PDA

View Full Version : The Pacers need to change their Marketing Strategy... again

naptownmenace
02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Billboards are nice but they aren't enough. Before I go on, I should say that this thread isn't for bashing the Pacers Marketing department. It's designed to suggest ways the Pacers can reach more of the casual sports fans in Indy.

We all love to complain about the lack of attendance and what we think the underlying issues are. Even many of the Pacers players, coaches, and broadcasters find ways to bring it up. Complaining about the problem doesn't fix anything. Complaining only helps if it gives birth to solutions.

We know what the issues are. Here are my ideas to improve the Indiana Public's awareness. I'd love to hear yours as well.

1. Increase merchandise retail availability. It's mind boggling that Pacers gear is non-existent in retail giants like Target and Walmart. Try finding a sweatshirt anywhere other than the Homecourt gift shop. It's harder than finding Carmen SanDiego! A t-shirt on a rack or in the window of a shop at the mall is advertisement. Tons of casual sports fans could be reached this way. Heck, someone might even buy one once they know that they exist!

2. Pacers players and the organization have been doing a great job getting the message out via social media and have made several appearances here and there. A better way of getting the attention of basketball fans would be to set up appearances at Butler, IU, and Purdue games. Get a few on air interviews set up where they can comment on the college team and how the Pacers are playing this year. Just sitting in the crowd could get the Pacers a few Twitter mentions or a shoutout during the telecast or on SportsCenter later that night.

3. New Uniforms. Changing the uniforms would go a long way to help people see that this is a new Pacers team. It would also distance this team from all the losing and frustrating years. This isn't something that they can do this season but it should be a definite change starting next season.

4. Get the local media to support the team. Give them tickets, t-shirts, polos, mugs, or whatever it takes to get them interested in the team. Don't just do it once. Do it at least once a month. Tell them to pass some of it on to their family and friends. What does 100 mugs cost? They're really cheap to produce but could be worth word-of-mouth and/or media gold when given to the right people.

5. Similar to the idea above but this centers around promoting the team to all the bars in the city. Not just downtown but in Muncie, Bloomington, Lafayette, and Fort Wayne. Posters with just the schedule on them are great for the teams and the bars. Have a few of the Pacers drop once in a to have their pictures taken with the owners and bartenders.

6. Get a grassroots movement started. I'm sure Area 53 and the G2 crew would be down to help pass out flyers about the Pacers latest deals for upcoming games at the malls. Viral videos like Hibbert's Gangnam-style video were great for recognition. I know that if they got the fans more involved in the marketing plan, the Pacers could see a surge in popularity.

That's all I have for now but I feel really confident that these ideas could work. What are yours?

cgg
02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
To me it's mind boggling that Pacers gear is non-existent in retail giants SIMON MALLS.

Heisenberg
02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
You guys really think PG and Hill and Lance going to IU events was their own idea?

naptownmenace
02-20-2013, 01:55 PM
You guys really think PG and Hill and Lance going to IU events was their own idea?

No, not really. IIRC, wasn't that before the season started or shortly thereafter?

Also, I'm talking about them attending one of the games. I'm not sure if it's possible with the schedule but it couldn't hurt and they could get to see a good game in the process.

Heisenberg
02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
No, not really. IIRC, wasn't that before the season started or shortly thereafter?

Also, I'm talking about them attending one of the games. I'm not sure if it's possible with the schedule but it couldn't hurt and they could get to see a good game in the process.
PG was at the Michigan(I think?) game tweeting about it. Those 3 went there for a football game, not sure which one. Pacers official twitter was all over it.

Trader Joe
02-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Who wouldn't have wanted to go to that IU Michigan game? haha

boombaby1987
02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Tweets like this from Paul George are not an accident.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Great time at the game! The atmosphere was CRAZY! Support the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23HoosierNation">#HoosierNation</a></p>&mdash; Paul George (@Paul_George24) <a href="https://twitter.com/Paul_George24/status/297934637836156930">February 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RWB
02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
I've complained about it in other threads so thanks for the all in one thought thread.

Try to get a few more games scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday. 5 games total is not going to cut it for folks living outside of th Indy metro. Also on the same thought process... if the Sat/Sunday games are not doable then at least make some of the Friday games have a later starting time please.

This request comes from someone 88.4 miles away (one way) from BLF.

Trader Joe
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Going back to the Pinstripes IMO would be a brilliant idea. Yes they wore them during the brawl, but those are more associated with the only NBA finals appearance. It's easy, it fits with a "retro" feel, and they are great unis to boot.

PacersHomer
02-20-2013, 02:05 PM
They really need to change the jerseys. 1) These jerseys are terrible and I don't understand why anyone would want one but also 2) They will be associated with the mediocrity of the post-Reggie era and the thugs. The Pacers have too many great options for jerseys to keep on wearing this garbage.

pacers74
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
To me it's mind boggling that Pacers gear is non-existent in retail giants SIMON MALLS.

I go to oklahoma city for work a lot. They have stores everywhere with Thunder gear. I went into a store that was just in a strip mall that had Sooners, OK. St. Cowboys, and Thunder gear. I was blown away by all the stuff they had just for the Thunder. It was stuff we can only get by going down to BLF. