Trophy
02-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Who do you think is better?

Miller_time04
02-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Buckner.

MTM
02-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Buckner sounds like a bumbling cartoon character. Austin is surprisingly good with a steady tone and inflection. Nothing will ever top Baker and Clark for me though.

Dr. Awesome
02-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Buckner surprises me with how well he sees the game. He often calls fouls before the officials even do. He is very observant and good at not being biased really.

That being said, he can get REALLY annoying at times.

*astrisk*
02-27-2013, 12:53 AM
I know Buckner is well respected around the league, but he really is quite the buffoon. I think what irritates me most about him is his opinions on 50/50 plays and chippy stuff. He gets so clearly one-sided with his opinions and acts like there is no way he is wrong... Until he hears the refs talking about it near the scorers table, when he quickly 180's, and plays the "You know, now that I think about it..." Before it is officially announced. Just annoying. I do like Austin, but Denari is the best play-by-play guy I hear on my league pass... What an awesome guy

Heisenberg
02-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Quinn by a mile. Croshere's voice and cadence are hard to listen to for me, he's gotten leaps and bounds better though. Regardless, Denari makes them both infinitely better than they actually are. I'm honestly pretty surprised Denari hasn't been offered a national gig, he's really great.

King Tuts Tomb
02-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Buckner is one of the few color commentators in the league who can balance a colorful on air personality with the ability to break down the complexities of the game to the average fan. He's great at reading the flow of the game and even better at reading the body language and personality of the players.

Croshere is good but he sounds like ten other guys doing color commentary around the league. Quinn is pretty special.

PaceBalls
02-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Quinn offers much more insight into the game, he stumbles over his words sometimes, but his basketball knowledge is off the charts. He has his bad moments too, but I really like listening to him over Croshere.

Croshere is not a very good announcer. Next time he casts a game start counting how many times he says "I hate to sound like a broken record" or "I know I have said this before, but.." with little to no insight besides the obvious.

Bball
02-27-2013, 01:04 AM
If I was hiring a partner for a play by play guy then Croshere wins by a mile in this comparison. Buckner is more like the crazy old uncle that everyone likes because he's a fun-loving, good guy that you know as a family member... which is fine for the Pacer family. I think Croshere is technically better while also being likeable.

There's really two questions above... Who do I prefer as the color commentator?. That answer is 'either'. I like them both. But's that is as a long time Pacer fan. And IU too for that matter. OTOH, I wouldn't expect fans from another team hearing Quinn on League Pass would think he's necessarily good.

Then there is: Who do you think is better? If I'm grading them then Croshere is IMHO better (in a traditional sense) and wouldn't have fans from another team scratching their head and wondering how he got the job.

Day-V
02-27-2013, 01:08 AM
You guys don't like Quinn, but I love the guy. I think him and Denari make games really fun, yet imformative.

Austin's great, as well!

Sandman21
02-27-2013, 01:09 AM
You guys don't like Quinn, but I love the guy. I think him and Denari make games really fun, yet imformative.

Austin's great, as well!

This.

Heisenberg
02-27-2013, 01:14 AM
If I was hiring a partner for a play by play guy then Croshere wins by a mile in this comparison. Buckner is more like the crazy old uncle that everyone likes because he's a fun-loving, good guy... which is fine for the Pacer family. I think Croshere is technically better while also being likeable.

There's really two questions above... Who do I prefer as the color commentator?. That answer is 'either'. I like them both. But's that is as a long time Pacer fan. And IU too for that matter. OTOH, I wouldn't expect fans from another team hearing Quinn on League Pass would think he's necessarily good.

Then there is: Who do you think is better? If I'm grading them then Croshere is IMHO better (in a traditional sense) and wouldn't have fans from another team scratching their head and wondering how he got the job.
Lots of opposing fans who get the Indy feed through League Pass or other more nefarious methods in general are complimentary of our announcers. Warriors fans definitely were tonight.

Seriously, we have it really good.

Dr. Awesome
02-27-2013, 01:16 AM
I've always liked Walt Frazier from the Knicks, the guy cracks me up.

