PDA

View Full Version : Best teams of late

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Indy is currently 6th in the league record-wise, but as we all know, they got off to a very sub-standard start to the season, expectation-wise. None of us could make any sense of it; it seemed out of character --- but nonetheless their poor start has impacted their standing amongst the league elite as of now.

Based on gut feel, I now feel like Indy is amongst the four best teams in the league, when considering the current sustained level of play. I consider Miami, OKC, and SA to all be of equal or greater footing to Indy. I know there are teams with better records, but I don't feel they are playing better ball, and likely wouldn't be ahead of Indy had Indy not had it's inexplicable early-season funk. Of the four aforementioned teams, only Indy went through through the early-season weak stretch.

What if Indy had started the season not on a Railroad of the Grand Funk variety, when we weren't playing "Closer To Home", without Danny Granger to sing "I'm Your Captain"? (See what I did there?)

Indy started off 10-11, and most folks, including alot here, were calling for Indy to blow up the entire team. It was hard to put a finger on, but we all knew this team was just off. They found themselves around the 21-game mark.

Around that time, Franky-boy made some offensive tweaks and we started finding our offensive groove, and things got rectified quickly. Since that point in the season, the Pacers have played 35 games in their current groove.

I thought it would interesting to see how Indy's record over the past 35 games (which to me is a much better indicator because of the level of their play from that point) compares to that of Miami, SA, and OKC:

Miami is 26-9
SA is 26-9
Indy is 25-10
OKC is 24-11

So there ya have it. We're right the with the big dogs of the league over the last chunk of the season.

Trader Joe
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Even better 31-14 since the 4-7 start.

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Even better 31-14 since the 4-7 start.

After going 4-7 (36%), they started to get on track by going 6-4 (60%)... and since then have gone 25-10 (71%). It's been in the last 35 that they've really hit that stride.

It's just hard to imagine we're now 6th in the league record-wise when we were UNDER .500 after 21 games.

Steagles
02-25-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't care how "hot" the Heat are, they still can't guard in the post.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

McDunken
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM

What he said.

Trader Joe
02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
After going 4-7 (36%), they started to get on track by going 6-4 (60%)... and since then have gone 25-10 (71%). It's been in the last 35 that they've really hit that stride.

It's just hard to imagine we're now 6th in the league record-wise when we were UNDER .500 after 21 games.

Don't disagree. Just saying you can see the different stages of the team putting it together.

Ace E.Anderson
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
I think this is interesting seeing how NY and LAC got off to such hot starts and have tapered off a little as of late.

It'll be interesting to see how we do these last 26 games.

Goyle
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Bron can guard West just fine, I think. The question is can he do that and have enough energy to dominate on offense too? Not all game, no way.

Will Galen
02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Miami is 26-9
SA is 26-9
Indy is 25-10
OKC is 24-11

So there ya have it. We're right the with the big dogs of the league over the last chunk of the season.

Actually we just gave away two games before the break, so we should be 27-8.

Lance George
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Had we not blown those two games, we'd have the best record in the league over the past 45 games. For shame.

aiq24
02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Bron can guard West just fine, I think. The question is can he do that and have enough energy to dominate on offense too? Not all game, no way.

I'd have to say that one is false. If I remember correctly, during the first few games LeBron did just that and David West ate him up, which called for Shane Battier to be switched on to him. Which eventually led to them fronting our post players and our inability to get the ball in to them. I could be mistaken, it has been a while since I have watched/rewatched the series.