PDA

View Full Version : Bender: "Oh, yeah," "It's feeling close to what it did in high school.

Unclebuck
12-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Let the Bender watch begin. I am not giving up on the guy, anyway what choice do we have.

Without Artest and Al, Bender becomes a very necessary player. The Pacers need him now. Pacers current active roster is filled with one-demensional players.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/205063-2844-179.html

Bender getting close

Jonathan Bender hopes to be ready for activation Jan. 4, when the Pacers play Milwaukee.

Bender has been on the injured list since Nov. 19 to give him time to strengthen specific leg muscles and build up tissue in his knees to try to prevent the injuries that have plagued him the past two seasons. He missed 61 games last season and 36 two years ago.

He's encouraged by his progress.

"Oh, yeah," he said. "It's feeling close to what it did in high school. It's starting to feel real, real good."

DisplacedKnick
12-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Without Artest and Al, Bender becomes a very necessary player. The Pacers need him now. Pacers current active roster is filled with one-demensional players.

As opposed to Bender who is a none-dimensional player.

Unclebuck
12-27-2004, 11:04 AM
As opposed to Bender who is a none-dimensional player.

Somehow I knew you would chime in on this topic.

Ragnar
12-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Ahh the anual Bender will return soon article :puke::puke::puke::puke:

Jose Slaughter
12-27-2004, 11:06 AM
"Oh, yeah," he said. "It's feeling close to what it did in high school. It's starting to feel real, real good."

I remember fondly the last time I spoke those very words.

Unclebuck
12-27-2004, 11:08 AM

I remember fondly the last time I spoke those very words.

That's funny

sixthman
12-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Kudo's to Jose for a little laughter over a situation that hasn't been very funny, at least to me.

DisplacedKnick
12-27-2004, 12:00 PM
Somehow I knew you would chime in on this topic.

I just think at some point people have to give up the ghost. I guess it's your team, but I'm not waiting on Tim Thomas to turn into a franchise player.

Hicks
12-27-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm past being encouraged by such quotes, but it's still nice to read, as I've yet to cross the bridge over to "Burn him at the stake" territory. I hope he feels great and plays like it.

Hicks
12-27-2004, 12:09 PM
I just think at some point people have to give up the ghost. I guess it's your team, but I'm not waiting on Tim Thomas to turn into a franchise player.
Is that your perception? That those of us who still, if even a little, believe in Bender expect him to be this all-star franchise guy? I don't think that's true, not for at least a year or two.

I still have "high" expectations. But those expectations are like 13 and 6 and a block or 2. Franchise player? Ha.

Unclebuck
12-27-2004, 12:09 PM

Yes but we've seen Tim Thomas. Bender really has never played consistant minutes. If Bender plays the rest of the season and is healthy, then I'll tell you how good he is or will be

Suaveness
12-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Problem is Bender will never get consistant minutes because he is always hurt. So there will always be people who can use this excuse to let Bender still be possibly the greatest man alive.

Just get rid of him and use the roster spot for someone more useful.

Bball
12-27-2004, 12:20 PM
While it would be nice if he could come back and contribute consistently and just be more of the benefit than a liability... and not end up injured again... his record speaks for itself.

Based on past history it is easy to say 'ain't happenin'' :(

-Bball

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Franchise player? Ha.

I agree, but I can't even tell you how cool it would be if you were wrong.

Outlaw
12-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Well put me in the Pro Bender catagory.I think you just don't give up on an athletic 23 yr. old 7ft guy.Let's see if he can get the injury bug behind him.:cool:

I remember not so long ago there was a Bender bandwagon thread if I'm not mistaken. :-p

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Well put me in the Pro Bender catagory.I think you just don't give up on an athletic 23 yr. old 7ft guy.Let's see if he can get the injury bug behind him.:cool:

I remember not so long ago there was a Bender bandwagon thread if I'm not mistaken. :-p

Werd!

DisplacedKnick
12-27-2004, 12:55 PM
I wish I'd saved my post from May, 2002 on Bender. I'd repost it if I had since I've seen nothing to change my opinion in the past 2-1/2 years.

Still saving up enough crow for the barbecue - especially for everyone who said, "Let's give him one more season."

Deadshot
12-27-2004, 12:57 PM
So he's almost healthy now? That's good - I wouldn't want to trade an injured player! :laugh:

Nah...no one wants that contract :(

Anthem
12-27-2004, 01:07 PM
So... this is only three games away. Nawlins tonight, Charlotte on Wecmesday, Jersey on Thursday, and then he'd come back against the Bucks next Tuesday?

That's not very long.

Cactus Jax
12-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Well, I'm happy that he's healthy. Like I said in a topic before, if anything else goes wrong with the knee, the Pacers should really examine the knee and even if Bender has no apparent injury there, they need to sit him out for the rest of the season.

This is what it took for Grant Hill to shake his injury(ies) and I feel it might take Bender the same type of thing.

Bball
12-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm happy that he's healthy. Like I said in a topic before, if anything else goes wrong with the knee, the Pacers should really examine the knee and even if Bender has no apparent injury there, they need to sit him out for the rest of the season.

