PDA

View Full Version : Artest to have surgery?

kerosene
02-19-2004, 01:17 PM
I just read this on another board. Says ESPN news is reporting it.

Anyone know about this?

ChicagoJ
02-19-2004, 01:20 PM
At the top of Pacers.com:

Artest to Undergo Surgery
Ron Artest will undergo surgery to repair a partially torn ligament in his left thumb. No timetable has been set for his return.

No article yet...

Hicks
02-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Kstat was telling me the same thing.

Shade
02-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Looks to be true. (http://www.nba.com/pacers/) :cry:

Booger
02-19-2004, 01:23 PM
:puke:

Al, it's time buddy. It's time. You've been waiting for this opportunity. Make it worthwhile.

Likewise JB, although we've all pretty much given up hope on you. You wanted us all to "see it" this year. It's not too late.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 01:24 PM
According to the Duke, Stepen A. Smith is reporting he'll be out indefinitely.

Welcome to the rotation JB.

Hicks
02-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Suddenly having Al doesn't sound so awful. I mean, yeah he kinda blew the other night, but so did everyone else. I think it was just one of those games.

Obviously this makes him the starting 3.

Not sure about Bender.

It makes sense to give him Al's role, but my guess is at least at first Carlisle will ignore him and give that spot to Croshere and let Pollard get more time.

Shade
02-19-2004, 01:29 PM
This is it for Al and JB. They either prove their worth NOW or we move them in the offseason.

I just hope Ron's back in time for the playoffs.

I think we can kiss 60 wins good-bye. :cry:

Southside_Pacer
02-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Yeah, just heard this on ESPN 950.

Supposdly surgery is today they say.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 01:30 PM
It makes sense to give him Al's role, but my guess is at least at first Carlisle will ignore him and give that spot to Croshere and let Pollard get more time.

That's possible, right up until we play NO again next Friday. The sight of Mashburn torching Croshere over and over and over again will make Rick change his mind.

Shade
02-19-2004, 01:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1739042

:cry:

bulletproof
02-19-2004, 01:31 PM
This is it for Al and JB. They either prove their worth NOW or we move them in the offseason.

And homecourt advantage if we make it to the finals.

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Anyone who saw Ron after he fell could tell it was serious. For him to be holding his hand as opposed to guarding his man, you know it's bad.

Shade
02-19-2004, 01:33 PM

And homecourt advantage.

Maybe in the Finals. We should still be able to secure the top spot in the East.

Of course, if New Jersey continues on their pace, and the Pistons get Sheed... :uhoh:

Hicks
02-19-2004, 01:33 PM

And homecourt advantage.

Woah, let's not overreact here. We don't exactly have the toughest schedule in the world, and Al can plug in for Artest.

I think assuming we give solid effort as often as we usually do, this costs us up to 5 (extra) losses.

Shade
02-19-2004, 01:35 PM
I guess I can safely come back down to my original prediction of 56 wins. That requires a 17-11 finish. If we don't at least get that, I'll be majorly :pissed:.

ChicagoJ
02-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Indefinitely. Ligaement surgery on his thumb.

If he's out 4-6 weeks, he'll just be getting back as the playoffs begin. I think making a move to win a championship this season with a "rental" center would be a bad idea right now, because a deep playoff run just became more of a challenge.

But I think this opens the door for the AC for Maurice Taylor trade.

bulletproof
02-19-2004, 01:36 PM

And homecourt advantage.

Woah, let's not overreact here. We don't exactly have the toughest schedule in the world, and Al can plug in for Artest.

I think assuming we give solid effort as often as we usually do, this costs us up to 5 (extra) losses.

Heck, we probably won't even make it to the playoffs now. :P

Booger
02-19-2004, 01:38 PM

I'm very curious to see how this team responds without Artest's defense. This is another test for Carlisle also.

The optimist in me wants to say that things like this happen for a reason, and at the end of the day, we'll be better off for it happening; even if that means we'll have fewer wins at the end of the year. This can make us a better team.

Of course, that's the optimist view. It's going to be rough sailing without Ron.

Shade
02-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Indefinitely. Ligaement surgery on his thumb.

If he's out 4-6 weeks, he'll just be getting back as the playoffs begin. I think making a move to win a championship this season with a "rental" center would be a bad idea right now, because a deep playoff run just became more of a challenge.

Yeah, this changes things considerably. I was originally for the GS trade, but now I'm having to re-think it.

Doesn't matter. There will be no trades for the Pacers this season.

