PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granger will make his debut tonight

BlueCollarColts
02-23-2013, 11:32 AM
via Mike Wells
Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA
Danny Granger will make his season debut tonight in Detroit, according to a source.

cgg
02-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Our beat writer has secret sources.

croz24
02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
I sincerely hope we use Granger similar to how the Spurs have used Ginobili in the past. Lance fits in too well with the starters as our best facilitator/playmaker, and I highly doubt he'll have the same impact on the team coming off the bench as the #1 or #2 option.

pizza guy
02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
He couldn't do it last night, at home?

Maybe they figured the team might be tired tonight, so Danny is the secret weapon, lol.

Here's to a good ten or fifteen minutes for Danny in another blowout win.

Pacerfan
02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
This freight engine's picking up more steam in the form of Danny Granger!

Really excited to see Danny play tonight!

BlueCollarColts
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I sincerely hope we use Granger similar to how the Spurs have used Ginobili in the past. Lance fits in too well with the starters as our best facilitator/playmaker, and I highly doubt he'll have the same impact on the team coming off the bench as the #1 or #2 option.
you can hope all you want, but Vogel has said multiple times that when Granger gets his legs under him he is starting, I like Lance in the 2nd unit better, he can get D.J. and OJ open shots and create for himself better than Danny

pizza guy
02-23-2013, 11:43 AM

The Ginobli comparison is an interesting one. Granger's game is nothing like Ginobli's, but Lance kind of is. He plays almost recklessly at times, but the result is more good than bad.

PacerPenguins
02-23-2013, 11:44 AM
:dancingsager::great::thisisfun::mjpopcorn::citize nkane:

cinotimz
02-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Great call....very glad they didnt play him last night. You knew there was no way the Pistons were gonna win last night....playing the same team back to back...no matter who it is...is always tough...even moreso after how they got embarrassed last night...so Danny coming back hopefully can alleviate that natural letdown and have the team excited. Very well thought out Mr. Vogel....which comes as no surprise. Great call.

zaldylee
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
The Captain is finally making his debut

ndcoltsnpacers
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
He'll have more than a few fans in Detroit tonight.

cinotimz
02-23-2013, 11:51 AM

While im certainly not opposed to them bringing Danny off the bench to work him back into the fray...the reasons the Spurs use Manu off the bench and the Thunder used Harden off the bench are absolutely irrelevant when it comes to comparing where to use Danny. Both of those guys are facilitators and were/are used as such when their starting pgs arent on the floor and sometimes even when they are. Danny is not a facilitator.

EDIT: I actually would like to see Danny come off the bench as well....but not for the reasons Manu or Harden did. Im still a bit skeptical of Lance's ability to make that second team work effectively and his ability to play as well as he does with the first team at this stage of his maturation process. Danny would add much needed stability, etc to that second team right now. And the first team is playing great for the most part as is. I also am not that excited about Lance being on the floor without D. West or Granger right now. Im not ready for Lance to be the leader of the second team and thats because I dont really think Lance is either. And that has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with experience and maturation.

BlueNGold
02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Tough entry point after we spanked them hard in our house. It will be interesting to see how Frank uses him.

SMosley21
02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Tough entry point after we spanked them hard in our house. It will be interesting to see how Frank uses him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Frank use him with Sam Young at the SG spot. That would take a lot of pressure off Danny defensively with that 2nd unit.

croz24
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
The Ginobli comparison is an interesting one. Granger's game is nothing like Ginobli's, but Lance kind of is. He plays almost recklessly at times, but the result is more good than bad.

I'm not comparing the players. Ginobili and Granger play nothing alike. You put Lance on the bench, sure he may get our backups some open looks, but our backups can't hit those shots at a high %. So then, you are relying upon Lance to be the primary scorer off the bench, and that's not the kind of player he is nor needs to become. It also enables George to play at his more natural SF position and you aren't relying on Hill to be the primary passer. Meanwhile, you start with Granger on the bench and he's a matchup nightmare for the opposition, forcing their hand to likely play their own starters longer minutes which should pay great dividends at the end of games.

Goyle
02-23-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm not comparing the players. Ginobili and Granger play nothing alike. You put Lance on the bench, sure he may get our backups some open looks, but our backups can't hit those shots at a high %. So then, you are relying upon Lance to be the primary scorer off the bench, and that's not the kind of player he is nor needs to become. It also enables George to play at his more natural SF position and you aren't relying on Hill to be the primary passer. Meanwhile, you start with Granger on the bench and he's a matchup nightmare for the opposition, forcing their hand to likely play their own starters longer minutes which should pay great dividends at the end of games.

