PDA

View Full Version : Pacers/Clippers Postgame Thread 2/28/13

Trophy
02-28-2013, 10:26 PM
We don't go down easily, but in the end tonight, the Clippers got the W.

We definitely missed Roy's interior presence tonight and the sloppy TOs didn't help.

Gotta get it done tomorrow night in Toronto!

Trader Joe
02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Roy is worth eleventy billion dollars.

boombaby1987
02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Lance is the ultimate energy guy. I think he will be a big spark to our bench.

presto123
02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
The Pacers are a turnover machine. If they don't get that cleaned up I see an early exit from the playoffs. They are not so good they can overcome that all the time.

Coopdog23
02-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Lance is the ultimate energy guy. I think he will be a big spark to our bench.

Granger brought energy off the bench as well

CompACE
Clippers are a good team, and the Pacers were a man down. We hung in there. I can't be too upset with a loss here. On to the next one!

Unclebuck
I think you could make a strong case that the Clippers are the most talented team in the NBA, they have so many good players. Seemed for most of the night the Clips had 6 defenders on the floor

Nuntius
I hope that this game proves Roy's value to everyone.

Anyway, I'm proud of the fact that our guys fought till the end. Win tomorrow in Toronto and it's going to be ok :)

boombaby1987
Granger brought energy off the bench as well

ehhhh. I thought he looked sluggish. He hit some shots, but Lance was by far the better player tonight.

rel
Any reason Mahinmi never came back in? Tyler wasn't giving us any offense, might as well get Ian's length and interior D put to use at the end...

rock747
02-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Why didn't vogel put George on Paul at the end? Anyone still think Ian should start over Hibbert still?

Coopdog23
02-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Any reason Mahinmi never came back in? Tyler wasn't giving us any offense, might as well get Ian's length and interior D put to use at the end...

I guess because that lineup brought us back to within 4

Unclebuck
02-28-2013, 10:33 PM
The Pacers are a turnover machine. If they don't get that cleaned up I see an early exit from the playoffs. They are not so good they can overcome that all the time.

Certainly. But the clippers had a lot to do with that tonight

presto123
I think you could make a strong case that the Clippers are the most talented team in the NBA, they have so many good players. Seemed for most of the night the Clips had 6 defenders on the floor

I don't think they are getting the respect they deserve from the press at times. I think they have as good a shot as anybody to win the Title.

boombaby1987
Also, Paul is good at 3's, but he still takes too many of them.

vnzla81

Yes because he sucked, Tyler was playing good D unlike Ian.

vnzla81
02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
I don't think they are getting the respect they deserve from the press at times. I think they have as good a shot as anybody to win the Title.

Their coach makes them non contenders.

Trader Joe
As much fun as the last 4 minutes were, you make a few less mistakes on both ends of the court, and you might steal one that you didn't really deserve. We just made a lot of mental mistakes on a night we could not afford them. Need to move on quick. Cannot afford a third loss to Toronto.

Coopdog23
Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides game 2 vs Miami, it seems like we can't hit shots late in big games consistently. I know it was hard containing Paul and Crawford defensively, but offensively in the two OT losses and this game, we couldn't hit shots in the final 1:30. I think Granger should have been in the game for Lance in that final minute

hoosierguy
02-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Chris Paul is just too dang good. He singlehandedly fought off the Pacers rally with his ability to get in the lane and hit tough shots.

Winning these next four is a must.

boombaby1987
02-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Paul is the worst clutch player in the NBA strictly by stats.

Trader Joe
02-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Agreed. VDN could have put the hammer down at about the 9 minute mark with CP3 and Griffin but instead tried to coast it in. Almost cost him. I thought it might when CP3 missed his first shot off the bench, thought he might too far into shut down mode, but alas he was not.

I will give Frank credit for keeping the team engaged in the last 4 minutes, even if it took them 44 minutes to get there.

Goyle
02-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Bummer.

Thought we were gonna come back and get it but every play turned into an iso in crunch time. I also thought PG should've guarded Paul in crunch time, his on ball defense is wasted having to guard Barnes.

Trader Joe
02-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Paul is the worst clutch player in the NBA strictly by stats.

He's also 22. Lebron just last year sort of shook his, not great in the clutch moniker, and he had been in the league for 9 years. Figuring out how to get yourself easy buckets late in game is a process. Paul has an idea (believes he can knock down his 3), but sometimes self destructs his own plan (over dribbles back into the D)

Heisenberg
02-28-2013, 10:38 PM
if Danny took some of the shots PG did tonight he'd be getting killed

Unclebuck
02-28-2013, 10:38 PM

if you take away the 8 losses in 11 games when Chris Paul was out, they would have an even better record. Paul is as important to the Clips as any player in the league

shags
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
All I could keep thinking watching that game was it's too bad the Clippers couldn't pull off the Bledsoe/Butler for Garnett trade.

If they did that, I think they'd be the favorites to win it all. I don't think they can beat OKC, the Spurs, AND the Heat/Pacers in succession. Their bigs, besides Griffin, are too weak and will get exposed the further they go in the playoffs.

Nuntius
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM

Ian struggled defensively tonight.

shags
02-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Oh, and that stretch where Paul George singlehandedly brought the Pacers back was incredible. Just a fantastic stretch by George, offensively and defensively. He forced them to take Crawford out of the game.

aamcguy
02-28-2013, 10:40 PM
I think we really really missed Roy in the 1st quarter. Doesn't matter if he's hitting shots or not, the back and forth between him and West in the 1st quarter usually sets the tone for us and gets us off to a good start. There were several times in the first quarter where Ian didn't see a wide open cutter or shooter or one of th eother 4 didn't see Ian wide open. Aside from that and that stretch in the early fourth, we played very well.

Entertaining game.

vnzla81
02-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Anybody wants to compare the Clippers bench salary and production with the Pacers bench? that is how you build a bench, minus Odom of course.

Unclebuck
02-28-2013, 10:42 PM

A bad coach would not be able to get their team to play as good of defense as the Clips

vnzla81
02-28-2013, 10:43 PM

Some of those shots brought the Pacers back though.

piggyKing
02-28-2013, 10:43 PM
tough to swallow. those TOs were bad in the first half. I thought Tyler looked scatter brained late in the game and CP was just too good. Oh well. On to the next. :)

Gold
02-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Anybody wants to compare the Clippers bench salary and production with the Pacers bench? that is how you build a bench, minus Odom of course.

It's the kind of bench Larry Bird wanted a little bit.......... Crawford wouldn't sign with us though.

clownskull
02-28-2013, 10:45 PM
hadn't seen the clips this year. they are really good and can attack from many spots.
cp3 is unstoppable. despite what i saw in the game thread- he hasn't lost a step at all.
20 turnovers is not going to win many games.
things that bug me:
this happens from time to time- hill and paul george have bad habits of chucking WAY too many 3's. when more than half of you shots are from downtown- that is not a good thing.
paul george didn't even shoot a free throw until the 4th quarter- too much posey ball.

nice comeback attempt without roy but down 17 pts against a talented clips in the 4th was simply too much.

boombaby1987
02-28-2013, 10:45 PM
The good news is we get a pretty good chance to reset the bench next year.
Hill/?
Granger/Stephenson
George/?(Green:mad:)
West(hopefully)/?
Hibbert/Ian

BlueNGold
02-28-2013, 10:47 PM

He is definitely worth his contract. Like I said on the first page of the game thread, Hibbert would earn his pay check tonight and it would become obvious how valuable he is. We could do without Hill. Granger. West to some extent. But not Paul and Roy.

rock747
02-28-2013, 10:47 PM

Because we know what Granger is, we want Paul George to develop into the guy we want taking late game shots.... so I think that's why people are easier to accept it.

vnzla81
02-28-2013, 10:48 PM
A bad coach would not be able to get their team to play as good of defense as the Clips

I was talking about play calling and last minute decisions, Vinny sucks at it, call me crazy but I think they play good D because of CP3 and the veterans they have on the team not because of the coach, Vinny is an average coach and he is holding that team back in my opinion.

Randolph_HorseLips
02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
George Hill's 0/3 FG and 0/2 FTs in the final minute was real frustrating.

granger4mvp
02-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Random ? Bulls and pacers Sunday only on espn

Sollozzo
02-28-2013, 10:51 PM
You can't put a price tag on Roy's presence in the paint. He just completely changes our defense.

At least Danny looked pretty solid tonight. He seemed to be moving well and his shot was falling. That's the most positive thing I can take away from the game.

I like PG and Lance as much as anyone, but they have to cut down on the turnovers. The good news is that most of them seem to be from boneheaded plays where they try to get "too cute". That can be stopped with discipline. But they can't be combining for eight turnovers if we want to go deep in the playoffs.

vnzla81
02-28-2013, 10:51 PM
It's the kind of bench Larry Bird wanted a little bit.......... Crawford wouldn't sign with us though.

Portland was trading Crawford last year for a pick, that pick was used to get Plumlee by the way.

boombaby1987
02-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Random ? Bulls and pacers Sunday only on espn
That's not a question. :-p

righteouscool
02-28-2013, 10:53 PM
CP3 made some clutch lay ups in the last minute. I have to believe that he wouldn't do that with Hibbert in the game.

How about that 2 minute stretch by Paul George? He smothered Crawford to the point that they had to take him out of the game and completely willed us back into the game. He reminds me a bit of CP3 in how he plays actually. He doesn't force much until he has to. He helps his team mates get involved and is unaggressive to fault. If he can learn to take over a game like that in the last few minutes he WILL BE a superstar level player.

boombaby1987
02-28-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm glad we get a chance to rebound tommorow.

mrknowname
02-28-2013, 10:57 PM
way too many turnovers. either clippers have the quickest hands or refs don't call reach ins.

granger was a ghost in the second half for the most part. too many times he was just standing around.

who else wanted to see plumlee tonight?

Sparhawk
02-28-2013, 11:03 PM
You can't put a price tag on Roy's presence in the paint. He just completely changes our defense.

At least Danny looked pretty solid tonight. He seemed to be moving well and his shot was falling. That's the most positive thing I can take away from the game.

I like PG and Lance as much as anyone, but they have to cut down on the turnovers. The good news is that most of them seem to be from boneheaded plays where they try to get "too cute". That can be stopped with discipline. But they can't be combining for eight turnovers if we want to go deep in the playoffs.

Don't lump Lance in with PG this season. Lance has been pretty good with minimizing TOs, only 1.3/gm on the year. PG has been sloppy all year, but really bad these past few games.

It's not like teams are playing great d against us and forcing TOs. Pacers have just been so careless with their passes. Just shouldn't be happening. Hopefully Vogel is getting on them about that.

D-BONE
02-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Roy would undoubtedly have helped. Enough to win this game? Who knows. Roy's rim protection might have deterred some stuff, but the inability to stop the penetration of their point guards was so egregious in the first half, they still were getting or creating so many easy opportunities.

Their PG combo of Paul & Bledsoe absolutely worked ours. I think that's a legit matchup problem for us against them. Additionally, imagine if they would have hit some of the many wide open threes they were getting in the first quarter or so.

Is there a deeper team in the league than the Clips? The ball-hawking D in the first staff was as good as I've seen this season. Can they / do they do it night in and night out?

I admire that we never gave up and I recognize Hibbert's absence is a legit factor. Not upset overall, but going along to the sloppy first half to an extent (not taking anything away from Clips' influence on it), we just were not sharp - felt like a notable lack of court awareness at times. Great example in second half is letting Barnes run from above the FT line down the lane uncontested for a put-back dunk.

Sparhawk
02-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Roy would undoubtedly have helped. Enough to win this game? Who knows. Roy's rim protection might have deterred some stuff, but the inability to stop the penetration of their point guards was so egregious in the first half, they still were getting or creating so many easy opportunities.

Their PG combo of Paul & Bledsoe absolutely worked ours. I think that's a legit matchup problem for us against them. Additionally, imagine if they would have hit some of the many wide open threes they were getting in the first quarter or so.

Is there a deeper team in the league than the Clips? The ball-hawking D in the first staff was as good as I've seen this season. Can they / do they do it night in and night out?

I admire that we never gave up and I recognize Hibbert's absence is a legit factor. Not upset overall, but going along to the sloppy first half to an extent (not taking anything away from Clips' influence on it), we just were not sharp - felt like a notable like of court awareness at times. Great example in second half is letting Barnes run from above the FT line down the lane uncontested for a put-back dunk.

Wish the Pacers were more ball hawkers. They play it safe, and that certainly works. But forcing TOs is def a good thing, and that something I wish they would do more of.

xIndyFan
02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Surprised watching Bledsoe. He didn't look like anything special at all. Bigger than DJA, more athletic than DJA, but that's it. Makes a nice backup PG, but I just didn't see anything that would make me want him to start for my team. Very much just another athletic guy pretending to be a basketball player. Clippers better pray that 1) Chris Paul doesn't get hurt, 2) Chris Paul doesn't foul out and 3) Chris Paul resigns.

The Clippers would be better off with Kevin Garnett. They needed to try harder to make that trade.

Kid Minneapolis
02-28-2013, 11:08 PM
We weren't sharp tonight on either side of the ball. All due respect to LA, they got the win. But they didn't get a full dose of Pacer basketball. We didn't have our usual defensive intensity... We didn't have the offensive cohesiveness that we've had of late. We weren't getting 50/50 balls like we usualy do. We weren't killin the boards like we normally do. We turned the ball over way more than usual. West and Hill didnt' seem to be hitting as much as you'd expect, they were just off on most of their shots. We also don't get to see LA often and I have way too much confidence in Vogel to make the corrections and adjustments to get the W next time. A lot of those things in the paint that CP was getting, I just can't see him getting those with Hibbert down in there. Hibbert makes a huge defensive difference for this team. CP3 pretty much got to the rim any time he wanted. That's not just not normal against the Pacers this year. Congratz to CP for taking advantage of that hole, but good luck getting those shots next time.

skyfire
02-28-2013, 11:09 PM
They play defense (at least tonight) at a high level with a very different philosophy to ours. Hyper aggressive on the ball, quickly and opportunistically sending double teams, try and force turnovers. We are all about forcing teams into bad shots and contesting everything. The Clips have two players (in Paul and Crawford) who make tough shots at an elite level, so their style of play seems to counter-act our defensive philosophy quite well.

D-BONE
02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
West had 4 turnovers too. I thought Lance had another nice game. I actually think he's the most important energy guy we have. I wish he would have gotten a few more minutes tonight.

I'm fine with DG eventually returning to starters assuming his play merits it. I think he's going to have to play at a much higher level - of course, realizing it's early for conditioning purposes now - to wrest that position from Lance.

Comment on Granger - glad to see him hit some shots. Haven't changed one iota on my position from last year after seeing these few games. He should not be encouraged to lead a breakup or dribble up in transition unless it's a straight breakaway. He's never been effective at it. Tonight he was bringing it up in semi - break situation and PG was wide open up ahead cross court for a wide open wing three. Danny never saw him. So, here's to improved conditioning and shooting for DG! Here's to not having him handle the ball in the open court, but rather finding a pg (or Lance)!

Coopdog23
02-28-2013, 11:12 PM
I was a little unimpressed with Griffin. He had those two nice dunks, but overall he wasn't a big part of their offense tonight. Paul and Crawford controlled the whole game

billbradley
02-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Eh, our backup 5s dropped the ball, literally.

Some people said Danny looked sluggish, I disagree. Anybody looks slower than hyper Lance. I'm very encouraged by #33's movement.

pizza guy
02-28-2013, 11:14 PM
I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but I don't like the Clippers brand of basketball. I think they're going to be like the Colts, strong regular season team, but struggle to win it all while playing that style.
With Roy playing, I bet we win tonight.

