PDA

View Full Version : Does Carlisle know something we don't about Artest's suspensions

Unclebuck
12-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I just listened to the Rick Carlisle show, (Thanks, MR.) And Rick said twice about 30 minutes apart something to the effect that maybe Stern will change his opinion on Artest's suspension.

I find that strange that Rick wouyld say that twice. I get the impression that he believes that there is a slight chance something might change the situation. Maybe there is something Ron can do that might get him back on the floor.

Or am I just dreaming. But why would Rick say that twice, we know Rick is very measured in what he says.

First, did anyone else hear what I heard, maybe I am dreaming all this.

Second, what could Artest do. Take medication, counseling, several meetings with Stern.

Anthem
12-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Because he regards Ron as an important piece to winning this year, and so is holding out hope that he'll come back?

Unclebuck
12-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Because he regards Ron as an important piece to winning this year, and so is holding out hope that he'll come back?

Darnit, throw me a bone, it is Christmas afterall. (your explanation is a good one though)

Anthem
12-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Seriously, UB, I've wondered the same thing. I did think it's odd that the Pacers are still not saying "Ron's not coming back." Walsh, for example, made that "he'll be back eventually, either this year or next" comment, which I thought was odd. And Ron's still not allowed to comment, which would be weird if the whole process was over.

I think something's going on in the background, probably at the B.o.G. level.

Hicks
12-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Good observations. If the door was really closed on Ron's suspension, he'd be allowed to talk about it. That plus the comments you've both pointed out, I agree something is up.

Bball
12-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Maybe they don't just want to admit defeat yet? Maybe they want to send a signal to the league that they might have some tricks up their sleeve?

And maybe they want to keep up the hopes of the fans and/or players? That is the one I'm most inclined to believe.

-BBall

Hicks
12-24-2004, 01:33 PM
I seriously doubt that last one, Bball. IMO it'd be condescending of them to do that, and an insult; leading people on like that.

Bball
12-24-2004, 02:11 PM
I seriously doubt that last one, Bball. IMO it'd be condescending of them to do that, and an insult; leading people on like that.

Well, it's not like anyone said "Mark my words, we're going to get Artest back this season. If by some reason we don't it won't be because we didn't try every avenue available to us. We will go the last mile on this one"

They have just made comments that implies the door isn't entirely shut yet. They are pretty innoculous statements really. Maybe they just haven't accepted the finality of the situation themselves.... or maybe they don't want to be seen as on opposite sides of the fence with the players...or as 'giving in'?

I think some people are really reading too much into the statements and it is only condescending if you read too much between the lines and then learn it is simply a bit of salve for the team and/or public..... but I could be wrong! ;)

The comments on their face, if my reasoning is correct, don't really cross the line where I'd consider it condescending. But that is me...

-Bball

TheSauceMaster
12-24-2004, 04:12 PM
I think there is something going on , but what who knows ..this maybe one of those behind the scene things that everyone is trying to keep hush , hush. I am wondering if Stern is 2nd guessing on how tough these suspensions were , Stern is just not gonna magically say one day " I was too harsh" there will be some inside deal.

The Best thing for Ron to do is lay low , Get on medication and Therapy if a Doctor deems it something that needs to be done , get more involved in the community.

PaceBalls
12-24-2004, 06:50 PM
ya let's put him on meds that will solve the problem.

DRUGS R BAD! Pills are not the answer for all reactionary persons. Pfizer has brainwashed the world... Do you take pennicilin or antibiotics every time you sneeze?? no! Same with all the depression bipolar anxiety happy pills that anyone who has a bad day are prescribed.

Granted they might do some people good, the real suicidal off the deep end folks, but I think its sick how they are handed out/prescribed like candy.

Anthem
12-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Granted they might do some people good, the real suicidal off the deep end folks, but I think its sick how they are handed out/prescribed like candy.

No kidding. Most of the great men in history would have been medicated.

Lord Helmet
12-24-2004, 08:07 PM
When the suspensions were first handed out I thought there was a good chance we would get all of the suspensions reduced.Now we have JO's reduced.Only JO's and hell he may have to go back on the suspension list but I doubt that.Kaplan thinks all the rest of the suspensions were ok which I don't agree with.I at first thought we had a chance to get them all reduced.But I think it is safe to say Ron is done for the year :( Maybe I'm wrong and I hope so.Maybe they are holding super secret talks but I don't know.

Unclebuck
12-24-2004, 11:07 PM
BR I agree with you 100% on the "drug issue"

TheSauceMaster
12-25-2004, 03:34 AM

DRUGS R BAD! Pills are not the answer for all reactionary persons. Pfizer has brainwashed the world... Do you take pennicilin or antibiotics every time you sneeze?? no! Same with all the depression bipolar anxiety happy pills that anyone who has a bad day are prescribed.

you sir are ****ing moron , I take this as a personal attack I have bi polar disorder and I am on Meds and they help me but according to you that would put me in the "real suicidal off the deep end folks" :rolleyes:

This is the kind of Ignorance I hate when it comes to a mental illness or disorder :unimpress

Peck
12-25-2004, 06:52 AM
you sir are ****ing moron , I take this as a personal attack I have bi polar disorder and I am on Meds and they help me but according to you that would put me in the "real suicidal off the deep end folks" :rolleyes:

This is the kind of Ignorance I hate when it comes to a mental illness or disorder :unimpress

I am pretty sure that Burtrem meant to say that "prescribing medications to everybody who has some form of depression or anxiety is not always the best answer. However it has proven very effective in the treatment many people. There is no one cure for all people but for some it does help"

Or at least that's what I wish he'd said. :buddies:

Peck
12-25-2004, 07:02 AM
Ok, here is my thoughts on this because I know your dying to know. ;)

1. Stern laid down the law.

2. Other than the oft mentioned few (pacers fans, jocks, etc.) it was wildly popular.

3. Stern stood his ground.

4. The NBA is denying that Kaplan has any authority.

5. Kaplan basically agreed with Stern.

6. The NBA doesn't care what Kaplan thinks.

7. The court has intervened.

8. The court has not yet ruled.

These are just some of my thoughts as to what has happned. Now here is what I beleive will happen.

