PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with the arbitrator right now

Unclebuck
12-20-2004, 06:16 PM
I want your opinion.

Why the delay in the arbitrator's ruling?

Is it just a time issue, the arbitrator wants to make "the right" decision so he is not going to rush this until he has all the research together. Plus with it being Christmas, maybe he had some shopping to do.

or

Could it be he is negotiating with the league and the players union. Now that I mention that, can he even do something like that. I did not think the league even recognized him as a finder of fact.

Any other theories. I would think he has to rule sometime in the next two days.

Lord Helmet
12-20-2004, 07:19 PM
I have no clue.I would hope that it would be because of some sort of compromise between him and the NBA.I would expect to hear something before the X-mas day game.

Doug
12-20-2004, 07:20 PM
I expect there is some type of back-channel negotiation going on between the players association and herr Stern.

How many games has JO missed so far?

Hicks
12-20-2004, 07:40 PM
I want your opinion.

Why the delay in the arbitrator's ruling?

Is it just a time issue, the arbitrator wants to make "the right" decision so he is not going to rush this until he has all the research together. Plus with it being Christmas, maybe he had some shopping to do.

or

Could it be he is negotiating with the league and the players union. Now that I mention that, can he even do something like that. I did not think the laegue even recognized him as a finder of fact.

Any other theories. I would think he has to rule sometime in the next two days.
Either he's taking his sweet time, or there might be some negotiating going on between the league and him, or perhaps the league and the Pacers, that, if a compromise can be reached, can negate this whole thing now rather than having it drag out.

Hicks
12-20-2004, 07:41 PM
I expect there is some type of back-channel negotiation going on between the players association and herr Stern.

How many games has JO missed so far?
He's missed 14 games now.

Kegboy
12-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Actually, he's waiting until I go to Michigan tomorrow, so I won't be around to discuss his ruling. Kaplan's always been a sneaky *******. ;)

Doug
12-20-2004, 08:37 PM
He's missed 14 games now.

15 is a nice, round number. JO sits tomorrow, then he's back.

Unclebuck
12-20-2004, 08:38 PM
If he were negotiating with the players union and the NBA, wouldn't that info get out, between all the agents and league officials, I think the info would leak.

Bball
12-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Maybe he's waiting on the final offer for any bribes being sent his way? :devil:

-Bball

Unclebuck
12-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Maybe he's waiting on the final offer for any bribes being sent his way? :devil:

-Bball

I'll throw some $$$ in.

Anthem
12-20-2004, 09:05 PM
I'll throw some $$$ in.

You may be joking, but I'm not.

I want JO back on Christmas day.

Lord Helmet
12-20-2004, 09:15 PM
I want JO back on Christmas day. We all do but realisticly what are the chances he would?I think it would make sense for the NBA to have JO back on X-mas day.(Rating wise at least)

Deadshot
12-20-2004, 09:22 PM
By the way they are advertising it (or rather, have failed to advertise it), its almost as if they don't want many people to watch it.

grace
12-20-2004, 09:28 PM
I haven't seen one commerical for our game. However, I have seen that stinkin' commerical for the game on ABC so much I'm gonna :puke:

Deadshot
12-20-2004, 09:38 PM
I've seen it advertised once, but it wasn't a commercial (it was during another basketball game). I honestly don't think they have a commercial for it. The ABC promo is catchy though, lol...

able
12-20-2004, 10:42 PM
The longer it takes, the more likely it is he has ruled himself justified for hearing the case, in that case he needs(ed) more time to also rule on the matter at hand.

If he hasd ruled himself out of jurisdiction he would have needed less time.

Chances that there are talk going on between the Union and NBA are legit, chances that Kaplan is involved are low, but it could be, depending on whether he is arbitrating or arbitrating :)

mmxx
12-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Just for the fun of it,

if you had to pick from one of the following two outcomes, but not both, which one would you pick?

1. JO comes back for Christmas day game, even SJax gets to come back a little earlier, but Ron's out for the year

2. JO and SJax serve out, but Ron gets to play in the playoffs

after done typing I think the answer would be a little too easy

Hicks
12-20-2004, 10:55 PM
It would depend on what mood I was in, mmxx. :laugh:

SoupIsGood
12-20-2004, 11:18 PM
It would depend how many games Ron plays before the playoffs starts.

