PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day is the 1 chance for Pacers fans to be heard

Reggie4Three
12-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I wish I were going to this game, because I would try to help organize something. Since I can't be there, I'll leave it up to those who will. If the fans want to convey a message to the NBA (ie David Stern) about the handling of the brawl, that game will be the one time that we will have a platform that everyone will see. The "Suspend Stern" tshirts are fine, but odds are that Stern has already ordered the tv crew not to put anything critical of him or the NBA on tv. If the crowd made some other type of statement with their voice, the home audience would get the message and the announcers might even be forced to address it. I have two suggestions . ..

1. As I suggested before, some type of chant when Pistons are shooting free throws. The chant should not be vulgar, but simple and voice displeasure about the way this has been handled.

2. 3 minutes of complete silence at some point in the game, one minute for each of our suspended players. Actually 1 minute would be sufficient but getting everyone on the same page for this would be difficult.

If there are better ideas, I'd like to see them brought to fruition. It is the one chance for the Pacer fans, the most innocent victims in this whole mess, to voice their displeasure. I hope it's not wasted.

beast23
12-22-2004, 05:35 PM
I personally like Peck's "Stuck Fern" t-shirt idea better. That would even make a good chant.

Since we can't touch the Pistons players and we can't throw beer on them, maybe everyone should come to the game with a laser pointer. Focus a little red dot on the player of your choice. Pet Smart $6.99.

Just kidding. Or am I?

Deadshot
12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
LOL - while a funny idea, they would certainly not allow lasers. I liked the idea that someone else had to have the whole arena turn their backs when the Pistons are being introduced. Getting everyone to do or even find out about this is slim to none, so Pacers fans would have to act fast.

Reggie4Three
12-22-2004, 06:07 PM
LOL - while a funny idea, they would certainly not allow lasers. I liked the idea that someone else had to have the whole arena turn their backs when the Pistons are being introduced. Getting everyone to do or even find out about this is slim to none, so Pacers fans would have to act fast.

It would take about 10,000 pieces of paper with the plan written on it and maybe 6 people to commit 2 hours of time to hand them out to those walking in. I doubt the starting lineups get on tv though.

SoupIsGood
12-22-2004, 06:17 PM
A chant would be best. Someone going to the game, be sure to start one. :)

Ultimate Frisbee
12-22-2004, 06:25 PM
I bet security removes anyone who cheers anything against Detroit....

Otherwise I think there could be another riot (not that I'm opposed to it)

Good time to sue the NBA if you want to...

PacerFan31
12-22-2004, 06:25 PM
I think a chant of Ronnie and if JO isn't back then JO or something like that maybe free Ronnie or Jack something like that.

canyoufeelit
12-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Dare to be stupid. We figured the Artest suspension could be reduced and held out hope for competing for a championship, and agreed to handle the Christmas Day game with class.

Now that there's no hope, why shouldn't fans be total jackasses? If it were Jermaine O'Neal bobblehead night, they would be chucked. Who cares about a chant or turning backs or whatever - throw that beer and soda courtside and let the popcorn fly from the upper decks, there's nothing to play for this season.

Deadshot
12-22-2004, 06:28 PM
It would take about 10,000 pieces of paper with the plan written on it and maybe 6 people to commit 2 hours of time to hand them out to those walking in. I doubt the starting lineups get on tv though.

In that case, those 10,000 sheets of paper could be used to inform fans of a chant.

indygeezer
12-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Like it or not, thru this all the mediots have been certain to point out that it was the DETROIT fans involved in the fracus and not Pacer fans. Doing anything stupid, like tossing crap or laser lights, would indict all Pacer fans and show us to be just as big of idiots as those jerks in Detroit (excuse me, Auburn Hills). I would add personal insults directed at Der Commish to that list of idiotic things to do.
Now I do like the idea of 3 minutes of silence during the game or silence/back turning during introductions as a PEACEFUL protest against the way the Pacer fans have been treated. But it would require all the media outlets cooperating to get the word out to the fans going to the game in order to make this work The Pacer organization cannot promote any such action because it would be "attacking" the league which they are a part of.
Now Mark Cuban might be willing to promote somehing like that in Dallas, but he does a lot of things without thinking. REMEMBER THIS tho, Mark Cuban was VERY complimentary toward the PAcer fans in his Blog right after the incident. HE talked about how loud and proud we were of our guys that were competing. We have a little sympathy around the league...do you really want to waste that and prove to everybody that we are no better than a bunch of drunken Piston fans???

