PDA

View Full Version : Our Season is NOT over.

Hicks
12-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi. You may remember me as the guy who gets barked at by many on game night for being a pessimist, or "indytoad jr.". Keep that in mind when I say: This season is far from over. Our title hopes have not gone down in flames. Not by a long shot. Prepare to be surprised (for the good) this May.

:gopacers:

Shade
12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
I agree. The Pistons are not as good as last year, and even if they were, Ron's game was subpar against them last year anyway. It's us and the Heat for the conference, IMO.

However, we are now a weaker overall team (still Top 5, IMO) and will likely not beat the best in the West if we get to the Finals.

Stuck Fern. :mad:

Mushmouth
12-22-2004, 12:00 PM
I'd love to believe ya, but its just not the case. We'll have a hard time with the Cleveland's, Miami's and Detroit's, never mind the West powers.

There is no rational basketball argument that makes us a Title Contender (or even a top 9 NBA team) without Ron Artest.

For all those that thought we should have traded Ron before the season etc etc - you're about to find out the ceiling on our team without Ron. It's not be ugly like the last few weeks, but it won't be pretty.

p.s.- I'll lay out the teams that are clearly better than us, even after we get Jax back:

1) Phoenix
2) Seattle
3) San Antone
4) Miami
5) Cleveland
6) Detroit
7) Sacto
8) Minnesota
9) Dallas

okay, so we are at best 10th best in the NBA.

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-22-2004, 12:02 PM
I think this is good though. We can see how we will be without Ronnie, and then decide if he is really worth it or not.

Hicks
12-22-2004, 12:02 PM
I think the notion that the West's best are even better than the East's best is nothing but a myth.

The West is a deeper conference than the East, but it doesn't have superior teams at the top vs ours.

pb777
12-22-2004, 12:05 PM
I have thought all season that we can compete with any team in the NBA, but that RON was our key to the trophy. I really really really hope that i've been wrong with that thought.

But it does feel good to have JO back, by far this is the best Christmas gift ever!

Unclebuck
12-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Is the "season over" of course not, whenever there is still a game to be played anything can happen. So I am not giving up, should be interesting to see just what a healthy Pacers team can do without Artest.

Having said that without Artest the pacers chances of winning a championship have dropped, the chances of even getting to the ECF is a lot less.

Pacers better avoid the really good small forwards in the playoffs. Luckily the heat and Pistons don't have a great high scoring small forward.

Without Artest (this might sound strange) but Tinsley is the most important player on the team, he must be healthy for the playoffs, because without ron the pacers just lost their bet creator

Hicks
12-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Pacers better avoid the really good small forwards in the playoffs. Luckily the heat and Pistons don't have a great high scoring small forward.
Nor does San Antonio, the team I fully expect to come from the West for the Finals.

SoupIsGood
12-22-2004, 12:16 PM
We will still hoist the trophy when all is said and done. And we will even give Ron a ring, and then send him packing.

Mushmouth
12-22-2004, 12:20 PM
We will still hoist the trophy when all is said and done. And we will even give Ron a ring, and then send him packing.

They're giving trophies for third place in the Central Division now?

Hicks
12-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Do I need to post a new sticky thread where everyone that feels the need, can go shoot themselves or jump out a high-story window?

Mushmouth
12-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Do I need to post a new sticky thread where everyone that feels the need, can go shoot themselves or jump out a high-story window?

yes

also, a game where I can shoot David Stern in the face with lawn darts would be cool too... :)

Anthem
12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Well, now there's a real spot in the rotation for Bender...

SoupIsGood
12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Office space! What a great sig.

Shade
12-22-2004, 12:32 PM
yes

also, a game where I can shoot David Stern in the face with lawn darts would be cool too... :)
:laugh:

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, now there's a real spot in the rotation for Bender...

Exactly where I was headed. We need him now more than ever. If he shows up and surprises us, and we win the ship this year, I will personally fly out to Indy and stand in Monument Circle naked with a sign saying "I want to kiss Benders a$$ NOW!".

We should be thanking Fred Jones right now for stepping up and giving us a nice dependable backup shooting guard so that Jackson could step in and take Ron's spot. Jackson can make up for Rons scoring by himself if he wants to, and as a team we can make up for Rons missing defense. The season is far from over. Now if Tinsley was out for the year then that would be a different story...

Lord Helmet
12-22-2004, 02:47 PM
I have thought all season that we can compete with any team in the NBA, but that RON was our key to the trophy. I really really really hope that i've been wrong with that thought.

But it does feel good to have JO back, by far this is the best Christmas gift ever! Well technicly we don't have JO back yet.Hopefully we will learn more on the league's challenge tommorow.

able
12-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Exactly where I was headed. We need him now more than ever. If he shows up and surprises us, and we win the ship this year, I will personally fly out to Indy and stand in Monument Circle naked with a sign saying "I want to kiss Benders a$$ NOW!".

This is registered and filed for "enforced pay-up if needed""

I'll be there to help you strip! and I am sure there are more here who want to help if need be, of course our resident photographer will take those all important family snaps for the folks back home :D

McKeyFan
12-22-2004, 03:02 PM
As a major Artest fan, the only thing I've read that gives me any kind of consolation is the comment that we will learn this year what we are capable of without Ron. Then, over the summer, we will have a better sense of whether to keep him or trade him.

waterjater
12-22-2004, 03:33 PM
True, the season isn't over as there are still games to be played.

BUT, I believe there is no way we will win a championship this year. I just don't see it happening. Pistons won't be there either. It will be the Heat (Shaq/Wade) or Cleveland (King Lebron) representing the East. Even it Artest came back this year, we wouldn't make it...not after the Brawl.

Both the Pistons and Pacers games are being called with extreme scrutiny right now which means neither team can get away with much contact, hence giving the advantage to our opponents. I'm NOT saying a conspiracy theory at all...just stating what I believe is reasonable right now. Just like the refs watching the contact in the NFL, the refs are watching the contact in the NBA closer this season and are probably watching the Pistons and Pacers more closely than the rest in light of the events at the Palace.

I agree with most that this is a chance to finally see what Bender can do and how we'll fare without Artest. I've enjoyed watching Fred and James mature as players since the incident. It would be nice to see the same from Bender.

Water

Mourning
12-22-2004, 03:35 PM
I'd love to believe ya, but its just not the case. We'll have a hard time with the Cleveland's, Miami's and Detroit's, never mind the West powers.

There is no rational basketball argument that makes us a Title Contender (or even a top 9 NBA team) without Ron Artest.

For all those that thought we should have traded Ron before the season etc etc - you're about to find out the ceiling on our team without Ron. It's not be ugly like the last few weeks, but it won't be pretty.

p.s.- I'll lay out the teams that are clearly better than us, even after we get Jax back:

1) Phoenix
2) Seattle
3) San Antone
4) Miami
5) Cleveland
6) Detroit
7) Sacto
8) Minnesota
9) Dallas

okay, so we are at best 10th best in the NBA.

Good post! 100% aggree! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

MagicRat
12-22-2004, 03:49 PM
I think this is good though. We can see how we will be without Ronnie.......

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/notes_040420.html

Including tonight's win, the Pacers are 8-2 in 2003-04 without Ron Artest in the lineup.

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-22-2004, 04:00 PM
ESPN.com:

"O'Neal's ban was reduced from 25 games to 15. Kaplan cited O'Neal's "character, community involvement and citizenship" in deeming Stern's suspension "excessive."

Hicks
12-22-2004, 04:03 PM
ESPN.com:

"O'Neal's ban was reduced from 25 games to 15. Kaplan cited O'Neal's "character, community involvement and citizenship" in deeming Stern's suspension "excessive."
Great, but why are you posting this in the wrong thread?

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Yep just realized that. Too many windows open, sorry

recap
12-22-2004, 04:27 PM
I am so devestated. Our only hope is...I can't even think it...

recap
12-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Bender

Mourning
12-22-2004, 05:11 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/notes_040420.html

Including tonight's win, the Pacers are 8-2 in 2003-04 without Ron Artest in the lineup.

We did have another player backthan that played Forward as his primary position. Now SJax could be a decent SF, but it's not where he is best used, so I personally don't expect him to be effective as I guess some of you are thinking he will be. Convince me............. please:(.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Hicks
12-22-2004, 05:13 PM
We did have another player backthan that played Forward as his primary position. Now SJax could be a decent SF, but it's not where he is best used, so I personally don't expect him to be effective as I guess some of you are thinking he will be. Convince me............. please:(.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: He put up his best #s as a pro playing there for an entire season. (Last year)

DisplacedKnick
12-22-2004, 05:43 PM
See, while I don't think Jackson's the player Artest is (do I even need the qualifier here?) I'm not sure losing Ron hurts you. Did he help you in the ECF last year? He couldn't defend Rip, he had a very bad foul in game six, he couldn't defend Wade in the 2nd rd.

You weren't in the ECF because of Ron last year and he sure didn't help you win it.

SJax is as good an offensive player as Ron. He's not the defender - but he is pretty good. And he may be better at defending SG's. Plus you don't have to be wondering what whacko move he's going to pull at a critical moment of a game or season - whether he makes the team flight, quits the team to produce a CD, tears a camera off a guy's shoulder, gives the finger to a bunch of fans ...

I think Ron did a lot to instill some toughness in the team last year - but it's been instilled. They aren't gonna suddenly turn into whimps because he isn't around. I guess I don't see where this hurts you all that much.

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-22-2004, 05:46 PM
See, while I don't think Jackson's the player Artest is (do I even need the qualifier here?) I'm not sure losing Ron hurts you. Did he help you in the ECF last year? He couldn't defend Rip, he had a very bad foul in game six, he couldn't defend Wade in the 2nd rd.

You weren't in the ECF because of Ron last year and he sure didn't help you win it.

SJax is as good an offensive player as Ron. He's not the defender - but he is pretty good. And he may be better at defending SG's. Plus you don't have to be wondering what whacko move he's going to pull at a critical moment of a game or season - whether he makes the team flight, quits the team to produce a CD, tears a camera off a guy's shoulder, gives the finger to a bunch of fans ...

I think Ron did a lot to instill some toughness in the team last year - but it's been instilled. They aren't gonna suddenly turn into whimps because he isn't around. I guess I don't see where this hurts you all that much.

And that ladies and gentlemen is how I feel in a nutshell. Well said.

Doug
12-22-2004, 05:47 PM

I'm pretty much in agreement with this.

It seemed like Ron was a time bomb waiting to explode. Well, that's over and done with. I think there is probably a sense of relief, at least when everybody is back.

Ron's best position: Martyr

He can give us a cause to rally around, without the distractions, without the maintenance, without the stress.

Anthem
12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Well, I fully disagree with Rim and Doug. But it's done, now, and I'm tired of looking back. If Ron doesn't come back, then I assume we get to keep 16 men for the season? If so, here's our lineup once everyone's back from injuries/suspensions:

Foster / Harrison / Pollard
JO / Croshere / Haislip
Jax / Bender / Curry
Reggie / Freddy / JJ
Tinsley / AJ / Gill

Plus a suspended Ron makes 16. JJ's not really a SG, I know, but it keeps it even. In reality, he's the 4th-string SF, while Jax will probably spend some time at SG. Whatever.

That's not a bad team. If Bender ever puts himself together, it could actually be a darned fine team. Of course, those who said Artest couldn't handle pressure are gonna hate Bender, but they probably already do.

mmxx
12-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Having said that without Artest the pacers chances of winning a championship have dropped, the chances of even getting to the ECF is a lot less.

That is a great point. If you look at what other Eastern Conference GMs (Rod Thorn, Pat Riley) are busy doing lately you know they see that as well.

Vince Carter.

Jalen Rose.

Why are they targeting these guys

Between with and without Ron Artest you get 20 points difference per game...