PDA

View Full Version : Lance is Our X-Factor

mitchbr
02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Watching some Lance Stephenson videos on Youtube the past couple days, so many Miami "fans" hate him and talking about how he deserved to get taken out by Pittman last year. His role fits this team perfectly. We've got the bigs that can beat and bang, a fluid scorer in PG, and George Hill directing the assault. Lance coming in as the quick, elusive, in your face baller makes this team so dangerous.

I can't wait for his chance against Miami in the playoffs. Just a gut feeling, it will be poetic justice he goes into American Airlines Arena and dominates a pivotal game.

That is all, let's go beat up on Detroit.

RamBo_Lamar
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Besides being a naturally talented player, Lance does seem to be a disruptor with a knack
for getting into the opponents' heads. I think the rest of the team feeds off of that and
it helps give them swagger.

I really like the angle he brings, and hope our coaches encourage him to keep exploring
the limits of how far he can push things (including pushing his rivals' buttons).

SMosley21
02-22-2013, 02:38 PM
When Lance was on with Grady & Big Joe today, they asked him about his ability to get into his opponents heads. They went as far as to say Lance has a little Reggie in his game, in that regard. Lance owned up to it, but in a professional way. Had he gotten this reputation a couple years ago I don't think we would have heard such a mature response from him. I was not a very big fan of Lance the first year, started coming around to him a little last season, but this season I am ALL IN for Lance. I think the front office needs to start talking new contracts with both him and PG this summer.

here's the interview...

http://www.1070thefan.com/gradyandjoe/podcast.aspx

Go down to Segment 5 from today (thanks to our own Day-V as always)

Sookie
02-22-2013, 03:03 PM
I won't lie, I softened on Lance a tad last season, when he held up the choke signal for Lebron.

I think it's kind of fun to have an irritating player on your team. Other fans hate him. (Noah..) I just hope Lance's annoyance doesn't result in a Wade attack.

HC
02-22-2013, 03:05 PM
I was pretty critical of Lance the first year or so after he was drafted. That is probably why I love him so much now. I am glad he has proven so many of us wrong. He is up there with PG as my favorite player, but really I love this entire team right now.

spazzxb
02-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I won't lie, I softened on Lance a tad last season, when he held up the choke signal for Lebron.

I think it's kind of fun to have an irritating player on your team. Other fans hate him. (Noah..) I just hope Lance's annoyance doesn't result in a Wade attack.

I'm sure a couple of years being a good citizen didn't hurt either.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

BigPFan
02-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I was among those that thought he'd never make it. Not just because of attitude but his game. He's become such a better player, while growing up at the same time.
Nicely done Lance.
LOVE having a monster strong, athletic, big guard to beat up on guys. You can bet Reggie would have loved to play with him. ;)
Happy to be wrong about him.

dohman
02-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Lance has to score 12-15 ppg for our offense to be at its best. If he can be consistent then yes he is our xfactor. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and wants to be friends with no one on the opposing team. He does all the little things you look for in the basketball players and realizes that the game is 90% mental. The way he plays causes dumb fouls on his opponents and is slick enough to get away with small cheap shots the irriate the hell out of the opposing team.

His ability to catch the ball on the rebound and put pressure on the transition defense is his best trait. The NY game was a prime example, he caught the rebound and was down the court so fast that kidd had no idea he was coming and simply had to foul him. He plays his role perfectly and seems like a great teammate. In the future he will be a great starting 2 guard and a perfect robin to PG.

imawhat
02-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I just hope Lance's annoyance doesn't result in a Wade attack.

Too late. Wade already elbowed Lance in the face in their last game. But, in typical Wade fashion, he did it in a way that went mostly unnoticed (except for Lance and David West).

Pacersalltheway10
02-22-2013, 05:45 PM
When Lance took the elbow from Pittman in the throat and didn't fall down, that's when Lance had me. Actually it was pretty easy to predict a good year from him when Granger went down.

