PDA

View Full Version : Good thing we didn't snag Dampier

3Ball
12-21-2004, 12:06 AM
Maybe JO doesn't have GM potential in him. How often the best player on a team has no idea what the team really needs!

All the talk on this board about how much we need a guy like Dampier, how much we need someone solid in the center. Ouch! He has looked lousy in Dallas (even playing off of Nowitzki), and here we are with a positive glut in the middle (if everyone was healthy and on the court).

He's putting up a measly 8.3 ppg & 7.5 rpg (approximately his career averages, by the way). Meanwhile, Foster is putting up 10.5 & 13.2 for a fraction of the price. And that's on top of Harrison's 7.2 & 3.8. Even Croshere is 14 & 8. Harrison's even out-blocking him.

Now, admittedly, Dampier is a step up for Dallas, but he would have been worse than nothing here. It he was here, maybe we wouldn't have even drafted Harrison, and he certainly wouldn't be developing like he is now.

SoupIsGood
12-21-2004, 12:14 AM
I guess those that said he would slip back to his 8 and 8 days were correct.

JO_pace
12-21-2004, 02:25 AM
i agree with what you say...but is he getting the same minutes as he did with the warriors, since that can be the reason why he's not playing well..~

Jose Slaughter
12-21-2004, 04:24 AM
I agree except one minor error, right at the end.

We drafted Harrison at the end of June & the FA signing period didn't start until the middle of July.

I don't think we backed off Dampier because we had Harrison, there were other issues there. To say we wouldn't have gotten Harrison had we got Dampier is ..... well, it's simply would not have been possible.

Eindar
12-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Well, I'm obviously glad we have harrison and passed on Dampier. I'm not gonna say, "I told you so" because I wasn't sure if he'd regress, but I had definite concerns. Just further proof that you NEVER pay big money to a guy who has a breakout season during a contract year. ESPECIALLY if that guy has a well-earned reputation as a slacker.

DisplacedKnick
12-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Dampier was definitely a gamble and his stats were definitely better than he is as a player - played for GS and if Murphy had been playing PF last season he wouldn't have had all those free boards to gobble up.

But keep in mind the Mavs are now one of the better defensive teams in the league - don't know exactly where they rank but I know they're in the top-ten both in points allowed and FG% against. They're much better equipped to win in the playoffs than they've been - even if they don't win as many during the season.

Unclebuck
12-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Many of us never wanted Dampier.

indygeezer
12-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Many of us never wanted Dampier.

Agreed. Never asked for Dampier (fragile knees, work ethic, and poor work history) But we did need another big body and fortunately Harrison is working out. Yes, he's gonna be a keeper. Jeff and Cro's numbers are good and I expected them to be. But against the bigs and physicals they needed more help than we had to give them. Now, when everybody is healthy, we MAY have enough. It depends on how Harrison progresses. Early season is not the same as the playoffs. But he is getting experience that can do nothing but help. Curry adds the veteran experience and on-court "voice". We get people back and we'll be ok.
As for how we fare with Ronnie :censored: ...I'm just not sure. :confused:

sixthman
12-21-2004, 09:55 AM
I wanted Dampier, but only if he came at a decent price. He did not and Dallas overpaid I think.

Also, Cuban may have won the battle, but lost the war. He obtained Dampier to win a championship now, but in the process let a great point guard get away. With Steve Nash and Dampier this season, the Mavs could have won a championship; Without Nash, I think the Mavs are toast this year.

beast23
12-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Agreed. I wanted Dampier at a decent price. I felt like he was the extra big body we needed along the front line.

Had we gotten Dampier, without the suspensions Harrison would be sitting on the bench or on IR. And we would be sitting here today probably satisfied with the combination of Dampier and Foster, without yet knowing what Harrison would have to offer.

But the way things have turned out, we've been very fortunate to see so much of Harrision this early in his career. First year players have never gotten much time on a strong Pacers roster, at least until this year.

Only a fool would not be pleased with Harrision's performance to date, and I'll admit that I'm very pleased with the way things have turned out. Most likely, we'll end up with a player (Harrison) that will be a better fit for our team than Dampier ever could have been.

dannyboy
12-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Most likely, we'll end up with a player (Harrison) that will be a better fit for our team than Dampier ever could have been.

Unless he is traded after this season. :devil:

beast23
12-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Unless he is traded after this season. :devil:
No way that happens. We needed an extra banger that does not need the ball, yet can defend, rebound and block shots.

Harrison appears to fit that mold perfectly and true centers have been a rare commodity.

I'd venture to guess that Bird and Walsh would part with Bender, James Jones and even Freddie before they would ever consider trading a promising center.

And no... I didn't consider Primoz to be a promising, well-rounded center.

ChicagoJ
12-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Harrison > Dampier
Harrison > Brezec
Harrison > any other post player not named "Jermaine" on the Pacers' roster.

My grumbling for a true "C" was answered in a way I didn't think possible - the draft.

I've got no complaints anymore that we didn't get Damp and that we let Peanut Butter 'stick' to the roof of another team's mouth.

dannyboy
12-21-2004, 12:42 PM
No way that happens. We needed an extra banger that does not need the ball, yet can defend, rebound and block shots.

Harrison appears to fit that mold perfectly and true centers have been a rare commodity.

I'd venture to guess that Bird and Walsh would part with Bender, James Jones and even Freddie before they would ever consider trading a promising center.

And no... I didn't consider Primoz to be a promising, well-rounded center.

I agree completely. I was referring to what happened with Dampier as a rookie. But Harrison is definitely a better first year player than Dampier was and is arguably as good (or at least as productive) a player as Dampier is now.

kerosene
12-22-2004, 03:04 AM
I never saw Dampier as being a very good fit with this team. Anyway, I had plenty of chances to watch him in GS and just _knew_ last season had to be a mirage. He's a decent big man I suppose but not worth what he's going to be making as his contract goes on. Then again, I guess if that's the market value what are you gonna do? Nash sure looks rejuvenated with that Phoenix team huh?