PDA

View Full Version : Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

Randolph_HorseLips
02-23-2013, 09:53 PM
I was wondering how often Tyler gets to the free throw line in proportion to minutes played. So I looked it up.

Coming in to tonight here are the NBA's Top 10 in free throws attempted, per 36 minutes played (minimum 40 games played)...

1. James Harden 9.4
2. Dwight Howard 9.3
3. Kevin Durant 8.6
4. TYLER HANSBROUGH 8.1
5. Ramon Sessions 7.7
6. Russell Westbrook 7.0
7. Carmelo Anthony 6.9
8. Kobe Bryant 6.8
9. Dewayne Wade 6.7
10. DeMarcus Cousins 6.6

What is remarkable to me is the company he is in, and the fact that he is the only non-starter on this list.

Kid Minneapolis
02-23-2013, 09:59 PM
He's always been an elite visitor to the charity stripe.

CableKC
02-23-2013, 10:03 PM
This is one of the reasons why I think that the Pacers will likely match anything that Hansbrough gets. This skill is underrated and important during the Playoffs.

Nuntius
02-23-2013, 10:07 PM
I am far more surprised to see Ramon Sessions there. He isn't a starter either. I should have expected it though since I have Ramon in my fantasy team.

Anyway, about Hansbrough. It's not surprising. Personally, I knew it and it's one of the main reasons that I want us to retain him. I just hope that he isn't going to cost us a lot so we can afford him :)

Randolph_HorseLips
02-23-2013, 10:10 PM
LeBron would have been 11th on that list, by the way.

ECKrueger
02-23-2013, 10:15 PM
LeBron would have been 11th on that list, by the way.

Tyler > LeBron

Randolph_HorseLips
02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
This is one of the reasons why I think that the Pacers will likely match anything that Hansbrough gets. This skill is underrated and important during the Playoffs.

You know, I think I'm starting to see the light here. A LOT of people in my family love Tyler, and for a long while I thought they were mistaking "hard work" for value. But I'm really starting to like what he brings to this team. He's going to frustrate a LOT of teams down the stretch and come playoff time.

I still don't think he is starter material. But as a 6th man who brings energy and gets opposing players in foul trouble, I think he is an asset.

Dr. Awesome
02-23-2013, 10:21 PM
It really is quite an underrated stat come playoff time. We will need to get people in foul trouble.

PacersHomer
02-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Tyler > LeBron

Can't argue with the facts.

Hoop
02-23-2013, 11:03 PM
I hope we can keep Tyler, unless we can get a clearly better replacement.

He certainly has his faults, but he brings it every night, and is more effective than he get's credit for sometimes. He'll be a hard bench guy to replace with someone better, with the cap rules. I think his defense and rebounding (even his passing) have improved this season.

Pacerized
02-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I really wish that were possible but it could only be if the team is willing to pay the LT or plans to move Granger. I like Tyler and hope he comes cheap enough to keep him for the next 4 years but if I have to pick I'd rather keep Granger.

Pace Maker
02-23-2013, 11:22 PM
b-b-but I thought Lebron got all the calls?

CableKC
02-24-2013, 12:36 AM
I really wish that were possible but it could only be if the team is willing to pay the LT or plans to move Granger. I like Tyler and hope he comes cheap enough to keep him for the next 4 years but if I have to pick I'd rather keep Granger.
If I were a betting man....short of making the ECF ( or beyond ) and DW/KP/Bird convince the Simons to go into the LT......I'd bet that there is a greater chance that Hansbrough would be on this Team over Granger over the long-term.

Not because of who is the better Player ( cuz Granger clearly is ) but because of stone-cold Financial/SalaryCap reasons for the 2014-2015 season ( when Lance and PG become FAs ).

Believe me...I hope that Seth arranges a meeting with the Simons and convinces them why a GH/PG/Granger/West/Hibbert/Lance/Mahinmi core ( with rookie and cheap role Players ) would make the most sense to win a Championship......but my guess is that the choice to pick between Hansbrough and Granger will be moot.....I think that Granger is going to be a casualty of keeping West, Lance and PG for the long-term.

MillerTime
02-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Not surprised. His style of play invites a lot of contact.

I'm surprised Sessions made the list

maragin
02-24-2013, 04:46 AM
I ran some of Tyler's numbers over in this thread (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?80947-Grantland-s-article-on-West-s-efficiency-and-usefulness&p=1587432&highlight=#post1587432) on 2/14. I'll just repost it here, as I think it's worth another look.

----------------

Did some quick math using the stats at basketballreference.com

Tyler is 3rd in FTA/ FGA for players with 500 minutes or more. Here's the top 20 for reference:

<tbody>
Reggie Evans

Ricky Rubio

Tyler Hansbrough

Dahntay Jones

Dwight Howard

Kevin Love

James Harden

Ramon Sessions

Ian Mahinmi

Gerald Wallace

Kyle Lowry

Kris Humphries

Omer Asik

Derrick Favors

Kevin Durant

Alec Burks

Tyson Chandler

Eric Gordon

Rodney Stuckey

Carl Landry

</tbody>

That makes him number 2 in percentage of Total Points from free throws:

<tbody>
Ricky Rubio

Tyler Hansbrough

Dahntay Jones

Ramon Sessions

James Harden

Reggie Evans

Kevin Love

Ian Mahinmi

Kevin Durant

Carl Landry

Kris Humphries

Dwight Howard

Kyle Lowry

Eric Gordon

Jimmy Butler

Marc Gasol

Nene Hilario

Gordon Hayward

Tiago Splitter

Rodney Stuckey

</tbody>

And number one in FTA/ Assist:

<tbody>
Tyler Hansbrough

Ian Mahinmi

DeAndre Jordan

JaVale McGee

Derrick Williams

Dwight Howard

Brook Lopez

Nikola Pekovic

Andre Drummond

Kris Humphries

Carl Landry

Reggie Evans

Greg Smith

Tyson Chandler

Omer Asik

Derrick Favors

Marreese Speights

Kenneth Faried

Kevin Love

Anthony Davis

</tbody>

You'll note that Ian and Tyler are both very good at this "skill". Our bigs off the bench love to take it to the rack regardless of what might be in the way.

I wish I could get some advanced stats like FTA/ touches in the post. Actually, I'd really dig number of times blocked/ stolen/ turned over, as Tyler and Ian are not the most graceful of creatures.

With as much time as they spend on the line, I wonder if we get the starters an extra timeout's worth of rest a game. Anyways, I could crunch numbers like this all day... but apparently my work doesn't share my dedication to Pacers stats. Back to work!

Nuntius
02-24-2013, 04:54 AM
And number one in FTA/ Assist

I didn't even know that such a stat exists :laugh:

cgg
02-24-2013, 04:57 AM
What is FTA/Assist supposed to measure ?

Nuntius
02-24-2013, 05:19 AM
What is FTA/Assist supposed to measure ?

Free throw attempt (FTA) per Assist if it's going by the common naming formula.

PS: The amount of assists that the player that takes the FTs has. Not how many teams a player is fouled on an assisted play. It's not surprising that bigs dominate this category.

PS II: That said, I didn't even know that this stat exist. So, I could be wrong.

cgg
02-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Free throw attempt (FTA) per Assist if it's going by the common naming formula.

PS: The amount of assists that the player that takes the FTs has. Not how many teams a player is fouled on an assisted play. It's not surprising that bigs dominate this category.

PS II: That said, I didn't even know that this stat exist. So, I could be wrong.

Well I know what it is, but I don't know what the significance is...

Nuntius
02-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Well I know what it is, but I don't know what the significance is...

Ow. Reading comprehension fail on my part :-p

Well, I guess that it's suppossed to measure how often a player elects to drive to the hoop strong or pass the ball.

