PDA

View Full Version : OT Computer to computer file transfer

SycamoreKen
12-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Sorry I have not been on more, incase I was missed, but my system has become very unstable and i can only get it to function for a few minutes at a time. That leads to my question:

Can I transfer files directly from one computer to another? If so, how do I do it and how hard is it? I don't need all of my stuff, just a few pictures and documents. I have been transferring using my dig. camera and my Palm, but the system freezes up after down loading about 10 files.

I would be transfering from an ME system to an XP one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GO!!!!!
12-21-2004, 09:01 PM
are you transferring from one pc to another.... ?? if so my smart bet would be to use the XP HD/PC as master HD and use your ME HD/old Pc as a slave and boot both HD's up on your new PC and then copy em one for one...

thats if you have 2 pc's if you have one... burn all the files maybee ? depends how unstable the beast is ??

hope this is a slight help, i'll check back and see if you need some more help

canyoufeelit
12-21-2004, 09:06 PM
network them

Anthem
12-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Note that you can't just plug an ethernet cable into both. You either need a "crossover" cable or a cheap 10/100 ethernet switch/hub/router.

May be easier and cheaper to burn CDs... or if you have an extra hard drive, copy everything to it and then attach it to the new PC.

Hoop
12-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Or good time to buy an external USB hard drive. They are pretty cheap these days and come in mighty handy.