PDA

View Full Version : Antoine Walker rumors...

dipperdunk
12-24-2004, 10:42 AM
An article from the Boston Herald mentioned that the 76ers, Celts and Pacers are interested in Antoine Walker who is on the market. I don't know anything about Lenny Megliola or his sources.

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=60348

But, as usual, the problem is money. Walker is making $14.6 million and in order to offset a contract like that the Celtics would have to deal players with contracts who approximate that figure. The 76ers, said the source, are ``desperate to get Walker.'' Philly coach Jim O'Brien [news] coached Walker when both were with the Celtics. The Pacers, without suspended star Ron Artest, are interested in Walker, too.

Unclebuck
12-24-2004, 10:49 AM
I think Bird has always spoken highly of Walker.

Ca't imagine who the Pacers would give up.

Mourning
12-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Personally, I don't want Walker, but isn't he in the last year of his contract or something. Atlanta needs more players too. This works, but I doubt the Hawks would give up such a huge contract in the off season for it:

Atlanta trades: PF Antoine Walker (20.7 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.2 apg in 40.5 minutes)
Atlanta receives: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
C Scot Pollard (8.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 26.3 minutes)
SF James Jones (7.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 25.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.3 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

Indiana trades: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
Indiana receives: PF Antoine Walker (20.7 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.2 apg in 40.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -3.3 ppg, -5.0 rpg, and +1.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Indiana being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Indiana had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Pig Nash
12-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Atlanta receives: PF Austin Croshere (13.8 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.1 apg in 35.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +1.6 ppg, +6.0 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

Indiana trades: PF Austin Croshere (13.8 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.1 apg in 35.9 minutes)
Indiana receives: PF Antoine Walker (20.7 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.2 apg in 40.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -1.6 ppg, -6.0 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Indiana being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Indiana had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

And that's actually not a bad deal. They get a big expiring contract in pollard. A couple years of AC and we get Antoine. I don't know if i like him here but this trade actually does make sense. Especially with the glut he have up top right now. Frees up mins for DH.

Cactus Jax
12-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Personally, I don't want Walker, but isn't he in the last year of his contract or something. Atlanta needs more players too. This works, but I doubt the Hawks would give up such a huge contract in the off season for it:

Atlanta receives: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.3 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

Indiana trades: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -3.3 ppg, -5.0 rpg, and +1.0 apg.

Regards,

That trade would make some since if Atlanta wanted to do it, which I doubt. Bender and JJ give them pieces at the 3, while Al could play the 4, and Pollard would be a solid back-up for them for a couple years. That contract is as nice as how much I may dislike having Walker on the team.

Deadshot
12-24-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm all for giving Bender up - and despite improvement, we could afford to lose Pollard as well. James Jones would be nice to have in the future, but he just doesn't seem comfortable shooting now. I'm not quite sure what his Pacers future holds anyway.

But Walker...he's a decent player, but like others has his flaws. As mentioned, his contract is a pain to take on. If he were to come, I don't want to see him camping out on the 3 line and bricking shot after shot; take the ball down low Antoine!

SoupIsGood
12-24-2004, 11:22 AM
I don't like Antoine, but anything that frees up minutes for Big Dave I am for.

Anthem
12-24-2004, 11:42 AM
That is interesting, because Walker's contract is up this year. If not for that I wouldn't touch it.

I imagine Philly's offering Glen Robinson and change? They don't have much to make that work... most of their players are paid the midlevel.

Hoopshype says they're still paying Todd MacCulloch? Is that right?

Mourning
12-24-2004, 11:44 AM
I understand that, but would it really free up much IF any for David. I mean if JO and Walker would both be on the court than they would be taking the PF and C position, both atleast 38 minutes I would guess. IF Croshere and Foster stay than Harrisson would really be having limited minutes still. IF both Croshere and Pollard are traded than some minutes will come up, yes, but I doubt Atlanta would take up Croshere's huge contract even though he's playing good this season and I like the tactical flexibility he gives to our frontcourt.

Regards,

Anthem
12-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Walker's a better SF than PF.

I imagine he'd back up both forward spots, with Jax occasionally sliding to the 2.

I really don't think this will happen, though.

Hicks
12-24-2004, 11:58 AM
If we got Walker, I'm sure he'd be in the starting lineup.

Anthem
12-24-2004, 11:59 AM
How?

Foster/JO/Walker/Jax/Tinsley?
JO/Walker/Jax/Miller/Tinsley?
Foter/JO/Jax/Miller/Walker?

Hicks
12-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Anthem, I picture him starting at SF. He can play there, and remember as the article at the top said, we only are interested because Ron (a SF) is gone. We don't need a PF.

Tinsley
Miller or Jackson
Walker
O'Neal
Foster

Free Artest
12-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Foster-O'Neal-Walker--Reggie-Tinsley
Hulk---Austin-Jackson-Fred---Johnson

Mourning
12-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Our team would be BIG than though this should get us a lot of rebounds, just to note one positive thing will we be fast enough against the fastest SFs and SGs?

IF Rick feels confident he could get Antoine into the mix without hurling up shot after shot from 3pt land and we give up 2 or 3 backup players I would be for it. I think Atlanta would probably want a 1st round pick from us this year too.

Also how would the teams financial position be when we go into the summer? Walker's contract is gone, while Reggie will probably retire. I guess since our payroll is huge now it still wouldn't give us much flexibility in the summer.

Regards,

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-24-2004, 01:30 PM
I don't like Antoine, but if he can come in while Artest is gone, and play solid, I am for it. I'm pretty sure Ronnie won't be back this year, and if we get Walker, then if he plays good for us, maybe we could resign him in the summer, and move Ron.

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-24-2004, 01:39 PM
I don't like Walker either but can you imagine the 'fits' we would be giving other teams with an O'Neal/Walker combo?

Mourning
12-24-2004, 01:44 PM
and than SJax also beying tall for a SG aswell as beying clutch. As long as the price isn't too high I wouldn't mind, I guess, however the thing is what could be considered "the right price"?

Regards,

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-24-2004, 02:01 PM
My questions though are:

Why does this even make sense for us? Walker isn't much of a defender and Jackson already proved he's a better SF than SG. What does this mean to Fred Jones? I mean if Walker comes as an SF, it means Jackson is on the bench, and Jones is ? - point/2-guard? Or would this mean they play JO at center & Walker at PF which cuts into Harrisons minutes? What happens with Bender? Overall I think this screws with chemistry too much to bring in a player that needs the ball to be effective as much as Walker does.

I guess you could make the arguement that Fred Jones would be point/2-guard if Artest was in the lineup right now anyway, but did they expect Fred Jones to blossom the way he has? On paper having Walker looks good, but in real play I don't like it at all. Too risky...and what do we do with him after the season is over? I honestly think that Jackson is the most suitable replacement for Ron. We'll be fine. Walker aint for us.

Mourning
12-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Well IF (and I am going to make a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE "IF" here ;)) the Pacers think they can bring in Walker and keep him over the summer (as the Pistons did with Rasheed) than the following could make some sense (I'm not sure which players we would trade, but Pollard, Croshere, JJ and Bender would have the highest risk of beying traded, so I left them off ... virtually):

Tins at PG (undisputed, I presume). Johnson as his primary and Gill as his secondary back up.

Than at SG when Reggie retires after this season you would get Jackson as the starter and Freddie as his backup with considerable minutes.

Than at SF Walker with some extra minutes for Jackson and some remainants for James Jones if he's still around.

At PF we get JO and Walker for back up minutes together with Foster and whatever we got left after the trade.

at Center Foster and David Harrison get the most time, but JO gets more than "remainants" minutes here I would guess, depending on who we play, but still a lot less minutes here for JO than in previous seasons allowing him to play more at the position he plays best: PF.

This is all EXTREMELY speculative (but, I like speculating A LOT!!! ;)), but could lead to ... Artest beying traded away, because his position has been manned. I don't know what to think of that line up. Gets a lot of rebounding, seems pretty balanced, but Walker needs to stop hurling 3s and I didn't think his defence was THAT bad, but now I'm not sure, that might prove very important. We might want to get a back up SF/SG/PF depending on what we would trade for Walker or maybe some draft picks, but that would criss cross with the "win now" motto our franchise seemed to be in until "the thing" happenned in november.

Ok, everybody, now kill my "scenario", please :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Regards,

indygeezer
12-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Personally I think the whold comment about us wanting Walker is pure BS. I'd make a $9.00 bet that it is pure smoke on somebodies part without an ounce of fact checking to it.

TheSauceMaster
12-24-2004, 03:01 PM
They can keep Walker , I don't want him.

Ultimate Frisbee
12-24-2004, 03:13 PM
I really really dislike Walker......

But, if it will help us compete this year in Ron's absence, so be it...

We need the players, and a trade of Bender, etc. for Walker wouldn't be so bad... Does anyone defend keeping Bender anymore? I don't think I've heard anyone give good setiments about Bender recently...

Anthem
12-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Personally I think the whold comment about us wanting Walker is pure BS. I'd make a $9.00 bet that it is pure smoke on somebodies part without an ounce of fact checking to it.

Oh, almost definitely. It's a writer saying "Indiana needs a SF, don't they?"

That being said, while I don't like Walker much, it could be a good situation. Even with Ron gone, our roster is still pretty cluttered. The ranks need to be thinned out, and here's a solid way to do it. He wouldn't stick around, though.

PaceBalls
12-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Walker would be a great addition to the team IMO, If they can unload bender (ive given up hope) and pollard (ive given up on him too with his back) I'm all for it. I consider those two the worst contracts on the team.
The only thing I don't like about Walker is all the 3's, but maybe they could curb that, he is a fantastic passer and ball handler.

It really makes sense if his contracts up at the end of the year. He can fill in until we get our REAL DEAL DPOY/MVP SF back next year.