Sookie
02-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Too late. Wade already elbowed Lance in the face in their last game. But, in typical Wade fashion, he did it in a way that went mostly unnoticed (except for Lance and David West).

I'm shocked Wade would do such a thing.

edit: Sure, being "a good citizen for a few years" helps. But he'll have to prove that for more than a few years. I'm not as high on Lance as a lot of people are here, basketball wise. But if he's really matured (and it seems like he has) that's more impressive..and job well done by the Pacers organization, Frank, Clark, and most importantly Lance. I don't think he turns into a good NBA player anywhere else (except maybe San Antonio, but even then..they likely cut him after the girlfriend incident..or don't take the risk in the first place.)

Lance is like..the 1 out of 100 players who manages to take his flashy but lack of fundamentals into a structured team game. And he's probably 1 out of 100 of guys who..with his history..actually manage to turn it around. The risk was huge. It's nice to see that Lance seems to be the exception to the rule.

But I like, as that one article pointed out that Lance is "the right kind of idiot." I like that he'd challenge Lebron and not think twice about it. He's not afraid of those guys.

beezer615
02-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Anyone else scared of him losing his mojo and drive if moved to the bench when granger comes back?

McKeyFan
02-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Anyone else scared of him losing his mojo and drive if moved to the bench when granger comes back?

Not me.

I'm concerned that the starting unit will struggle to find it's mojo.

Cousy47
02-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm actually not worried too much about either of those problems. I think Frank and his coaches will keep a close eye on the chemistry and adjust as needed. I figure it will take PG a couple of games to stop kowtowing to DG and just play his game, but Danny will hustle that along by working with PG like he has every day since PG got here. By next month, IMO, Danny and Paul will be starting with Lance, OJ, Tyler and Ian coming off the bench. 2or 3 starters on the floor at all times and the beat will just go on.

BlueNGold
02-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Not me.

I'm concerned that the starting unit will struggle to find it's mojo.

Perimeter shooting isn't enough to upset a great starting unit. I don't believe we can be a better team with Lance going to the bench. He does need to mature further, but he adds a dimension that we lack otherwise. I honestly don't believe that swapping Granger in for Lance will ever make the team better. Not this year. Not next year. Not ever.

Sookie
02-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Out of curiosity, who do you all advocate for finishing close games?

Because I can't see Granger being the one to sit. Nor can I see our PG being the one to sit, Paul being the one to sit, West being the one to sit.

Only possibility is Hibbert. But then we're sitting the anchor of our defense. (Granted, if we need offense, that could be the way to go.)

I think in most cases our closing lineup is going to be Hill, PG, Danny, West, Hibbert. So they should start.

But yes, this is what I mean by others are much higher on him than I am. My concern with Lance isn't that he's going to lose his "mojo." He won't. My concern is that he's not going to adjust well to being the head of the offense, rather than filling in the gaps. But it's only a small concern. Particularly since he has good chemistry with Tyler, and OJ seems like he'd be a natural fit with Lance.

Heisenberg
02-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Guess I can just stick this here, it's an And 1 ad with Lance in the current issue of Slam Magazine

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6407/lanceand12.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1969/lanceand1.jpg)

click it for full size, hopefully I did that right

PaceBalls
02-22-2013, 11:47 PM
And 1 makes the most comfy sweatpants ever.

SMosley21
02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Here are some close-ups of Lance's signature shoe with And1. They're called the LS1, and I think they're pretty solid looking basketball shoes.

http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/photo_1.jpg
http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/photo_2.jpg
http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/photo_3.jpg

graphic-er
02-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Good for lance! Gets his own shoe ad and everthing. He is quickly becoming my favorite player. As Grady says on the radio, he brings the juice.

mitchbr
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
There's even an LS on the shoe, cool.

If you listened to that 1070 interview, he brings it up himself that he's looking forward to giving the second unit a new energy and a new threat at both ends. Great attitude from a very good, if not someday great player.

pizza guy
02-23-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm still coming around on Lance. Granted, that's probably because I don't have the opportunity to watch every game like most of the board does. I think moving him to the bench will be great for him. I really like the DJ, OJ, Lance, Tyler, Ian group. A lot of hustle, offensive styles that compliment each other, and plenty of energy. Plus, it gives Lance the ability to play his game.