I HATE the Celtics announcers. I'd rather be locked in an interrogation room with Jack Bauer than one with them commentating on a game. I feel like my IQ drops just listening to them. Even Celtics fans talk about how they hate them for being so biased.

mattie
02-27-2013, 02:08 AM
I love Quinn. He does bring insight on occasion, he truly makes me laugh from time to time.. he's just great.

As has been said, Austin has made huge improvements. I used to not like listening to him, but I don't mind him now. I think it just takes time to get used to being a color man. He's starting to find his groove a bit I think.

Between the two, I'd take Quinn though. When he laughs, I can't stop laughing. I don't know why. It's hilarious. Even though it was Hill tonight getting embarrassed when Quinn sort of lost it when Stephen Curry did his crazy crossover I couldn't stop laughing. Awesome call.

Edit - Oh and of course Denari is just the best in the biz. Cannot believe he doesn't have a bigger gig yet. He'll get one. He's a pro.

ksuttonjr76
02-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Can I get some fries with that shake!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

pogi
02-27-2013, 06:54 AM
I picked Quinn, mostly, because he talks about intricacies that aren't apparent even to those of us that watch alot of basketball. For instance, he'll say...."he likes to dribble to his left alot. We need to make him go to his right." Or, "If he leads with his right foot, he's gonna take it to the rim. If he leads with his left, he'll pump-fake to clear space for a jumper."

Steagles
02-27-2013, 06:56 AM
QB. I like Crow, too, though.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

pathil275
02-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Buckner tends to over-analyze plays which is an annoying habit. Croshere is so-so but he doesn't strike me as annoying. I liked Clark a lot. And let's be honest, compared to 90% of the other broadcasting clowns out there we are pretty fortunate with our guys.

D-BONE
02-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Quinn strengths: insight, but doesn't over analyze every second of the game, humor, relatively objective (vis a vis opponents point of view)

Quinn cons: stumble - bumble delivery at times

Austin strengths: has improved greatly, good analysis of technical aspects of game, relatively objective

Austin cons: can get monotone at times, has tendency to over talk and over analyze

Overall matchup: I give it to Quinn. You get insight, humor, a better variety/flow of delivery, intonation, tone (serious, light, funny, etc). With Austin it's like he's constantly talking and it's all serious and technical, sometimes he's talking over Denari or running on when the play by play needs to get back in.

In other words, I think Austin comments too much and doesn't offer the same variety of tone. Several radio/TV teachers/mentors remarked to me on more than one occasion that the announcers can talk too much and/or be too distracting to the viewer/listener. Of course, there's a lot left to personal preference in that, but that's how Austin's cons strike me.

P.S. - Don't work in these fields, but I do have training, which is where the comment comes from.

P.S.S. - Talk about being a loner in likes/dislikes, but as much as I enjoyed Bake, Al Alberts is still my preferred TV announcer. Kind of like have Marv Albert (in his prime) light.

QuickRelease
02-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Jerry Baker

Leroy Staley
02-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Meh. I don't think either is probably very good on a national scale. Quinn bumbles his words and (in my opnion) really doesn't provide that much insight into the game. I like him though, and enjoy laughing along with him. So I actually prefer him to Cro right now.

Cro is just new. He has potential, but is going through growng pains, and hasn't found his catch phrases (hey, partner).

I liked Clark better than both, but he also had serious growing pains early.

But they are Indiana guys, good guys, know the team, and try hard. So I like both on most levels. They are family.

Denari is obviously solid.

5_7_Clash
02-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Smothered chicken! QB, baby!

Unclebuck
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Depends what type of game we are having. If it is a blowout or boring game, Quinn is better because he can often be very funny. If it is a really exciting game, sometimes I like Cro better because he's a "better talker"

Overall though I think they are both pretty good, can be objective.

Mackey_Rose
02-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Amazingly, no Pacer has ever actually fouled an opposing player, in any game that Quinn Buckner is doing the color commentary.

It's remarkable.

McDunken
02-27-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't usually listen to the game with the volume on because I usually watch it with other people and we usually talk more than listen to the commentary. However if I would have to choose one, I'd probably go with Quinn just because he can make me laugh when I actually have the volume up.

King Tuts Tomb
02-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Amazingly, no Pacer has ever actually fouled an opposing player, in any game that Quinn Buckner is doing the color commentary.

It's remarkable.

Is the true? I feel like Quinn does the "Yep, Mahinmi got him right on the arm there partner" a lot, at least more than most home announcers.

vnzla81
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
I used to like Quinn but he is going overboard with his mancrushes making him annoying, I rather listen to Croshere.

Unclebuck
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
I think Quinn tends to be a homer in his immediate response, but then when he sees the replay or stops for a second he is usually very objective. In fact in a recent game I thought he was wrong when he said the call that went against the pacers was correct.

Ragnar
02-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Having been a league pass subscriber all the way back to primestar days (as in staying up late to watch Lloyd Daniels play for the Lakers long ago) I can say we are very lucky to have Quin and Chris. Boston and New Yorks are the worst but lots of other teams have bad announcers. Quin is by far the most objective color commentator in the entire league. On top of that he actually knows things about the game that none of the other color guys get. I would pick Quinn over Cro but I like Cro as a stand in, My wife and I laughed like crazy when he talked about his first child being born and him learning to enjoy road games more!!

Day-V
02-27-2013, 09:29 AM

It's remarkable.

Wow. I'll just have to say I disagree with that one.

I think Quinn tends to be a homer in his immediate response, but then when he sees the replay or stops for a second he is usually very objective. In fact in a recent game I thought he was wrong when he said the call that went against the pacers was correct.

This is pretty much the case. I've also heard what KTT mentioned above, many times Quinn will say "Oh no, that's a foul, partner. Roy brought the arms down." Hell, I hear him many times say something along the lines of "Ohhh, the Pacers were fortunate not to get called for one there, partner."

King Tuts Tomb
02-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Going with what Buck said about Quinn's initial burst of homerism, one of my favorite Buckner-isms is the split second after the ball is tipped out of bounds when it's near impossible to determine who touched it last, Quinn will yell "Oh that's Pacer ball!"

Kid Minneapolis
02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I think Croshere is the better long-term prospect. He's been doing this for way less time and he's already pretty good. He's made huge strides since he first came on-air with the Pacers a few years ago... he was rough to listen to. He's improved a ton. Buckner has been doing this forever, and he is what he is --- sometimes knowledgeable, other times incorrect, a little bit goofy.

Pacer Fan
02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
I like and dislike them both. I'm not going to point out obvious flaws here. I'd like to see them rotate games every other one. Both get me agitated.

But having to choose as who do you keep. I'd have to choose Austin, plus he is getting better and has more upside.

naptownmenace
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Buckner sounds like a bumbling cartoon character. Austin is surprisingly good with a steady tone and inflection. Nothing will ever top Baker and Clark for me though.

I agree with everything you said.

Buckner drives me crazy every time he says, "What you have to realize is...". He says it so much that if you used it as a drinking game, you'd be slobber-knackered by halftime.

The only flaw I notice with Austin is that he sometimes goes on talking too long and in general talks too much.

Coopdog23
02-27-2013, 10:30 AM
I like both of them and like how Fox is using both of them

Mackey_Rose
02-27-2013, 10:31 AM
I miss Clark Kellogg.

Since86
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Is the true?

No.

Since86
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't care that Quinn stumbles all over himself. The way he laughs it off and continues on makes it that much better.

I feel like Quinn usually gives the benefit of the doubt to the officials, regardless of which way they make the call. For supposedly being a homer, he sure doesn't take advantage of some pretty big opportunities to be homerish.

LetsTalkPacers84
02-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Clark

Unclebuck
02-27-2013, 10:37 AM
I like both of them and like how Fox is using both of them

I thought Quinn did every pacers game he was available. Only games he misses are those where he has to do a college game. Am I wrong? In other words, Quinn is the guy and Cro only steps in when Quinn is unavailable.