Gold
02-28-2013, 11:15 PM
I was a little unimpressed with Griffin. He had those two nice dunks, but overall he wasn't a big part of their offense tonight. Paul and Crawford controlled the whole game

70% shooting not impressive?

D-BONE
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
I actually thought Bledsoe looked quite good tonight, particularly as the back - up to Paul. Very active, scored it, hit some threes, dishes, and another ballhawk on D with deflections. 3 for 4 with a three, 3 boards, 4 assists, and a steal. Looked a hell of a lot better than DJ, who was getting beaten like a drum on D in the 2nd quarter and who gave use 0 points against aggressive defense.

Coopdog23
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
70% shooting not impressive?

He didn't shoot much. It just didn't seem like he was part of the offense. One reason is because Paul and Crawford made nearly every shot tonight

Goyle
02-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Surprised watching Bledsoe. He didn't look like anything special at all. Bigger than DJA, more athletic than DJA, but that's it. Makes a nice backup PG, but I just didn't see anything that would make me want him to start for my team. Very much just another athletic guy pretending to be a basketball player. Clippers better pray that 1) Chris Paul doesn't get hurt, 2) Chris Paul doesn't foul out and 3) Chris Paul resigns.

The Clippers would be better off with Kevin Garnett. They needed to try harder to make that trade.

A little harsh to call him "just another athletic guy pretending to be a basketball player." He's 23 and learning the game. I don't really think he's gonna be a career starter either, but a Jarrett Jack esque career isn't out of the question (two completely different styles obviously).

xIndyFan
02-28-2013, 11:20 PM
I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but I don't like the Clippers brand of basketball. I think they're going to be like the Colts, strong regular season team, but struggle to win it all while playing that style.
With Roy playing, I bet we win tonight.

Another thing that struck me about the Clips, that might hurt them in the playoffs. They don't seem to have a very good rapport with the officials. Lots of whining. Pacers got more calls tonight than in the rest of the month. Clips lose out on most of the 50/50 calls. I just don't see them getting enough calls to come out of the west.

Nuntius
02-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Portland was trading Crawford last year for a pick, that pick was used to get Plumlee by the way.

Well, that's what I found.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2012/3/12/2865903/trade-rumors-bledsoe-and-gomes-to-portland-for-crawford-being

When Crawford rumors first surfaced, it was reported (also by Berger) that the Blazers were adamant about receiving a first round pick in return. In fact, it was said that the Blazers had discussed a deal with the Clippers, but wanted Bledsoe AND a first rounder.

So, it sounds like they wanted a bit more than a single 1st round pick.

Goyle
02-28-2013, 11:22 PM
He didn't shoot much. It just didn't seem like he was part of the offense. One reason is because Paul and Crawford made nearly every shot tonight

We tend to not notice how incredible of a player he actually is when he's not dunking. 18 points on 10 shots, the only shot I actually remember him missing was an odd fadeaway thing at the end of the clock.

bunt
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM

Now look who's being irrational....

Lance George
02-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Eh... it's a tough loss, but I'll live with it. The Clippers are an elite team, and we came in underhanded. It wasn't a bad loss.

croz24
02-28-2013, 11:47 PM
I truly wish fans, of all teams really, would watch an entire game without once following the player with the ball. I think fans would become so much more educated on the game and why certain players aren't nearly as good as their "stats" suggest, and why some are so much better.

boombaby1987
02-28-2013, 11:50 PM
I truly wish fans, of all teams really, would watch an entire game without once following the player with the ball. I think fans would become so much more educated on the game and why certain players aren't nearly as good as their "stats" suggest, and why some are so much better.

Translation: DANNY SUCKS AND NO ONE SHOULD EVER LIKE HIM OR ANYTHING HE DOES ON THE BASKETBALL COURT!

graphic-er
02-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Our defense was a bit ugly tonight. The wings did not pick up the slack of not having Hibbert. Their guards got into the lane at will and the wings did not recover to their shooters. They had the open corner 3 all night long, good thing they didn't hit many of them or this would have been a blow out.

Trader Joe
02-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Translation: DANNY SUCKS AND NO ONE SHOULD EVER LIKE HIM OR ANYTHING HE DOES ON THE BASKETBALL COURT!

I think he may actually be giving Roy a compliment.

Trader Joe
02-28-2013, 11:55 PM
We need to be very, very careful tomorrow. As high as we have been the past two weeks, we are now right back tied with NYK for the two seed. If you slip up tomorrow, then you have the pressure of the Bulls game on national TV Sunday and then the Celtics coming in on Wednesday, and then you hit Florida for the Orlando/Miami two step. Point being? We need to rebound tomorrow and not allow this to turn into a losing streak of any length.

xIndyFan
03-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to BB1987. I am evidently abnormally slow tonight and I had no idea what c24 was talking about. :laugh:

CableKC
03-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Why didn't vogel put George on Paul at the end? Anyone still think Ian should start over Hibbert still?
When has anyone ever suggested this?

Sure, people hate the size of his contract....but I don't think anyone suggested this.

xIndyFan
03-01-2013, 12:12 AM
When has anyone ever suggested this?

Sure, people hate the size of his contract....but I don't think anyone suggested this.

There has been posters suggesting Ian needs to start over Roy. Pretty much every time Roy has a bad game and Ian a good one. Usually with complaints about Roy's contract. :laugh: Funny thing though, now that Roy's shooting better, his contract doesn't seem to suck as much.

CableKC
03-01-2013, 12:21 AM
For some reason.....GH seemed to be non existent on the offensive end. I don't recall him making much of an impact on the offensive end of the game.

CableKC
03-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Frickin CP3 was just lying in wait....waiting to turn it on and score. You have to wonder what his fg% is in the 4th qtr of a game...he's like the anti-DJ....every possession....he just finishes with a score.

Hoop
03-01-2013, 12:42 AM
CP3 is a great player, but man he drives me crazy with the way He jumps into people creates contact and almost always gets the call. He is very tricky at getting people to legitimately foul him, but he get's a lot of calls he shouldn't IMO. Him and Griffin also whine like no others.

Clips are talented, but I don't trust them as a contender. Style of play is one thing. About the time playoffs start there's a good chance CP3 will have some type of hamstring or other leg injury, like he seems to have in so many years past.

I don't known why but every time I see Griffin play he'll make a few freakish athletic plays, put up big numbers, but I always feel he's lacking something, like I always felt about Vince Carter. :whoknows:

dohman
03-01-2013, 12:51 AM
CP3 is a great player, but man he drives me crazy with the way He jumps into people creates contact and almost always gets the call. He is very tricky at getting people to legitimately foul him, but he get's a lot of calls he shouldn't IMO. Him and Griffin also whine like no others.

Clips are talented, but I don't trust them as a contender. Style of play is one thing. About the time playoffs start there's a good chance CP3 will have some type of hamstring or other leg injury, like he seems to have in so many years past.

I don't known why but every time I see Griffin play he'll make a few freakish athletic plays, put up big numbers, but I always feel he's lacking something, like I always felt about Vince Carter. :whoknows:

Its in inability to score without someone putting him into position on a consistent basis.

dohman
03-01-2013, 12:58 AM
We really missed Hibbert on the offensive glass tonight. He is one of the best in the league and it would of been nice to get a few extra looks with all the turnovers.

aamcguy
03-01-2013, 01:15 AM
For some reason.....GH seemed to be non existent on the offensive end. I don't recall him making much of an impact on the offensive end of the game.

Chris Paul is one of the best defensive point guards in the game. This wasn't a game where Hill was being passive. He was working hard, but Paul almost always had the angle on him.

Hicks
03-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Eh, our backup 5s dropped the ball, literally.

