PDA

View Full Version : My Hobby

realtyczar
12-29-2004, 03:06 AM
When I got back into sports after a long layoff this past Summer, I dug out my ball cards. I used to be in the sports card business and got out of it in 1990. Since them I have sold off most of my cards, but kept my Colts and Pacers. My little vice said that this was going to be a special year for both of them. (Okay, I will have to wait until 2005, but you know what I mean.)

I had about 100 Colts cards and about 25 Pacers cards. Mostly from 1989-90. I started buying packs and went to the local sports card shop and bought some cards. The cards I didn't want, like every other team, I traded with fans who collect them and got more Colts and Pacers in return.

Right now I stand at about 1000 Colts cards and about 350 Pacers cards. Yes, I have some doubles in there, but not too many. I probably have abut 100 Manning cards alone, from starting with zero!

I'm not bragging, just wanted to share with you all my hobby. I find it's a good way to catch up on the players that are no longer Colts, that I remember playing. Who knows, maybe some day I will get the player to sign the card.

I even created a web-site dedicated to my collections.

http://indianapoliscoltsfootballcards.20m.com
http://indianapacersbasketballcards.20m.com

Most of you are saying BFD, but it's something I enjoy.

Deadshot
12-29-2004, 03:20 AM
I too collect cards - and the ironic thing was that I was thinking about making a thread tonight for it :)

I focus mainly on basketball though. I have collected Ron Artest cards for awhile now, and I am trying to start a David Harrison collection as well. I have lots of scans on my site, as well as scans of some of my other cards, as well as my IU collection. I hope everyone will enjoy looking at my site - let me know what you think of it all. Thanks!

www.geocities.com/projectdewu

realtyczar
12-29-2004, 03:43 AM
How do you get your cards mostly? I have been posting on about every group on MSN and Yahoo about trading cards. I have had some guys reply and say they want to trade, then sent me a "FOR SALE" list.

I just started to get into the GU. I have a couple coming from Yahoo Actions. I found that you can find them pretty resonable on yahoo.

I haven't ventured into the the Autos, unless I go to a show and there is someone I want to sign. I did that years ago with Eric Dickerson. A buddy and I drove to Atlanta and met him at a car show. We hung out with him all day. He was a very cool person. Not what I expected at all. He came across very intelligent.

Since I live in Charlotte, NC. I have started on a Carolina Panther site. I can get a lot more autographs of them. I sent a card to Jake Delhomme's home and included a stamped envelop for return back. He signed the card and returned it. Actually he signed 2 for me. I sent him one a couple of weeks later for a co-worker and he signed that. I did that for Julius Peppers and haven't seen the card back. He probably tossed it.

Being in real estate I can find just about all the Carolina players address', but not all have football cards. I haven't found the secret to the Marion County GIS system yet. When I do, it might be worth getting a few Colts and Pacers Autographs.

http://carolinapanthersfootballcards.20m.com

Trust me, I haven't gone over to the dark side. :laugh:

Did you buy the card graded or did you use a service like Beckett's?

PS: I like your site. It looks a lot classier than mine.

Deadshot
12-29-2004, 03:55 AM
They now actually insert autographed cards into packs, but the odds are real slim. I have only pulled one basketball auto that I recall of, and I buy A LOT of cards - lucky for me it was a nice Travis Best auto (even though I never really liked him, it was a really cool card). I trade a lot of my cards online or buy them on ebay. The site I trade on is awesome - its www.sportscardforum.com. My name on there is Deadshot as well.

As far as the graded cards go, I either buy them that way or get them from other people. You can send cards in to be graded, but its all a big hassle to me (or it seems like it would be, never actually had a card I figured was worth it). Thanks for the comments on the site - keep up your cool collection as well!

realtyczar
12-29-2004, 10:57 AM
They now actually insert autographed cards into packs, but the odds are real slim. I have only pulled one basketball auto that I recall of, and I buy A LOT of cards - lucky for me it was a nice Travis Best auto (even though I never really liked him, it was a really cool card). I trade a lot of my cards online or buy them on ebay. The site I trade on is awesome - its www.sportscardforum.com. My name on there is Deadshot as well.

As far as the graded cards go, I either buy them that way or get them from other people. You can send cards in to be graded, but its all a big hassle to me (or it seems like it would be, never actually had a card I figured was worth it). Thanks for the comments on the site - keep up your cool collection as well!
I just now when and signed up. Maybe I can trade some of my Baseball cards for Colts or Pacers. :D

MSA2CF
12-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Czar, do you have any notable baseball cards?

realtyczar
12-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Czar, do you have any notable baseball cards?
All my cards are from the late 80's. I have some great cards, Griffey Rookies, The Big Unit Rookie cards, a TON of Reds cards from mid 60's thru early 90's. 200 Cubs cards from the late 80's and 150 Chisox cards from the late 80's as well. Close to 150 George Brett cards.

I got rid of most of my cards when I got out of the bisiness. The ones I kept, I gave 3600+ baseball cards to my ex-fiancee's nephews. (She wasn't my ex yet.)

MSA2CF
12-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Interested in letting any of those Randy rooks go?

:innocent:

realtyczar
12-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Interested in letting any of those Randy rooks go?

:innocent:
I have 2 1989 Donruss Rated Rookie card with Randy in his Montreal Expos Uni. The back of the card talks about him being in Indianapolis in 1988! I would have liked to see him pitch at Busch Stadium! :D

Anyway, I'll trade them for a Colts Auto or Game Used card, any player. Or something else. I'm flexible.

Deadshot
12-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I just now when and signed up. Maybe I can trade some of my Baseball cards for Colts or Pacers. :D

Great to see that - I'm sure you will get used to everything there. They have a great feedback system to help traders be aware of good and bad traders as well. Right now I've really been trying to trade for a Reggie Miller rookie on there :)

PacersColtsfan
12-30-2004, 01:36 AM
I have a Cal Ripken Fleer rookie card(yeah I know Fleer wasn't that good that year but...) anyone want to trade some Colts cards for? I have been out of card trading for many years, so I don't have any of the current Colts.

Deadshot
12-30-2004, 05:02 PM
This is just a suggestion, but would this thread get more views in another forum?

realtyczar
12-30-2004, 05:19 PM
This is just a suggestion, but would this thread get more views in another forum?
I can't/won't post over on IS board. But I'm open to suggestions. 'czar.

Deadshot
12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
I think I phrased that wrong - I meant another section on Pacers Digest. I've never posted at the IS boards.

realtyczar
12-30-2004, 05:47 PM
I think I phrased that wrong - I meant another section on Pacers Digest. I've never posted at the IS boards.
Ahhh! Maybe it would. I havne't been on here that long. Which one?

Deadshot
12-30-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm not quite sure - my guess would either be the Pacers forum or the Entertainment forum.

realtyczar
12-30-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm not quite sure - my guess would either be the Pacers forum or the Entertainment forum.
Probably wouldn't hurt. Which ever you think is best.

I started a new thread over in the ENTERTAINMENT section.