Coopdog23
02-27-2013, 10:38 AM
I thought Quinn did every pacers game he was available. Only games he misses are those where he has to do a college game. Am I wrong? In other words, Quinn is the guy and Cro only steps in when Quinn is unavailable.

Yeah but Fox has Cro on post game and Cro does radio for the road games

Eleazar
02-27-2013, 10:51 AM
I prefer Quinn, he is just the more interesting character. Austin also has a tendency to get stuck on a theme for the game. In other words he has broken record syndrome.

BillS
02-27-2013, 11:16 AM
All you have to do is watch one Tommy Heinsohn game and you'll never think of anyone else as a homer commentator again.

Doddage
02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
While our announce team is definitely pro-Pacers, I believe it's still one of the more balanced commentary teams in the league.

Unclebuck
02-27-2013, 11:32 AM
All you have to do is watch one Tommy Heinsohn game and you'll never think of anyone else as a homer commentator again.

I think he has gotten worse as he has aged. But isn't it hard to believe he was at one time CBS' lead commendator. I always wondered why the laker fans hated him. I never thought he was really biased back then, but also didn't think he was very good.

Millertime3131
02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I would have to go wit Quinn. To many times Cro makes excuses for pacers players and always seems to be bias on calls . I love Quinn's honesty to call it like he sees it. I love when he says Roy has to go stronger than that or we have to finish on 3-1 fast breaks. Cro always seems not to want to cross a line with critiquing any pacers. Also I played ball of course not on the level of Cro and Quinn but Quinn has more understanding of the game." Would you like some fries with that shake". Still lol..

ChicagoJ
02-27-2013, 12:56 PM
No, Tommy has always been that bad. He's the absolute worst. Red Kerr was close.

If my only choice on a Pacers-Celtics game is the Celtics feed, I'll just read the recap tomorrow.

I strongly disagree with the entire premise of this thread, however, and shame on most of you for not simulcasting with Mark and Slick for home games.

(Admittedly, Slick is a total homer with the refs, but the difference between Slick and Tommy/Red Kerr is that Slick is not a homer in his assessment of the team. If they're bad, he won't sugarcoat it.)

PR07
02-27-2013, 12:57 PM
I prefer Quinn, but I think Austin has gotten better.

Austin is a little too mundane to me, whereas I feel Quinn is a bit more charismatic.

Since86
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
I strongly disagree with the entire premise of this thread, however, and shame on most of you for not simulcasting with Mark and Slick for home games.

I don't know about anyone else, but the radio feeds I get with my phone get blacked out when the game comes on. Can't listen to regular radio, because none of it reaches Muncie. 107.5 having the games helps, but it's pretty fuzzy by the time I hit the Daleville exit, and it's really bad by the time I get in Muncie.

Something needs to get figured out with all of that, because it's pretty frustrating.

Eddie Gill
02-27-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm pretty pleased with the mix this season - a pretty ideal balance between Croshere and Buckner.

McKeyFan
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
For me, Quinn is one of the most irritating announcers ever. I find him to be presumptuous and condescending and not very smart basketball wise. I generally watch the other broadcast on Directv to avoid Quinn.

That said, others, even a majority, have a different opinion. And I can respect that.

I love Denari. Croshere is tolerable.

Trophy
02-27-2013, 01:19 PM
It's really a toss up for me, but I prefer Croshere, overall.

QB, when I've met him, couldn't be a nicer person. He's willing to say hello, talk for a bit during halftime. He's a smart guy. He knows basketball from the inside out. At times I think he'll talk a little too much and try and overpower Denari and berate him and the audience.

Cro I think does a better job. While he comes across as a little dry, he calls the game like it should. He doesn't go overboard with the calls for the Pacers or against the Pacers. He does have a sense of humor.

Nonetheless, both QB and Cro do a much better job than most announcers do.

Unclebuck
02-27-2013, 01:54 PM
QB. At times I think he'll talk a little too much and try and overpower Denari and berate him and the audience.

Berate? Here is the definition. to scold somebody vigorously and at length
. Is that what you really mean?

Coopdog23
02-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Berate? Here is the definition. to scold somebody vigorously and at length
. Is that what you really mean?

Don't think Denari will ever be angry with them

Coopdog23
02-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah, that is what I meant.

Why do you mean that?

Unclebuck
02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
I think Quinn and Chris have a great relationship - at least on air. That is probably the best part of their broadcasts, is their on air chemistry. Clark and Al Albert, they always seemed to butt heads - no chemistry there at all.

Coopdog23
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
I think Quinn and Chris have a great relationship - at least on air. That is probably the best part of their broadcasts, is their on air chemistry. Clark and Al Albert, they always seemed to butt heads - no chemistry there at all.

Slick and Jerry Baker? Good or bad chemistry?

Mac_Daddy
02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
I like Quinn's bumbling and I like his chemistry with Denari better than Croshere's. Not that Croshere is bad; he's been doing fairly well. I dislike his voice, though.

Coopdog23
02-27-2013, 02:15 PM
I like Quinn's bumbling and I like his chemistry with Denari better than Croshere's. Not that Croshere is bad; he's been doing fairly well. I dislike his voice, though.

He talks like he's yelling but he's not

Trophy
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Why do you mean that?

He doesn't do in a nasty way, but it seems he'll be overpowering in what Denari will say and likes to make it seem like he knows it all. Maybe it's just me because Denari laughs it off.

Don't get me wrong, I like Quinn. He does know his stuff.

Coopdog23
02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
He doesn't do in a nasty way, but it seems he'll be overpowering in what Denari will say and likes to make it seem like he knows it all. Maybe it's just me because Denari laughs it off.

Don't get me wrong, I like Quinn. He does know his stuff.

I think he likes when Quinn talks a lot. I'm sure he doesn't mind

Trophy
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM

I definitely think they have nice chemistry. They definitely enjoy calling games with each other and they've done it for so long.

Same with Chris and Austin. They haven't done games together for as long as Chris and Quinn have, but they both seem have nice chemistry as well.

bshall
02-27-2013, 08:02 PM
I think Croshere seems like a guy that went to school for broadcasting, does the basics of the job, but doesn't really bring a whole lot else to the table. With Quinn he is not your typical analyst but he brings humor and a lot of really cool stories.

I prefer the fun broadcaster more than the technically sound guy. #QB4LIFE

QuickRelease
02-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Slick and Jerry Baker? Good or bad chemistry?Great!

joew8302
02-27-2013, 09:06 PM
On the whole I think the Pacers have it very good. Cro is very informative and Quinn has great insight and personality. Denari is just a pros' pro.

As far as other guys like like to listen to:
Dell Curry-Bobcats
Phil Chanier (sp?) Wizards
Walt Frazier- Knicks

Some of the worst:
Jim Barnett- Warriors (WAYYY too biased)
Heinshon- as mentioned before, annoying and biased
Fred Mcleod/Austin Carr- Cleveland: atrocious to listen to, often slow

PacersPride
02-27-2013, 10:50 PM
we should start a Stacy or Brooke thread!

i gotta give Stacey my vote. whats she up to these days anyway?

Cactus Jax
02-27-2013, 11:37 PM
If I had to pick between Cro and Quinn, I'd pick Croshere by a slim margin, but as UB said, it kind of depends on the game.

Denari and Clark was a special team, unfortunate they were only together for a short period of time. Denari could easily get a national job though, but I hope the Pacers pay him good money to stay.

ChicagoJ
02-28-2013, 12:30 AM
and not very smart basketball wise.

Quinn?

I can get not liking his style.

But not very smart basketball wise?

unreal.

While Buckner was a failure with the Mavericks, it was mostly a matter of style that didn't endear him to professional players, but as Knight told the Trib...

March 7, 1993
Bob Knight, who still uses Quinn Buckner as an example of leadership at Indiana, predicts the newly named Dallas Mavericks coach will succeed in turning around the struggling NBA team. But he's not quite sure why Buckner wants to do it. "I hope he got paid a lot. And I hope he has a four- or five-year contract," Knight said of his former player, hired Thursday as the Mavericks' coach beginning next season. "I always thought he was far too intelligent to coach, but I think it's a real challenge for him. The great part of it is that he's taken over a team that when he does something with it-and he will do something with it-it'll have his mark on it. "And I think that's a great thing for a young guy in coaching," Knight said.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-03-07/sports/9303188427_1_quinn-buckner-bob-knight-hope

Or this gem from 1986:

KNIGHT RIPS PACERS
Never was heard a discouraging word from Quinn Buckner, who was put on waivers this week by the Indiana Pacers.
And what did Buckner`s former college coach at Indiana University, Bob Knight, think of the move?
``It`s really a shame to have a professional team in this state that`s handled as incompetently as that one is,`` fumed Knight.
Buckner, a 10-year NBA veteran, was waived to make room for Clark Kellogg, the Pacers` leading scorer and rebounder, who had been on injured reserve for six weeks. Buckner, acquired from the Boston Celtics, was averaging 3.7 points a game.
Pacers` coach George Irvine said Buckner ``fulfilled some of the leadership qualities, but one of the main problems with having Quinn on the team is his biggest weakness is outside shooting, and our biggest weakness is outside shooting.``
But Knight said some of the Celtics` players ``have told me how valuable he (Buckner) was to them. These people up there (in Indianapolis) just don`t know enough about the game to know how to utilize the guy.
``I read some of the garbage that goes on up there, both from the people who write who don`t know anything to people involved with the team who don`t know anything.
``It`s a shame for a state that`s as good in basketball as this one is to have a team in professional basketball in the hands of and surrounded by people who don`t know anything about it except for (consultant) Wayne Embry.`` Pacer president Bob Salyers and Embry refused comment on Knight`s criticism.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-01-17/sports/8601050249_1_super-bowl-all-american-bowl-clark-kellogg
(http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-01-17/sports/8601050249_1_super-bowl-all-american-bowl-clark-kellogg)
But if you don't want to hear it from Knight, how 'bout Phil Jackson?

RICHFIELD, Ohio — The firing of Quinn Buckner on Tuesday, while not a shock to Bulls coach Phil Jackson, was somewhat disturbing just the same.
"I think most people in the NBA feel that Quinn, although he hasn't gone through the elements of coaching from ground level to get to head coach, had the kind of knowledge and intellect it would take to be a good coach," Jackson said.

Jackson said first-year NBA coaches with no previous experience like Buckner should not be discounted so easily.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-05-04/sports/9405040214_1_quinn-buckner-playoff-type-bulls

McKeyFan
02-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Quinn?

I can get not liking his style.

But not very smart basketball wise?

unreal.

While Buckner was a failure with the Mavericks, it was mostly a matter of style that didn't endear him to professional players, but as Knight told the Trib...

March 7, 1993
Bob Knight, who still uses Quinn Buckner as an example of leadership at Indiana, predicts the newly named Dallas Mavericks coach will succeed in turning around the struggling NBA team. But he's not quite sure why Buckner wants to do it. "I hope he got paid a lot. And I hope he has a four- or five-year contract," Knight said of his former player, hired Thursday as the Mavericks' coach beginning next season. "I always thought he was far too intelligent to coach, but I think it's a real challenge for him. The great part of it is that he's taken over a team that when he does something with it-and he will do something with it-it'll have his mark on it. "And I think that's a great thing for a young guy in coaching," Knight said.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-03-07/sports/9303188427_1_quinn-buckner-bob-knight-hope

Or this gem from 1986:

