM
If that deal goes down then Atlanta should be thrown out of the league :mad: Thats not even close to a legit trade Sheed for a bunch of borderline scrubs, how Stern can let a shi*ty team like the Hawks affect the competitive balance of the top teams in the East is a joke. If Det. would have called Portland and offered those players Nash would have hung the phone up, to get Rasheed without having to trade one of their 6 best players is a joke. I mentioned it when Atlanta obtained Sheed that I thought they would buy him out and affect the top teams instead they just gave him away and affected the top teams, they affected the balance of the top teams. I'm angry and the 76ers aren't even in contention.

I know, all these trades this season with the knicks and such now this are really absurd. Can't be good for the league =\

Booger
02-19-2004, 02:58 PM

That goes for pretty much every team. If you lose a key player to injury you are going to be hurt. Those guys they traded supposedly are not going to make up for losing any of their key players. They are all worthless guys with ending contracts except for Atkins. Detroit is improving tons here unless the deal turns out to be something else.

I agree with you completely. We're just coming at it from different angles...

Booger
02-19-2004, 03:01 PM
<edit> Damn't . . . beaten by the slap-happy hippo again. :mad:

I see your ctrl+c works better than mine.

zxc
02-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Here's the details:

Boston gets: Chucky Atkins, Lindsey Hunter and the Pistons first round pick this year.

Detroit gets: Rasheed Wallace and Mike James

Atlanta gets: Chris Mills, Zeljko Rebraca, Bob Sura and the Bucks first round pick owed to Detroit.

That is so terrible. So basically, Atlanta doing all this for a middle of the road 1st round pick since Sheed was cap space anyway? =\

Helps Boston some too.

PistonsDynasty
I like the Pacers but I found out Artest is out now. :cry: :cry:

Well atleast we have a team that can really give the West a run for their money in the finals.

Hicks
:laugh: Wow.

Who's gonna yell "Jinx!!" first? :laugh:

Hicks
02-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Well atleast we have a team that can really give the West a run for their money in the finals.

Hope so, if it's not meant to be us.

Not a huge fan of Detroit, but I like them a hell of a lot better than I do New Jersey, and like I said, if we're not in the Finals, I hope it's you and you win.

zxc
02-19-2004, 03:06 PM
I'd rather have the west roll over whoever gets to the finals again. If it can't be us, rather just keep the status quo.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Am I the only one who notices that Detroit doesn't have a real PG anymore? Bet Larry's just loving that.

Frankly, I just can't get worried about seeing Sheed in a Pistons uniform a grand total of once (Palm Sunday.)

Booger
02-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Here's the details:

Boston gets: Chucky Atkins, Lindsey Hunter and the Pistons first round pick this year.

Detroit gets: Rasheed Wallace and Mike James

Atlanta gets: Chris Mills, Zeljko Rebraca, Bob Sura and the Bucks first round pick owed to Detroit.

:blush:

:D

I still refuse to bow down to the almighty purple hippo. Pink hippo's are my weakness.

Shade
02-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Well, this has been a *****ty day. :unimpressed:

Harddrive7
Lets try this again

Ok guys please answer me on this, why is this trade able to go down. I thought that there was a 60 day hold on players being traded once they were traded to a team.

sixthman
I watched the Atlanta game last night. Sheed was very good and having a lot of fun.

Atlanta fans sure do get cheated this year. They lose two of their best players for a late first round draft pick and cap space.

Pistons will now be a lot tougher defensively you would think.

zxc
02-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Am I the only one who notices that Detroit doesn't have a real PG anymore? Bet Larry's just loving that.

Frankly, I just can't get worried about seeing Sheed in a Pistons uniform a grand total of once (Palm Sunday.)

Chucky Atkins was a real pg? He was no more of a PG than Billups. I think with Billups/James they barely lose a thing vs Billups/Atkins. Hope you are right about Sheed, but I think he is really gonna help them. His rating as a team cancer way overblown if you ask me.

Cactus Jax
02-19-2004, 03:10 PM
And ESPNews is still showing yesterday's highlights... :unimpressed: :unimpressed: :mad: :mad:

DisplacedKnick
02-19-2004, 03:11 PM

Yep, it's Detroit.

That's whats great about this trade. Wallace will do nothing but hurt Okur's value since I'm sure Wallace will be starting at C sometime soon, so it might not cost them as much now anyway. My fantasy team on the other hand........... :mad:

Ugh - didn't think about that. I have Okur on BOTH of my teams. :(

Kegboy
Lets try this again

I believe that's only in affect for deals over the summer. For example, in '98 Kenny Anderson was traded from Portland to Toronto, but he refused to play for them. He was traded to Boston a week later.

Cactus Jax
Lets try this again

A player can be traded again, if they are the only player that's sent away, by in this example the Hawks.

DisplacedKnick
02-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Lets try this again

I thought so too - not true.

Rasheed can be traded as long as Atlanta doesn't package another player with him.

