PDA

View Full Version : Hibbert, Lee suspended one game

Indra
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/2013/news/02/27/warriors-pacers-suspensions/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

NEW YORK -- Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations announced suspensions and fines today following an altercation last night between the Indiana Pacers and Golden State Warriors that moved into the seating area.
Indiana's Roy Hibbert and Golden State's David Lee have each been suspended one game without pay for instigating the altercation. The Warriors' Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson and the Pacers' Lance Stephenson have each been fined $35,000 for escalating the altercation.
The incident occurred with 6:10 remaining in the fourth quarter of Indiana's 108-97 win over Golden State at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Feb. 26.
Hibbert will serve his suspension on Thursday, Feb. 28 when the Pacers host the Los Angeles Clippers. Lee will miss the Warriors' game tonight vs. the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Hoop
02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by any decision the NBA ever makes, but I really didn't think anyone would be suspended. No big deal we'll suck it up and beat down the Clips anyway.

Indra
02-27-2013, 06:07 PM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by any decision the NBA ever makes, but I really didn't think anyone would be suspended. No big deal we'll suck it up and beat down the Clips anyway.

I felt that Hibbert would definitely be suspended. If anything happened to the Warriors then that's gravy.

A-Train
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Dumb decision. The whole thing escalated because of Curry. Oh well, what can you do?

Coupe
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/184078_596626677032527_1379405063_n.jpg

DJVendetta
02-27-2013, 06:12 PM
35K ?!?!?! REALLY?

Coupe
02-27-2013, 06:12 PM
35K ?!?!?! REALLY?

yeah, what will he ever do now?

BillS
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Lance was fined but not West? I really wasn't watching Lance during the replays, what did he do that was worse than what David did?

Bottom line, though, is that I'm relieved. The PTSD from 2004 goes down a notch or two ...

Miller_time04
Wow. I knew it would probably happen, but that sucks. If curry didnt escalate it no one would be suspended. Gonna be tough to be the clips without the big dawg, but I think it's possible.

Justin Tyme
I expected Hibbert to be suspended, and I'm glad Lee was as well. I really thought DWest would get fined, but I don't recall seeing Stephenson involved in the fracus. Where was he at, and what did he do?

Miller_time04
02-27-2013, 06:14 PM
And 35k is a decent chunk of change for Lance. I feel bad for him considering he is overplaying his contract right now.

Miller_time04
02-27-2013, 06:14 PM
I heard Lance pushed his hand into someone's face.

BillS
02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
35K ?!?!?! REALLY?

35K off a rookie contract isn't the peanuts it looks like. At 870K this year, that's about 3 games worth of pay, or 4%. It's like fining a minimum wage guy $625.

Hoop
02-27-2013, 06:22 PM
That would be cool if some of the higher paid guys could help pay Lance's fine. They'd probably have to keep it quiet.

Heck I'll chip in a twenty. :D

Heisenberg
02-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Next time someone calls Lance a bad apple you now have evidence of him donating 4% of his annual income to charity. Beat that naysayer!

rock747
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
So how does this incident merit suspension but Carmelo and the Knick's does not?

DJVendetta
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
35K off a rookie contract isn't the peanuts it looks like. At 870K this year, that's about 3 games worth of pay, or 4%. It's like fining a minimum wage guy $625.

Still think the NBA over does a lot of stuff. Hands in someones face costs you 35K? Saying you think the Refs suck costs you 15K. It's a bit much sometimes, I know they have the money for it and that is probably why they do it, but still idk.....these sports leagues are ran as if the power is getting to their heads (Stern, Goodell, etc)

Hoop
02-27-2013, 06:26 PM
So how does this incident merit suspension but Carmelo and the Knick's does not?You answered your own question, it was Carmelo and the Knicks. ;)

BillS
02-27-2013, 06:26 PM
So how does this incident merit suspension but Carmelo and the Knick's does not?

That question contains its own answer :zip:

Trophy
02-27-2013, 06:29 PM
That seems fair. Both guys, not one or the other, will be suspended for a game.

Derek2k3
02-27-2013, 06:35 PM
There shouldn't be any suspensions...but if there has to be, the only defensible ones are Roy and Curry.

Roy was the one who pushed after the whistle, and Curry was the jackass that kept instigating things.

Don't see why Lee gets suspended for doing something that happens every game (Little pushing and shoving).

This whole thing is so stupid. So, so stupid. Lance got dinged because he got into the middle of it, although I didn't think he was doing anything other than pulling guys off one another. But, he can't be getting in the middle of that stuff and not expect repercussions.

DGPR
02-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Maybe this will be the point in the season when we will look back 4 months down the road and say, that's when Hibbert went into beast mode.

Sollozzo
02-27-2013, 06:44 PM

How does it work exactly? Do the Pacers take money out of Lance's next paycheck and pay it to the league, or does Lance have to directly cut the league a check?

PacersHomer
02-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Hopefully we don't have to see Plumlee.

count55
02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
How does it work exactly? Do the Pacers take money out of Lance's next paycheck and pay it to the league, or does Lance have to directly cut the league a check?

The Pacers will withhold it, and the money will go to charities designated by the NBA and NBPA.

binarysolo
02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
I really wasn't watching Lance during the replays, what did he do that was worse than what David did?

I think most of you guys missed it, but Lance was face-to-face with Curry near the end of it. He grabbed the chest of Curry's jersey and wouldn't let go for a few seconds despite Curry's protestations. This was when one of the assistants was bear-hugging him. It's kinda hard to see, but you can definitely make out Lance's hand grabbing Curry. It looked pretty intense for the few seconds.

Derek2k3
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Should see a lot of David, Ian, Tyler, Pendy.

Pacer Fan
02-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Fair for Lee and Hibbert, Lee instigated by throwing the elbow in Roy's back on the end of a dead play. Roy pushing Lee in retaliation. Then, Lee starting the forward motion of the chest bump.

Then, for when it appeared to be over with, Curry decides to go after Hibbert as if he can do something. Then Roy sheds the perp and Curry couldn't get enough so he goes back for more.

I believe that Stern must have felt sorry for this little perp with a big heart. Stern must have figured that the world media seeing young Curry getting pushed aside from Hibbert's hips like a blown up doll was humiliation enough not to suspend him.

I do have to say that Lee was an absolute STUD in his post game interview. I have much respect for him at this point.

vapacersfan
02-27-2013, 06:51 PM

Remembering phil jacksons book.

It is auto deducted by the NBA. Phil said how much he hated fines because he had to transfer money from his savings to checkings

Though if you dont get in trouble again the league gives you a percentage of thr fine money back. Or at least they did

Sollozzo
02-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Remembering phil jacksons book.

It is auto deducted by the NBA. Phil said how much he hated fines because he had to transfer money from his savings to checkings

Though if you dont get in trouble again the league gives you a percentage of thr fine money back. Or at least they did

What a rough life.

vapacersfan
02-27-2013, 06:54 PM
What a rough life.

Hahaha

i had the same reaction

thiugh to be fair a dine always sux, regardless of your salary

Sandman21
02-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Then, for when it appeared to be over with, Curry decides to go after Hibbert as if he can do something. Then Roy sheds the perp and Curry couldn't get enough so he goes back for more.

I believe that Stern must have felt sorry for this little perp with a big heart. Stern must have figured that the world media seeing young Curry getting pushed aside from Hibbert's hips like a blown up doll was humiliation enough not to suspend him.

Or Stern happened to notice that the Warriors and Knicks are on ESPN tonight...... hmmm.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

McDunken
02-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Well...... At least Lee got suspended.

Derek2k3
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Fair for Lee and Hibbert, Lee instigated by throwing the elbow in Roy's back on the end of a dead play. Roy pushing Lee in retaliation. Then, Lee starting the forward motion of the chest bump.

I enjoyed your notes about Curry, haha. Good stuff.

As far as the above, objectively speaking Roy crashed into Lee first. Roy came down the lane and easily could have picked up a foul the way he rammed into Lee. Then Lee rammed right back, and THAT'S when the foul was called. A lot of people think the foul was called on West's shot, but it wasn't. The refs were calling Lee for clearing Roy out.