This is what it took for Grant Hill to shake his injury(ies) and I feel it might take Bender the same type of thing.

Sitting and surgeries wasn't it?

Also... Waiting on Grant Hill is one thing... waiting on Bender is another. Altho, what choice do we have?

-Bball

Kegboy
12-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Yes, his knees concern me, but I still think he can be a franchise player. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he took Ron's starting spot and kept it when Jack came back.

And yes, if anyone needs me, I'll be sitting in the corner with my rose-colored glasses on. :cool:

Perhaps I need a Bender Bandwagon sig. It did wonders for Primoz, you know. Anybody want to make one?

Hicks
12-27-2004, 02:05 PM
I would if I could, and I want one. :D Who made that one for you? I remember someone made the Primoz one, a Fred one, and a James one, but I'm drawing a blank on who made it. Was it Snickers? Where is he anyway? Snick, if you're out there, and it was you, can you make a Bender one?

If he doesn't, can someone else?

ABADays
12-27-2004, 02:34 PM
:whistle:..

Deadshot
12-27-2004, 02:38 PM
I made one, but its not very good looking, and quite frankly its plain. I don't have PhotoShop, but I just thought I would try it anyway. Trust me, if you want to pass on it, thats fine by me (I don't blame you):

http://img61.exs.cx/img61/3604/bender7ux.jpg

Unclebuck
12-27-2004, 02:56 PM
I wish I'd saved my post from May, 2002 on Bender. I'd repost it if I had since I've seen nothing to change my opinion in the past 2-1/2 years.

Still saving up enough crow for the barbecue - especially for everyone who said, "Let's give him one more season."

I remember that post, it turned into quite a thread.

Jose Slaughter
12-27-2004, 04:17 PM
I made one, but its not very good looking, and quite frankly its plain. I don't have PhotoShop, but I just thought I would try it anyway. Trust me, if you want to pass on it, thats fine by me (I don't blame you):

http://img61.exs.cx/img61/3604/bender7ux.jpg

Can you try again, but this time use a picture of Bender in a suit so we can recognize him.

:-p

Kegboy
12-27-2004, 04:40 PM
All I remember is ABA or Rat or somebody flat out refused to make a Bender one. :(

ABADays
12-27-2004, 05:13 PM
:whistle:..

Deadshot
12-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Can you try again, but this time use a picture of Bender in a suit so we can recognize him.

:-p

Couldn't find a picture in a suit believe it or not - but I made this just for you :)

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/1717/benderbench7ey.jpg

;)

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-27-2004, 05:41 PM
I would love for Bender to prove us all wrong, but I am afraid it won't happen. We have been waiting forever for him to have his breakout year, and this was supposed to be it with the trade of Baby Al.

ABADays
12-27-2004, 06:09 PM

:-p Funny as hell!!!!!!!! Oops :whistle:

Eindar
12-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Well, even if Bender is a total bust, and even if he can't seem to stay healthy, even you haters should be extremely happy to hear Bender is coming back, if for no other reason than we need bodies, especially at the SF/PF positions.

However, if he stays healthy, he's gonna have about 10 games where he will start at SF and get as many minutes as he can handle before Jax returns. That'll be good, because we've been pretty solid and consistent at every position except SF. Face it, James Jones is a very good shooter, but he's slumping right now, and teams have made the adjustments to him. One thing nobody can deny is that Bender produces when he is on the floor. Also, at times, with him, O'Neal, and Harrison on the floor, you'll have 3 guys who are very legitimate shot blocking big guys.

Worst case scnario? He comes back for a couple games, hurts himself, and we've lost nothing. At this point, to not be excited for him to return just proves that you're bitter and angry about it, and nothing he does will be good enough for you. All you need now is a pimp hat and a cane, and you can get on Chappelle's Show as a Hater.

PacerMan
12-27-2004, 09:14 PM

The kid is TWENTY THREE YEARS OLD!!!!!! Get a clue.
TT never showed 1/3 the ability that JB has in the flashes between injury.

Anthem
12-27-2004, 10:04 PM

Not been watching the Pacers for long, ehh?

He destroyed us in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Of course, he's never played that well since, but still.

timid
12-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Well, even if Bender is a total bust, and even if he can't seem to stay healthy, even you haters should be extremely happy to hear Bender is coming back, if for no other reason than we need bodies, especially at the SF/PF positions.

However, if he stays healthy, he's gonna have about 10 games where he will start at SF and get as many minutes as he can handle before Jax returns. That'll be good, because we've been pretty solid and consistent at every position except SF. Face it, James Jones is a very good shooter, but he's slumping right now, and teams have made the adjustments to him. One thing nobody can deny is that Bender produces when he is on the floor. Also, at times, with him, O'Neal, and Harrison on the floor, you'll have 3 guys who are very legitimate shot blocking big guys.

Worst case scnario? He comes back for a couple games, hurts himself, and we've lost nothing. At this point, to not be excited for him to return just proves that you're bitter and angry about it, and nothing he does will be good enough for you. All you need now is a pimp hat and a cane, and you can get on Chappelle's Show as a Hater.

