PDA

View Full Version : Um, I'm not saying anthing but....

Peck
02-18-2004, 02:27 AM
from today's star.

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest is an All-Star and a team captain this season. But he's still capable of mishaps.

Artest, who played in the NBA All-Star game in Los Angeles on Sunday, had to come off the bench in Tuesday's 89-75 loss to New Orleans for missing Monday evening's practice.

He finished with 13 points in 31 minutes, hitting 1-of-10 field goal attempts and 11-of-16 free throws. He had four rebounds, one assist, no steals and four turnovers.

He was not made available for comment in the locker room afterward.

According to Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, Artest gave up his seat on the team's 16-seat charter flight from Los Angeles on Sunday night so that he could return to Indianapolis with his family. After reaching the airport in Los Angeles, however, he was unable to purchase a ticket for a flight that returned in time for the team's 6 p.m. workout.

"It's consistent with our protocol regarding the situation," Carlisle said. "If a guy misses a practice, he misses a start and we move on."

Artest also was benched for the start of the Pacers' game against Memphis on Dec. 29 after arriving late for the morning shootaround.

Artest wasn't the only All-Star to miss Monday practice sessions. Philadelphia's Allen Iverson missed his team's first post-break practice in Denver. Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal called in sick for his team's practice in L.A.

The NBA is negotiating with the NBA Players Association to extend the break by one day to help avoid travel difficulties. In exchange, the veterans will report to training camp the same time as the rookies, instead of three days later as they did this season.

"That makes sense," Carlisle said. "It's going to be especially appropriate when the All-Star game is out West. You lose time traveling back to the East and it makes it difficult, not only to get back but to get your body clock adjusted before you have to practice."

I've highlighted the part that kind of perked my curiosity.

I know I know there is nothing to it, but it does make me wonder.

Natston
02-18-2004, 02:29 AM
I'm not worried about last night's loss or Ron's missed flight. :cool:

Unclebuck
02-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Peck, what does it make you wonder?

Hicks
02-18-2004, 09:19 AM
This is a non-issue. Ron switched flights to be with his family, but they couldn't get a flight that got him to Indy on time for practice. He lost his starting job for the night, and they moved on.

Bball
02-18-2004, 12:25 PM
It peaks his curiosity probably for the same reason(s) it worries me.
A: Artest does have a history that can't be ignored
B: Saying Artest 'was not available for comment' is curious. Why bother to mention that at all unless you add 'why' he wasn't available?
C: The Star has went out of its way so many times to hide any warts with the team that when you add A and B together it makes some of us 'curious' . It's hard to take that comment at face value considering the above.

-Bball

ChicagoJ
02-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Help me out here, when Ron and JT were benched earlier in the season, did they start the second half on the bench as well? I certainly noticed that Ron was on the bench at the beginning of the third quarter, which is when the avalanche began in my opinion.

bulletproof
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
B: Saying Artest 'was not available for comment' is curious. Why bother to mention that at all unless you add 'why' he wasn't available?
C: The Star has went out of its way so many times to hide any warts with the team that when you add A and B together it makes some of us 'curious' . It's hard to take that comment at face value considering the above.

-Bball

Ever hear the story of Chicken Little?

beast23
02-18-2004, 12:54 PM
"He was not made available for comment in the locker room afterward."

Actually, good pickup Peck. That escaped me the first time.

Rather than saying that Artest had no comment, it specifically states that he WAS NOT MADE AVAILABLE for comment.

But I agree with the others. Nothing to worry about. I just think that it's just the Pacers protecting Artest by not putting him in a situation where his emotions might cause him to say things that could present him in a bad light publicly.

Actually, I would say that it is a good idea for any franchise to do everything in its power to separate outside sources and a discipliined player for about 48 hours or so to give the player a "cooling off period", so to speak.

Nothing to worry about. And probably a smart move by the Pacers.

Unclebuck
02-18-2004, 01:23 PM
You guys are making way too much about this.

The reporters go into the locker room I think 20 minutes or so every every game. Every player is available if they are still there or not hiding somewhere.

So my guess is Ronnie left before the press got inside the locker room.

If some of you are thinking the pacers management or coaching staff did not make Ronnie available, that is highly unlikely.

Bball
02-18-2004, 03:04 PM

-Bball

Ever hear the story of Chicken Little?

Someone has to play the paranoia card... might as well be me! ;)

wintermute
02-18-2004, 11:32 PM
well, the mystery is explained. his thumb was re-injured, so i guess he'd rather take care of it than stick around for the reporters :pimp: