PDA

View Full Version : Who else would have?

Hicks
12-23-2004, 01:17 PM
I've seen it suggested a lot that a whole number of NBA players would have reacted as Ron Artest did if they were the ones laying on the scorer's table instead of him, and they were the ones getting hit with the cup instead of him.

So, let's hear it.

A) Who else would lay on the table?

B) Who else would have charged into the stands after getting hit?

Anthem
12-23-2004, 01:32 PM
A> Not many people, probably. That's Ron being Ron.
B> Then? Most of the NBA. Now? Nobody, including Ron Artest.

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-23-2004, 01:32 PM
I recall Shaq saying that. I bet Latrell would too.

waterjater
12-23-2004, 01:34 PM
A) Dennis Rodman

B) 90 -100% of the NBA would've made a move towards the stands. Probably 50% or more would've headed after the guy.

Hicks
12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
A> Not many people, probably. That's Ron being Ron.
B> Then? Most of the NBA. Now? Nobody, including Ron Artest.
I'm trying to see some names. People keep wanting to say "oh anybody" or "almost anyone" but they never say who.

waterjater
12-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Too many to list.....

Wallace's
Corliss
Sprewell
Garnett
Cassell
IVerson
Artest :)
Wells
Francis
and on and on

Hicks
12-23-2004, 01:43 PM
See, the night of this mess, I was thinking the same thing, but when I took time to stand back and think about it more, I think most players would be pissed, and probably sit up and start jawing big time with whoever threw it, but I don't think they go charging up there. Hard to say.

Unclebuck
12-23-2004, 01:45 PM
I don't have the slightest idea, this whole incident is still the most improbable thing that I have seen in my entire life.

able
12-23-2004, 01:47 PM
there are to many in the present and past that would do both but only the second is of importance, the first, certainly AI of the present players, he did it before so why not again.

as for the second:

AI, Shaq, Kobe, Reggie, Jax, Brad Miller, Sheed, Allen, Bibby, Billups, Carmelo, Boozer, Bowen, Carter, Crawford, Curry, AD, DD, Divac, Fisher, Francis, Garnett, Ginobili, Horry, Harrington, Jefferson, Kid, Marbury, TMac, Zo, Nash, Nowitzki, JO, Ostertag, Olowakandi, Parker Payton, Pierce, Potapenko, Zach, J-Rich, Q-Rich, Malik, Spre, Amare, NvH, NvE, Ben,

Hicks
12-23-2004, 02:04 PM
AI, Shaq, Kobe, Reggie, Jax, Brad Miller, Sheed, Allen, Bibby, Billups, Carmelo, Boozer, Bowen, Carter, Crawford, Curry, AD, DD, Divac, Fisher, Francis, Garnett, Ginobili, Horry, Harrington, Jefferson, Kid, Marbury, TMac, Zo, Nash, Nowitzki, JO, Ostertag, Olowakandi, Parker Payton, Pierce, Potapenko, Zach, J-Rich, Q-Rich, Malik, Spre, Amare, NvH, NvE, Ben,
You mean to tell me you can picture each and every one of these players running over the scorers table, knocking people out of his way if necessary, to go after a fan in the 2nd/3rd row?? That's different than a fan leaning over a railing in a tunnel or something similar that's right there on the court. I'm talking doing what Ron did; hopping over tables and people to go UP into the stands after someone.

Lord Helmet
12-23-2004, 02:17 PM
You mean to tell me you can picture each and every one of these players running over the scorers table, knocking people out of his way if necessary, to go after a fan in the 2nd/3rd row?? That's different than a fan leaning over a railing in a tunnel or something similar that's right there on the court. I'm talking doing what Ron did; hopping over tables and people to go UP into the stands after someone. Yeah it would be funny to see Steve Nash going into the stands.:laugh:

able
12-23-2004, 02:39 PM
each and every individual I mentioned is well capable and would most likely up and till the event have gone up in the stands, though Hicks, a little correction, Ron was on the table, so he did not have to go over it, he simply got over it and moved into the 3d or 4th rown, unlike Maxweel who went to the 12th.

Yes, can you honestly tell me they wouldn't?

More funny then Nash would be AI, seeing his size, but wanna bet he would ?

Hicks
12-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Yes, can you honestly tell me they wouldn't?

Uh, yes. :laugh:

Reggie, Brad Miller, Sheed, Allen, Bibby, Billups, Boozer, Bowen, Carter, Crawford, Curry, Divac, Fisher, Garnett, Ginobili, Horry, Jefferson, Kidd, Nash, Nowitzki, JO, Ostertag, Olowakandi, Parker, Pierce, Potapenko, J-Rich, Q-Rich, Malik, KvH

I'm pretty confident none of them would. Maybe, MAYBE Reggie in the late 80s/ early 90s.

Deadshot
12-23-2004, 02:48 PM
If Reggie would ever go into the stands to fight a fan, it might be an even match - remember the Reggie/Kobe catfight :laugh:

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-23-2004, 02:52 PM
I could see alot of high school guys doing that, just because many of them are so immature they can't handle it.

Diamond Dave
12-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Yes, no one can control the beserker rage of Manu Ginobli. Hahaha

ChicagoJ
12-23-2004, 03:39 PM
This is proposterous.

But since you guys are going down this road...

