PDA

View Full Version : Who is the backup PF on the roster next season?

Gamble1
02-22-2013, 07:01 PM
I am sure its been discussed before and I know this is a bit of a premature question but what do we do with the backup PF postion? Pendy and Tyler are both RFA at the end of the season and it seems like the emergence of Pendergraph could make Tyler not even worth retaining even if it means not extending a qualifing offer.

One of the reason I bring this up is that the team will be strapped for cash next year if they do end up resigning David West and everything from the FO is pointing toward us spending most of our cap on retaining him.

So who would you like to see on the team factoring in salary cap restrictions.

Pendergraph and possibly a better back up point guard to replace DJ or Tyler and possibly using the draft pick to address the backup point guard position?

Or the wildcard is not signing either Jeff or Tyler and going with a new backup PF like DJ Blair or another backup PF in FA.

joew8302
02-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Forget that question, I want to know who the starter will be! Sure hope we can retain West.

Gamble1
02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Forget that question, I want to know who the starter will be! Sure hope we can retain West.

I think its pretty clear that the Pacers have a good shot at retaining him if you just look at his options in free agency.

Who can spend what the Pacers can spend and be a playoff team? IF you do the research the list is pretty small.

joew8302
02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I think its pretty clear that the Pacers have a good shot at retaining him if you just look at his options in free agency.

Who can spend what the Pacers can spend and be a playoff team? IF you do the research the list is pretty small.

I hope your right. I have to admit I am nervous about it. I mean, I was pretty blindsided when Roy got his offer.

BornReady
02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I think we keep Tyler. Everybody needs a guy like that on their team!

Gamble1
02-22-2013, 07:18 PM

When you say "a guy like that" do you mean a guy who brings 100% every night?

If thats the case then would you say we have two of those guys in Jeff and Tyler? I look at Jeff as a slightly less skilled Tyler but with the same intensity level.

Nuntius
02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I want us to keep Tyler but I think that he will be a bit too expensive for us :(

cgg
02-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Miles Plumlee or Tyler Hansbrough. Is there another Hansbrough brother we can sign?

J7F
02-22-2013, 07:30 PM

Nobody want to play against Tyler Hansbrough... Nobody... Including our guys...

Seriously though... He is a large part of our physical identity... If we let him walk we had better replace him with another bruiser...

I'ld like to keep him at a reasonable cost... However, if someone like Charlotte overbids for him I'm out...

Gamble1
02-22-2013, 07:30 PM
I want us to keep Tyler but I think that he will be a bit too expensive for us :(

So what is too expensive to you? 4 mill or 6 mill?

Personally I think Tyler's value is right around what Carl Landry got last year which is his QO of around 4 million. Some team may give him a Taj Gibson type contract but I think even the Bulls would admit that Taj's contract was a mistake.

PaceBalls
02-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Tyler is a favorite and I love the full out hustle he brings, but the Pacers need to really start planning for Paul George's payday. That has to be the number 1 priority. If Tyler can fit in that budget, fine, but I think there are few players with a higher priority on the team such as Lance and David West.

rexnom
02-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Whoever is cheaper of Tyler and Jeff. Possibly neither. No sentimentality.

Sparhawk
02-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Plumlee or someone else.

Tyler and Penderstar. Nice knowing you, but bu-bye.

CableKC
His defense has somewhat improved....and although I hate that he takes WAY TOO MANY midrange jumpshots.....his ability to get Players into Foul Trouble AND get to the FT line in limited minutes is extremely underrated and often forgotten.

I am inclined to believe that the Pacers will keep Hansbrough as the backup PF and will match any offer that Hansbrough gets as long as it is reasonable.

OlBlu
I hope your right. I have to admit I am nervous about it. I mean, I was pretty blindsided when Roy got his offer.

Why? I think everyone in the NBA knew Hibbert would get that kind of offer. He is a big man with some skills, expecially on defense. They cost a lot of money. If Portland had not offered him someone else would have......:cool: ...

joew8302
02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Why? I think everyone in the NBA knew Hibbert would get that kind of offer. He is a big man with some skills, expecially on defense. They cost a lot of money. If Portland had not offered him someone else would have......:cool: ...

Obviously he was going to get paid. I was a tad bit surprised to the extent with which he did though. A good series vs. Miami probably sealed that deal though.

dgranger17
02-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Tyler is a favorite and I love the full out hustle he brings, but the Pacers need to really start planning for Paul George's payday. That has to be the number 1 priority. If Tyler can fit in that budget, fine, but I think there are few players with a higher priority on the team such as Lance and David West.

I agree. I love Tyler, but we just can't afford to match whatever offer it is that he gets in RFA. It's fairly obvious that Mr. Simon isn't willing to spend too much more than where the cap is at and with West re-signing (hopefully), we're going to be hugging that cap as it is. Will Simon want the extra $5-6 million a year Tyler will add on our payroll? Hopefully, but I'd guess not. It sure as hell doesn't help that we're basically wasting $3.5 million a year on Gerald Green for the next two seasons.

I'm personally in the (very small) camp of trying to win it all while staying at the cap or even below it. Again.. Gerald Green really hurts that dream, but Larry set this team up to succeed while also being the only team in the league succeeding without crossing that number the NBA releases every offseason. When it comes time to pay Paul, Danny is off the books. Our Big 3 will be George, Paul, and Roy. I'm a homer, but that's good enough to compete in the Eastern Conference Finals each and every year until those 3 retire. Plug in a solid $10 million a year David West type player, keep recycling the rookies when their contracts are up, don't waste almost $4 million of precious cap room on bench players who can't get off the bench, and winning without going over the cap is entirely possible. How great would that be? The Orlando Johnsons, Lance Stephensons, and Miles Plumlees of the world are all replaceable in one way or another. Keeping our 1st and 2nd rounders every year is a no-brainer when our team is relying heavily on the starters. I know Larry made it look really easy and this is all probably very wishful thinking, but if we continue to find solid guys late in the draft who can contribute while on their rookie deals and not overpay the wrong guys (and/or lock those wrong guys up to 3 year deals), we're set up for another 5+ years of winning starting with the Paul George extension. The Paul George extension is 2 years away. We competed with Miami last year. That's 8+ years of continued success with the right amount of luck, patience, and strategy. I don't understand how anybody can complain about anything right now as a Pacers fan (other than Gerald Green, obviously). Who gives a **** how many people are in Bankers Life during the regular season, as long we fill it up in the postseason. Who cares if we're not getting any national recognition. Who cares that the Executive of the Year award isn't named after the man who built what it is we get to enjoy for the next decade. Stop *****ing, crack open a cold one, and enjoy the ride.

I love you Larry.

OlBlu
02-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Why? He is going to be vastly overpaid for a player his age...... I think West is gone.....:cool: ...

Cousy47
02-22-2013, 08:34 PM
I think a lot of Pacer fans feel that West will give the Pacers a discount deal and he well may. However, I think you are going to see a pretty large pile offered to West, maybe even a "poison pill" type deal with the contract front or back loaded to scare the Pacers away. BTW, if he comes back healthy, Granger is not going to be a much smaller contract either. The Ps will really have to make some tough decisions the next 2 or 3 years.

Pacerized
02-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Moving forward I really hope we keep our core together which starts with siging West. No matter what Tyler has to wait until West is signed and if he gets a big offer in the meantime we have to let him walk. If we can sign West for 10-12 mil per year we have to do it I think we can. If that happens I hope to keep Tyler for less then 3 mil per year, if he gets a better offer good luck to him. This team need to keep a bench together for 12 mil or less the following summer. Green needs to go before then and Ian makes 4 mil alone. We can't afford to go after a free agent PF or a better backup pg. Let Lance have the backup pg minutes next year and draft for our future needs at these 2 spots.

dal9
02-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Miles Plumlee or Tyler Hansbrough. Is there another Hansbrough brother we can sign?

No, but there are other Plumlees out there...I think those other ones are supposed to actually be good, too!

As far as Hans, I will bet he does not get Landry $ (4 mil/per). Nor should he. $2, 2.5 per, you think about it. Otherwise gotta let him walk. Pendergraph will be lucky to get anything above the vet min.

Pacerized
I think a lot of Pacer fans feel that West will give the Pacers a discount deal and he well may. However, I think you are going to see a pretty large pile offered to West, maybe even a "poison pill" type deal with the contract front or back loaded to scare the Pacers away. BTW, if he comes back healthy, Granger is not going to be a much smaller contract either. The Ps will really have to make some tough decisions the next 2 or 3 years.