Lee's push came in the course of live play, Roy's retaliating was after the whistle. I personally wouldn't like it if the roles were reversed (Roy got overly physical with Lee and Lee retaliated after the whistle), and while I understand the league isn't trying to play favorites, I believe Curry was more worthy of a suspension than Lee.

pacer4ever
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Surprised West didnt get a game. Shocked he didn't even get fined. I guess Stu fears him lol.

I don't get why Lance got fined he didn't do anything.

Heisenberg
02-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Surprised West didnt get a game. Shocked he didn't even get fined. I guess Stu fears him lol.

I don't get why Lance got fined he didn't do anything.Yeah, Lance getting fined is pretty weird. Didn't look like he did anything more than all the other guys that didn't get fined did. Makes even less sense when Jack and West didn't get anything.

also don't really agree w/ a flat rate for fines, should be a % of a guy's salary

Pacer Fan
02-27-2013, 07:06 PM
I enjoyed your notes about Curry, haha. Good stuff.

As far as the above, objectively speaking Roy crashed into Lee first. Roy came down the lane and easily could have picked up a foul the way he rammed into Lee. Then Lee rammed right back, and THAT'S when the foul was called. A lot of people think the foul was called on West's shot, but it wasn't. The refs were calling Lee for clearing Roy out.

Lee's push came in the course of live play, Roy's retaliating was after the whistle. I personally wouldn't like it if the roles were reversed (Roy got overly physical with Lee and Lee retaliated after the whistle), and while I understand the league isn't trying to play favorites, I believe Curry was more worthy of a suspension than Lee.

Your right, So if the refs would have called a foul on Hibbert at the beginning,, then the play would have stopped and Lee wouldn't have thrown the Elbow into Hibbert's back. So, I claim bad refs caused it all by allowing it to escalate and the refs should get suspended. ;-)

pacer4ever
02-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Yeah, Lance getting fined is pretty weird. Didn't look like he did anything more than all the other guys that didn't get fined did. Makes even less sense when Jack and West didn't get anything.

also don't really agree w/ a flat rate for fines, should be a % of a guy's salary

How much of the fine do these guys actually pay though? Doesnt it come out of their taxes? I am not sure how it works but I though it was good for your taxes to donate to a charity.

Coupe
02-27-2013, 07:14 PM
@PacersKev Roy paying for Lance's fine is am amazing act. For better or worse we are a team.

CableKC
02-27-2013, 07:15 PM

When anyone....whether it be a Ref or Stern..... does anything bad to BAMF ( such as getting fined, receives a Technical foul, heaven forbid...gets suspended )BAMF shows up at your door the next day...and tells you...no...shows you....why doing that would be considered a "bad idea".

A-Train

Straight cash, homey!

CableKC
@PacersKev Roy paying for Lance's fine is am amazing act. For better or worse we are a team.
That's what family does....they take care of their own.

pacer4ever
Roy is taking care of Lances fine is good news and not surprising. I am surprised Hibbert is the only one though, I figured all the vets especially Dwest would chip in for Lance. It would be different if he deserved it, but in no way did Lance deserve a fine.

aamcguy
02-27-2013, 07:17 PM

I would have been very surprised if West did. I've seen comments everywhere from West throwing punches to him grabbing Biedrins' head. To me it looked like he bulled his way to the stands/court dividing line and tried to pull the scrum away from there. When Biedrins and Curry fell down because Biedrins was bear hugging Curry after he grabbed Lance's arm, he let em go and focused on the other guys.

Nuntius
02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
It seems quite fair for the most part, imo. The only part that I disagree is with Lance being fined. I think that the vets should chip in and pay those 35k ;)

Justin Tyme
02-27-2013, 07:22 PM

You beat me to this. It would have been cheaper for Stephenson at $10,000 a game salary to have been suspended for one game than the $35,000 fine.

I'm really surprised Dwest wasn't fined. I thought for sure he would be.

Day-V
02-27-2013, 07:25 PM
When anyone....whether it be a Ref or Stern..... does anything bad to BAMF ( such as getting fined, receives a Technical foul, heaven forbid...gets suspended )BAMF shows up at your door the next day...and tells you...no...shows you....why doing that would be considered a "bad idea".

Why is this green?

count55
02-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Only if Lance has to pay $140 for a gallon of milk or $200 for a gallon of gas.