Anthem
12-22-2004, 06:47 PM
I really like the idea of the entire stadium turning their back on the Pistons. I REALLY REALLY like that idea. It wouldn't even be that hard to coordinate... a couple people need to call in to the pregame shows, then once the game starts you say "When they introduce the Pistons (especially B.Wallace), don't boo. Turn your backs. Pass it on."

Somebody walk down to the floor before pregame and let the ESPN crew know... that would be a statement never made at a NBA game. Lots of people boo, lots of people chant. Lots of people make signs / t-shirts. I don't recall an entire stadium ever turning their backs on a team.

That could shake em up.

DisplacedKnick
12-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, I won't be at the game but here's mine.

First, whenever Wallace is on the line, chant AR-TEST. Loudly.

Heck, do it whenever anyone's on the line ... Of course booing Big Ben at every opportunity wouldn't hurt.

A little "left ... right" chant every time Ben moves when the ball isn't in play ...

If you can, during TO's and dead balls a "WE WANT RON" chant wouldn't hurt - you gotta at LEAST have it leading to the opening tip. If you can get a whole section going early in the game you can get the entire arena into.

The back-turning is a must.

able
12-22-2004, 06:56 PM
It would "draw" ESPN in the open as well, if they do not show it they will be the laughing stock, even in delay, because every reporter will talk about it, radio or paper.

It is the best bet and simply "whispered" throught CFH before the game, some notes in the hallways, near doors toilets and so on.

beast23
12-22-2004, 06:59 PM
I agree. Turning the back is a fantastic idea.

And I wouldn't just do it during introductions. I would do it with every free throw that a Piston takes. And since teams are often shown in their huddle during timeouts, if I were sitting anywhere near the Piston bench, I would turn my back during their timeouts.

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-22-2004, 07:01 PM
How bout a cup on a string? Throw it at Wallace, and JUST before it hits him, retract it. Ok J/K...If we really want to show something, how bout an Artest jersey night? Everybody wears an Artest jersey (well, everyone that has one or buys one at least).

- How bout Tshirts that read "We have cups and we're not afraid to throw them!"...oh haha wrong team.....

- How bout some signs that say "I got drunk BEFORE the game"

- Ben Wallace cabbge patch kid night?

- How bout everybody park around the Pistons' team bus? They can't tow everybody!

- I'd like to see a Pacers/Pistons gift exchange. All the Pistons each give a blue cup from a different country.

DisplacedKnick
12-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Too bad you can't outfit a whole section of fans in hats shaped like a plastic cup.

waxman
12-22-2004, 07:27 PM
how bout a simple "Free the Pacers" chant.... as " shorten the suspensions" doesn't flow very well..... and the turning the backs to crowd is a good Idea.

Unclebuck
12-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Really the only thing I want to see is a pacers win. Chants, t-shirts, signs, mean nothing to me.

Ultimate Frisbee
12-22-2004, 11:59 PM
My dad actually thought of a good idea... We could wear Ben Wallace hair and shave it off during the game... too bad that would require sharp items...

Mr. Pink
12-23-2004, 12:54 AM
Here's my idea: Everyone dresses in as much as blue and gold as possible. Get a college-type atmosphere going.

Forget trying to make a message with shirts, chants, and whatever else people are thinking.

The best possible message we can deliver is that we LOVE the Pacers NO MATTER WHAT! To do this, everyone has to cheer thier heads off like crazy!

I guess signs with like "Pacer Fan For Life!" (i know that was a once username) but that sends a very strong point.

If I was able to attend I would be showing my support through ways that exemplified my love for the Pacers...not about my hate towards Stern and the Pistons.

JOneal7
12-23-2004, 01:14 AM
"FREE AR-TEST" or "FREE OUR PACERS" sounds like good chants...And I want to hear them damn it! I want everyone to get loud all the way from the front row to the balcony! (Stealing a PB line)...I mean it man! I want booing constantly when the pistons have the ball. CHANTS....like "BEN YOU SUCK...BEN YOU SUCK" when he shoots Free throws...If this isn't more hyped than shaqs return to orlando then I was right...Indiana has great fans..but they just can't support a team like I seen teams be supported. PROVE ME WRONG GUYS...You know I'll be leading the charge!

