PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Rodman goes to North Korea as a basketball ambassador

Basketball Fan
02-26-2013, 06:45 PM
There are so many things baffling about this sentence...

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/rodman-being-basketball-ambassador-to-north-korea-barely-makes-his-craziest-top-10/

10. Dennis Rodman goes to North Korea as a basketball ambassador. Rodman in a country testing nuclear weapon missiles, I donít see what could possibly go wrong. This is happening right now, in 2013, as Rodman is there with three Harlem Globetrotters as basketball ambassadors. The idea is to break down barriers by having Rodman teach basketball clinics and play some pick-up games with the North Koreans. All for a Vice Media production to air on HBO in early April. Again, I canít imagine this going poorly.

Kstat
02-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Nothing strange about this to me. Good for Dennis.

pumpk35
02-26-2013, 07:13 PM
WHAT????? He's gonna start a war! LMAO!

Kstat
02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Dennis is a big kid. He's one of the most friendly nba players you could meet away from the court. In an odd way, he might be one of my first choices to send to North Korea.

idioteque
02-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Apparently their leadership are big NBA fans. No, I'm not kidding.

dal9
02-27-2013, 12:09 AM
In an odd way, he might be one of my first choices to send to North Korea.

Like for how long?

cdash
02-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Dennis is a big kid. He's one of the most friendly nba players you could meet away from the court. In an odd way, he might be one of my first choices to send to North Korea.

Yes, because we want borderline insane alcoholics being the ambassadors to unfriendly countries with nuclear arsenals.

mattie
02-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Dennis Rodman is one of the coolest dudes ever. Awesome dude. Little weird. but just an awesome guy. Sweet that he's doing this.

ilive4sports
02-27-2013, 12:31 AM
its just funny.

Sandman21
02-27-2013, 01:15 AM
I have this bad feeling that he ain't gonna be allowed to come back from North Korea...

In 10 years, we'll be reading about how Dennis was forced at gunpoint to become the commissioner of the North Korean Basketball League.....

Dr. Awesome
02-27-2013, 02:24 AM

Friendly or not, he is an alcoholic that can go off at any moment. Did anyone see him on The Apprentice(I kid I kid, who watches that), but seriously, the dude was not right. He has a screw loose.

King Tuts Tomb
02-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Vice makes excellent documentaries so this could be great. My favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8

Heisenberg
02-27-2013, 02:33 AM
Apparently their leadership are big NBA fans. No, I'm not kidding.

Kim Jong Un went to primary school somewhere, wanna say Switzerland, and apparently wore Jordan jerseys like every day. Not kidding either.

Basketball Fan
03-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Video link inside

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/dennis-rodman-kim-jong-un-wants-president-obama-to-call-him/

I'd post the rest of the article but I didn't want to turn this into a political thread

5_7_Clash
03-03-2013, 01:34 PM
They should've sent Jeff Foster instead.

:dance: HEY OH!! :dance:

idioteque
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Vice makes excellent documentaries so this could be great. My favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8

The Liberia one with the seven year old kid high on heroin is probably the craziest I've seen.

vapacersfan
03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Rodman is getting torn a new one for this visit.

I will not post more for fear of this thread getting shut down, but SMH. Wow is all I could muster after I saw his interview.

Kstat
03-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Wow, amazing that roman couldn't show more that as a US diplomat...oh wait...

Are we really going to skewer Dennis Rodman for not being more informed on world politics? The fact that he managed to go to North Korea and leave on friendly terms isn't enough? Is him going there somehow an endorsement of their government policies?

Mackey_Rose
03-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Nothing strange about this to me. Good for Dennis.

Nothing is strange about this? Nothing? Really?

Everything is strange about this!

Also, I'm sorry, but I will not commend Rodman for saying glowing things about the leader of one of the most egregious human rights violating regimes in the world, who also has just recently (last week?) expressed his desire to obliterate the United States of America. I should probably correct myself, maybe "strange" is not the right word to use. Awful would be more appropriate.

Mackey_Rose
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Are we really going to skewer Dennis Rodman for not being more informed on world politics? The fact that he managed to go to North Korea and leave on friendly terms isn't enough? Is him going there somehow an endorsement of their government policies?

Rodman said about Kim, "I love him. He's awesome." Also not wanting to disappoint Kim's predecessors somewhere hopefully in the darkest depths of hell, Rodman also said, “his grandfather and his father were great leaders.”

Is that not an endorsement of people who have essentially murdered untold millions of their own people?

It's just a complete and total lack of awareness. Disgusting really. So yes, I think he's being deservedly skewered.

Trader Joe
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Dennis Rodman secretly trains to become a nuclear scientist, plotting to overthrow the USA.

Probably not as unlikely as it sounds.

Pacemaker
03-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Dennis Rodman is a nuclear-proof.

vnzla81
03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't see the big deal.

vapacersfan
03-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Yes. It is. And yes, i really am.

For cripes sakes the guy compared tem killing people to Clinton getting a BJ in the WH.

But hey, he and te globetrotters left on friendly terms so all is well :rolleyes

vapacersfan
03-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't see the big deal.

Watch the interview.

I love when Rodman says "you dont know him like I do" in teply to the question of people who go missing and the hitsquads

Deadshot
03-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't think anyone ever expected Rodman to unite the two countries. Its an interesting story about how the love of basketball can in some cases transcend personal and ideological differences. As silly as it sounds, it might be a good starting point for conversation, that both Kim Un and Obama love basketball (as Rodman suggested). I see nothing wrong with the visit and I think it speaks well for the sport. And who knows what kind of doors it might open.

Mackey_Rose
03-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't think anyone ever expected Rodman to unite the two countries. Its an interesting story about how the love of basketball can in some cases transcend personal and ideological differences. As silly as it sounds, it might be a good starting point for conversation, that both Kim Un and Obama love basketball (as Rodman suggested). I see nothing wrong with the visit and I think it speaks well for the sport. And who knows what kind of doors it might open.

Until Kim shows more interest in not causing the starvation, torture, and death of his own people, while publicly advocating for the destruction of the USA, I don't give a **** if he and Obama both like hoops.

rabid
03-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Until Kim shows more interest in not causing the starvation, torture, and death of his own people, while publicly advocating for the destruction of the USA, I don't give a **** if he and Obama both like hoops.

Which is why you'll never be a U.S. diplomat.