PDA

View Full Version : While dreamin' up trades...

indygeezer
02-17-2004, 05:04 PM
don't forget we have a trade excception from the Mercer to Spurs trade over the summer. We could actually offer someone a tiny bit of cap relief and take back more salary than we give up (ASSUMNING we don't care about the cap).

Pig Nash
02-17-2004, 05:13 PM
i don't quite get what we got for mercer and turkoglu. (i wasn't here then)

Ragnar
02-17-2004, 05:16 PM
We got a trade exeption and cap room in the form of Danny Ferry who we cut his non guaranteed contract.

sixthman
02-17-2004, 05:39 PM
RealGM team data shows the trade exemption at a little over 2 million.

ESPN originally at the time of the trade said the exemption was in excess of 4 million.

Either way, I don't see the Pacers using it because we are near, if not in, luxury tax territory.

One way it could be used and not increase team salary is if used in a trade involving one of our BYC players.

I would be surprised if that happened, too.

Hicks
02-17-2004, 07:43 PM
And now there's a rumor that the Spurs are going to trade Mercer for Mutombo. I feel sorry for Mercer. Never really sticks to a team.

Probably a reason for it though. I've heard he had one of the worse attitudes on this team last year. And there has to be a reason he had been to at least 3 teams before us (I know of Denver, Chicago, and Boston).

Cactus Jax
02-17-2004, 07:45 PM
And now there's a rumor that the Spurs are going to trade Mercer for Mutombo. I feel sorry for Mercer. Never really sticks to a team.

Probably a reason for it though. I've heard he had one of the worse attitudes on this team last year. And there has to be a reason he had been to at least 3 teams before us (I know of Denver, Chicago, and Boston).

That's a great deal for the Sprus although they might lose Ginobili unless Deke is a free-agent.

kerosene
02-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Source: LA Times writer who nailed the Jamison to Dallas, and Hawks/Portland trades.

Warriors would trade Erick Dampier and Speedy Claxton to Indiana for Al Harrington and Scot Pollard.

He didn't say which team made the offer.

http://forums.warriorsworld.net/main/msgs/584938.phtml

Chew on this one for a bit... :o

Cactus Jax
02-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Source: LA Times writer who nailed the Jamison to Dallas, and Hawks/Portland trades.

Warriors would trade Erick Dampier and Speedy Claxton to Indiana for Al Harrington and Scot Pollard.

Who is this writer, and is there a link to a non-forum page? Interesting idea, although I think Tinsley or at least Brewer would have to go to GS in my opinion.

Hicks
02-17-2004, 10:16 PM

Wow. I might do that since Speedy is locked up for a while. He's been playing great since Van Ex went down. Dampier might leave, but that's the risk you take.

Same here.

My only concern is I know we've wanted more cap space and that probably means we're trading Al to rent Dampier, and I don't like that but in the meantime we have he and Jeff as our C's. Not too bad.

Plus, if this is Al secretly wanting to start or be traded, we need to do something anyway.

kerosene
02-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Who is this writer, and is there a link to a non-forum page? Interesting idea, although I think Tinsley or at least Brewer would have to go to GS in my opinion.

If someone knew the name of the writer then his cover would be blown wouldn't it? The poster on the forum communicates with some writers and has posted some correct info before. Take that for what it's worth.

Also, someone on that board who has been around a long time and has claimed to be close to Dampier many times in the past is saying the same thing is being worked out now. Again, take that for what it's worth.

Would you do that deal?

Hicks
02-17-2004, 10:21 PM
I didn't get to see the game tonight, so that didn't factor in for me. But we need someone like Speedy in the Eastern conference. And Dampier as a rental would help us a ton this year, and it would be worth it if the higer-ups really believe we have a chance this year.

Oh definitely. I'd not ***** if we did this trade. I just have the sinking feeling Damp is GONE after this year, but still in the meantime we sit pretty.

Also, to go with the idea that this is a legit possibility, remember that DW has always and still does believe JB is the next "It" guy for the Pacers, and this would finally allow him to play solid minutes, for better or worse.

kerosene
02-17-2004, 10:24 PM
I think GS would be stupid to give up Speedy the way he has played recently but I dunno. Stranger things have happened.

able
02-17-2004, 10:25 PM
would do that one in a heart beat and Dampier "might" be gone, but if we make a run in the playoffs, he will probably have to think a while :D

Always nice playing on a winning team.

we're allowed to dream but if this is anywhere near real then PLEASE

:stupid:

Hicks
02-17-2004, 10:34 PM
I think GS would be stupid to give up Speedy the way he has played recently but I dunno. Stranger things have happened.

I agree, I don't know why they'd ship him out since he's played so well this season.

Word is Van Exel isn't opting out, so maybe they're just going to stick with him.

Also, maybe we're giving them one of our 4 PGs back for a scrub on their side.