Kstat
12-23-2004, 01:16 AM
If this isn't more hyped than shaqs return to orlando then I was right...Indiana has great fans..but they just can't support a team like I seen teams be supported. PROVE ME WRONG GUYS...You know I'll be leading the charge!

My my, don't we have some nerve.......

Aren't one of your 15 other "favorite teams" still playing?

I realize you get a significant amount of leeway here, since you're like 14 years old, but calling out Pacer fans when you're like 1/4th of a pacer fan yourself is a bit obnoxious.

Dr Huxtable
12-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Wow, I love the idea of turning your back during the introductions of the Pistons players. But I doubt that we could even get a half of the crowd to do it.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2004, 01:23 AM
Kstat...let it go... count to 10.

:)

Kstat
12-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Kstat...let it go... count to 10.

:evillaugh:

PacersandIU
12-23-2004, 03:02 AM
turning the back to the crowd is awesome, but the idea about handing out papers isn't possible because the NBA banned hand-outs. I know I'll be turning my back to the Pistons...while booing. I have a shirt that says "FREE RON" on it so I'll be wearing that and I'll be chanting...BE CREATIVe!

JOneal7
12-23-2004, 03:29 AM
My my, don't we have some nerve.......

Aren't one of your 15 other "favorite teams" still playing?

I realize you get a significant amount of leeway here, since you're like 14 years old, but calling out Pacer fans when you're like 1/4th of a pacer fan yourself is a bit obnoxious.
Give me a break Kstat...I have TWO teams in the NBA. Orlando...which is where I was born and grew up. And The Pacers...which is where I currently Live. How do they relate? My first basketball game I ever saw was pacers vs magic in market square arena. Just because you been with the pistons since when they were burning cars and rioting in the streets doesn't mean I'm 1/4th of a pacer fan. Amazing how you can question my loyalty to a team. UHG...you are just misinformed. I'm not even going to go there.

Anthem
12-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Who was the other team you were rooting for last week? It wasn't Orlando or Indy...

JOneal7
12-23-2004, 06:04 AM
uh what? only thing You might be thinking of is when I said I was going to the raptors game in my "Skip 2 My Lou" Jersey. It's and And1 Jersey. He's my favorite street baller and I wore his jersey to the game. I don't see how that's rooting for another team? Amazing people can question me being a fan...especially "1/4th"

I'm The Defending MOST FANATIC POSTER DAMNIT! lol...

indygeezer
12-23-2004, 08:58 AM
I posted the back turning idea on the IS site to get the word spread abit...but I also added these comments and they fit here too...

I can tell you from personal experience, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a chant started at CFH. 10-20-even 50 fans scattered throughout the arena just cannot be heard and you get absolutely no response from those around you. All you'll get are "wha kinda nut are you???" stares. We've tried before. The only way you stand a chance is if a block of you are sitting together and are coordinated enough to do it like a cheerblock, even then I doubt it will work.
Signs may very well be prohibited from this game. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they clamp down in an effort to make absolutely cetain that Indy puts on their very best face to the world. Even chants may be discouraged and I promise you, anything out of line will be a certain reason for getting tossed from the arena.

Reggie4Three
12-23-2004, 09:53 AM
The best possible message we can deliver is that we LOVE the Pacers NO MATTER WHAT! To do this, everyone has to cheer thier heads off like crazy!

I think that's a message that needs to be sent EVERY game. This game is so different that it presents a different opportunity to be heard regarding our thoughts on a situation in which the Pacers, the team we love, have been crippled in order to make an example. If any of you are like me, you're a little ticked off about the way this has come down. This is the opportunity for the Pacer fans to be heard. If some choose not to voice their displeasure, that is their choice.

Anthem
12-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I agree that anything out of line will get you tossed. That's why turning your backs on the Pistons would be a great effect... nobody can complain about it. There's no violence. But it gets the point across every bit as effectively as D.Wallace sucker-punching Fred Jones.

We don't like the Pistons.

Hicks
12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Last May I started several of the "DE-FENSE" chants vs Miami, of which I was proud of because once people joined, it got EVERYONE doing it and it seemed to fire the team up a bit. But that's a very common chant. I don't think we'd get any "special" chants going.

JOneal7
12-24-2004, 04:58 AM
All I ask if that everyone chants "Free Ar-test"! When a piston is on the line...it would also help if the guy who does the sounds could add the little thud or w/e it is...kinda like DE-FENSE...But maybe 3 beats.