So Lance needs to stay in the role he is now? Assuming our lineup is as good as last years with Danny in it, there's more potential for greatness if Lance develops into a primary option off the bench.

SMosley21
02-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Really? OJ is shooting 54.5% from 3pt range on the season, and DJ is shooting 43% from deep the past 2 months. I'd say they don't have much of a problem at all knocking down open shots at a high %.

DGPR
02-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Gerald Green might have to start buying some suits.

MillerTime
02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Fcukin' great news. I've been waiting all season for this.

I don't expect Granger to play more than 8-10 mins. But I just want to see him out there. He's shown a lot of loyalty to this franchise and city. Let's hope Granger can get going and back in physical condition before the start of the playoffs.

All this talk about "will Granger come off the bench...will he start"

Put all this talk to sleep. This is just ridiculous...he'll come off the bench until he is ready to start. He will eventually be a starter - that's for sure

MagicRat
02-23-2013, 12:21 PM

George Hill probably told him today while they were having soul food on the road.

Hicks
02-23-2013, 12:22 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f_aM6nRXSCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rock747
02-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Alright, I need to get all my work done so I can relax and watch this game. Excited to see where Danny's at.

rel
02-23-2013, 12:47 PM
"WELCOME BACK"

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/adg6iEz3-Ow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BoomBaby33
02-23-2013, 01:09 PM

You look at every great team and they all have allstar caliber player coming off the bench. Come on Danny please accept that role and possibly win a ring! Lance really plays good with the starters. Like the other thread says i think he is a great spaark for them. There is no way danny can create like lance does. I love danny but he finally can fill that robin role now!

Go pacers

graphic-er
02-23-2013, 01:17 PM
LETS GO GRANGER!

idioteque
02-23-2013, 01:24 PM
I love this current group of players and am glad to see Danny return. I just love this team together, this core is starting to rival the 90's core for me and I never thought I would ever say that about the Pacers 3 years ago.

*astrisk*
02-23-2013, 01:25 PM
HE'S BAAAAACK!!!!

BlueCollarColts
02-23-2013, 01:32 PM
You look at every great team and they all have allstar caliber player coming off the bench. Come on Danny please accept that role and possibly win a ring! Lance really plays good with the starters. Like the other thread says i think he is a great spaark for them. There is no way danny can create like lance does. I love danny but he finally can fill that robin role now!

Go pacers

lol who is Miami's all star player coming off the bench? Ray Allen? lol, Lance Stephenson > Ray Allen, Granger is starting not coming off bench

Sollozzo
02-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Sweet!

Trader Joe
02-23-2013, 01:38 PM
I heard there was a secret Dan
That Vogel played and it pleased the fans
But you don't really care for the Pacers, do you?
It goes like this
The dunks, the threes
The Pistons fall, the Pacers lift
The baffled fans composing hallelujah....

HALLELUJAH
HALLELUJAH

xbox_fan36
02-23-2013, 01:44 PM
YES!

freeannyong
02-23-2013, 01:55 PM
:dance::dance::dance:

funk31
02-23-2013, 02:12 PM
agree with you, @Miami Heat are special team no comparison to Indiana and others

KingGeorge_24
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
http://youtu.be/RubBzkZzpUA
Heeeey!!

LuckSwagger
02-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm sure he'll start having "flu-like symptoms" right before tipoff.

diamonddave00
02-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Knock the rust off Danny like a used car on the road- then detail him for Tuesdays unvailing before the home crowd.

Dr. Awesome
02-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Heeeey!!

Started from the bottom? Dude was rich when he was a preteen. He was Jimmy Wheelchair on the Canadian Soap, Degrassi.

The Sleeze
02-23-2013, 03:07 PM
It goes like this
The dunks, the threes

HALLELUJAH
HALLELUJAH

All I can picture when I read this is the Nite Owl/Silk Spectre sex scene from Watchmen.....makes it weird.

BlueNGold
02-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Gerald Green might have to start buying some suits.

Gerald has calling that he's not answering. He should just come out at half time and perform dunks for the crowd.

Dr. Awesome
02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Wish it was last night, but I'm still stoked for tonight.

Hicks
02-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Gerald has calling that he's not answering. He should just come out at half time and perform dunks for the crowd.

I wonder how much money he could earn just doing half time shows at NBA games and showing up for other events the way Quick Change does?

Probably a decent living, yet still less than an NBA contract, I would guess.

yoadknux
02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss0rLZdbnE0

I didn't make this video, but I think watching it gives me some hype :)

Heisenberg
02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
I wonder how much money he could earn just doing half time shows at NBA games and showing up for other events the way Quick Change does?