Jermaniac
12-24-2004, 06:39 PM
I wouldnt mind Walker on this team if we didnt have to give up Fred/Ron for him. Cro and Pollard would be a good deal IMO, we clear space for Hulk to play more. If Walker would cut down on his 3pt shooting, he would fit well with this team.

Jermaniac
12-24-2004, 06:42 PM
But I rather have that Hawks player that wears #3, I cant really remember his name.

Anthem
12-24-2004, 07:22 PM
But I rather have that Hawks player that wears #3, I cant really remember his name.

I noticed he had 7 assists in his last game... that's got to be a career high for him. I remember being shocked when he set his previous career high at 4.

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Why don't they just keep Walker and trade us Harrington back?

Jose Slaughter
12-24-2004, 07:48 PM
People have mentioned he would be OK if we could get him to cut back on his 3's.

The Celtic's couldn't

The Mav's couldn't

The Hawks havn't.

What makes you think Walker in a Pacer uni would be any different.

The big question is, if the Hawks are in rebuilding mode, why are they interested in moving Walker when they could drop that money off the cap this summer?

Wouldn't the cap relief mean more to them than palyers coming back in a trade?

Mourning
12-24-2004, 07:57 PM
I think the Hawks already have more than enough cap space now and had it last summer, but nobody of importance really wanted to play there. hey might be changing strategy now, so atleast they get some players for Walker instead of just cap space which won't be used or atleast would reap less results with regards to reasonable quality players coming to them without hugely overpaying them. That way they atleast get some depth which might get them a little better results which might in turn lead to, maybe one or two better players or a starplayer signing for them. Maybe that is what they are thinking in Atlant, I dunno, it's purely speculative. Or maybe he's not such a good teammate afterall?

Regards,

Hicks
12-24-2004, 07:59 PM
People have mentioned he would be OK if we could get him to cut back on his 3's.

The Celtic's couldn't

The Mav's couldn't

The Hawks havn't.

What makes you think Walker in a Pacer uni would be any different.
Well, it's possible because:

In Boston and Dallas, he had two coaches that encourage shooting when you want (O'Brien and Nelson) and Atlanta has a rookie coach IIRC. We have Rick Carlise, Mike Brown, and Kevin O'Neill. I think there's a much higher chance our trio would stop it than those guys, two of which likely ENCOURAGED it to an extent.

Lord Helmet
12-24-2004, 08:11 PM
I don't want Walker.Here is what a Mavs fan said about him at another forum I sometimes post at "As a Mavs fan I had to watch him kill a top tier team for an entire year, If I were Indiana or another good playoff bound team I wouldn't trade for him. Now if you are below .500 and have no shot, go ahead, the worse that could happen is that you lose more games, you might even win a few...."

Natston
12-24-2004, 08:16 PM
I hate Walker's game more than any person's game in the league, but to see all that $$$ come off the cap at the end of the year is very enticing...

Outlaw
12-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I don't put much credence in the article.Why would we a guy who is more concerned with his stats than winning.Being it's his contract year he wants a big payday. Therefore he will put up numbers to make himself look good on the FA market. I just don't think he would sacrifice for the team.:)

Another reason I don't put much credence in the article is Boston does not want him back. Ainge never liked his game and that was why they got rid of him in the first place.Wouldn't make sense to bring back now. :confused:

As far as Philly,they drafted a small foward(I won't even attempt to spell his name) who looks pretty good.He does the little things that someone like Walker would not do.:hmm: I know he(the rookie) looked good against the Pacers the other night.

I agree with Jose I don't see them trading Walker when his contract comes off the books this summer. Unless you can get someone in return who can fill voids on your team.Not sure Walker can bring that much.

JOneal7
12-24-2004, 10:14 PM
what the hell? We give up most of our future for one year? James jones is in the last yr of his contract I believe? true but come on now! Do we want walker? that dude jacks up 3 after 3 after 3 after 3 after...You get the idea. Plus you give up bender who I guess has been written off totally? so we wasted all that waiting and time for antoine walker? and croshere? I don't like this. At all...Mainly cause we are giving up on james jones. Just think about a backcourt of him and freddie! Man that's our future! not an aging antoine friggin walker! are you guys nuts!?

Jermaniac
12-24-2004, 10:24 PM
James Jones

Mourning
12-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Sorry, JOneal7 I like James Jones a lot too, but he's not our future savior at SG our SF. Just my opinion.

Regards,

Roaming Gnome
12-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Who is to say that D. Walsh is not just driving up the price for Walker's services? Just like Spreewell back in the day.

DisplacedKnick
12-25-2004, 07:56 AM
If I'm the Pacers I Do NOT want Walker. I don't see anything in his game that gives you something you don't already have and I could see a huge ego clash.

Now if Bird & Walsh can move him before the trade deadline for someone else ...

The cap space would be nice but at some point you have to quit making moves for next year.

sixthman
12-25-2004, 10:16 AM
I'd hardly call Pollard's contract the worst on the team, since it is expiring.

Atlanta would want our first round pick, which I would give them, if something could be worked out otherwise.