ChicagoJ
02-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Indiana Pacers News Release
Indianapolis, Feb. 19, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Indiana Pacers announced Thursday that All-Star forward Ron Artest will undergo surgery for a ligament tear in his left thumb. Artest sprained the thumb Jan. 17 in a victory at New Jersey when it got caught in Richard Jeffersonís jersey, then re-aggravated the injury Tuesday night in the teamís loss at home to New Orleans. Artest was examined in Indianapolis Wednesday and it was determined that surgery would be required. No timetable has been set for his return. The surgery is expected to take place Thursday in New York City and will be performed by Dr. Michelle Carlson.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/artest_surgery_040219.html

able
02-19-2004, 01:45 PM
reduces the chances for a trade indeed, they were small to begin with but ok,

Ron ? let's face it, this is Ron Artest you're talking about, who's not betting he's back on the court within 3 weeks and in the starting line-up ? they have probably already ordered a protective glove :D

and yes I know it is seriour, but nothing any of us can do anything about, who was to expect Al to push him over just to get a starting spot? :laugh:

best thing about it is we will learn Al's real heart very quick

:stupid:

Hicks
02-19-2004, 01:45 PM
I want to say the brightside is when Ron's back, his shooting might finally be too because he's healed, but I bet he does this to himself another half dozen times in his career.

But hey, enjoy the pockets of health. :)

sixthman
02-19-2004, 01:48 PM

That's an interesting thought. No doubt Mo is the better post player and we will be losing Al's post play(and Ron's) as he takes Artest's minutes at "3".

I actually feel confident Bender will fill in well with steady minutes. Maybe this will be a blessing and make us stronger in the playoffs. Assuming Ron gets back healthy before the season's end, of course.

Booger
02-19-2004, 01:51 PM
I wonder if Reggie will try to be more assertive with Ron out of the line-up?

Roy Munson
02-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Considering his numbers over the past 5 weeks, I'd say the Pacers shooting percentages are about to go up.

Unfortunately, so will their opponents'.

Ragnar
02-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I bet this is why the Pacers are standing pat. They cant afford to trade Al now with Ron out of the lineup. We would go from having way to many sf's to not enought in a hurry.

Cactus Jax
02-19-2004, 02:05 PM
If Harrington and the team play well during this stretch without Ron, it will make this summer VERY interesting. Ronnie could possibly be traded during that time if the team is playing well.

This is Al's time to shine though. As many have said, this shuts down any trades involving Al, but the Mo Taylor trade could possibly happen now. With Bender getting more minutes the Pacers might try and get more of a spark off the bench.

indygeezer
02-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Putting the cart before the horse...

I wonder about Al's attitude when RA comes back and Al is returned to the 6th man role.

Booger
02-19-2004, 02:12 PM

I wonder about Al's attitude when RA comes back and Al is returned to the 6th man role.

He'll get over it. He always does... :)

dipperdunk
02-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Actually despite the fact this is bad news for the Pacers there are 2 positives.

1- It was a thumb injury so Artest will be able to continue running after the surgery and he will stay in cardio shape unlike a knee or ankle injury.

2- It is his left thumb and I know he likes to shoot left handed and use his left hand dribbling but it still isn't his shooting hand which is a positive.

But hopefully he will make a strong comeback in time for the playoffs I always hate seeing teams in contention for a title lose key players to injuries. :(

Cactus Jax
02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Actually despite the fact this is bad news for the Pacers there are 2 positives.

1- It was a thumb injury so Artest will be able to continue running after the surgery and he will stay in cardio shape unlike a knee or ankle injury.

2- It is his left thumb and I know he likes to shoot left handed and use his left hand dribbling but it still isn't his shooting hand which is a positive.

But hopefully he will make a strong comeback in time for the playoffs I always hate seeing teams in contention for a title lose key players to injuries. :(

Yeah I'd probably expect a 2-4 week timetable for Ronnie to be out.

indygeezer
02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Taking the way out spazoid thought...

the Dampier trade was rumored to include Dunleavy a sweet shooting, ball handling (slow footed) Small Forward. So if they REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Dampier for the 5 spot...

Kegboy
02-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Taking the way out spazoid thought...

the Dampier trade was rumored to include Dunleavy a sweet shooting, ball handling (slow footed) Small Forward. So if they REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Dampier for the 5 spot...

No no no no no no no No NO!!!

Sorry, but if Brian Cardinal takes minutes away from you on a regular basis, you're a bum. No way do I want Dunleavy anywere near our team.

ABADays
02-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Interesting. This could possibly cost Harrington the Sixth Man of the Year Award.

Unclebuck
02-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Pacers are a 60 win team with Ronnie but a 50 win team without Ronnie, that equates to a 17-12 record that will still get them homecourt in the east, but not overall.

