PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed there was no trade? This should cheer you up!

naptownmenace
02-21-2013, 05:11 PM
This really got me excited!

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8970512&s=espn

Listen to Colin Cowherd and Tom Penn discuss the Pacers. They start at the 6:50 mark.

sportfireman
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
I totally agree with what was said...

CableKC
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
No new revelations.....but, it is something that we do like.....love for the Pacers chance with the return of Granger.

cgg
02-21-2013, 09:56 PM
If you're sad just watch this video:
http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2011/02/04/110204VogelPostgameflv-1547199

MillerTime
02-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Im glad we didnt makea trade. One was not needed. We are playing great ball - and we still have yet to play arguably our best player. Granger has been our leader (not only in scoring) and captain and his return will be beneficial on both ends of the court.

Im happy we didnt make a move before seeing how Granger meshes with this new team

OlBlu
02-22-2013, 04:26 PM
How many teams in the east are actually trying to contend for a championship and how many are just going through the motions. I think Miami, the Knicks, Brooklyn and Chicago are really trying to win a championship. Boston has to wait to replace its former big three but will try to build a championship team around their star PG. That will be a long haul. I think the rest of the east are only trying to field crowd pleasing teams with winning record that can make the playoffs but will never contend for a title. :cool: ...

aamcguy
02-22-2013, 05:01 PM
How many teams in the east are actually trying to contend for a championship and how many are just going through the motions. I think Miami, the Knicks, Brooklyn and Chicago are really trying to win a championship. Boston has to wait to replace its former big three but will try to build a championship team around their star PG. That will be a long haul. I think the rest of the east are only trying to field crowd pleasing teams with winning record that can make the playoffs but will never contend for a title. :cool: ...

Not coincidently, the teams you mentioned are the biggest metros in the east by far.

Trader Joe
02-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Little confused what Chicago, NYk, or Brooklyn did to make OlBlu so sure they are working hard to win a title...

aamcguy
02-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Little confused what Chicago, NYk, or Brooklyn did to make OlBlu so sure they are working hard to win a title...

I'm pretty sure it's just because they all have players that make more than 18 million per year.

Hoop
02-22-2013, 05:40 PM
This really got me excited!

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8970512&s=espn

Listen to Colin Cowherd and Tom Penn discuss the Pacers. They start at the 6:50 mark.

This is a nice piece also.

Segment 1 - 2/22/13 - Pacer talk starts about 6:20

http://www.1070thefan.com/gradyandjoe/podcast.aspx

BigPFan
02-22-2013, 05:44 PM

Or what we haven't done to not be included in that group.
Sure don't see anyone I'm afraid of there.

OlBlu
02-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Not coincidently, the teams you mentioned are the biggest metros in the east by far.

You are right, it is not a coincidence. Now lets look at the West. The teams trying to build a championship, Thunder, Lakers, Clippers, Houston and San Antonio. The rest, not so much....:cool: ...

OlBlu
02-22-2013, 06:19 PM

They are all trying to sign stars or develop stars and their payroll is not limited by the luxury tax......:cool: ...

CableKC
02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
They are all trying to sign stars or develop stars and their payroll is not limited by the luxury tax......:cool: ...
The Knicks and Bulls decided not to match Asik and Lin's contract offer because they did not want to go over the LT.

I am inclined to believe that in this Post-CBA environment.... most IF NOT ALL of the teams are limiting their moves to moves that will not put them over the Luxury Tax going forward.

cgg
02-22-2013, 06:28 PM
The Bulls have never paid the tax.

Cubs231721
02-22-2013, 06:43 PM

They will this year, although they tried not to. I think in the beginning of the year they thought dumping Hamilton to get at the deadline to get under the tax line would be easy, and they just didn't take into account how skittish other teams would be on taking salary. There was also a report that they weren't willing to give up their 1st round pick this year because they needed the cheap salary in order to help them get out of the luxury tax in future years. Next year it looks like they will likely be paying the tax again unless they make a major move like amnestying Boozer.

Naptown_Seth
02-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Ironically that's how you know they are trying to win. Smart teams want to keep the roster as flexible as possible unless you feel really good with the guys you have. This is why I think Indy should pay to keep the core 6 (plus Ian) together even if it gets tight keeping both Danny and Lance. If DG returns and the team is killing it, then now's the time to strike the hot iron.

If he doesn't or things just don't seem to fit then you can look at letting Lance go, DG go or whatever. Flexibility until you have a proven group, ala locking up all the 97-98 group.

Right now Chicago and New York are trying to feel out their future and both CHI and IND want to see how their star returns pan out. Those are championship moves. Trading Jackson and Al a week or so before the deadline to acquire 2 weaker players both making more money for longer contracts is not a championship move, it's a panic move meant to appease people like Ol Blu.

CableKC
02-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Ironically that's how you know they are trying to win. Smart teams want to keep the roster as flexible as possible unless you feel really good with the guys you have. This is why I think Indy should pay to keep the core 6 (plus Ian) together even if it gets tight keeping both Danny and Lance. If DG returns and the team is killing it, then now's the time to strike the hot iron.

If he doesn't or things just don't seem to fit then you can look at letting Lance go, DG go or whatever. Flexibility until you have a proven group, ala locking up all the 97-98 group.

Right now Chicago and New York are trying to feel out their future and both CHI and IND want to see how their star returns pan out. Those are championship moves. Trading Jackson and Al a week or so before the deadline to acquire 2 weaker players both making more money for longer contracts is not a championship move, it's a panic move meant to appease people like Ol Blu.
No, no......if you are not spending into the LT...then you are not willing to do what is necessary to win a Championship. :rolleyes:

Just in case you haven't done so yet....please turn on your Sarcasm detector.

BTW.....I am inclined to agree with what you were originally proposing where you go all in with a core of GH/PG/Granger/West/Hibbert/Lance/Mahinmi and then fill in the roster with the rest of the rookies....even if it means going into the LT beyond the 2014-2015 season....but this makes 2 VERY BIG ASSUMPTIONS.....( 1 ) the Pacers make a VERY DEEP Playoff run this season ( ECF or beyond ) and ( 2 ) DW/KP/Bird can convince the Simons to pay for both DW ( in 2013-2014 ), Granger and Lance ( in 2014-2015 ) when the time comes...even if it means that we go into LT.

But as you have also suggested ( as the likely alternative ) is that the Pacers will be forced to choose between Lance/Granger and Lance/West...and go with Lance/West while parlaying Granger into CapSpace/Players to fill the rest of the roster.