It is a significant chunk of money, but you cannot use this kind of math. It ignores the difference between money for basics and money available for discretionary spend.

Jrod Jones
02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Roy is taking care of Lances fine is good news and not surprising. I am surprised Hibbert is the only one though, I figured all the vets especially Dwest would chip in for Lance. It would be different if he deserved it, but in no way did Lance deserve a fine.

I think Roy being the only one to cover the fine has to do with Roy being the "reason" for the situation. If the cause for the fine had been more of a team wide situation, I think we would see the whole team pitch in together to cover the fine. Because Lance was directly involved to protect/defend Roy, it's just a way for Roy to say thank you. I think it should be taken as more as a nice gesture from Roy than a snub from the rest of the team.

rabid
02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
It's all very silly, I don't think suspensions were warranted either way. At least it's just one game.

vapacersfan
02-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Fine money does not come out of "taxes". It is straight out of a paycheck

I thought it was against the rules to pay for someone else's fine...maybe I am thinking of some weird NFL rule. Either way, a stupid rule.

Good on Roy for picking up the fine.

aamcguy
02-27-2013, 07:39 PM

I thought it was against the rules to pay for someone else's fine...maybe I am thinking of some weird NFL rule. Either way, a stupid rule.

It's not against the rules to just give somebody $35,000 though.

HickeyS2000
02-27-2013, 07:41 PM

The money can be used as a tax deduction, as it is being given to charity. However, the donation is made on behalf of the NBA and NBAPA, not on behalf of the player. So the NBA gets to deduct it.

shags
02-27-2013, 07:45 PM

It went into the crowd.

CableKC
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Why is this green?
Wait....does West really do that? Cuz seroiusly.......if West ever shows up at your door uninvited.....has that scowl on his face ( the one that he always has when he's on the floor ).....and ( most importantly ) doesn't have a bucket of Fried Chicken in his hands.....it's best not to open that door. :D

count55
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM

If there is such a rule, the purpose would be to prevent situations where, say, Wade & James tell Dexter Pittman to go after Lance with a cheap shot, then cover him.

Or, an environment where it isn't openly planned, but a fringe player may know he'll be "covered" if he does something like rid the kingdom of this turbulent priest.

It's not against the rules to just give somebody $35,000 though.

If there is a rule (which I think there is, but am not 100% sure), then there are plenty of ways around it.

However, the CBA & the league operates in a "disallow by default" mode. This means that the CBA isn't a list of the things a team or players can't do, it's a list of things the teams and can do. In other words, things don't have to be expressly forbidden, they have to be expressly allowed.

shags
02-27-2013, 07:56 PM
And btw, according to Golden State beat writers, Lee might not have played tonight anyway due to a shoulder injury.

https://twitter.com/Rusty_SFChron

ColeTheMole
02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
And btw, according to Golden State beat writers, Lee might not have played tonight anyway due to a shoulder injury.

https://twitter.com/Rusty_SFChron

Yeah, from ramming into Hibbert because he didn't know how else to fight.

vapacersfan
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Count, I get that and totally agree.

aamcguy,

Without going totally off topic, I think 35K would be above the legally allowed "gift tax" rate and would get hella tricky.

That said, there are ways around anything.

I just found it odd that Roy admitted he was covering the fine out loud (or rather the team did)

I thought that was against the rules, though I would need to see it in writing from someone else more in the know to verify

Coupe
02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/535531_596628030365725_183350480_n.jpg

Trader Joe
02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Might we see a "small" lineup for the first time tomorrow for some minutes.

Hmmm
Hill, Lance, Paul, Danny, West

Trader Joe
02-27-2013, 08:14 PM

I think it is simply, I am the highest paid player on the team, I was involved in the initial reaction, I carry the most responsibility of any Pacer.

Good on Roy I say.

Cousy47
02-27-2013, 08:16 PM
To just re-post myself, this is exactly what I had complained would happen. Now the Knicks have a better chance to gain a game on the Pacers and The Clippers have a better chance to gain a game on the Warriors. Reward the "Favs", double punish the small market "have nots". Stern's NBA!

Sandman21
02-27-2013, 08:19 PM
It went into the crowd.

And yet those responsible for sending it into the crowd are playing tonight.....

ColeTheMole
02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
To just re-post myself, this is exactly what I had complained would happen. Now the Knicks have a better chance to gain a game on the Pacers and The Clippers have a better chance to gain a game on the Warriors. Reward the "Favs", double punish the small market "have nots". Stern's NBA!

That would be a good point if it was a four team battle royale. The Knicks and Clippers didn't get punished for the Pacers and Warriors getting in a fight. Stern's NBA!

BlueCollarColts
02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
I just saw that Roy Hibbert said he is going to pay Lance Stephenson's fine, shows how close this team is.

BlueCollarColts
02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
I just saw that Roy Hibbert said he is going to pay Lance Stephenson's fine, shows how close this team is.
my bad, just saw this was posted earlier, a little late sorry

Pacerized
02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
This just gives NY a break more then anything. We're out Hibbert on our next game and they don't have to face a key player in their next game.

shags
02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
And yet those responsible for sending it into the crowd are playing tonight.....

If anyone should be suspended from Golden State, it should be Curry, IMO. So I agree with you there.

I'm just saying that's why there were suspensions. If it happens at midcourt, no suspensions, IMO.

CableKC
02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Might we see a "small" lineup for the first time tomorrow for some minutes.

Hmmm
Hill, Lance, Paul, Danny, West
If Vogel sticks to the way that he runs his lineups.....then my guess is that he won't. I think that Vogel is a stickler for roles and who is subbed in at each position. When GH went down with injury...it was Ben that was given more minutes at the backup PG spot...not Lance.

Add in that Granger just isn't in game-shape.....I'm thinking that with Hibbert out...that just means that Mahinmi plays Hibbert's 29 mpg and Pendy will play the remaining backup Center minutes at 19 mpg.

shags
02-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Will Pendergraph start? Doesn't Vogel like to keep his rotations the same when a starter is out, which means moving a player who doesn't play at all in the starting lineup so the bench can be close to normal?

CableKC
02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Will Pendergraph start? Doesn't Vogel like to keep his rotations the same when a starter is out, which means moving a player who doesn't play at all in the starting lineup so the bench can be close to normal?
I assume that Mahinmi will start.....but even if he doesn't....I'm guessing that it won't matter....he'll still play Hibbert's 28 minutes.

Derek2k3
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM

Naw. Last time he bumped Tyler into the starting lineup.

I'd imagine we see Ian starting, especially because we need that size protecting the rim against Charmin Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan.

Indra
02-27-2013, 09:06 PM

I do have to say that Lee was an absolute STUD in his post game interview. I have much respect for him at this point.

I live in the Bay Area, and Lee does a weekly radio spot that I listen to from time to time, and he's a very intelligent, thoughtful dude. He let the heat of the moment get the best of him in this case, but he's really a stand-up guy and a model athlete.

Nuntius
02-27-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm glad that Roy is going to take care of Lance's fine :)

Hoop
02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Count, I get that and totally agree.

aamcguy,

Without going totally off topic, I think 35K would be above the legally allowed "gift tax" rate and would get hella tricky.

That said, there are ways around anything.

I just found it odd that Roy admitted he was covering the fine out loud (or rather the team did)

I thought that was against the rules, though I would need to see it in writing from someone else more in the know to verify

Anything over $12,000 given as a "gift" in a one year period has to be filed on the receiving person's taxes.

Basketball Fan
02-27-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised I expected a lot worse actually given our past history and how it went into the stands

Naptown_Seth
02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Lance was fined but not West? I really wasn't watching Lance during the replays, what did he do that was worse than what David did?

Bottom line, though, is that I'm relieved. The PTSD from 2004 goes down a notch or two ...
I agree.

However this once again just shows how inconsistent or illogical the NBA League Office is. Hibbert, 1 game, correct. Lance fined, I can see that.

But Lee suspended? I was ticked at him but given what went down I think if Roy hadn't thrown Curry off of him then he and Lee both couldn't be seen as "instigators" of the larger scrum, so to me Lee gets a small fine for his initial push and retaliation push.

I was beating up J Jack last night, but when I saw a different angle you could see it was KLAY THOMPSON who was the biggest problem He's the one that shoved Roy as hard as he could and pushed the whole pile deep into the stands. That's the point when West got involved.

Curry obviously was also an escalator, not just for his initial "tackle" attempt but for getting back up and running right back at Roy while Paul tried to hold him back.

West was late to the crowd, but when he got there he shoved Biedrens in the face and pushed the GSW coach back.

So why does Lee catch a game instead of a modest fine? Why doesn't West catch one of the larger fines? And why aren't Klay and Curry both hit with 1 game suspensions?

Once again the NBA seem unable to deal out justice as well as a parent despite having video evidence that any parent would dream of having for conflict resolution. You don't like it going into the crowd, well then punish the players that made it go into the crowd - Curry and Klay, with West catching a healthy knock for pushing a player in the face.

If you remove those 3 actions then even Roy wouldn't have been suspended or even caught a second tech. It would have been double tech on Roy/Lee and that's it, if not for Curry and then Klay.

aamcguy
02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
If there is a rule (which I think there is, but am not 100% sure), then there are plenty of ways around it.

However, the CBA & the league operates in a "disallow by default" mode. This means that the CBA isn't a list of the things a team or players can't do, it's a list of things the teams and can do. In other words, things don't have to be expressly forbidden, they have to be expressly allowed.

I didn't mean he tells the Pacers to pay Lance $35K of his own money. I mean he literally gives Lance the money. They may not allow somebody to pay in place of, but they have absolutely no say on what the players do with their money once the checks are issued. As somebody later noted, there could be taxes involved on the money, but it's not like these guys don't have their own personal accountants.

Naptown_Seth
02-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Naw. Last time he bumped Tyler into the starting lineup.

I'd imagine we see Ian starting, especially because we need that size protecting the rim against Charmin Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan.
Ian is too willing to reach on defense and would quickly get in foul trouble if he started against Blake and Jordan. I think you start Pendy because of his hops. His game is more in line with defending the primary Clips threat - the alley-oop. You don't need height for that, you need hops and reaction quickness.

Sure on offense he could go at them better, but West is going to take care of that.

You need Roy for just pure bodies on the court, but the Clips aren't a great matchup for him either except in how he could eliminate Chris Paul's at the rim game.

graphic-er
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
I can't believe Curry and Klay Thomspon only got a fine, that is the most ridiculous crap. These guys were going after Hibbert!

Naptown_Seth
02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Your right, So if the refs would have called a foul on Hibbert at the beginning,, then the play would have stopped and Lee wouldn't have thrown the Elbow into Hibbert's back. So, I claim bad refs caused it all by allowing it to escalate and the refs should get suspended. ;-)

There is a lot of truth to this statement actually. If you control the game fairly then players and fans will feel comfortable that they can count on the refs to deal out justice when it is needed. But if you let players get away with stuff, especially in a one-sided way, then people are going to start to feel cheated and lose respect for the "controls" (refs, rules) and start going rogue.

Just like I put on Twitter about the next foul after the scrum where it looked like Ian got jumped on but was the one called for the foul. At that point fans were starting to feel like the refs weren't handling things in a fair way.

Home fans always gripe about refs, some more than others, but as a group a typical crowd only gets into that really angry mode when the refs have let something go that really seems bad. Last night the crowd took that tone and it wasn't until the timeout when they announced Mathis being at the game that the crowd was "recovered".

What's frustrating is that while Violet was on the crew, the other two refs are pretty senior so I was more disappointed with them. Of course the NBA agrees with them and thinks that Curry and Klay weren't involved.

Cousy47
02-27-2013, 10:19 PM
That would be a good point if it was a four team battle royale. The Knicks and Clippers didn't get punished for the Pacers and Warriors getting in a fight. Stern's NBA!
No there would be no reason to punish the Knicks and Clippers, I agree. However, rewarding those 2 teams because of a "fight" between the Pacers and Warriors is just wrong, IMO. I think the punishment should fit the "crime" and the suspensions should come the next time these 2 teams play. The simple fact is there should not have been suspensions for shoving another player, IMO. No punches were thrown, no blood seemed to be shed and the 2 players who got suspended, had the very least to do with the melee that followed. Lee was trying to hold back his teammates and Roy was trying to get away from the Warrior guards.

Rogco
02-27-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm with naptown.

I really don't have a problem with Hibbert getting suspended. I think Lee got hosed, and Curry and Klay got off light. Those were the two that escalated the whole affair and pushed it into the stands. If Curry wasn't freakin tiny then I think he would have got in serious trouble. Still, it was awesome watching him fly off Hibbert.

Also don't know if it was mentioned, but I loved the way both teams reacted afterwards. Both continued with the game and at in the interviews were really calm and cool about it all. Usually I get pissed off at opposing teams after these sorts of incidents, but I have some respect for the Warriors, and Curry is one hell of a player.

aamcguy
02-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Here's the best headline for it I've seen yet. :laugh:

Roy Hibbert and David Lee Suspended for Kerfuffle in Indy (http://www.clipsnation.com/2013/2/27/4037336/roy-hibbert-and-david-lee-suspended-for-kerfuffle-in-indy)

Hicks
02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
For those wondering what Lance did, after I watched the replay again today, I noticed that he smacks a guy in the face with his open palm at one point. I believe Jarett Jack.

vincognito
02-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Jack shoves hibbert and then lance shoves jack in retaliation

PR07
02-27-2013, 11:37 PM
The NBA has gone soft. There really should be no suspensions issued here. Give hefty fines to Lee, Hibbert, and Curry and modest fines to Thompson, West, and Stephenson....call it a day.

Gamble1
02-27-2013, 11:37 PM
I think Lee should get suspended as well. It escalated because he shoved Hibbert up high as the shot went up. It bothers me that every game I have watched with Violet reffing there ends up that moment you wished she never touched a whistle in a NBA game.

IUfan4life
02-27-2013, 11:51 PM
So yeah, Steph Curry just dropped 54 with 7 assists too. Still lost though.

Brad8888
02-28-2013, 02:22 AM
It was no accident that Lance was bear hugged and forcibly guided away from Curry. He is fortunate that the assistant had the guts to bear hug him, which saved him from making a huge mistake, and is further fortunate that his fine wasn't more and that Roy is covering it. Roy is definitely showing team leadership with this move, and is owning what he did.

Roy actually probably has received the benefit of the doubt in only getting 1 game as a prominent player in the league with absolutely no history of bad behavior, and the suspension of Lee is basically a makeup call going the other way.

Pacerfan
02-28-2013, 02:29 AM
It was no accident that Lance was bear hugged and forcibly guided away from Curry. He is fortunate that the assistant had the guts to bear hug him, which saved him from making a huge mistake, and is further fortunate that his fine wasn't more and that Roy is covering it. Roy is definitely showing team leadership with this move, and is owning what he did.

Roy actually probably has received the benefit of the doubt in only getting 1 game as a prominent player in the league with absolutely no history of bad behavior, and the suspension of Lee is basically a makeup call going the other way.

They probably have had it planned all along that if there's a fight make sure Lance is accounted for. If not, go and grab him and get him out of there. His edge gives him an advantage on the court, but that same edge could lead to major problems if in the wrong situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar rule code for him as they had for Ron before he left after the brawl. I think this is a good idea. I don't think he would do something that crazy, but better not to take any chances.

Lance really has been great and a lot of it has to do with the team keeping him in line and him maturing. But this one instance when the team lost it's cool, he could have been in trouble. They were making sure they kept him out of trouble. Anyone realize he went in for Lance before anyone else (even Roy).

aamcguy
02-28-2013, 02:50 AM
They probably have had it planned all along that if there's a fight make sure Lance is accounted for. If not, go and grab him and get him out of there. His edge gives him an advantage on the court, but that same edge could lead to major problems if in the wrong situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar rule code for him as they had for Ron before he left after the brawl. I think this is a good idea. I don't think he would do something that crazy, but better not to take any chances.

Lance really has been great and a lot of it has to do with the team keeping him in line and him maturing. But this one instance when the team lost it's cool, he could have been in trouble. They were making sure they kept him out of trouble. Anyone realize he went in for Lance before anyone else (even Roy).

I don't think they do. The Pacers coaches were just trying to push all players away from the stands. The coach who bear hugged Lance was actually a golden state assistant. It's why West was prying him off as Lance was leaving the area.

Pacerfan
02-28-2013, 02:59 AM
I don't think they do. The Pacers coaches were just trying to push all players away from the stands. The coach who bear hugged Lance was actually a golden state assistant. It's why West was prying him off as Lance was leaving the area.

Didn't know he was a Golden State coach. Kinda glad he did grab him though.

Kstat
02-28-2013, 03:02 AM
Neither ATH nor PTI was kind to the Pacers today...didn't help them that Heat cheerleader Israel Guizierrez was on ATH still waving the "fake tough guys" flag that he's been waving since last summer. I think Jackie MacMullan was the only one that had anything remotely positive to say, at which point the other three guys burst into laughter (literally) when she implied the Pacers were relevant in the east.

The really odd thing is that Stephen Curry got universally praised for going after a 7'2" guy. That's hilariously backwards logic.

Heisenberg
02-28-2013, 03:13 AM
Neither ATH nor PTI was kind to the Pacers today...didn't help them that Heat cheerleader Israel Guizierrez was on ATH still waving the "Pacers are fake tough guys" flag that he's been waving since last summer. I think Jackie MacMullan was the only one that had anything remotely positive to say, at which point the other three guys burst into laughter (literally) when she implied the Pacers were relevant in the east.

Depends what you call kind I guess. Wilbon said we're the clear 2nd best team in the East and Kornheiser said yeah but there's Miami and then a big gap. I don't think anyone here would disagree if they took their blue and yellow glasses off.

Gutierrez is a troll, Plaschke hasn't seen a regular season game east of the Missisippi since 95 that didn't involve the Lakers, Woody Paige is a plagiarizer and his columns are still incredibly dumb. I don't mean to come off as defensive or whatever, but it's clear none of them knew what they were talking about. They kept talking about how the playoff series went last year acting like it's the exact same rosters or something which we know clearly isn't the case.

aamcguy
02-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Neither ATH nor PTI was kind to the Pacers today...didn't help them that Heat cheerleader Israel Guizierrez was on ATH still waving the "fake tough guys" flag that he's been waving since last summer. I think Jackie MacMullan was the only one that had anything remotely positive to say, at which point the other three guys burst into laughter (literally) when she implied the Pacers were relevant in the east.

The really odd thing is that Stephen Curry got universally praised for going after a 7'2" guy. That's hilariously backwards logic.

I don't get any sort of television service so I never watch ESPN...but wow. I didn't know that they actually had guys running the "fake tough" line. I guess I now know why you even have Pacer fans calling the team fake tough. Any team with the combination of defensive power and team record that the Pacers have don't do it by pretending to be tough.

aamcguy
02-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Didn't know he was a Golden State coach. Kinda glad he did grab him though.

I really have nothing against any coach grabbing any player as long as it's done intelligently. It was Pete Myers, Quinn even mentioned him.

Heisenberg
02-28-2013, 03:34 AM
I don't get any sort of television service so I never watch ESPN...but wow. I didn't know that they actually had guys running the "fake tough" line. I guess I now know why you even have Pacer fans calling the team fake tough. Any team with the combination of defensive power and team record that the Pacers have don't do it by pretending to be tough.Gutierrez was the only one that used the "fake tough" line. He owes his entire national presence to being the Heat beat reporter at the right time, he's an unabashed Heat shill.

Kstat
02-28-2013, 03:41 AM
Guiterrez's shining moment was to go on ESPN's Sports Reporters show in 2011 and say how fortunate the Dallas Mavericks were to face the Lakers in the second round, because "everyone knows they had zero chance of beating anyone else."

Nuntius
02-28-2013, 03:59 AM

I can understand that logic, kinda. A small guy going after a huge guy is going to be commented for bravery most of the time. It brings a David vs Goliath feel.

Of course, that has nothing to do with if Curry was right to go after Roy in the first place. That's an entirely different topic of discussion.

Peck
02-28-2013, 04:18 AM
I'm probably the only person alive who wants to meet Roy at the Fieldhouse and recreate this scene from Goodfellas. Go to 1:30 to start playing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CgggItUc6LQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

King Tuts Tomb
02-28-2013, 07:55 AM
"As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a Pacer..."