PDA

View Full Version : How long will Legends 3 Year Plan allow this team to compete for a Title

PacersPride
02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
I like many pacer fans am enjoying the teams current success. However, I would like to discuss the outlook for this team long term. Going farther than 5 years is out is probably a bad idea. But basically, how good can this team be and for how long?
Many here and elsewhere were very critical of the 3 year plan that Larry Legend had in place. It’s the main reason I created a post right after Obrien had been fired with a declaration that Larry Legend would win Executive of the Year (had no idea it would be so soon). Many were down on re-signing Obrien, which I don’t understand since no one worthy of replacing Obrien would have been willing to coach the team the offseason Obrien was extended. I boldly claimed that Legend’s 3 year plan would net this team an average of 50 wins over 5 seasons. At the time many on here thought I had lost my mind.

Unlike many of the so-called experts who were very critical of Larry Legend here and elsewhere; I on the other hand humbly took a look at the long term and what Larry Legend was building.
We got lucky to some degree acquiring David “BAMF” West. I don’t think that would have been possible without Legend in the FO.

2 seasons ago after the firing of Obrien I posted that Legend would win EXEC of the YEAR (complete) and that his 3 year plan would lead to an average of 50 wins over 5 seasons (TBD).
Regardless of the EXEC of the YEAR Award which I bet Legend doesn’t really care two hoots about. Can this team win 50 games on average for the next 5 seasons? Many on here (would have to pull post) said I had lost my mind. And that it was nearly impossible for a team to complete such a difficult task. In fact, very few teams ever achieve this mark. The Spurs I believe are one, and I know the 94-03 Indiana Pacers as well averaged 50 wins for over 5+ seasons.

Can this current Pacers team do the same.? And if so, how long can this team compete. PACERNATION I do not believe this team has peaked. I know salarly structure etc may become an issue. But the teams’ core intact should give this Franchise the opportunity for an NBA CHAMPIONSHIP.
With that said: How long can this team compete for a Title.

I believe these players are apart of the core and going nowhere:

George Hill
Paul George
Roy Hibbert
David West – He will be re-signed
Iain Mahinmi – reasonable 4 year contract for a backup PF/C

These players I hope to see become apart of the core:

Danny Granger – not sure about the knee but it will affect his market value
Lance Stephenson – we need to re-sign this kid to a deal comparable to George Hill at some point. Not anytime soon, he still has maturity issues but if he continues to improve he is going to become a very good starter in this league.

These 7 players are the core (* Danny)
Granted Paul George will get paid but he is also blossoming into a player whose # same day may be retired at the Fieldhouse.

Key Role players:
Tyler Hansbrough – I believe every championship caliber team should have a Tyler Hansbrough
Orlando “Pulp” Johnson – cant help but like this kid, and he looks like a legit player off the bench. Great 2nd round pick.
Plumlee – who knows.

Not part of the core:
Augustin, Greene, Pendergraph (though he is a nice 12th man off the bench).

Point is:
I realize Miami is the team favored in the East and will continue to be for some time. However, Paul George and Hibbert still have room to improve. West is well a … BAMF with likely 3-4 very solid seasons still remaining. Hill is solid.

I have a strong conviction that a new era of Pacers Basketball is about to begin that will potentially rival the dominance of the 94-03 Indiana Pacers.

I would like to add I believe Frank Vogel is going to become one helluva a coach for this team and is already making his mark in the league.

The 3 year plan Larry Legend asked fans to be patient with is now in full effect and I believe the end result will be a BANNER hanging from the rafters of the Fieldhouse.

Not only has Larry Legend given PacerNation a team they can be proud of.. he may indirectly saved this state its NBA Franchise in the process. I truly believe with a solid deep run this postseason Pacer basketball will be back. The fans are already starting to attend more games.

We have Larry Legend to thank for all of this. Ten years from now when this team has won an NBA Finals and the Fieldhouse is rocking I hope we all can look up to the rafters and right next to the NBA Banner see a banner for Larry Legend who is the only Coach at this time to lead this Franchise to the Finals and the GM who led this team out of the dark ages and possibly even saved the Pacers for the state of Indiana.

With all that said:

How good can this team become and for how long? Is this a one year fluke or do you expect the Blue & Gold to compete for a championship for the next 5 seasons?

Steagles
02-26-2013, 03:52 PM
It depends on if we spend our money judiciously or not in the next few off seasons.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

TheDon
02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
My biggest concern about the team is finances and how far Simon is willing to open up his pocketbook to keep this team together. I also think that that will mainly depend on how willing the fanbase is to cough up their money to come see this team play games. I just don't want to end up like the Hawks or the Grizzlies have a pretty solid 3 year window or so have to pay a bunch of money to our players and then eventually have to part with them so that we can stay uner the LT threshold, that to me would be the most depressing outcome for this team in the long run.

Sparhawk
02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
I would hope Lance wouldn't be given $8M/yr.

I think the Pacers should give Lance an Ian type contract. $4M/yr for the next 4 years.

Hicks
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
I have to know where David West will be playing in 6 months to begin to guess at how we'll do the next few years.

spazzxb
02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Where were you JOBs last year as coach? Didn't have many people on my side supporting Larry back then.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sollozzo
02-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Where were you JOBs last year as coach? Didn't have many people on my side supporting Larry back then.

I was immediately on board with Bird in 08 after Walsh left. The JO trade was a great move. I loved the Murphy for DC trade, as well as the drafting of Paul George in 2010. The decision not to fire O'Brien sooner was impossible to defend, but Bird made up for it with the excellent additions of George Hill and David West. Bird's overall body of work from 2008-2012 is nothing short of excellent.

able
02-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Please show me oh mighty oracle, where you made all these predictions I clearly missed the previous years and while at it how many years this 3 years plan took, Oh yeah all the Plumlee picks are not Larry's, he never made a bad draft in his life.

Chill out, we have a great team, which half of the posters are already tearing up because Granger is useless anyway, but ok, IF we can somehow pay for all the max-contracts you are perceiving in our future without hitting the luxury tax like the Lakers, or the Knickerbockers than we are set for 5 - 8 years, reality tells us that there is something like the luxury tax and we can't afford all those contracts.

able
02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
I was immediately on board with Bird in 08 after Walsh left. The JO trade was a great move. I loved the Murphy for DC trade, as well as the drafting of Paul George in 2010. The decision not to fire O'Brien sooner was impossible to defend, but Bird made up for it with the excellent additions of George Hill and David West. Bird's overall body of work from 2008-2012 is nothing short of excellent.

You trying to tell me Bird started working for this franchise as President of Basketball Operations or better, in 2008 ??

Sookie
02-26-2013, 05:11 PM
We can compete so long as Hill, Granger, Hibbert, George, and West are the starting lineup. And with Granger and West, I'd say 3 to 4 years.

It would be nice to keep Lance and Ian, but IMO they aren't necessary to compete for a title, so long as we spend the money available for the bench wisely. (Like..not on Green.)

Sollozzo
02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
You trying to tell me Bird started working for this franchise as President of Basketball Operations or better, in 2008 ??

Not at all. I'm well aware that he came here in 2003. But that Walsh fellow was also here too, and he was the guy who had been running the team since 1986. I have a hard time believing that Walsh set back quietly while Bird ran everything. Now that's not to say that Bird didn't make key decisions (the draft) or that he didn't make some mistakes. I'm just saying that I still think Walsh had the ultimate authority on most major moves. Peck has mentioned multiple times how Mullin said he only talked to Walsh about the Dun/Murph trade. None of us were there, so most of this is just guessing, but I do know that things clearly began to change in 2008. I think it's pretty accurate to state that Bird's role changed in 2008 when Walsh left. From then on, Bird was the undisputed head honcho. There was no more guessing amongst fans over who had more authority. I don't think it's a coincidence that the moves began to get better in 2008 when Bird assumed complete authority, peaking in that 2010-2012 stretch where we added PG, Lance, DC, George Hill, and David West.

I divide Bird's tenure here into two chapters. There was the 03-08 stretch when he was here with Walsh. That was obviously a rough five years. Then there was the 08-12 stretch after Walsh left. Those years were filled with excellent moves that built an awesome foundation for our club. Overall, Larry gets a great grade.

Sollozzo
02-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Please show me oh mighty oracle, where you made all these predictions I clearly missed the previous years and while at it how many years this 3 years plan took, Oh yeah all the Plumlee picks are not Larry's, he never made a bad draft in his life.

Chill out, we have a great team, which half of the posters are already tearing up because Granger is useless anyway, but ok, IF we can somehow pay for all the max-contracts you are perceiving in our future without hitting the luxury tax like the Lakers, or the Knickerbockers than we are set for 5 - 8 years, reality tells us that there is something like the luxury tax and we can't afford all those contracts.

This is a good point. The paradox of the NBA is that you can become a victim of your own success. You can make too many good moves that leave you in a position where you are unable to keep all of the solid players that you have assembled.

PacersPride
02-26-2013, 05:22 PM

who is it you are addressing. cause i got the post that can show you specifically where i was after the obrien firing. i claimed then Legend would win EXEC and lead this team to 50 for 5. so far so good.

how you like Legend now all you Bird critics.

CableKC
02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
I would hope Lance wouldn't be given $8M/yr.

I think the Pacers should give Lance an Ian type contract. $4M/yr for the next 4 years.
I guarantee you that some Team will "Lin-Asik" ( I'm trademarking that term ) the Pacers when it comes to making a contract offer to Lance since he's in ( as far as I know ) the same Free Agent situation as Lin and Asik were ( 2nd round Players that are set to make a splash when they becomes UFAs ).

We will be lucky to get Lance at $4 mil a year.

Eddie Gill
02-26-2013, 05:27 PM
I guarantee you that some Team will "Lin-Asik" ( I'm trademarking that term ) the Pacers when it comes to making a contract offer to Lance since he's in ( as far as I know ) the same Free Agent situation as Lin and Asik were ( 2nd round Players that are set to make a splash when they becomes UFAs ).

This. Lance at $4 mil/years is wishful thinking. To me, Lance is potentially more valuable long-term than George Hill.

PacersPride
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Dont get arrogant with me. Show me where I claimed Larry did not make a mistake or two in the draft. Overall i would give Legend a solid B+ to A- in drafts. Get off your high horse when talking Legend and Pacers to me. Lets just focus on the facts. You can start with the thread below since you asked.

here you go:

make sure you look at the date of the original post.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?62609-Going-on-record-PacerNation-Bird-will-win-GM-of-the-Year-Award

PacersPride
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
I have to know where David West will be playing in 6 months to begin to guess at how we'll do the next few years.

BAMF will be re-signed. I have no doubts the FO will make that happen if they want to even sniff the playoffs and have a sellout from time to time.

Sparhawk
02-26-2013, 05:49 PM
This. Lance at $4 mil/years is wishful thinking. To me, Lance is potentially more valuable long-term than George Hill.

It comes down to how they are producing. Hill is putting up 15 and 5 (and he was putting up those numbers when he won the starting pg role last season to earn him that big payday). Lance is avg 8 and 3 (10 and 2 for the past 5 games). How does that equate making as much as Hill? Lance has been great, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I do think Lance will take a leap forward next year. That's why it would be important to extend him this offseason if possible.

able
02-26-2013, 06:04 PM
BAMF will be re-signed. I have no doubts the FO will make that happen if they want to even sniff the playoffs and have a sellout from time to time.

March 2011, great prediction; 37 in 2011 and 35 in 2012 means you are 28 behind the 8ball and only 3 left.
You forget to mention your predicted frontline of Hibbert/Hans as solid and McRob as backup, Danger traded and Dunleavy re-signed, Rush kept and no word about Lance, do you really want me to dissect the rest?

Arrogance is your post saying you knew it all years ago whilst only one of your guesses so far materialized not me pointing out the flaws in your reasoning.

CableKC
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
I think that's stretching it...I think that he will be "as valuable" as Hill is to the core....but not more valuable than Hill.

colts19
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM

Talk about Chill Out, dude you sound like oleblu with you negative post.

Pacer Fan
02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Depends if DW can refrain from screwing things up.

If he does what he did in the 90's and early 2000, then we will be in good hands and I'd say as far as Paul, Roy, George and the rest can take us.

OlBlu
02-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Talk about Chill Out, dude you sound like oleblu with you negative post.

Hey, that is quite a compliment. Thank you...... :cool:

OlBlu
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
I think that's stretching it...I think that he will be "as valuable" as Hill is to the core....but not more valuable than Hill.

What Lance has going for him is a ton of upside. He is still getting better and he will keep doing that for a while. Lance might be a "star" something the Pacers do not have. Hill will be what he is, a very good player........:cool:

PacersPride
02-26-2013, 10:15 PM

check the post in response to Abel. thank you for this statement. all of a sudden everyone on PD is a believer in the 3 year plan these days.

how anyone could doubt a LEGEND is beyond my realm of expertise.

PacersPride
02-26-2013, 10:26 PM
March 2011, great prediction; 37 in 2011 and 35 in 2012 means you are 28 behind the 8ball and only 3 left.
You forget to mention your predicted frontline of Hibbert/Hans as solid and McRob as backup, Danger traded and Dunleavy re-signed, Rush kept and no word about Lance, do you really want me to dissect the rest?

Arrogance is your post saying you knew it all years ago whilst only one of your guesses so far materialized not me pointing out the flaws in your reasoning.

wait a minute. like i stated earlier lets only deal with facts shall we. the 3 year plan ended after 2011 - same season Obrien was let go. 2011 wins do not count against the prediction i had of 50 for 5. re read the original post if you dont believe me. i believe its clear.

lets also be fair here Able. last season was a lockout year. % wise pacers i believe won 50? am i wrong.? pacers from 98 also won 50 based on %.

MY MAIN PREDICTION WAS LEGEND WOULD WIN EXEC OF THE YEAR. LEADING THIS FRANCHISE TO 50 FOR 5.

the info regarding moves was purely speculative. i stated that in the OP. that the the moves were just for discussion. the thread title stated my objective.

remind you. this was when many here on PD wanted Birds head on platter. what else you got to disect. cause i got some crow for the Bird critics.

*Exec of the year - Complete
* 50 for 5 - looks good to me.

you got any more questions for me Able?

Pacerized
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
It comes down to how they are producing. Hill is putting up 15 and 5 (and he was putting up those numbers when he won the starting pg role last season to earn him that big payday). Lance is avg 8 and 3 (10 and 2 for the past 5 games). How does that equate making as much as Hill? Lance has been great, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I do think Lance will take a leap forward next year. That's why it would be important to extend him this offseason if possible.

I agree and I really like how Lance has came along this year but he's still a combo guard averaging 8 ppg as a starter and once Danny returns to form I expect his numbers will drop a little as his minutes are reduced from the bench. That's not taking anything away from him but he's not getting MLE money as a free agent and I think 4 mil would be pushing it. The thing is even if he gets 4 mil I doubt if the team can afford him unless we either lose Granger or West and both of those players are a priority over Lance. I'd be in favor of extending him if it's within the budget that needs to be set for the bench. So much has to play out between West and Hans this summer and then we have to see if Granger returns to form, I think it's worth just letting it play out at least until the trade deadline next year.
In answer to the OP's question, I think this team can seriously compete for the next 5 years as long as we keep our starting unit together and that includes Granger. I see West hanging tough like KG for at least another 4 year deal.