DisplacedKnick
02-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Er, kstat - PD - take good care of our player for us would ya? :D

To be honest, as reliable as Sheed is, I don't place a whole lot of faith in his "I'll sign with the Knicks for less money." I'll believe it from Mr. CTC when I see it.

bulletproof
02-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Just once I'd like to able to trade our crap for a guy like Sheed (well, hopefully minus his personality sometime).

Hicks raises a good point. Why couldn't we make a run at something like this?

Ragnar
02-19-2004, 03:18 PM

There is a window of opportunity where you can trade the player again

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 03:21 PM

If you're refering to us pulling a similar trade:

One, we don't have ending contracts.

Two, we're the best team in the East and don't need to f-up our chemistry.

Three, Donnie (and, I would assume, Larry) know that renting a guy for three months is a bad idea.

Peck
02-19-2004, 03:24 PM

1) We have no expiring contracts. Assuming the CBA holds up until Croshere is in his last year, just WAIT for all the teams begging us to take him off our hands his last year.

2) It's Indiana. Players won't sign here for the MLE like they would in NY or anywhere else.

We have no expiring contracts. You mean like Ron Mercers, you know the one we had to dump last summer because nobody would have taken him off of our hands because nobody would want him or his expiring contract. :arrgh:

God d@mn the more I think on this today the more pissed I get about that whole Brad Miller thing. Not like I wasn't pissed before. ;)

Hicks
02-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Whoop, looks like the number for this thread is 46 posts.

If you're planning on locking it, don't.

Hicks
02-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Whoop, looks like the number for this thread is 46 posts.

If you're planning on locking it, don't.

Yes, I'm planning on abusing my powers for absolutely no reason.

Why would I do that? I've locked one thread as an Admin. One. That was today. Becuase we already had a Sheed thread going.

Then I misunderstood you. What were you refering to then?

bulletproof
02-19-2004, 03:31 PM
A frontcourt of Okur, R. Wallace and B. Wallace is absolutely scary. They are going to shred Al, Jeff and JO.

zxc
02-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Probably meant how many posts it took in this thread for someone to bring up Brad Miller.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 03:34 PM
A frontcourt of Okur, R. Wallace and B. Wallace is absolutely scary. They are going to shred Al, Jeff and JO.

Yep, that one whole game we play them's really gonna be awful.

Too paraphrase something Hicks said to a New Orleans fan:

3-0

ChicagoJ
02-19-2004, 03:36 PM

3-0

I'd feel better about that if we were full strength.

To paraphrase UB, I think I'm going to go shoot myself now.

What a bad day.

Booger
02-19-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd feel better about that if we were full strength.

To paraphrase UB, I think I'm going to go shoot myself now.

What a bad day.

Does anybody know how much it costs to support a crack habit? I'm thinking of picking up a new hobby to, um, er, ease the pain.

dipperdunk
02-19-2004, 03:44 PM

3-0

I think the bigger problem is you guys will probably run into Detroit in the playoffs. Rasheed is a knucklehead but with him at the 3 for Detroit there is no team in the East that can match up with him. Even as great as Artest is at the 3 he won't be able to defend Rasheed because of the huge height difference and make no mistake about it Larry Brown will have Rasheed in the post the entire game he won't be standing out at the 3 point line like he did in Portland. It also will eliminate Artest's post up game, before against Detroit Artest could manhandle Prince in the post but with Rasheed he is going to be at a serious disadvantage trying to post up a 6'11" player. Rasheed is a bonehead off the court but he can create nightmare matchups because of his size and ability.

tdeltdot
02-19-2004, 03:46 PM

I'd be more scared of Prince, Wallace, Wallace. That's some SERIOUS athleticism and versatility - at least defensively. And I used to be wowed at our Harrington, Ronnie, J.O. line-up...

Here's hoping that Bender can step it up for the Ps at some point.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 03:54 PM

Another thing, to try and put this in perspective. If that lineup is SO scary, then why is it that a lineup of Wallace, Randolph, and Davis was SO terrible? You people need to realize that Sheed's not the same player he was five years ago.

Shade
02-19-2004, 03:56 PM
If Bender lives up to his potential in these next few weeks, he's both tall enough and quick enough to give Sheed problems.

But that's a big IF, and I'm a Bender fan. :blush:

ChicagoJ
02-19-2004, 03:58 PM

Another thing, to try and put this in perspective. If that lineup is SO scary, then why is it that a lineup of Wallace, Randolph, and Davis was SO terrible? You people need to realize that Sheed's not the same player he was five years ago.

The unspoken element is that there's still Rip Hamilton and Chauncey to shoot the lights out of the ball from the perimeter.

Okur = Randolph; Big Ben > Dale.

Kegboy
If Bender lives up to his potential in these next few weeks, he's both tall enough and quick enough to give Sheed problems.

"I'm tall enough, quick enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!"

bulletproof

You're right. We have nothing to be concerned about.

zxc
02-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Well it is 3 eastern now. Guess nothing else happening. :(

tdeltdot
02-19-2004, 04:00 PM

Is Bender good enough of a defender to cover sheed on that end of the court? Haven't seen him play much, myself.