Probably a decent living, yet still less than an NBA contract, I would guess.
Y'know, this is something I should look into. Get a monkey and teach it to ride my dog. I mean think about it, get to travel the country, gotta assume you get free tix for all the games you perform at. More importantly, you have a monkey that rides a dog! Don't imagine the benefits are very good though.

Hicks
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Scott Agness confirmed again he's playing tonight.

He also said he'll be coming off the bench for "the first few weeks" and then said:

"The team wanted to ensure 1) his knee responded well to numerous practices, 2) the schedule would allow him to ease back, a la no b-2-b."

Now, our next b2b is Thur the 28th and Friday the 1st, vs LAC and @TOR, so I think this means he will not play in one of those two games.

After that, the next b2b is not until the middle of the month, March 15th/16th, vs LAL and @ PHI. So probably the same deal then.

We then immediately have two more sets of b2b, 18/19th @CLE and vs ORL, then 22/23rd vs MIL and @CHI.

That covers the next month. Maybe around that time he can start playing in b2b's? Next one after that is 27/28th @HOU and @DAL.

Mo Tibbs
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Heeeey!!

I know it's off topic but that was horseshi. What the hell happened to Drake?

KingGeorge_24
02-23-2013, 04:29 PM
I just put that song because it gets me pumped and talking about the Pacers Starting from the bottom now we are here. Title Contenders.

Justin Tyme
02-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Last nights game marked the season is 2/3 over. I'm just not sure with 27 games to go is enough time to bring Lance in with the 2nd unit and expect great success, or Granger into the starting role with keeping the same chemistry and success. To me, the timing into the season just isn't ideal, earlier in the season would have been fine. Hope my concern ends up being nothing more than my concern.

Since86
02-23-2013, 05:19 PM
If that was true then why would any team with a shot want to make a move at the deadline? If there isn't enough time to get a player acclimated with a team, that has played his entire career in the same franchise, then why would they want to bring in complete strangers?

Sookie
02-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Last nights game marked the season is 2/3 over. I'm just not sure with 27 games to go is enough time to bring Lance in with the 2nd unit and expect great success, or Granger into the starting role with keeping the same chemistry and success. To me, the timing into the season just isn't ideal, earlier in the season would have been fine. Hope my concern ends up being nothing more than my concern.

If it doesn't work, Vogel will just switch them back..

BlueNGold
02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
If it doesn't work, Vogel will just switch them back..

Yes, and that would just generate controversy.

Danny cannot guard LeBron like PG can. Also, I do not want to see PG chasing Wade around. It's just a waste of his energy and talents.

We have a great matchup advantage with Miami. Why go back to what didn't get it done last year?

Let Danny destroy their backups when LeBron is off the floor. He should also backup West against the Heat. He is not the best choice to guard LeBron just as he wasn't last year.

BTW, there is a common misconception that our starters beat the Heat starters last year. That is not true at all.

Derek2k3
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Go pacers

I don't think it'll be Danny's call either way. He's never shown any indication of being stubborn/demanding a certain role. He had no problem deferring to David West from day one last season, he's been instrumental in the growth of guys like Roy and Paul, and I'm sure he'll accept whatever role the coaches determine he fits best in.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. Lance has seemingly flipped a switch and realizes he's unstoppable in the open court. The team has started going up-tempo while still feeding the post, and Lance will be successful in that system whether its Hill/PG/West/Roy or DJ/Tyler/Ian/Young.

Danny will play 30ish mpg (if he's healthy) and Lance will likely get 6th man minutes. Whichever is out there at the tip is irrelevant (In my opinion, of course.)

GO PACERS!

cgg
02-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Yes, and that would just generate controversy.

Danny cannot guard LeBron like PG can. Also, I do not want to see PG chasing Wade around. It's just a waste of his energy and talents.

We have a great matchup advantage with Miami. Why go back to what didn't get it done last year?

Let Danny destroy their backups when LeBron is off the floor. He should also backup West against the Heat. He is not the best choice to guard LeBron just as he wasn't last year.

BTW, there is a common misconception that our starters beat the Heat starters last year. That is not true at all.

I must be completely crazy for thinking that being up 2-1 against the Heat and being up on them until Danny got injured was something that was working! Silly me.

