PDA

View Full Version : Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

MagicRat
02-22-2013, 02:07 PM
was one year ago yesterday. UB had asked at some point for some video of the big fella from last year, so here are highlights of that game.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H7GmXM3mKeM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Man those Hornets jerseys are hideous

The Big Smooth
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Man those Hornets jerseys are hideous

I like the Mardi Gras jerseys. I like when teams have alternates that reflect the character of their city. Charlotte uses a checkered flag design on the side of their jerseys when there is a Nascar race in town. Miami uses all-white to honor the douchebags that go to South Beach clubs in all-white suits.

Unclebuck
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
OK I watched about 30 seconds and it is clear to me even in that length of time that Roy was running, jumping, moving much better last year than this. I think it is rather a large difference. He almost doesn't look like the same player. That IMO is why he is struggling to score this year.

The question I have is why? has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.

Just watched more of it, I think is is a remarkable difference.

Anyone disagree with me

TinManJoshua
02-22-2013, 02:32 PM
OK I watched about 30 seconds and it is clear to me even in that length of time that Roy was running, jumping, moving much better last year than this. I think it is rather a large difference. He almost doesn't look like the same player. That IMO is why he is struggling to score this year.

The question I have is why? has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.

Just watched more of it, I think is is a remarkable difference

He did try to put on some extra muscle in the offseason in an attempt to make it harder for him to be pushed off the block.

aamcguy
02-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Anyone disagree with me

Not at all. It looks like he's lost a lot of his flexibility that he had last year. He used to have problems with this, maybe he relaxed and has been spending less time working on his flexibility .

billbradley
02-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Anyone disagree with me

I think it's the wrist. I haven't seen him palm the ball and one hand jam this season. It's at 19 seconds.

Eindar
02-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Anyone disagree with me

It would be interesting to see how many centers have had their career high in points against Kaman. He's a defensive sieve, and really wasn't playing for anyone but himself and his next contract last year.

Second, a lot of those 30 points were on putbacks and dunks. Putbacks are a result of your defender not boxing out, and has very little to do with your ability on the offensive end. Dunks depend on where you caught the ball. I see Roy catching the ball much deeper in the post than he does this year. Part of that is Kaman letting him get down there without a fight. The longer, more drawn out post plays were later in the game, and by that point Roy had his confidence at a high level.

He did see to be more "active" in that game from last year, so there could be a small injury, but I think it's got more to do with who Roy was playing than how Roy was playing.

MillerTime
02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
he looks a lot more active and less luggy

Pingu
02-22-2013, 02:51 PM
He did try to put on some extra muscle in the offseason in an attempt to make it harder for him to be pushed off the block.

Great idea! This strategy has worked great for Jermaine O'Neal in the past. Oh, wait...

Unclebuck
02-22-2013, 02:57 PM
I think it's the wrist. I haven't seen him palm the ball and one hand jam this season. It's at 19 seconds.

so his wrist is impacting his running, jumping, quickness, overall athletic ability?

Trader Joe
02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Let's not talk about this. Too painful.

Nuntius
02-22-2013, 03:00 PM
has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.

I think that he has definitely added some upper body muscle / weight. I don't think he has added lower body muscle / weight to go with it, though.

Trader Joe
02-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Biggest thing I noticed, his shoulder fake to hook shot move is a lot quicker and more fluid in this video than it has been at any point this season. Really his shoulder fakes in general are just much better last season than they are now. He used that to create space for hooks and to get over someone for dunks. Now his shoulder fakes look a tad slow, too easy to defend.

Hoop
02-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Anyone disagree with me
I remember when they tried to have Smits put on extra weight, it was not pretty, probably the worst time of Rik's career.

Larry Brown came in an immediately had him lose weight and he was much better after that. I think technique and balance are more important than bulk for posting up and holding position.

Trader Joe
02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Lift also doesn't look good compared to last year. Maybe too much upper body weight with not enough leg work put in to counter it.

Unclebuck
02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
I remember when they tried to have Smits put on extra weight, it was not pretty, probably the worst time of Rik's career.

Larry Brown came in an immediately had him lose weight and he was much better after that. I think technique and balance are more important than bulk for posting up and holding position.

I have never been in favor of any player ever "bulking up" on purpose. As a player ages, they will naturally get a little thicker. especially as they go from a 21 year old to a 25 year old.

I would hope the Pacers have shown a breakdown of tapes to Roy so he can see the difference.

I suspected this, but having now seen this video I am shocked at how striking the difference is

Derek2k3
02-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Biggest thing I noticed, his shoulder fake to hook shot move is a lot quicker and more fluid in this video than it has been at any point this season. Really his shoulder fakes in general are just much better last season than they are now. He used that to create space for hooks and to get over someone for dunks. Now his shoulder fakes look a tad slow, too easy to defend.

I thought his hook shot had started to come around, and in fact he hit a nice one against the Knicks. Just too bad the big fella was in that foul trouble, it really felt like he was about to go off for 20-30 points.