And in the playoffs, we can shorten the rotation by limiting DJ, OJ, and Tyler, allowing Lance to be the sixth man while shuffling the starters according to lineups. Our versatility between PG, DG, and Lance is crazy.

Hicks
02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Perimeter shooting isn't enough to upset a great starting unit. I don't believe we can be a better team with Lance going to the bench. He does need to mature further, but he adds a dimension that we lack otherwise. I honestly don't believe that swapping Granger in for Lance will ever make the team better. Not this year. Not next year. Not ever.

You do realize we had the best 5-man unit in the league last year, right? You also realize that as the 6th man Lance will still see his minutes and still spend time with the other starters, right? You realize our bench could also use him, right? And lastly, you do realize there is more to Danny Granger than jump shots, right?

Danny coming back is ALL GOOD.

Hicks
02-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Out of curiosity, who do you all advocate for finishing close games?

Because I can't see Granger being the one to sit. Nor can I see our PG being the one to sit, Paul being the one to sit, West being the one to sit.

Only possibility is Hibbert. But then we're sitting the anchor of our defense. (Granted, if we need offense, that could be the way to go.)

I think in most cases our closing lineup is going to be Hill, PG, Danny, West, Hibbert. So they should start.

But yes, this is what I mean by others are much higher on him than I am. My concern with Lance isn't that he's going to lose his "mojo." He won't. My concern is that he's not going to adjust well to being the head of the offense, rather than filling in the gaps. But it's only a small concern. Particularly since he has good chemistry with Tyler, and OJ seems like he'd be a natural fit with Lance.

When we need a bucket, I can't wait to see us get some reps in with Hill, Lance, George, Danny, and West. Teams can have fun trying to guard that. If it's late and close, you could keep swapping Roy and Lance or Roy with Danny depending on the size matchups, I suppose.

BlueNGold
02-23-2013, 11:52 AM
You do realize we had the best 5-man unit in the league last year, right? You also realize that as the 6th man Lance will still see his minutes and still spend time with the other starters, right? You realize our bench could also use him, right? And lastly, you do realize there is more to Danny Granger than jump shots, right?

I think we can use Danny with the starters or the bench. I do think it's all good. But I think if Lance Stephenson meets his potential he brings more to the table. We shall see how this develops.

imawhat
02-23-2013, 12:00 PM

I hope so. You never know, some guys just play better if they start. So far that's all Lance has shown us. At least he has the right attitude.

imawhat
02-23-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm shocked Wade would do such a thing.

Without the green, I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Lance George
02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
What's the jury on just how good Lance can be? Some of the moves and the passes he pulls off are incredible, and the energy and speed he plays at is two levels above most players. A high skill-level coupled with passion is a very promising combination.

Personally, I think 15/5/5 (basically, George Hill's current level) is the lower-end of his potential.

Jon Theodore
02-23-2013, 01:11 PM
What's the jury on just how good Lance can be? Some of the moves and the passes he pulls off are incredible, and the energy and speed he plays at is two levels above most players. A high skill-level coupled with passion is a very promising combination.

Personally, I think 15/5/5 (basically, George Hill's current level) is the lower-end of his potential.

I agree. It still amazes me people doubt Lance at this point. His raw talent is undeniable.

Hicks
02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
I have no doubts about his talent. I still have doubts about his maturity. He is in the absolute best possible situation in the league for him right now. What happens when it becomes less than ideal? Let me put it this way, I doubt we ever see this from him if he was a Sacramento King the last 3 years.

Eddie Gill
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
With the emergence of Lance and (to a lesser extent) OJ, we might be getting the most value out of second rounders in the entire league. Kudos to this front office!

Sookie
02-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Without the green, I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Hahaha..

There isn't a shade of green that represents just how sarcastic that point was.