It sucks that we're going to do the exact same thing as last year and roll out Lou Amundson at center.

ilive4sports
02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
I think PG is a great defender, one of the best in the league, but where did this notion that he can defend LeBron well come from? In the 2 games we've played the Heat LeBron is averaging 25/8/3.5 on 51% shooting.

cgg
02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
I think PG is a great defender, one of the best in the league, but where did this notion that he can defend LeBron well come from? In the 2 games we've played the Heat LeBron is averaging 25/8/3.5 on 51% shooting.

LeBron averages 27.2/8.2/7 points on 56.7% shooting.

Hoop
02-23-2013, 06:02 PM
It goes like this
The dunks, the threes

HALLELUJAH
HALLELUJAH
I have no idea what this means, but I like it. :D

HALLELUJAH and pass the ball! :dance:

Derek2k3
02-23-2013, 06:03 PM

It should be noted that Lebron went 10-20, while only taking one 3 pointer. Therefore, Paul/Indiana held him to 47% in that game on 2 pointers, a stunning feat for a guy that doesn't take jumpers.

In the second game he was 8-14 on 2 pointers, a more typical 57%.

If PG can harass LeDouche like he did in that first game, Lebrons ability to dominate is significantly hindered. When he gets to the basket and makes his typical 60% he causes huge problems. If he's missing those shots, the Pacers will be able to defend that perimeter much better. Paul gives them that.

Cousy47
02-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Not sure this is the best time to have the Paul is way better than Danny ever was discussion. How about we just added a former all-star to the team at the deadline! I will be shocked if Danny coming back causes chemistry problems for this team.

Heisenberg
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Vogel said Granger will be first player off bench and play 15-20 minutes tonight vs Pistons</p>&mdash; Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/305458381907431424">February 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BlueCollarColts
02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Vogel said Granger will be first player off bench and play 15-20 minutes tonight vs Pistons</p> Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/305458381907431424">February 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
good, so that means his knee is feeling good and we are not just putting him out there just to put him there

Hicks
02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FRvDUejM6Hw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

**** yes.

Hicks
02-23-2013, 06:42 PM
By the way, guess who I've had stashed at the end of my fantasy team's roster all year waiting for this moment? :D

Heisenberg
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Sorta hoped he'd do it at home for the ovation, but oh well, not like he won't get a big standing O the first time he checks in at BLF. Wonder if he's doing it on the road to get his first minutes outta the way w/o all the hype of a home game. Wouldn't really blame him.

Sparhawk
02-23-2013, 06:49 PM

I thought you wrote secret sauces. While that didn't sound right, it made me very very hungry.

Trader Joe
Tuesday will still be a big ovation for him.

Pacerfan
Sorta hoped he'd do it at home for the ovation, but oh well, not like he won't get a big standing O the first time he checks in at BLF. Wonder if he's doing it on the road to get his first minutes outta the way w/o all the hype of a home game. Wouldn't really blame him.

I think he's probably scared of hurting the chemistry the guys have had out there and that's why he's delayed coming back. Probably wanted to make sure he fit in with the style the team is playing before getting out there.

cgg
02-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Who? This guy?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jzLABM0mJus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BlueNGold
02-23-2013, 07:32 PM

He disrupts LeBron's ability to get other guys involved. Paul is longer and hurts his ability to see the floor because LeBron has to avoid Paul getting his hands on the ball or intercepting a pass. What LeBron himself is averaging is important but that's not why LeBron is the best player in the league.

BlueNGold
02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
It should be noted that Lebron went 10-20, while only taking one 3 pointer. Therefore, Paul/Indiana held him to 47% in that game on 2 pointers, a stunning feat for a guy that doesn't take jumpers.

In the second game he was 8-14 on 2 pointers, a more typical 57%.

If PG can harass LeDouche like he did in that first game, Lebrons ability to dominate is significantly hindered. When he gets to the basket and makes his typical 60% he causes huge problems. If he's missing those shots, the Pacers will be able to defend that perimeter much better. Paul gives them that.

LeBron is going to get his points because he's also a great jump shooter. But if LeBron's reduced to a great jump shooter you have done a great, great, great job on him. It's when he dishes and provides team mates easy looks....now that's where LeBron will kill you.

CableKC
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
By the way, guess who I've had stashed at the end of my fantasy team's roster all year waiting for this moment? :D
Gerald Green?

vnzla81
02-24-2013, 02:31 PM
My expectations were low but not this low, not wonder why he wasn't ready to come back, I have seen some players come back from injury this year and he is so far the must rusty player out all of them, I don't even think he is 80% ready.

He told Wells last night that his knee is not 100% percent, here hoping he gets there soon.