Some people said Danny looked sluggish, I disagree. Anybody looks slower than hyper Lance. I'm very encouraged by #33's movement.

Yeah, I thought Danny looked a lot better tonight physically. No surprise that his shot followed that improvement.

Pace Maker
03-01-2013, 01:44 AM
Chris Paul is unbelievably good. I would take him right now even after his torn Meniscus than any current point guard in their primes. He literally makes the correct play 95 out of 100 times it seems. Perfect spot on passes, and is probably the best closer in the game.

With that all said, I'm proud of our guys for fighting til the end, wish we had Hibbert today but no excuses. Paul George hit some big shots, but he also took some hero shots which I hope doesnt become a recurring theme.

Goyle
03-01-2013, 02:04 AM
There has been posters suggesting Ian needs to start over Roy. Pretty much every time Roy has a bad game and Ian a good one. Usually with complaints about Roy's contract. :laugh: Funny thing though, now that Roy's shooting better, his contract doesn't seem to suck as much.

The Ian thing was when we were struggling BAD and we were still trying to run the offense through Roy making him look worse than usual. No one's brought it up since what, the second week of the season maybe?

ECKrueger
03-01-2013, 02:05 AM
I'm glad we get a chance to rebound tommorow.

...and we need to literally rebound.

Goyle
03-01-2013, 02:29 AM
One thing I definitely didn't miss about Danny is his game in transition. Dude's gotta learn to look up or get rid of it quick now that we have guys that are down the court quickly.

ilive4sports
03-01-2013, 04:56 AM
we played terrible and yet had a chance to win without our defensive anchor. sucks to lose, but if Roy plays i think we win that game.

Phree Refill
03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't know how much the complection of the game would have changed if Roy had been playing but I do know that in the 4th qtr when Chris Paul hit 3 tough shots in the lane, Roy could have at the very least made them even tougher (if not out right blocked them) and it might have been enough to get us over the top. Having said that, turnovers in the first half put us in what turned out to be an insurmountable hole. Due to the fact that we've had a turnover problem since the all star break I don't see how the addition of Roy would have really helped us in that department.

solid
03-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Ian got aprox. his normal numbers. The drop off from Hib to Pendy is enormous!
I would have been happy to see a little Plum in that game.

When Lance wasn't on the court we just looked stagnant.

We need a better back up point. If DJ isn't hitting the three he just hurts us.

We did not match their intincity for much of the game. Their pressure put us on our heals. Again that was most noticeable when Lance sat.

It seems like most of our losses come from great play of opposing guards.

They (like the Warriors) proved to be scrappier than I'd expected.

Playoff match up with them would likely go 7 games.

graphic-er
03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
I'd like to think Hibbert would cause some of those CP3 layups to end up in the stands. Last night I think our entire Defensive focus changed a bit with out Hibbert, I didn't see anyone getting up in the opponent's person space. They seemed to be hedging a bit more to guard against the drive.
But it was nice to see that we are capable of putting the clamps down late in game to give ourselves a chance to win. That Last minute was derailed, not just by CP3, by some strange turnovers like David West passing up a shot in the lane to try a 5ft pass to Hansbrough cutting back door. Not the smartest play. Hill missing 2 FT's.

Also we did not attack the post enough. With PG being guarded by the likes of Crawford, we should have posted him up. Blake Griffin wasn't doing much to stop West, who just had a bad shooting night.

Also CP3 is a great player, but he relies an awful lot on getting a screen set for him up top.

Trader Joe
03-01-2013, 10:03 AM
West came to help correctly on the last two CP3 shots, he covered it like HIbby would, the difference is, David is not 7'2". Roy probably gets one of those last 2 and he might have adjusted the other one.

BRushWithDeath
03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
who else wanted to see plumlee tonight?

Maybe his parents?

BPump33
03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Maybe his parents?

Nah, Mason had a game.

BRushWithDeath
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Also CP3 is a great player, but he relies an awful lot on getting a screen set for him up top.

Since when did operating best out of a pick and roll make a point guard less of a player? I can't see how that could be a bad thing as long as they continue to play 5 on a side.