PacersPride
02-27-2013, 12:34 AM
I agree and I really like how Lance has came along this year but he's still a combo guard averaging 8 ppg as a starter and once Danny returns to form I expect his numbers will drop a little as his minutes are reduced from the bench. That's not taking anything away from him but he's not getting MLE money as a free agent and I think 4 mil would be pushing it. The thing is even if he gets 4 mil I doubt if the team can afford him unless we either lose Granger or West and both of those players are a priority over Lance. I'd be in favor of extending him if it's within the budget that needs to be set for the bench. So much has to play out between West and Hans this summer and then we have to see if Granger returns to form, I think it's worth just letting it play out at least until the trade deadline next year.
In answer to the OP's question, I think this team can seriously compete for the next 5 years as long as we keep our starting unit together and that includes Granger. I see West hanging tough like KG for at least another 4 year deal.

i dont want to get blasted and Danny is one of Legends' guys but i think his value has dropped with the knee issues. i love danny as a pacer fan as much as the next guy but realistically we cannot afford to keep him at anything more than 10M. West is the Priority. If Danny cannot accept less than 8.5 than Lance's value is at 4 M over a 3 year deal. Its evident this team can win without Granger. Now if they win a Title all bets are off.

West is still the top priority. By far. I still want to see Granger return and his play could determine his value as this season progresses. I will not deny. I am concerned with team chemistry but we have time and in Coach Vogel i trust.

when 33 enters starting lineup though im concerned how it will affect team with Lance in 2nd unit. the 1st unit has a real calming affect on Stephenson. esp. West.

dont get me wrong. Granger definitiely helps this team. if it means Sam Young to the bench so be it.

if Granger gels. We got something for the Heat and anyone else in our way.

naptownmenace
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Dont get arrogant with me. Show me where I claimed Larry did not make a mistake or two in the draft. Overall i would give Legend a solid B+ to A- in drafts. Get off your high horse when talking Legend and Pacers to me. Lets just focus on the facts. You can start with the thread below since you asked.

here you go:

make sure you look at the date of the original post.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?62609-Going-on-record-PacerNation-Bird-will-win-GM-of-the-Year-Award

I can understand why you got defensive with Able (deservedly so considering his tone) but whenever you give an "I TOLD YOU SO" type of post you should be ready to provide a link.

I'm just glad I voted for the, "I am just happy to see an optimistic thread on the forum" option. :laugh:

PacersPride
02-27-2013, 07:35 PM
I can understand why you got defensive with Able (deservedly so considering his tone) but whenever you give an "I TOLD YOU SO" type of post you should be ready to provide a link.

I'm just glad I voted for the, "I am just happy to see an optimistic thread on the forum" option. :laugh:

True. I have not seen any additional posts from him so I will simply assume he is in agreement that Legend performed exceptionally well as President of Basketball operations.

aamcguy
02-27-2013, 10:08 PM

He will never be in the situation they were. They were both restricted free agents, and Lance, since he was given a four year deal instead of a 2 or 3, will be an unrestricted free agent. If he wants to go somewhere else, he can. New York and Chicago had the final say on whether they would stay or go, Lance will have that with us.

Hoop
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Bird's drafting and trades were really good, hard to complain about much there, no one hits with every pick.

If Bird had not finally got his head out of his arse regarding JOB remaining the coach, I shudder to think about what would/could of happened.

Morale among fans and players were lower than I've ever seen. If not for the Vogel coached turn around and the Vogel inspired hard fought playoff loss to Chicago, no one would've had any hope for the future. D.West would likely not be here. There's a whole line of bad things that could have happened had JOB remained here for that entire last season. IMO Bird was this close >< to it all falling apart. Taking a chance on Vogel, Bird was either genius or he's just one lucky SOB that Vogel saved his butt.

Just glad it worked out this well, this team is fast becoming one of my favorite ones ever.

aamcguy
02-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Bird's drafting and trades were really good, hard to complain about much there, no one hits with every pick.

