PDA

View Full Version : Fans behind bench at Conseco

Deadshot
12-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Right now on Sportscenter, Bill Walton was talking about how sometimes the fans behind the benches don't behave too well at Conseco. Some examples he used were with AI, racial matters, etc. I know this has to go on at pretty much every arena, but is Walton's report really accurate?

Maybe someone else saw this, I hope I was able to recall everything correctly.

able
12-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Bill Waltong and the words "fact" or "truth" should not be mentioned in one sentence, preferably not even on the same page.

Lord Helmet
12-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Its funny.Now they are trying to act like its all the Pacers fans fault.I guess everyone forgot where the brawl happened.That is why I'm not watching the ESPN telecast.They will talk about the fight non-stop plus you have to hear Bill Waltons dumbass.

Deadshot
12-25-2004, 01:52 PM
I really have never liked Bill Walton, and some of the stupid things that come from his mouth are downright ridiculous (IE: in a Warriors game last year he was wondering why Cardinal wasn't an all-star, lol). That's why I was posting this here - I don't really remember the Iverson issue..

Bball
12-25-2004, 02:13 PM
No comment on the Walton and the fans at Conseco (I didn't hear that). On his game commentary tho you guys have to realize sarcasm and hyperbole are part of Walton's schtick. You don't have to like that (or him) but don't assume he's always serious with some of the comments he makes.

But if anyone is bypassing ESPN's coverage not to hear Walton's schtick- He's not doing the Pacers game. He'll be doing Lakers v Heat. They just interviewed him prior to the game and that is where he was talking and I assume he made the Conseco fans comment. I missed most of that altho I heard him in the background. Did he say that the Pacers were trying to figure out a way to cut their ties to Artest or did he question if they might be doing that?

-Bball

Guaransheed
12-25-2004, 02:58 PM
No comment on the Walton and the fans at Conseco (I didn't hear that). On his game commentary tho you guys have to realize sarcasm and hyperbole are part of Walton's schtick. You don't have to like that (or him) but don't assume he's always serious with some of the comments he makes.

But if anyone is bypassing ESPN's coverage not to hear Walton's schtick- He's not doing the Pacers game. He'll be doing Lakers v Heat. They just interviewed him prior to the game and that is where he was talking and I assume he made the Conseco fans comment. I missed most of that altho I heard him in the background. Did he say that the Pacers were trying to figure out a way to cut their ties to Artest or did he question if they might be doing that?

-Bball
Basically he said they would love to cut ties with Artest, never said if they could or would. These reports have been around for a long time about the Indy fans making racist comments.

sweabs
12-25-2004, 04:29 PM
How were the fans today at Conseco?

Bball
12-25-2004, 04:37 PM
I never heard anything about fans at Conseco/MSA being anything other than loud until AI said his piece. That one alleged incident got a lot of traction but AFAIK there's never been a longterm issue with that type of thing in Indy. As a matter of fact, I don't believe it was exactly confirmed that AI was accurate or not blowing something out of proportion.

But what that does all point to is how ONE thing can snowball and now it gets tagged onto the "Mow Down in Motown" as more evidence of the Pacers' fault in the whole melee.

-Bball

Hoop
12-25-2004, 04:41 PM
The racists claims have never ever been proven, AI saying it doesn't make it so. Pacer players, fans and the ushers said it was not true, even AI tried to back out of the statement later. Our own players would have been upset with Pacer fans if it were true.

Outlaw
12-25-2004, 04:48 PM
I liked Walton as a player, when healthy, whichwas not very much. But I can't stand to listen to him as an announcer.:cool:

DisplacedKnick
12-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Didn't some other players come out and say those fans were pretty bad? Don't recall who exactly - or what they reported - it may have even been where they said they were rough but not blatantly racist.

But when you get 18,000 people in one place, there are bound to be some bad fans. Check the "What I Want for Christmas" thread for an example.

Bball
12-25-2004, 05:35 PM
Didn't some other players come out and say those fans were pretty bad? Don't recall who exactly - or what they reported - it may have even been where they said they were rough but not blatantly racist.

But when you get 18,000 people in one place, there are bound to be some bad fans. Check the "What I Want for Christmas" thread for an example.

Especially with JO back, the Pacers better start turning this around or there won't be 18,000 people in one place to worry about.....

-Bball

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-25-2004, 11:14 PM
I think this is total bs. Those seats in the lower level cost a pretty penny, especially the seats behind the teams' benches. Most of those seats are owned by the "elite of Indianapolis." You are telling me that the elite of Indy is going to be yelling racial remarks at players? Please, give me a break.

To follow up some more, at the time Iverson made those remarks, the white guys we had were Smits, Croshere and Mullin ( I think that was it) the rest of the Pacers were BLACK. Are you telling me that the Pacers players would just allow people to be called ******s all day? Do you not think that, oh I don't know, some of those comments would affect them? Hmm...

ReGgieMiLLeR31
12-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Walton is an idiot...he also said that the "Players Union" should be embarrassed and ashamed for appealing David Stern's authority in the matter of J.O. SJAX & Ronnie...it makes me sick how ESPN idiots are ordered to be the NBA mouthpiece....it makes me want to throw up.

Unclebuck
12-25-2004, 11:49 PM
When Antonio McDyess went into the stands to try and save the ball, the guy who sat behind me yelled "25 games". I thought that was really funny

Kegboy
12-26-2004, 12:48 AM
When Antonio McDyess went into the stands to try and save the ball, the guy who sat behind me yelled "25 games". I thought that was really funny
Well yeah, after that girl couldn't stop her nose from bleeding I said, "Hey, that's more blood than from the entire brawl."

Granville
12-26-2004, 01:09 AM
I know from personal experience that four or five people right behind the bench are brutal (not in a funny way). In fact, I have been the guest of one and will not go back because I was embarassed. They have also been kicked out of the arena a few times.

Natston
12-26-2004, 11:51 AM
The people around me, were more harsh on Delaney rather than the Pistons (except for Big Ben).