I don't think a poison pill contract is allowed for West but I do think both he and Granger will sign for their market value which should be between 10-12 mil per year for each player. Granger won't have a choice but to take a paycut, his market value is less then he currently makes.

J7F

I'm pretty sure he's not eligible for a poison pill contract...

OlBlu
02-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Who do people always think that a player will give the Pacers a discount deal? This is West's last big payday and he will want to make it count. Color West gone....:cool: ...

Gamble1
02-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Who do people always think that a player will give the Pacers a discount deal? This is West's last big payday and he will want to make it count. Color West gone....:cool: ...
You have to factor in how many teams are well under the cap and need a starting pf. Do that and you will find out that the market is pretty slim for his services. In addition you have guys like a young Milsap and Josh Smith that will soak up the FA money from those teams under the cap and need a starting pf.

OlBlu
02-22-2013, 10:07 PM
You have to factor in how many teams are well under the cap and need a starting pf. Do that and you will find out that the market is pretty slim for his services. In addition you have guys like a young Milsap and Josh Smith that will soak up the FA money from those teams under the cap and need a starting pf.

Then you are saying he won't get much of an offer. That is much different than giving the Pacers a discount. A discount would mean that he could have signed for more elsewhere.... I just don't think he will do that. :cool: ...

BlueCollarColts
02-22-2013, 10:54 PM
they said other teams actually did offer him that contract if I remember correctly

BlueCollarColts
02-22-2013, 10:57 PM
maybe West will give us a hometown discount and sign a 2 year 14 million dollar contract! :proud:

xbox_fan36
02-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Hopefully Tyler Hansbrough. I want to keep this team together.

Derek2k3
02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
I'd be happy paying Tyler $2.5M-$3.5M a year. 3/$8M seems fair. Maybe 3/$10M.

To put in perspective, Diaw is making $4.5M per, Speights $4.2M per, Landry $4M per, Jordan Hill $3.5M per.

All but Hill are starters, so I think that $4M number is a bit high.

I sure enjoy his energy/enthusiasm/physicality.

xIndyFan
02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm pretty sure he's not eligible for a poison pill contract...

He'e eligible for a $17M/yr contract. A team doesn't need to poison pill him, they can offer pretty much whatever they want. Plus he's an UFA. The poison pill contracts are for RFA when the current team can match the offer.

Since86
02-23-2013, 01:08 AM

No, but there's another Plumlee brother. If it was possible, I'd take him and just use Ian at the 4. NBA body, great rebounder, good shot blocker, extremely athletic. That's why it won't be possible though.

EDIT: Pendergraph is my answer to the question though. Gotta find savings somewhere, pretty good place to find some.

imbtyler
02-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Yeh! FREE DUNKLEE! I'd like to see our first round pick getting used as much as our second round pick. If he even practiced against the starters like he was a rotational 4/5 (as intense as Ian/Tyler would practice), then he would get better at reacting quicker, and timing his blocks/shots/dunks/hooks better. I really want Plumlee to be the Über-Tyler; the same intensity/energy/hustle, except taller and more athletic. It would be great if he made a turnaround by the end of the year, or by the playoffs, or by next season (especially since a lot of people don't expect him to make a turnaround EVER).

Also, I would be content with trading Miles for a draft pick that we would in turn use to draft Mason. Then, when they both turn into the Gasol brothers, we can say we were Memphis, and ended up with the better brother. #boosh

Until Plumlee pans out, however, I would be content with keeping Pendergraph over Hansbrough, if he can tone up his effectiveness/consistency. However, if we can keep Hansbrough for something less than $2m (yeh, I'm being cheap), then I say go for it. Otherwise, I would rather have that $2m going toward Paul George's extension, and the signing of someone we can actually call our future at the PF/PG spot (George Hill is still a SG in my heart, just like Paul will always be a SF).

Dgreenwell3
02-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Yeh! FREE DUNKLEE! I'd like to see our first round pick getting used as much as our second round pick. If he even practiced against the starters like he was a rotational 4/5 (as intense as Ian/Tyler would practice), then he would get better at reacting quicker, and timing his blocks/shots/dunks/hooks better. I really want Plumlee to be the Über-Tyler; the same intensity/energy/hustle, except taller and more athletic. It would be great if he made a turnaround by the end of the year, or by the playoffs, or by next season (especially since a lot of people don't expect him to make a turnaround EVER).