Trader Joe
02-22-2013, 03:18 PM
I thought his hook shot had started to come around, and in fact he hit a nice one against the Knicks. Just too bad the big fella was in that foul trouble, it really felt like he was about to go off for 20-30 points.

He's maybe been hitting it a little more, but he's still nto creating the same amount of space. If that makes sense.

PaceBalls
02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
He does look much heavier, I noticed it right away at the start of the season. This video is proof. he is much quicker player in that clip.

I'm pretty sure the weight gain was intentional, but it was obviously a bad idea. I hope he rethinks that strategy and slims down to at least last years weight and works on fitness over bulk muscle mass in the off-season.

MyFavMartin
02-22-2013, 03:58 PM
It would be interesting to see how many centers have had their career high in points against Kaman. He's a defensive sieve, and really wasn't playing for anyone but himself and his next contract last year.

Second, a lot of those 30 points were on putbacks and dunks. Putbacks are a result of your defender not boxing out, and has very little to do with your ability on the offensive end. Dunks depend on where you caught the ball. I see Roy catching the ball much deeper in the post than he does this year. Part of that is Kaman letting him get down there without a fight. The longer, more drawn out post plays were later in the game, and by that point Roy had his confidence at a high level.

He did see to be more "active" in that game from last year, so there could be a small injury, but I think it's got more to do with who Roy was playing than how Roy was playing.

A lot of those baskets by Roy are created by his teammates on drives, so NOLA's wings sure weren't doing Chris any favors by making him rotate and leaving Hibbert alone on the offensive glass... Props to DC and PG. Roy does seem quicker and more decisive in the post in the video. Confidence of some bunnies helped, I'm sure. Roy's defense though, this year has been stellar. I've always wondered about his wrist this year.

SMosley21
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Seems like a lifetime ago.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM

He did see to be more "active" in that game from last year, so there could be a small injury, but I think it's got more to do with who Roy was playing than how Roy was playing.I don't understand your point. Are you actually disputing that Roy was a better offensive player last year, or just saying this game is a bad example?

I've been thinking all year that Roy looked out-of-shape. He has talked about conditioning problems early in his career and I thought that's what we were seeing again. Hopefully it was intentional weight gain, if it was it should be all that much easier to get rid of.

billbradley
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
so his wrist is impacting his running, jumping, quickness, overall athletic ability?

Well yeah, you're watching a video where Hibby is scoring and eager to get the ball and go to the basket.

You don't think confidence impacts running, jumping, quickness and athleticism on offense?

Unclebuck
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
You don't think confidence impacts running, jumping, quickness and athleticism on offense?

Not nearly as much as gaining 20 lbs

Hoop
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Well yeah, you're watching a video where Hibby is scoring and eager to get the ball and go to the basket.

I think confidence has made it much worse and that is a good point. He's certainly not as fluid with his hook shoot and post moves, confidence and weight could effect both. I do believe it starts or started with being thicker and a bit slower.

gummy
02-22-2013, 04:47 PM
There was a lot of press about Roy putting on muscle in the off-season to better hold his position in the paint - including a lot of lower body exercises. For awhile he was working out immediately after games in an attempt to keep the extra weight on during the course of the season - not sure if he is still doing that, I haven't seen anything reported about his routine in months.

I understand why it was done but it's pretty clear that it needs to be undone. For a guy who is slow and awkward to begin with, agility and balance is where it's at. Both have been impacted by the weight gain. When you add in the wrist injury and the exercise induced asthma (I know - last we heard it was controlled. But as someone who has this, "controlled" does not mean it doesn't impact you), then add in the fact that Roy is an emotional player (awesome when he gets it going, otherwise not so much) and top it off with the fact that guys are getting away with a little more pushing and holding on Roy than they did last season...

Well, you can see how things can quickly snowball. The good news is that the weight gain is reversible and the wrist injury, I'm assuming, will heal eventually if it hasn't already. The exercise induced asthma will probably keep him from ever regularly playing 40+ minutes a game. With the asthma and his size we ought to be thrilled if he ever averages 35-38 minutes. But I think he can become last year's Roy again and once he is on track his (offensive) ceiling might be a wee bit higher than last year's Roy.

I'm not happy about the offensive regression at all. But I am impressed that despite all of the above Roy has become a very good defensive player. I do wonder when he loses the weight how it will impact him on D - specifically his ability to absorb contact with people hurling themselves into him while he jumps straight up into the air. That extra chest muscle certainly helps him deal with that.

PaceBalls
02-22-2013, 07:35 PM
I wish we could compare his actual weight to last year. What the teams list for the players attributes are usually not very accurate or they are a couple years old. I think he looks like he has gained more than 20 pounds. Maybe even 30 or 40.

Revikan
02-22-2013, 11:05 PM
if you want my honest opinion, its that muscle pharm stuff hes taking... check out his twitter

Hicks
02-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Roy was still getting shoved around pretty good, though. That doesn't seem to happen as much this year.

SMosley21
02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
His foul troubles seem to be rearing their ugly head again.