Anyway, I think this is real. It may not happen, but I believe it's really being worked over.

It just makes too much sense. We rent a legit C for a playoff push, lock up a quality backup PG for the next couple or so years to pair with Tinsley, and if Damp leaves he provides the cap relief we've wanted. Plus, with Al gone, Bender gets those minutes and they've wanted him to get more time for a while. It just fits.

kerosene
02-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I'd think GSW would rather trade Van Exel than Claxton _but_ trying that with Indiana would almost certainly require Croshere to be included in that deal. Don't see them taking on that contract right now.

Hicks
02-17-2004, 10:37 PM
It just makes too much sense. We rent a legit C for a playoff push, lock up a quality backup PG for the next couple or so years to pair with Tinsley, and if Damp leaves he provides the cap relief we've wanted. Plus, with Al gone, Bender gets those minutes and they've wanted him to get more time for a while. It just fits.

Speedy isn't a back-up for us. He's just too good right now at least.

Really? Wow. Even better.

Suaveness
02-17-2004, 10:42 PM
We lose bench scoring.

kerosene
02-17-2004, 10:43 PM
You also have to consider that if Jerry West has really been trying to get Dampier since summer then he's probably working on a counter offer if something like this is being seriously discussed. He has a bunch of tradable pieces that could work out to be a better deal for GSW.

Hicks
02-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Projected lineup:

Claxton/Tinsley
Miller/Jones
Artest/Bender
O'Neal/Croshere
Dampier/Foster

Not bad. Not bad at all.

obnoxiousmodesty
02-17-2004, 10:51 PM
I have been against trading Al for most of the past two seasons, but over the past few weeks my mind has been achangin'. I'm for this deal if it goes down.

Hicks
02-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Woah.

Didn't realise this:

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm

Damp's only a FA this summer if he opts out. If he likes it here, he can just leave it and we have him locked for the next two seasons. :o

kerosene
02-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Good lord, this trade has taken on a life of its own over on the Golden State board. Click on "Forums" to see all the new threads about it. :o

Yup. Quite the hot topic.

Cactus Jax
02-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Woah.

Didn't realise this:

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm

Damp's only a FA this summer if he opts out. If he likes it here, he can just leave it and we have him locked for the next two seasons. :o

Hate to burst the bubble a bit Hicks, but I'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't opt out.

indytoad
02-17-2004, 11:08 PM
I've always liked Speedy, ever since his Sixer days, and it seems like he's gotten better. I don't really like the idea of renting Dampier though. How far under the cap would we be next season if he walks? Would be able to get anyone? Hostory seems to dictate we wouldn't even if we could. And if we did end up paying Damp, I'd worry he'd end up just being a one-season wonder... On the other hand, for this season he and Speedy are exactly what we need.

IndyToad
Wanna go to Sizzler?

Hicks
02-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Yeah, Damp would probaly opt out, but at least there's a shot he woudln't. I mean, if he fits in well here, surely he'll see what his in right now. It will come down to what's more important to him: More cash on a worse team, or decent cash on a championship level team?

ROCislandWarrior
02-17-2004, 11:12 PM
I will tell you exactly why WE DO THIS DEAL

and I will tell you exactly why WE DON'T DO THIS DEAL

1. We do this deal because Bird and Walsh think by adding Damp and Clax we can make an honest attempt at a chip. We give up Al, but we gain a solid PG and a Solid Center.

In the playoffs the rotation is cut and the starters minutes all go up. Bench scoring becomes less of an issue.

We would prob. only play 7 maybe 8 guys a night. and our bench is solid enough.

2. We don't do this deal because, even with clax and Damp, we don't have a shot at a title. We are still looking a year or two down the road to win the rings. We will lose Al, and our Regular season record will suffer because our bench is weakend.

Bottom Line: I want a 'chip....DO THIS DEAL...

so what if we lose 4-6 more games in the regular season because Al isn't here to fill the gap on "those" nights.

ALL that matters is WINNING in the playoffs

indytoad
02-17-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah, Damp would probaly opt out, but at least there's a shot he woudln't. I mean, if he fits in well here, surely he'll see what his in right now. It will come down to what's more important to him: More cash on a worse team, or decent cash on a championship level team?

Yeah, it's possible, but seriously, how often does this happen? Very, very rarely. And usually only with players that have made a lot already.

IndyToad
Didn't hesitate

bulletproof
02-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Good lord, this trade has taken on a life of its own over on the Golden State board. Click on "Forums" to see all the new threads about it. :o

Link please.

indygeezer
02-17-2004, 11:43 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...YES...even more than Cato.

In the words of the "Captain"....

"MAKE IT SO"

Shade
02-17-2004, 11:44 PM
I like this trade quite a bit. My only concern is how JO will react if Al is sent packin.'

indygeezer
02-17-2004, 11:46 PM
I like this trade quite a bit. My only concern is how JO will react if Al is sent packin.'