If Bird had not finally got his head out of his arse regarding JOB remaining the coach, I shudder to think about what would/could of happened.

Morale among fans and players were lower than I've ever seen. If not for the Vogel coached turn around and the Vogel inspired hard fought playoff loss to Chicago, no one would've had any hope for the future. D.West would likely not be here. There's a whole line of bad things that could have happened had JOB remained here for that entire last season. IMO Bird was this close >< to it all falling apart. Taking a chance on Vogel, Bird was either genius or he's just one lucky SOB that Vogel saved his butt.

Just glad it worked out this well, this team is fast becoming one of my favorite ones ever.

Interestingly enough, it seems that O'Brien actually paved the way for Vogel to become interim coach. As it was becoming more and more clear he was eventually going to be fired, he made sure Vogel was the most logical replacement for him. I don't remember the specifics, some other poster brought up the information a little while ago.

PacersPride
02-27-2013, 11:24 PM

not exactly clear on what finally made Bird decide to let Obrien go. I know Bird had instructed Obrien to play Tyler more and from what i remember Obrien refused in a round about way. Simon may have had some say but i doubt it. I believe Bird got lucky with Vogel.

However, I believe Shaw was the man he was targeting all along anyways. Mike Brown was a strong candidate at the time but still have to say Shaw could have easily been hired as HC.

I will have to bump that thread sometime. i re-read it and one of the more humorous comments if from good ole Naptown Seth.

he stated Tyler had a better chance of winning MVP than Legend getting it done as EOY.

i respect Seth's comments and agree with him some of the time. However he has a cold plate of crow to eat on this one. :laugh:

I am waiting for an NBA Finals Championship or 50 wins for 5+. I like my odds at this point time.

I believe last season we did win 50 based on %. I am still not certain why Able considered last season as less than 50 wins.

Sollozzo
02-28-2013, 12:39 AM
I believe last season we did win 50 based on %.

Yes, we won 63.6% of our games last year, which would have translated to 52 wins in a normal 82 game season.

VideoVandal
02-28-2013, 01:13 AM
What Lance has going for him is a ton of upside. He is still getting better and he will keep doing that for a while. Lance might be a "star" something the Pacers do not have. Hill will be what he is, a very good player........:cool:

So Paul George is not a Star? He is currently one of the top 15 to 20 players in the NBA. I do not know how exclusive you are making the star club, but if your idea of a star is only a top 10 player in the NBA then you are WAYYYY overvaluing Lance's potential in my opinion. Lance seems to have fringe All-star type potential to me and I thought I was being a Lance optimistic.....again if PG is not a star right now then that in essence means you think Lance has top 10 NBA potential and if the Pacers pay him like he has top 10 NBA potential then I will not be a fan of that contract.

CableKC
02-28-2013, 02:03 AM
He will never be in the situation they were. They were both restricted free agents, and Lance, since he was given a four year deal instead of a 2 or 3, will be an unrestricted free agent. If he wants to go somewhere else, he can. New York and Chicago had the final say on whether they would stay or go, Lance will have that with us.
So, we're in a worse situation than the Knicks and the Bulls.

We can lose him for nothing.

aamcguy
02-28-2013, 02:43 AM
So, we're in a worse situation than the Knicks and the Bulls.

We can lose him for nothing.

I don't think it's a worse situation, it's just different. If we keep him, it will probably be for a smaller contract than if he were to attract an offer as RFA. But it still may be a bigger deal than if nobody offered him anything as a RFA. But it will be strictly market value, whereas RFA offers are typically well above market value for the player.

And yes, we can lose him for nothing. But if he signed a big offer sheet somewhere else and the Pacers didn't match because of finances, we would still be losing him for nothing.

spazzxb
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
The three year plan was about what to do until we got rid over the "hangover" contracts (muphleavy,Posey,jo). Larry was patient prudent and fantastic at managing the situation. . A new coach, I believe, was always part of the plan. The fans were just impatient as always.