A line-up with Sheed and Prince also oughta be able to play transition o. as well as almost any team in the league.

Hicks
02-19-2004, 04:09 PM

"I'm tall enough, quick enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!"

:rotflmao:

ROCislandWarrior
02-19-2004, 04:16 PM
All I hear is pissing and moaning in this thread.......

I am with Kegboy

He's got a positive attitude...THE WORLD IS NOT GOING TO END

Why don't we all take a "watchful waiting" stance on this

The only thing that really upsets me is the fact WE lost Artest.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 04:26 PM
All I hear is pissing and moaning in this thread.......

I am with Kegboy

He's got a positive attitude...THE WORLD IS NOT GOING TO END

Why don't we all take a "watchful waiting" stance on this

The only thing that really upsets me is the fact WE lost Artest.

:highfive:

waxman
02-19-2004, 04:42 PM
I'll take our team into battle any night against anyone.

indygeezer
02-19-2004, 04:45 PM

Oh I'm with ya Waxman...I just wanted them to make it easier for the P's. Now I'm gonna have to sit thru many more close games...I'm getting too old for that.

waxman
02-19-2004, 05:07 PM

Oh I'm with ya Waxman...I just wanted them to make it easier for the P's. Now I'm gonna have to sit thru many more close games...I'm getting too old for that.

I hear ya Geez...today hasn't been the greatest day... but if last season was character building...this will be a challenge the Pacers look forward too...Everyone seems to be expecting the worst, when I actually don't think we've seen even close to the best the Pacers can offer....as good as the first half of the season was, record wise... I think this team is capable of much better play... we've haven't put together a complete game with all cyllinders firing on both ends of the floor all season. IMO

PistonsDynasty
02-19-2004, 06:17 PM
I'd rather have the west roll over whoever gets to the finals again. If it can't be us, rather just keep the status quo.

Come on man. You might hate the Pistons but that's just because they are in the same the divison. But elite teams in the West are Nazis. They are the worst scum in the NBA.

It's the lesser of 2 evils. Who do you really hate more? The top 5 in the West or the Pistons?

zxc
02-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Elite teams in the west are Nazis? Uh.. ok. I don't hate any team in the NBA really. Maybe the Nets don't care for their players much but that is it. I'd rather have Minnesota, Sacramento, or SA or someone win a title than anyone in the east but the Pacers.

Kstat
02-19-2004, 10:41 PM
My MY my, how the tides have changed...... :pepper: :dance: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance:

Anyway, Sheed's agent was on the radio and said Sheed is "open" to the idea of staying in Detroit. Joe also said that he would use Sheed's bird rights to resign him if possible. But if not, hey, at least we get to keep Okur. People forget Larry Brown is Sheed's BIGGEST fan. He goes way back with Rasheed and some of sheed's Carolina buddies are on our coaching staff. If the Pistons make a run in the playoffs with Sheed, I wouldnt rule him out as a Piston next season.

ly wont be sure how this will work out until tomorrow, but I know one thing: This is the best frontline sheed has EVER played on. He Okur and Wallace will be a heck of a tough frontline.

As for our bench, I think weve IMPROVED it. Prince, James and Corliss are hardly chopped liver. Hopefully Darko can earn some backup minutes.

Look at it this way: before today, I conceeded the conference to Indiana. Now all bets are off.

zxc
02-19-2004, 10:52 PM
but I know one thing: This is the best frontline sheed has EVER played on. He Okur and Wallace will be a heck of a tough frontline.

I don't know about that. Portland with Sabonis, Grant, Pippen, and others seems like it was better to me. Even JO sitting back on the bench there.

Kstat
02-19-2004, 10:56 PM
but I know one thing: This is the best frontline sheed has EVER played on. He Okur and Wallace will be a heck of a tough frontline.

I don't know about that. Portland with Sabonis, Grant, Pippen, and others seems like it was better to me. Even JO sitting back on the bench there.

Grant, Sabonis and Pippen (at that time) were past their prime. Okur and Wallace are both better players now than they were then.

Our guards are also better.

zxc
02-19-2004, 10:57 PM
I disagree. Portland 99/00 team would have killed these Pistons. I think you overrate your talent a bit. But hey, just opinions here.

Kegboy
02-20-2004, 01:03 AM
I disagree. Portland 99/00 team would have killed these Pistons. I think you overrate your talent a bit. But hey, just opinions here.

Absolutely, positively correct. When Brian Grant (a year before signing a max deal, however ill-advised) is your backup, you've got serious talent. Besides those mentioned, you had Detlef (his last good year) and Augmon as well. When Jermaine O'Neal and Stacey Augmon are your mop-up third-team guys, you've got a seriously strong defensive front line. Of course, they had to be with Stoudamire and Smith in the back, but they still forced 7 against that first Laker team, which I feel was by far the best since Phil came on.

(A funny side note, looking at that team's roster. Only 3 players played in all 82 regular season games for Portland that year: Steve Smith, Scottie Pippen, and Greg Anthony, with Pippen the only one starting all 82. What a difference 5 years makes.)