If the court rules in favor of Kaplan then this is dead and done. J.O. will be back, Jax will be back eventually but Artest is toast.

If the court rules in favor of the NBA, my opinion based on what Carlisle is saying is this.

Walsh & Stern will negotiate through backdoor channels and something like this might happen.

Ron will miss past the all-star break. The Pacers will make a very public campaign about Ron getting "help" and Ron will be doing lots & lots of good citizen type things.

Somewhere around the end of Feb. or the beggining of March Stern will make a statement that the NBA is very pleased with the progress Ron is making and that a deal with stipulations has been worked out to allow Ron to return to the team, under a very strict code of conduct.

Ron would then return to the team mid March.

Hey, it's christmas so I thought I'd throw you a bone. :)

Now here is the reality.

Stern doesn't want Ron in the NBA, period.

Walsh doesn't want the headache that is Ron Artest on the team.

Bah Humbug. ;)

stipo
12-25-2004, 08:43 AM

Q.What do you do with a physical illness?
A.Go to the doctor and get a script.

Q.What do you do with a mental illness?
A#1.Nothing, because medications for mental problems admit weakness and tell everyone that you are crazy. It's best just to suffer because that's just the way God made you.
A#2.Get some help. Medications are now available to stop the suffering and very bad quality of life.

I prefer answer number 2. Yes, their are some who shouldn't be on meds, but in the overall scheme, that's a far less problem than not getting help to those who need it, IMO. There ARE those who get anti-biotics every time they have a cough, but anytime there are meds of any kind, there will be mis-use. I think there are far more people who could use mental meds and are not getting them because of the social stigma.

Yes, many of the great men and women thoughout history probably suffered some amount of mental illness, and meds would have improved their lives greatly. But that would not have lessened their greatness.

DisplacedKnick
12-25-2004, 09:04 AM
I suppose it's possible Ron might get his supension reduced but now that Kaplan upheld it I don't see a chance. I think you had a better chance if it had never gone to arbitration - Stern could make some sort of statement which amounts to "Ron got the message and is making nice-nice". Now you have two people in their official capacity of assigning punitive "sentences" who saw the same thing - hard to change it at this point. Ron making nice-nice doesn't cut it any more.

Unclebuck
12-25-2004, 10:40 AM
If the court rules in favor of the NBA, my opinion based on what Carlisle is saying is this.

Walsh & Stern will negotiate through backdoor channels and something like this might happen.

Ron will miss past the all-star break. The Pacers will make a very public campaign about Ron getting "help" and Ron will be doing lots & lots of good citizen type things.

Somewhere around the end of Feb. or the beggining of March Stern will make a statement that the NBA is very pleased with the progress Ron is making and that a deal with stipulations has been worked out to allow Ron to return to the team, under a very strict code of conduct.

Ron would then return to the team mid March.

Hey, it's christmas so I thought I'd throw you a bone. :)

Wow, Peck, you are very generous on Christmas. I sense you don't really believe it.

Unclebuck
12-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Shade here is the thread I referred to

Shade
12-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I sure hope so. :pray:

PaceBalls
12-26-2004, 09:01 PM

Well, I suppose your "bi-polarness" makes it impossible for you to function as a normal person in the world without some mind control pills, so I'm glad it helps you.

I don't know you except on this board, so it's hard for me to question whether you are a moron or not, or if you were brainwashed into taking them, I hope you weren't and I wish you a speedy recovery in your mental illness. Or are you stuck taking meds forever? bummer if so.

At any rate good luck.

FireTheCoach
12-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Now here is the reality.

Stern doesn't want Ron in the NBA, period.

Walsh doesn't want the headache that is Ron Artest on the team.

Bah Humbug. ;)

Yep. I will go as far as to say that Nov. 19th 2004 was Ron Artests final game as a Pacer. I just don't see him being back on this team again..... ever.

bah humbug indeed!!!!

ReGgieMiLLeR31
12-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Ron will be back and help us win a championship, amd I wouldn't be surprised if it was by the end of the season.

Slick Pinkham
12-26-2004, 11:51 PM

While I agree that they shouldn't be passed out like candy, "behavior therapy" drugs have turned lives around 180 degrees, from a living hell to a full and productive life.

I have a family member who was simply unable to function in society due to severe social anxiety. This was noticed in childhood, when she would not speak at school at all, and would not participate in anything.

Psychologists and psychiatrists were of little help. A forward-thinking doctor prescribed her Prozac for 2 years, then weaned her off it gradually.

She became an honor student, sociable girl, engaged in athletics, and in every respect a normal girl.

I shudder to think what would have happened to her without medicines.