Bball
12-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Just for the fun of it,

if you had to pick from one of the following two outcomes, but not both, which one would you pick?

1. JO comes back for Christmas day game, even SJax gets to come back a little earlier, but Ron's out for the year

I'd go with #1 because we'd have more of a known commodity and I don't think the team needs the worry about when the next Artest moment is coming (even if it never came I can't imagine they could put it out of their minds). And even if they could, what happens if he would have another Artest moment??? Would the team be able to regroup and shrug it off or would that derail whatever they were able to make of the season to that point? Artest being back on the court will be a distraction and back in time for the playoffs just wouldn't be enough time to get in a comfort zone with him IMHO.

Of course if he was to come back and the Pacers have a pre-arranged trade then that is different...

-Bball

fwpacerfan
12-21-2004, 08:30 AM
I think there are some negotiations going on and I think they revolve around Kaplan NOT making a decision until after the Christmas day game. Stern doesn't want the Lakers/Heat game being overshadowed by a ruling. I think he could go along with Kaplan's decision if it comes after that.

Unclebuck
12-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Just for the fun of it,

I will try to answer this objectively. I would take #2. Because the goal is to win a championship, not to win as many regular season games as possible. Having Ron for the playoffs gives the Pacers their best chance to win it all. Of course there are other issues involved, but I won't get into those here

sixthman
12-21-2004, 08:49 AM
I don't think the Pacers can win a championship this season without Artest. If Ron comes back, I think we have a shot at winning it all. So, bball is right. It's a no brainer. Get Ron back!

able
12-21-2004, 08:54 AM
With our FULL Nov. 1 line-up incl. Ron, and Curry/Haislip minus Edwards, we would be odds on favorite for the title, so the answer is easy: 2

fwpacerfan
12-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Just for the fun of it,

#2 for 2 reasons - 1. Ron will be on his best behavior for at least 2 months after he comes back and 2. it would liven things up around here!

Doug in CO
12-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Number 2 - I don't care if the suspension is for 72 games instead of 73 - I want him back for the playoffs.

Okay - maybe more than one regular season game to get the timing down... but you get the point.

The longer this 'no decision' goes, the more likely I think the issue is Artest - we are getting close to the point (especially for JO) where the time has almost been served, and what is the point (other than money).

beast23
12-21-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm mixed on which option I'd choose.

I believe we need Artest to win the championship. And I think he probably would be on his best behavior for 2 months. So, having him back might win us a title.

But even though we might win the title, considering a possible "cure" for Artest, it might be the worst thing that could happen.

Assuming that Artest is getting some form of help, the best thing for him might be to sit out the entire year while getting the help he needs. That way, there is at least a chance, as small as it may be, that he could continue his career without additional major episodes.

Doug
12-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Best scenario: We get Artest back for a couple weeks of the regular season and the playoffs. Ron plays to his potential with no incidents. Pacers win the championship.

Then we trade him for near-equal value over the summer. :-)

Doug in CO
12-21-2004, 12:18 PM
No one is trading anything valuable for him - I think we are stuck with him - which if a miracle happens and his head gets right, is a good thing

Los Angeles
12-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Best scenario: We get Artest back for a couple weeks of the regular season and the playoffs. Ron plays to his potential with no incidents. Pacers win the championship.

Then we trade him for near-equal value over the summer. :-)

And it all happens from a magical Chocolate factory in space! ;)

ABADays
12-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Interesting avatar.

Doug in CO
12-21-2004, 12:49 PM
What is with that - is that you LA?

Los Angeles
12-21-2004, 01:04 PM
It's Lindsay Lohan.

Doug in CO
12-21-2004, 01:04 PM
No clue - not sure I am missing anything

Los Angeles
12-21-2004, 01:10 PM
This might help:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/lohan.asp

Doug
12-21-2004, 01:40 PM
And it all happens from a magical Chocolate factory in space! ;)

Pretty much. I said "best", not "likely" or even "realistic". :-)

Doug
12-22-2004, 11:51 AM
15 is a nice, round number. JO sits tomorrow, then he's back.

:champions

I coudn't find a "patting myself on the back" smilie.