Sprewell wouldn't, unless Jim Dolan was in the stands - and even then the Knicks fans would probably hold Dolan still while Spreewell pummeled him. I don't think that's even considered a crime in NYC. :devil:

Rasheed only would do so if it was an off-duty NBA official.

Iverson? No way? He's endured far worse treatment without retaliating.

Reggie, even in the early nineties? He may have been a prima-donna but he seemed to learn his lesson while at UCLA that the best way to respond is to knock down some shots and force them to shut up.

Alabama-Redneck
12-23-2004, 03:40 PM

Reggie, Brad Miller, Sheed, Allen, Bibby, Billups, Boozer, Bowen, Carter, Crawford, Curry, Divac, Fisher, Garnett, Ginobili, Horry, Jefferson, Kidd, Nash, Nowitzki, JO, Ostertag, Olowakandi, Parker, Pierce, Potapenko, J-Rich, Q-Rich, Malik, KvH

I'm pretty confident none of them would. Maybe, MAYBE Reggie in the late 80s/ early 90s.
And what makes you so confident these people would not???

Anthem
12-23-2004, 03:48 PM
They did an around-the-nba poll early on. Carter and Shaq were the two I remember saying that most NBA players would do the same thing. Barkley said something similar. Grant Hill was the only one not on the Pistons that outright said he'd never do anything like that.

ChicagoJ
12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
And that poll may have been one of the reasons Stern had to be so harsh.

shags
12-23-2004, 04:10 PM
I've seen it suggested a lot that a whole number of NBA players would have reacted as Ron Artest did if they were the ones laying on the scorer's table instead of him, and they were the ones getting hit with the cup instead of him.

So, let's hear it.

A) Who else would lay on the table?

B) Who else would have charged into the stands after getting hit?

A) No current NBA player comes to mind. Not one. Rodman is the only former player that pops into my head. Which makes . . .

B) irrelevant. Apparently players getting hit by cups, batteries, coins, etc. happens more than I think it does.

Anthem
12-23-2004, 04:38 PM
And that poll may have been one of the reasons Stern had to be so harsh.

I could definitely go along with that. But that's also what gives a lot of Pacerfans a bad taste in their mouth.

Ron's punishment is part punishment, part public flogging. Yes, he deserved a significant suspension. But "gone for the season" isn't just about punishment, it's about "sending a message" to other players and to the fans. The fact that it was Ron Artest just made it easier.

Hicks
12-23-2004, 04:45 PM
And what makes you so confident these people would not???
Well, what makes anyone so confident they WOULD?

For me it's simply watching these people on camera a lot, getting somewhat of a feel for their personalities.

ChicagoJ
12-23-2004, 05:31 PM
I could definitely go along with that. But that's also what gives a lot of Pacerfans a bad taste in their mouth.

Ron's punishment is part punishment, part public flogging. Yes, he deserved a significant suspension. But "gone for the season" isn't just about punishment, it's about "sending a message" to other players and to the fans. The fact that it was Ron Artest just made it easier.
I agree 100%.

Alabama-Redneck
12-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Well, what makes anyone so confident they WOULD?

For me it's simply watching these people on camera a lot, getting somewhat of a feel for their personalities.
I am not confident they would but you ask for a list and when supplied with one, you immediately said they wouldn't.

I feel most of the younger player would and most of the older players would not.

:whoknows:

PaceBalls
12-23-2004, 06:22 PM
A. this is a weird one, like Ron or any of us would have any reason to seek out a table to lie down on. It was there, Ron was tryin to take himself out of the confrontation, he laid back on the table.

B. Ya, I'd kick yer *** if you threw a beer on me :P

Hicks
12-23-2004, 06:27 PM
I am not confident they would but you ask for a list and when supplied with one, you immediately said they wouldn't.

I feel most of the younger player would and most of the older players would not.

:whoknows:
Not to be a smartass, but would it have been better if I waited a week to say they wouldn't? I justed wanted to see who people had in mind. I saw it, didn't agree, and said so; I don't know what the timing has to do with that. :whoknows:

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-23-2004, 06:39 PM

You don't think Sheed would have? Crawford? Olowakandi (he aint got nothin to play for anyway)?, I think Horry would too.

My list: Finley, MJ (yes Michael Jordan - I think he would have a serious screaming match in their face but not hit them though), Carmello Anthony, Gary Payton, Smits....LMAO J/K - but I'd pay to see that, Zo, Malone....hell I think had it been anyone else besides Artest it wouldn't have been as big of a story! As a matter of fact, I bet if Artest and O'Neal traded roles in the whole fiasco, Artest STILL would have got the biggest penalty.

Hicks
12-23-2004, 06:42 PM
You don't think Sheed would have? Crawford? Olowakandi (he aint got nothin to play for anyway)?, I think Horry would too.
Not anymore I don't. He's changed. Ask me two years ago, and I say without question. If Crawford has a history of incidents, I'm not aware of it. Same with Kandi (unless you count that bar in Indy :D ) Horry? Meh; I don't know, but nothing says "yes" to me about him.

Jordan? Yeah sure, it's not like he'd get more than 5 games penalty anyway from Stern. :D

able
12-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Jordan? Yeah sure, it's not like he'd get more than 5 games penalty anyway from Stern. :D

Jordan would only get 5 if Stern's wife was in the section he stormed in, otherwise Stern would state it was "off-court" and he had no jurisdiction......