I will agree with Maragin that FTA / touches in the post are a stat that we should get. I don't know where either, though :(

Johanvil
02-24-2013, 09:15 AM
TBH it's this year he goes to the line that often. It's like he had to play for 3 years first and then start getting the calls he deserved to get.

Derek2k3
02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
b-b-but I thought Lebron got all the calls?

Playing 48mpg really dilutes stats like this.

Although Durant is the most babied star in the league, hands down. I love the guys game...but he gets way too many calls.

Go Tyler!

Pacerized
02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
If I were a betting man....short of making the ECF ( or beyond ) and DW/KP/Bird convince the Simons to go into the LT......I'd bet that there is a greater chance that Hansbrough would be on this Team over Granger over the long-term.

Not because of who is the better Player ( cuz Granger clearly is ) but because of stone-cold Financial/SalaryCap reasons for the 2014-2015 season ( when Lance and PG become FAs ).

Believe me...I hope that Seth arranges a meeting with the Simons and convinces them why a GH/PG/Granger/West/Hibbert/Lance/Mahinmi core ( with rookie and cheap role Players ) would make the most sense to win a Championship......but my guess is that the choice to pick between Hansbrough and Granger will be moot.....I think that Granger is going to be a casualty of keeping West, Lance and PG for the long-term.

I hope you're wrong but you're right in that it either comes down to keeping West, Granger, and PG or letting 1 go to keep the bench. I doubt if we can even keep Lance if we keep Granger. I hate these hard choices but if we have to give up Granger or give up Lance, and Hans then I'd much rather keep Granger. We'll see after this summer where the team is going once West and Hans are put to rest. If West stays for under 12 mil and Hans is under 3 or gone then I think they'll be heading toward keeping Granger. If West signs for more or they keep Tyler for more then 3 mil, then I think Danny will be gone.

boombaby1987
02-24-2013, 04:38 PM
TBH it's this year he goes to the line that often. It's like he had to play for 3 years first and then start getting the calls he deserved to get.

He was 20th last year, so not really. 20th is still really good. Also, Fez was 1st in the NBA last year.

Naptown_Seth
02-24-2013, 05:14 PM
He's always been an elite visitor to the charity stripe.I explicitly stated this during the pre-draft scouting and even post-draft evals. The only thing I was wrong about was that he'd get the respect in the NBA to still get to the line, which he was able to do even in his rookie year.

He has no go-to scoring move that is reliable, doesn't have great hops, doesn't have good footwork, but his unorthodox style and constant motor just keep getting people smacking him. Maybe his physical play pulls it out of guys even more. Seems to be true more and more often.

Naptown_Seth
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM

This is not even close to correct. Tyler has ALWAYS been an elite NBA per36 fouls guy. It's easy to prove with BBall-Ref.com He drew 8.0 p36 his rookie year. His low was year two and that was still a strong 5.9.

Tyler was 8th in p36 FTAs his rookie year (for guys with 500+ minutes played) right between Bosh and Amare (all the other leaders played a lot more minutes)

He was 33rd his 2nd year, just a few behind Danny.

He was 13th last season

And you know the surprise player that was top 5 during those same seasons? Corey Maggette.

Johanvil
02-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Ah OK, didn't know that. Always thought, until this year, he didn't go that much to the FT line despite being hacked every other play.

cgg
02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Ah OK, didn't know that. Always thought, until this year, he didn't go that much to the FT line despite being hacked every other play.

If he got to the line every time we think he should, he would dominate the league. :lol:

Mac_Daddy
02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
He does tend to annoy the hell out of other players, so it makes sense they might want to smack him around a bit more.

MyFavMartin
02-25-2013, 10:38 AM
TH is great off the bench. However, DWest should be our priority this off-season. I really wonder if we can keep Tyler while resigning David and staying under the luxury tax. Ian has been excellent as a bench big, too.