DGPR
02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
I think Tuesday Danny will be more comfortable playing in front of the home crowd, and thus he will have a better performance. It's going to take a little time for him to figure out what his place in the offense will be.

cgg
02-24-2013, 03:05 PM
I think Tuesday Danny will be more comfortable playing in front of the home crowd, and thus he will have a better performance. It's going to take a little time for him to figure out what his place in the offense will be.

He did fine playing within the offense. He just didn't make the shots. Shooting isn't my concern. I'm confident that he'll be able to make shots.

aamcguy
02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
I honestly think he was just uncomfortable. There was one play where he tried to post up with Tyler on basically the exact same spot until he realized it, then just walked out to the corner again.

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
I thought Granger actually looked like he was moving pretty good --- better than I'm used to seeing him move over the past few years, in fact. I think taking the time off and letting his knee recover was good for him. He looked quicker and more spry, younger.

He moved well defensively and getting up and down the court. He did look rusty shooting the ball, but his form looked nice. I think nerves got to him, and it was reflected in his shooting performance, but that's okay. He had to get this game out of the way to get the nerves out. I think they planned to do it on the road to allow just that --- so that he didn't return in his first game in front of the home crowd and have a predictably rusty performance. I expect we'll see a better shooting performance from him on Tuesday, 10-12 points. I still think he needs to come off the bench for the foreseeable future, though... he needs to get back in game-shape, that's not going to happen in a week. They need to ease him slowly with the starters on the floor until that's all worked out.

Trader Joe
02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
My expectations were low but not this low, not wonder why he wasn't ready to come back, I have seen some players come back from injury this year and he is so far the must rusty player out all of them, I don't even think he is 80% ready.

He told Wells last night that his knee is not 100% percent, here hoping he gets there soon.

So what suggests a more ready knee... blocking two shots in succession or hitting a 3 pointer?

Pretty obvious for me.

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
I think part of his recovery will be just getting out and playing again, he probly means partially that it's not 100% strong yet, and that's only going to come with conditioning and play.

Ace E.Anderson
02-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Lol after you stole him from me

vnzla81
02-25-2013, 11:41 AM
So what suggests a more ready knee... blocking two shots in succession or hitting a 3 pointer?

Pretty obvious for me.

I also have a messed up knee right now and I can tell you that is easier to jump on one leg to block a shot than to jump on one leg to shoot a jumper, I'm not a professional athlete(of course) but saying that somebody's knee is OK because he was able to block two shots is not accurate, I mean how many shots JO blocked with one knee?

Shooting is harder to do with a bad knee in my opinion, is even harder for players that jump to shoot like Danny Granger does, now if he was a flat footed shooter like Manu, Kevyn Love and others you might have a point.

Trader Joe
02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
It's not so much that he blocked the shot. It is the fact that he blocked the shot, landed and immediately jumped again to challenge the shot. That is much tougher on someone with a gimpy knee than shooting a jumper. It is the quick landing and re-load time that suggests the knee is in pretty decent shape. Maybe not 100% but better than I expected. I remember the first time I went and shot around after my knee injury, not only was I slow on D, but my jumper was hilariously off.

DGPR
02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm not worried about how Danny looks right now, it's how he looks in May and June (hopefully) that has me interested.

aamcguy
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
He missed mutliple wide open jumpers, of which he's been shooting a lot of for quite a while. It doesn't have to be a result of a bad knee, it could just be a bad shooting night. He may be a little weak or stiff on the knee, but if it's bad enough to comment on I doubt they bring him back yet.

Derek2k3
02-25-2013, 12:07 PM
He missed mutliple wide open jumpers, of which he's been shooting a lot of for quite a while. It doesn't have to be a result of a bad knee, it could just be a bad shooting night. He may be a little weak or stiff on the knee, but if it's bad enough to comment on I doubt they bring him back yet.

To me, his jumper looked fine, elevation was good etc. It was 100% mental rust. He was indecisive, didn't take his time etc...all things that will rapidly be fixed through game action.

I was personally really happy with what I saw out of Danny. Knee looked strong, played aggressively, solid defense. When he's more comfortable in the offense he'll shoot with more confidence/make better decisions with the ball.

Hicks
02-25-2013, 12:27 PM

He seemed to have happy feet, to me. Wasn't setting is feet or was moving them when he normally would confidently just go into his shot with proper footwork. Came across as rust or nerves to me. Considering how he played D I'm inclined to think it's not the knee.

Besides, he was shooting well WITH THE BAD KNEE back in the preseason (immediately before they shut him down to rest it for several months), so I doubt it will suddenly be what causes him to not shoot well. I mean shooters can shoot well after retirement with bad bodies.