Good point. Bender plays great "when" he's healthy. I would love for this guy to come back and play consistently. I'll wait on him.

DisplacedKnick
12-28-2004, 09:33 AM

Don't know anything about basketball do you?

Tim Thomas at age 20: 11 pts, 4 rebounds in 23 minutes/game - started 48 of them.

At age 23, 13 pts, 4 rebounds/game, runner-up for sixth man of the year.

Jon Bender - a five-year raspberry. I was going to compare numbers but there's really no point is there?

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Bender has shown SOME flashes, but he also has proved he is very inexperienced and sometimes lost out there. I remember against Detroit during a full court press he dribbled the ball right into the corner and got doubleteamed, tried to throw it away and it got stolen for an easy dunk.

sixthman
12-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Bender has shown SOME flashes, but he also has proved he is very inexperienced and sometimes lost out there. I remember against Detroit during a full court press he dribbled the ball right into the corner and got doubleteamed, tried to throw it away and it got stolen for an easy dunk.

So what? Every player who has played the game has done stupid stuff, including Reggie last night before the half. Bender needs health and playing time, sadly the second can't come before the first.

Hicks
12-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Reminder that Bender is not always injured. 2001-02 season he played 78 games.

PacerCrazy
12-28-2004, 01:55 PM
It is forgetable

Kegboy
12-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Not only that, but he was playing very well by the end of the year. He owned Glenn Robinson in a must-win OT game at the end of the season.

Anthem
12-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Bender's biggest problem (besides the injuries) is that he's never had a "place" on this team. Donnie gambled big to get him, but then built the team in such a way that he couldn't contribute. He's only ever gotten playing time when guys ahead of him have been injured.

He's got a real chance now, let's see what he does with it.

DisplacedKnick
12-28-2004, 03:50 PM
I don't think he has a place now. He shouldn't play SF and at PF/C Harrison's emerged, making it tougher to get minutes there.

They may use him at SF just because of how JJ's been doing but that isn't his position.

Anthem
12-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Well, we agree that PF is a more natural fit for his abilities. But right now, there's a slot open at a position he could conceivably play. That's the closest thing to a place he's ever had.

_PD_
12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Yeah, that was his big season -- 7pts & 3 rbnds in 21 minutes per game.

Altho, what choice do we have?
Perhaps Antonio Davis is still available.

jmoney2584
12-29-2004, 04:57 AM
Jon Bender - a fie-year raspberry. I was going to compare numbers but there's really no point is there?

That's F****** hillarious, damnit Bender !

indygeezer
12-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Jonathan Bender is going to be HUGE in this league one day soon. Unless he has an injury they aren't talking about (ala Steve Stipanovich) he will gain strength and stability in those knees and shoulders as he ages. His body is just catching up to it's own growth now and as it matures/strengthens the injuries will deminish. As he learns to trust that he isn't going to get injured every time out, and as he learns to play thru injury, he will gain the confidence to go out and play his game. A game that ya'll are going to be :blush: that you ever bashed.

I WILL NOT GIVE UP ON JB. HE WILL BE A FORCE IN THE NBA.

naptownmenace
12-29-2004, 05:25 PM
I would if I could, and I want one. :D Who made that one for you? I remember someone made the Primoz one, a Fred one, and a James one, but I'm drawing a blank on who made it. Was it Snickers? Where is he anyway? Snick, if you're out there, and it was you, can you make a Bender one?

If he doesn't, can someone else?

Here is my contribution to the "Keep the Bender Hype Alive '05" campaign:

Unclebuck
12-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Nap, good to read a post from you again. I always enjoyed our discussions bacjk in the day, post more often if you can

naptownmenace
12-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Nap, good to read a post from you again. I always enjoyed our discussions bacjk in the day, post more often if you can

Thanks for noticing me, Buck!

I've been lurking a lot more recently but in the past months I've been very busy with work and other interests. I'm still a Pacers die-hard though.

On another subject, what do you guys think of the Bender Banner? It looked better as a jpeg but that file was too large to upload, so I had to convert it to a .gif. As a closet Bender fan, I still like it though.

Hicks
12-30-2004, 01:04 PM
It's pretty good. I have to admit that I've grown attached to the look and feel of the ones for Fred, James, and Primoz, and hope the creator of those gives Bender a try for consistency.

PacersandIU
01-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Bender is either really unlucky, or just a sissy...he needs to take a lesson from Austin (playing with a broken thumb and rib) and Ron (thumb surgery and come back a couple weeks early). I always look forward to Bender, Fred, and Tins being in the game at the same time... oops and dunks like nobodys business...

ReggieMiller8325
01-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Bender Bender Bender what is wrong with you with getting injured anyways i think bender can be the second kg look at his skills carefully can pop the j block shots rebound the ball handle the ball hes quick for a big man and hes 7-0 dosen,t that kinda of sound like kgs game.

recap
01-02-2005, 02:12 AM
,,,?..,,.',.?

JO_pace
01-02-2005, 02:32 AM
,,,?..,,.',.?
i guess kg = kevin garnett, j= jumper?~