KNIGHT RIPS PACERS
Never was heard a discouraging word from Quinn Buckner, who was put on waivers this week by the Indiana Pacers.
And what did Buckner`s former college coach at Indiana University, Bob Knight, think of the move?
``It`s really a shame to have a professional team in this state that`s handled as incompetently as that one is,`` fumed Knight.
Buckner, a 10-year NBA veteran, was waived to make room for Clark Kellogg, the Pacers` leading scorer and rebounder, who had been on injured reserve for six weeks. Buckner, acquired from the Boston Celtics, was averaging 3.7 points a game.
Pacers` coach George Irvine said Buckner ``fulfilled some of the leadership qualities, but one of the main problems with having Quinn on the team is his biggest weakness is outside shooting, and our biggest weakness is outside shooting.``
But Knight said some of the Celtics` players ``have told me how valuable he (Buckner) was to them. These people up there (in Indianapolis) just don`t know enough about the game to know how to utilize the guy.
``I read some of the garbage that goes on up there, both from the people who write who don`t know anything to people involved with the team who don`t know anything.
``It`s a shame for a state that`s as good in basketball as this one is to have a team in professional basketball in the hands of and surrounded by people who don`t know anything about it except for (consultant) Wayne Embry.`` Pacer president Bob Salyers and Embry refused comment on Knight`s criticism.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-01-17/sports/8601050249_1_super-bowl-all-american-bowl-clark-kellogg
(http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-01-17/sports/8601050249_1_super-bowl-all-american-bowl-clark-kellogg)
But if you don't want to hear it from Knight, how 'bout Phil Jackson?

RICHFIELD, Ohio — The firing of Quinn Buckner on Tuesday, while not a shock to Bulls coach Phil Jackson, was somewhat disturbing just the same.
"I think most people in the NBA feel that Quinn, although he hasn't gone through the elements of coaching from ground level to get to head coach, had the kind of knowledge and intellect it would take to be a good coach," Jackson said.

Jackson said first-year NBA coaches with no previous experience like Buckner should not be discounted so easily.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-05-04/sports/9405040214_1_quinn-buckner-playoff-type-bulls
I hear ya. I'm just calling it like I see it.

I've learned more basketball from Croshere this year than I did from Quinn in five years.

QuickRelease
02-28-2013, 07:57 AM
and shame on most of you for not simulcasting with Mark and Slick for home games.
It really is the only way to watch a Pacers game. TV sound down, and bump the Boom Baby crew up to full blast on the nearest radio.

King Tuts Tomb
02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
I hear ya. I'm just calling it like I see it.

I've learned more basketball from Croshere this year than I did from Quinn in five years.

Croshere definitely pays more attention to pointing out and explaining play calls and cuts and screens. I admittedly don't know a ton about the tactical side of the game so it's fun to hear that stuff.

What I love about Quinn, though, is he has such a deep knowledge of the psychological and emotional side of basketball, which is a skill very view announcers have. The way he calls a game is really narrative and personal and unique.

Johanvil
02-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Bob Lamey:D

Quinn cause he makes me laugh sometimes. Not a knock on him, he knows his stuff but sometimes he states the obvious and can't help but laugh. Like that moment this season( someone posted it on here):
Denari: Why did the Pacers lose tonight, Quinn?
Buckner: Well... they lost cause they were outscored.:laugh:

Rogco
02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
I love Quinn. He get's really excited and is just fun to listen too. His laugh is like a basketball Santa, and he's got some homer and pacer love in him. Also, he's got no time for soft play.

Austin is ok. I think he's pretty good, but I really don't like his voice, and he reminds me of Jaws from the old James Bond films

HC
02-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I like both and don't really have a preference. I will say that Austin can be hard to understand sometimes, but he is really good I think. On the other hand, Quinn seems to always have an excuse for the players when they do something wrong rather than just saying they made a bad play. I'm super duper thankful we don't have to listen to someone like Stacy King though.

skyfire
02-28-2013, 03:38 PM
I like them both, but I wish that Quinn would just dial it back a touch when the Pacers make a great play, he is so over the top.

I find Dominique Wilkins when he is the 2nd announcer for the Hawks another really blatant homer.
The Cavs guy is also very annoying with all his stupid sayings.

Richard_Skull
02-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Clark Kellogg is the best commentator I've ever enjoyed (for the Pacers and in general) , followed by Bill Walton. But, out of our two, Buckner hands down. Once I got over my fandom for Croshere, I started to realize how bad he actually is. He never really adds anything, either basketball-wise or comedic value wise.