ReGgieMiLLeR31
12-24-2004, 05:19 AM
JO7, that's perfect....a radio station in Indy or something should have promoted the FREE AR-TEST CHANT!!!! OMG if we all got that together as a stadium...I wish you could call the radio station all day tomorrow and Sat or get it on the media or something...(local of course)

indygeezer
12-24-2004, 08:17 AM
All I ask if that everyone chants "Free Ar-test"! When a piston is on the line...it would also help if the guy who does the sounds could add the little thud or w/e it is...kinda like DE-FENSE...But maybe 3 beats.

I doubt the sound man would be premitted. That would make it appear that the organization was part of, or promoting, the protest, something that would NEVER be allowed.

jfisher
12-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Really the only thing I want to see is a pacers win. Chants, t-shirts, signs, mean nothing to me.

I'm glad everyone's ignored this sentiment. The sad truth is, IT DOES MATTER. Just like in politics- your candidate could be giving the speech of his life, but if the audience doesn't react, it gets no network coverage which is CRUCIAL. The whole NBA nation has to see how much this has affected the team and the city. I can't wait to see what you guys and those lucky enough to attend the game come up with. I'll be here in dreary Boston hiding from the family to watch......

Anthem
12-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Just another note: Please have somebody walk around and tell people to turn their backs. If you could get it on a radio show, all the better.

I think that's brilliant.

Anthem
12-24-2004, 12:34 PM
So who's going to the game tomorrow?

Unclebuck
12-24-2004, 01:01 PM
I'll be there.

Snickers
12-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Just another note: Please have somebody walk around and tell people to turn their backs. If you could get it on a radio show, all the better.

I think that's brilliant.

Seriously, if this gets done, it will have more of an impact than all the chants, boos, tshirts and whatnot combined.

What you need to do is get a few people to run around in the entrance and the halls before the game, telling everyone they can to face away during the Pistons introductions, and to pass it on. You should be able to pick up some more people to help you go around telling others, and a lot of those told will pass it on as well.

Surely a lot of you reading this will be at the game, and hopefully at least a couple of you will be able to meet up before the game and make this work.

Believe me, if you pull it off, it will be recognised.

Unclebuck
12-24-2004, 05:08 PM
They usuaully don't show the pregame intro on TV. But I suppose for this game they might

JOneal7
12-24-2004, 05:21 PM
People will just think like "No ones going to do that, and then I'll look stupid" and no one will do it. I'd try spreading the word but would look pretty dumb if I was the only one in my section doing it. No Sign :(..I'm dissapointed in myself...I just didn't get out to get the stuff for it. Oh well, better yell louder now!

Deadshot
12-24-2004, 06:23 PM
People will just think like "No ones going to do that, and then I'll look stupid" and no one will do it. I'd try spreading the word but would look pretty dumb if I was the only one in my section doing it. No Sign :(..I'm dissapointed in myself...I just didn't get out to get the stuff for it. Oh well, better yell louder now!

It only takes a small spark to start a forest fire...

rabid
12-24-2004, 07:10 PM
I'll be there. Not sure what to expect, honestly, except hopefully a great basketball game.

Lord Helmet
12-24-2004, 11:52 PM
I wish I could go.But I think the turning your back thing would be great.Imagine if ESPN shows the Starting Lineups and when they show the Pacers fans they see everyone in Conseco turn their back.That would be a huge statement from the Pacers fans IMO.But there aren't enough of the diehards in the lower lever to do it.Do you think the businessmen will do it?And now for tonights 11:00pm SportsCenter they already said something about "Will Saturdays rematch be peaceful?".I am so exicted for this game I don't think I will be able to sleep.

JOneal7
12-25-2004, 12:05 AM
yeah yeah! I'm so amped! Screw christmas or w/e...I'm ready for this ball game! A Win would be the only present I need!

Lord Helmet
12-25-2004, 12:16 AM
I seriously can't sleep.I'm not trying now but in a few hours I will and I bet I will just lay there in bed for 2 hours.

JOneal7
12-25-2004, 02:03 AM
same here! I was tired earlier but not now...I want to win so bad! UHG the pistons talking crap on realGM is eating me. 2-0 verse them this year would be sweet. You know their lame comeback "Regular season doesn't mean anything"
pshhhh...w/e

Lord Helmet
12-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Yeah it actually does mean something it means a tiebreaker plus maybe homecourt.Oh yes I would love a win tommorow.1:18 AM now pretty soon my friends pretty soon........