Also, I would be content with trading Miles for a draft pick that we would in turn use to draft Mason. Then, when they both turn into the Gasol brothers, we can say we were Memphis, and ended up with the better brother. #boosh

Until Plumlee pans out, however, I would be content with keeping Pendergraph over Hansbrough, if he can tone up his effectiveness/consistency. However, if we can keep Hansbrough for something less than $2m (yeh, I'm being cheap), then I say go for it. Otherwise, I would rather have that $2m going toward Paul George's extension, and the signing of someone we can actually call our future at the PF/PG spot (George Hill is still a SG in my heart, just like Paul will always be a SF).

If we can get Tyler for around 3/3.25 I say we do it

Strummer
02-23-2013, 01:44 AM
We can afford Tyler next year at his qualifying offer. But I doubt that we match if he gets a multi-year offer.

BornReady
02-23-2013, 01:49 AM
When you say "a guy like that" do you mean a guy who brings 100% every night?

If thats the case then would you say we have two of those guys in Jeff and Tyler? I look at Jeff as a slightly less skilled Tyler but with the same intensity level.

Not only that, but somebody who's intensity just...irritates the other team to no end. There are some players who are very intense but don't get under the skin of other NBA players the way Tyler does. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure most players just want to punch Tyler in the face when they play against him.

graphic-er
02-23-2013, 01:53 AM
They will let the market determine Tyler's next contract. For what he does, he is still a very limited player. Pacer's have a number they wont go above. They want him back, but they won't over pay when they have Pendy waiting in the wings.

Heisenberg
02-23-2013, 01:55 AM
I don't think he's currently on the roster. I think they try and give Hans his qualifying offer and play out his last year on it but he gets an offer that's out of our range, say 4/22-ish and we let him walk because matching would mean there's basically no hope of keeping Danny as a FA, and we hit the bargain bin, maybe a Hansbrough sign and trade. Could be Pendergraph I guess, but I hope not.

But either way, we really, really need to try and dump Green's 3rd contract year. I'm not 100% sold he's a lost cause, but like 75%. And cash strapped as we are just losing $3.5 mil of capspace really hurts.

Pacerized
02-23-2013, 02:11 AM
I don't think he's currently on the roster. I think they try and give Hans his qualifying offer and play out his last year on it but he gets an offer that's out of our range, say 4/22-ish and we let him walk because matching would mean there's basically no hope of keeping Danny as a FA, and we hit the bargain bin, maybe a Hansbrough sign and trade. Could be Pendergraph I guess, but I hope not.

But either way, we really, really need to try and dump Green's 3rd contract year. I'm not 100% sold he's a lost cause, but like 75%. And cash strapped as we are just losing $3.5 mil of capspace really hurts.

I agree that Green has to go as soon as possible and no later then the summer after next. I guess they could give Tyler the qualifying offer for just the one year and still be just under the LT after letting DJ walk and bringing in our first and 2cd round picks but that would assume the West signs for 12 mil or less. I'd think they just leave Tyler as a cap hold until they make sure West is signed then hopefully give him a multi year offer in the 2.5-3 mil range. If we need a bench at 12 mil the following year and have 4 on Ian and 2.5 on Tyler I doubt if we could keep Lance.
They could always try to move Ian and Green together if Plumlee develops. Hard choices have to be made the summer after next.

rexnom
02-23-2013, 02:51 AM
It's not about Tyler's value. It's about the amount of money we have or will have to commit to our top 7. The rest of the roster will be filled out by rookie contracts and one year deals. Get ready to see a lot of Plumlee/Johnson-type picks over the next few years.

Justin Tyme
02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
No, but there are other Plumlees out there...I think those other ones are supposed to actually be good, too!

Miles' brother Mason is playing really well at Duke this year. He's a better player than Miles, same as IU's Cody Zeller is better than his NBA brothers Luke and Tyler.

Justin Tyme
02-23-2013, 12:29 PM
All but Hill are starters,

That's not true, none of Diaw, Landry, or Speights are starters. They are all getting their PT off the bench.

Hicks
02-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Wouldn't shock me to see us go budget and try to re-sign Pendergraph and have Miles be the 'on deck' big man the way Jeff has been this year.