Just won't be as much fun to watch the Pacers every night now

ABADays
02-19-2004, 02:47 PM
But still more fun than watching IU :laugh:

ABADays
02-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Awwwwwwww :devil:

ChicagoJ
02-19-2004, 07:49 PM
I think this bears repeating on the proper thread:

Anybody wishing Ron would have just had the surgery back in January?

Some quick research on torn ligaments in the thumb:

http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=29

If you have surgery, you will be placed in a thumb spica cast for four weeks. Some doctors will take the spica cast off at four weeks and then place your thumb in an immobilizing splint for another two weeks. Some patients work with a physical or occupational therapist to help regain range of motion and strength in the thumb. Most patients are able to return to normal activity three months after their surgery.

Emphasis Added

So since he's a professional athlete and not a "most patients", lets say he's back on the court in six weeks. That gives him and the team the last week of the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. Not much time.

Hicks
02-19-2004, 07:50 PM

If you have surgery, you will be placed in a thumb spica cast for four weeks. Some doctors will take the spica cast off at four weeks and then place your thumb in an immobilizing splint for another two weeks. Some patients work with a physical or occupational therapist to help regain range of motion and strength in the thumb. Most patients are able to return to normal activity three months after their surgery.

Emphasis Added

So since he's a professional athlete and not a "most patients", lets say he's back on the court in six weeks. That gives him and the team the last week of the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. Not much time.

Well, it's not like the whole team is going to sit on its hands until the last week. Plus, Ron's always ready to play, so he'll only have rust for a game or two max (remember last year when he missed the preseason? Couldn't tell in the reg. season).

I think we'll come together quick when Ron comes back.

ChicagoJ
02-19-2004, 07:58 PM

Emphasis Added

Well, it's not like the whole team is going to sit on its hands until the last week. Plus, Ron's always ready to play, so he'll only have rust for a game or two max (remember last year when he missed the preseason? Couldn't tell in the reg. season).

I think we'll come together quick when Ron comes back.

The difference is that assumes he's coming back right as the splint comes off. I know its his non-shooting hand and he's a tough guy but I'm not sure he'll be cleared to play *that* quickly anyway.

I'm really not trying to be a "prophet of doom", but this is serious stuff here. Really, this is what has put me in a bad mood today - Wallace to Detroit for nothing was just the "icing on the cake."

able
02-19-2004, 08:31 PM
The difference is that assumes he's coming back right as the splint comes off. I know its his non-shooting hand and he's a tough guy but I'm not sure he'll be cleared to play *that* quickly anyway.

I'm really not trying to be a "prophet of doom", but this is serious stuff here. Really, this is what has put me in a bad mood today - Wallace to Detroit for nothing was just the "icing on the cake."

splint off ???????

HO STOP, this is Ron ARTEST we're talking about, remember, the BEAST?

I'll wager you a bottle of Dahlwinnie (16+) he'll be on the practise floor WITH the splint and finding ways to get to play with that same splint on.

Let's face it, the man is a junkie, without a fix of ball a day he would wither away, die, dissapear.

I know, normal mortals like you and I being competitive would be back in approx 6 weeks, mere mortals take the route described, (tose who have a boss to go to and a healthy insurance cover on the stay at home sick line) but geesh, this is something different, you think you can stop him from playing? This is the same man they had to kick out of Conseco over the summer so he could have a day off!

:stupid:

ChicagoJ
02-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but he'll have to be cleared by a doctor who will recognize that until the tendon and the rest of thumb regain some strength, it will be fairly easy to hyperextend the thumb or rupture the tendon. Not only that, but there might be a rule that prohibits him from being on the court during a game if he is wearing a splint - for the safety of the other players.

I know he's tough - that's not the point - this is surgery for a torn tendon and these things take time. I've had knee surgery - I knew how quickly I could get back onto the track and race after a regular injury, but once they start cutting and sewing tendons back together its an entirely different world.

Unclebuck
02-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Carlisle on his radio tonight said artest will be gone at least 4 weeks and max of 8 weeks.

But from what Rick said it was just a matter of time, because the thumb kept poping out of joint

Tim
02-19-2004, 11:16 PM

Are you aware that a couple o weeks back Ron was not going to play a game, then at the last minute decided he was going to play but wanted to come off the bench.
Al then told Rick to start Ron to maintain the rotation.

Al always had a attitude about the team, I don't see why he gets slammed so much here.

MagicRat
02-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Just won't be as much fun to watch the Pacers every night now

Do you have a 23 jersey with "Artest" on the back and front?...... ;)