PDA

View Full Version : Sean Deveaney--Fox/SI

indygeezer
12-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Just a snippet....but this is a concern I've had for a couple of weeks now.

"As they did with PG Jamaal Tinsley, the Pacers appear to have gotten a late-draft steal with C David Harrison, who has played well with PF Jermaine O'Neal out. Harrison, like most rookies, needs to work on his defense and passing, but he shot 61.3 percent and averaged 10.3 points and 4.6 rebounds in the first 11 games he played after O'Neal's suspension. Another Pacer, G/F Jonathan Bender, has been diligent in his rehab from an injured right knee (yet again) and plans to return by the end of the month. But according to a league source, Bender, 23, who has missed most of the past three seasons with a variety of injuries, has Pacers officials worried about his long-term health and whether his knees ever will be able to hold up for a whole season. ..."

DisplacedKnick
12-21-2004, 12:50 PM
A couple of WEEKS?

ChicagoJ
12-21-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm more concerned that he's still listed as a G/F above. :rolleyes:

stipo
12-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Someone once wrote that Ron is :dead: to them, but Bender is :dead: to me.

Unclebuck
12-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Nothing surprising there

indygeezer
12-21-2004, 01:04 PM
I know the kid is constantly hurt, but has he had that much trouble with his KNEES? IIRC it's just been one thing after another and not limited to his knees. I just don't remember hearing that the knees were a chronic problem.

Alabama-Redneck
12-21-2004, 01:56 PM
I think Deveaney is like most reporters, they take a few facts, add their own spin, add a lot of BS and spectulation and call it reporting a story they really know nothing about.

Ahhh....the life of a reporter. No responsibilty for facts.

:cool:

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-21-2004, 03:40 PM
I hope at some point Bender can be healthy for a whole season just so we can see what he can do when he has some serious playing time. I don't fault him for the problems he's having with his injuries. He had a growth spurt in High School that caused him to have knee problems. Putting myself in his shoes it must be frustrating to spend a whole career rehabbing injuries so far. The way people write about his potential just makes me want him to stick around and get healthy (long term) so we can see what he can really do. I'm praying our patience will pay off.

Hicks
12-21-2004, 03:41 PM
I just hope he does come back by new years. I want to see him get a lot of minutes before JO gets back and see what he does with it.

DisplacedKnick
12-21-2004, 03:57 PM
I know the kid is constantly hurt, but has he had that much trouble with his KNEES? IIRC it's just been one thing after another and not limited to his knees. I just don't remember hearing that the knees were a chronic problem.

Oct 3, 2003 - knee surgery: http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/camp_notes_031003.html

This is from a story earlier this year: Last season, Bender missed the first 39 games after having knee surgery, then missed seven more with "postoperative soreness." He also missed time with a shoulder sprain and played in just 21 games. http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/10224548.htm

PacerGregg
12-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Grant Hill is a perfect example of a franchise not giving up to soon and now they are reaping the benefits. With the obvious difference being he had done it before where Bender has only shown flashes of what he can do. But them flashes sure make one hope to see a healthy J.B. one of these days.Before its to late and he's showing another team.

Ragnar
12-21-2004, 04:16 PM
I would be more worried if they were not worried that Bender may never play an entire season. I have no expectation that he ever will.

Grant Hill is not in any way shape or form the same as Bender. Grant Hill was a very healthy player to start out with who had an injury that was probably not fixed properly in Detroit. Bender has never played an entire season.

canyoufeelit
12-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Grant Hill also has a max contract.

ABADays
12-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Grant Hill is a perfect example of a franchise not giving up to soon and now they are reaping the benefits. With the obvious difference being he had done it before where Bender has only shown flashes of what he can do. But them flashes sure make one hope to see a healthy J.B. one of these days.Before its to late and he's showing another team.
Oh . . . but the Pistons did give up on Hill. And any comparison about JB to Grant Hill is ridiculous.

3Ball
12-21-2004, 05:19 PM
I think I asked this question before, but I was never able to find a satisfactory answer. Has there ever been a player who was talented but constantly injured in the first few years, but later went on to glory and fame? Lots of good players are injured later in their careers, and plenty of players recover from a single-year tragedy, or even more than one single year tragedies. But to be out more or less constantly for year? Nobody really comes to mind...

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
I think I asked this question before, but I was never able to find a satisfactory answer. Has there ever been a player who was talented but constantly injured in the first few years, but later went on to glory and fame?

Can't think of anybody, but it would be a hard comparison at the same time. Yes Bender had been around a while now, but he also came out of High School. Players from College are usually older, and if they hit the injury bug early they break out of it when they're about 30, and by that time they're Penny Hardaway. That's why Benders situation is a little different. He came here straight from High School and was going to sit and develop injury or no injury. Now sure his coming out is about 2-3 years late but if he's really worth it then he'll get out there. However I don't see him here beyond this season if he can't get healthy.

Los Angeles
12-21-2004, 06:00 PM
I think I asked this question before, but I was never able to find a satisfactory answer. Has there ever been a player who was talented but constantly injured in the first few years, but later went on to glory and fame? Lots of good players are injured later in their careers, and plenty of players recover from a single-year tragedy, or even more than one single year tragedies. But to be out more or less constantly for year? Nobody really comes to mind...
I don't have the longest memory, but as far as recently goes, Grant Hill is an example of someone who had long-term injury problems but has made a significant comeback.

That said, if Bender went to college and suffered the same rash of injuries, he likely never would have been drafted. A lot of posters on here have given up on him, myself included.

DisplacedKnick
12-21-2004, 06:12 PM
However I don't see him here beyond this season if he can't get healthy.

He's due to get about 15 million over the next two seasons. Who do you think will take him off your hands?

Summer of 2006, yes, to some team for cap relief. I'd be surprised to see him move before then.

PacerFanInBayAreaCali
12-21-2004, 08:47 PM
good lord 15 Million! Oh lawdy lawdy he's a bust! Call the salary police ohhhhh.. :D

Hope he comes through and earns that money on the court. Otherwise he's been only valuable to our trainer...giving him more experience.

Anthem
12-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Like David Craig doesn't have all the experience he needs.

canyoufeelit
12-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Ohh Bender, if ya got anything, we could use it now :(