Since86
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Valiant effort there at the end. Would have been nice to see more backcuts set up during the first half with their over pursuant defense. Felt like the Pacers were stuck in neutral for the longest time. Gotta make them pay for the reaching gambling. Can't stay in good defensive position when you're trying to jump hand-offs.

The clippers half court offense is horrid though. Outside of CP3 and Crawford, they don't have much fire power. I'm not sure relying on two guys to create everything for everyone else is really the winning ticket. Those two are flat out amazing with what they do, but that's a whole lot of load to carry.

Griffin just doesn't impress me all that much. I don't think having your back to the basket, jumping and turning in air, while flipping a shot towards the rim is gonna take him very far. Butler and Billups need crutches.

McKeyFan
03-01-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't like the way Frank used Lance this game.

We were down six when he came in to the game with 7 minutes remaining in the half. He was the first starter replaced in the third and we were only down 1—and Lance had led a big comeback. By the time he finally came back in, we were down 16 with 7 minutes to go. He helped get us to within 4, but it was too late, and we had to throw up a bunch of hail mary shots.

Guys can protest that Granger would have had to come out (and this will be the reigning controversy in the future), but for the this game Frank could have been a little more creative. Hibbert was suspended and Lance could have gotten more minutes while Danny played the four. Instead, Tyler and Ian and Pendy got extra minutes.

Brohan Cruyff
03-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Guys can protest that Granger would have had to come out (and this will be the reigning controversy in the future), but for the this game Frank could have been a little more creative. Hibbert was suspended and Lance could have gotten more minutes while Danny played the four. Instead, Tyler and Ian and Pendy got extra minutes.

I was thinking the same thing. Particularly when Jordan was off the court, I was hoping to see a bit of an unconventional lineup - Hill, Lance, PG, DG, and West. It might not have worked, but I feel like there were times in the game where we needed something a little different (particularly with Roy unavailable) and that might have been it.

Coopdog23
03-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Since when did operating best out of a pick and roll make a point guard less of a player? I can't see how that could be a bad thing as long as they continue to play 5 on a side.

Plus they use that little brush screen for the point guard that gives them 5+ baskets a game for Paul or Bledsoe. Paul uses screens as good as any point guard in the NBA

graphic-er
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM

I'm not saying that, I'm just saying we have these elite Point guards like CP3 and Rose, and we view them as elite players that can do anything on the court, but 90% of the time they can't initiate offense without screening their man. Now in that relm of offense they are elite, but I just wonder if we aren't assigning greatness because of it. THere is a reason none of these elite point guards have never made the finals.

Trader Joe
03-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm not saying that, I'm just saying we have these elite Point guards like CP3 and Rose, and we view them as elite players that can do anything on the court, but 90% of the time they can't initiate offense without screening their man. Now in that relm of offense they are elite, but I just wonder if we aren't assigning greatness because of it. THere is a reason none of these elite point guards have never made the finals.

Tony Parker?

ilive4sports
03-01-2013, 05:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Particularly when Jordan was off the court, I was hoping to see a bit of an unconventional lineup - Hill, Lance, PG, DG, and West. It might not have worked, but I feel like there were times in the game where we needed something a little different (particularly with Roy unavailable) and that might have been it.
i dont think Vogel is comfortable putting Danny at the 4 yet.

CableKC
03-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Ian got aprox. his normal numbers. The drop off from Hib to Pendy is enormous!
I would have been happy to see a little Plum in that game.
Minor point....but Mahinmi averages about 16 to 19 mpg as the backup Center....he played 25 minutes yesterday.

I agree with your point on Lance.....when he's aggressive, handling the ball and attacking the basket....the personality of the overall lineup on the floor with him changes.

McKeyFan
03-01-2013, 09:36 PM
i dont think Vogel is comfortable putting Danny at the 4 yet.
Well, I don't know all the in and outs of the situation, but I certainly am more comfortable with Danny and West at the 4 and 5 then Tyler and West.