PDA

View Full Version : Ruling expected in NBA brawl suspensions

Lord Helmet
12-21-2004, 03:35 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_BRAWL_APPEAL?SITE=ININS&SECTION=SPORTS

Deadshot
12-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Good news - if everything goes well, JO could play Christmas. However, that looks unlikely (but we can always hope).

Lord Helmet
12-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Yeah I hope they can get a ruling by tommorow then hopefully find a way to at least have JO playing on the X-mas day game.JO is sad about the whole incident and has been on good behavior so Stern should let him play.But then again this is the Pacers so Stern will drag it out as long as possible most likely :mad:

Doug in CO
12-21-2004, 03:58 PM
I do not know why everyone is focussing on the Christmas game so much - it is one game. Let's just hope they reduce each suspension a few games and get Ronnie back... eventually.

Deadshot
12-21-2004, 04:33 PM
I do not know why everyone is focussing on the Christmas game so much - it is one game. Let's just hope they reduce each suspension a few games and get Ronnie back... eventually.

While it is only one game, it means several things. First, it means JO will be back to help out the team. Obviously thats a good thing. Next, we are tied with the Pistons right now in win/loss column. It would possibly help us in the future to win on Christmas. Thirdly, with JO, our chances of winning the game are very high. I don't think there is any other team I would rather beat now.

Doug in CO
12-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I just want Ron back - because that is a season altering decision, not a Saturday altering one. We can live with the lengths of the JO and Jax suspensions - it is the Artest one that destroys the dream.

Eindar
12-21-2004, 05:50 PM
They mention something in the article about the union appealing based on an amendment to the 1995 CBA that states if players lose more than 25 grand, they get to appeal. I had not heard this before and find it interesting. If it is as they put it, it sounds like they should get an appeal. However, there's probably confusing verbiage to contend with, and also if it's intended to be lost wages vs. a fine.

Anything that helps our case is good, though.

Los Angeles
12-21-2004, 06:11 PM
They mention something in the article about the union appealing based on an amendment to the 1995 CBA that states if players lose more than 25 grand, they get to appeal. I had not heard this before and find it interesting. If it is as they put it, it sounds like they should get an appeal. However, there's probably confusing verbiage to contend with, and also if it's intended to be lost wages vs. a fine.

My understanding is that the appeal process goes through Stern.

I think the NBA will take the stance that "arbitration" and "appeal" (to the commissioner) are two completely separate processes. In this case it's easy for Stern to say "Arbitration is not allowed, but you can appeal to me." Then: "I've heard your appeal. And the answer is 'no'." :(

able
12-21-2004, 07:07 PM

I mentioned this in several threads, just flip down a page or some.

Basically the current CBA says that penalties exceeding 25K in financial hardship for the suspendee OR related to certain matters are eligible for appeal to an arbitrator. (the latter being cases not resulting from "playing-court" (again an important term since it is more restrictive then "court" or "on-court") )

It is with that in mind, the PA (imo succesfully) argues that A. Kaplan has Jurisdiction and B. that the "spirit" of the agreement is one where extremely harsh penalties/ lengthy penalties etc are "meant" to be arbitrated instead of appealed to the same person who sentences.

It is also a "civil" case that one has a right to a review in matters like this, but that part is the European speaking, so I'm not to sure about that in the USA