7 years $129 million and a trip to the finals...he'll get over it.

Shade
02-17-2004, 11:48 PM
After thinking about it a bit more, I hope the trade happens.

DO IT DONNIE!

Hicks
02-17-2004, 11:58 PM
I was getting buzzed until I was reminded Memphis can probably offer better stuff than us (if the rumors are true).

And I read Aldridge saying on Fast Break that Memphis sounded like Damp's destination. :(

Hopefully, we get he and Speedy instead of them, but I worry about West. :(

Sorry to be a killjoy.

Hopefully this happens.

indygeezer
02-17-2004, 11:58 PM
YEs, I'm sooooo in favor I'd throw in our #1 pick and the trade exception (somehow)

our #1 gets gauranteed money even if he's the 29th pick...so we'd save that off the cap

indygeezer
02-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Fast BreaK???? is that a column on ESPN I don't know of???

BTW...tonight's game reinforces what I fear...teams with either speedy gaurds or big PHYSICAL front courts have their way with us....and it only gets worse later in the year when eveyone gets really focused on the PO's.

Hicks
02-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Fast BreaK???? is that a column on ESPN I don't know of???

BTW...tonight's game reinforces what I fear...teams with either speedy gaurds or big PHYSICAL front courts have their way with us....and it only gets worse later in the year when eveyone gets really focused on the PO's.

Fast Break is a show on ESPN2 tonight. It's where they're in studio and check in on games in progress and show highlites.

As for your fear, notice how this trade helps in both respects. :D

Merz
02-18-2004, 12:41 AM

Speedy isn't a back-up for us. He's just too good right now at least.I agree, and even if I didn't I couldn't argue with a dancing purple hippo :bowdown:

bulletproof
02-18-2004, 01:03 AM
The ONLY way this is even considered (not a sure thing), is if they signed Dampier.
NO FREAKING WAY IN 100 HELLS do they trade a future star in AL to RENT Eric Dampier (that's NOT Kareem Jabbar!) and get a backup pg.
NOT EVEN CLOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE. ;)

You still don't seem to get it, man. Al ain't our future star. He's somebody elses.

What's Claxton's game anyway? never seen him.

You need to follow more games. You made this same comment about Al—that you need to watch more games to make a fair evaluation.

Natston
02-18-2004, 01:04 AM
What's Claxton's game anyway? never seen him.

I wasn't the only that didn't watch the finals... ;)

kerosene
02-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Claxton is averaging something like 16 pts 7 assts starting in place of Van Exel. More of an uptempo player but his halfcourt vision seems to be coming around. Gives up a few TOs but tends to make it up in steals or charges taken. Lately has been gambling for more steals. Must've picked Amare's pocked 3 or 4 times in that game last week. Very quick kid, not a bad defender but can get posted up by guys like A. Miller or B. Davis pretty easily. Has a 3 year 9 million deal. Good value.

bulletproof
02-18-2004, 01:41 AM
Claxton is averaging something like 16 pts 7 assts starting in place of Van Exel. More of an uptempo player but his halfcourt vision seems to be coming around. Gives up a few TOs but tends to make it up in steals or charges taken. Lately has been gambling for more steals. Must've picked Amare's pocked 3 or 4 times in that game last week. Very quick kid, not a bad defender but can get posted up by guys like A. Miller or B. Davis pretty easily. Has a 3 year 9 million deal. Good value.

So would you say he's more like "A Love Supreme" or "My Favorite Things?" Dig the avatar, man.

kerosene
02-18-2004, 01:43 AM
So would you say he's more like "A Love Supreme" or "My Favorite Things?" Dig the avatar, man.

Maybe more like Giant Steps; uptempo and breaking out :D

Thanks!

bulletproof
02-18-2004, 01:58 AM

Maybe more like Giant Steps; uptempo and breaking out :D

Thanks!

Giant Steps is how I got introduced to Coltrane. Love it. But My Favorite Things is transcendental.

kerosene
02-18-2004, 02:01 AM
I'm a big fan of all of it except for maybe Interstellar Space and some of that. I picked up the Heavyweight Champion box recently, nice to have all that in one place. I think the single Impulse reissues are better than the impluse box because of all the extra versions. I swear this stuff get reissued every 4 years with more "unheard" tracks. Just the labels way of milking what does sell in their jazz catalog i suppose.

Pig Nash
02-18-2004, 03:46 PM
5 pgs :o

What do we do with one or two of them?

Aw Heck
02-18-2004, 05:06 PM
If that trade goes down, do the P's do the Croshere for Maurice Taylor trade to replace the Al's scoring/low post offense off the bench?? Or does that screw up the team's chemistry too much?

Dampier/Foster
O'Neal/Taylor
Artest/Bender
Miller/Jones/Johnson
Claxton/Tinsley

:neutral: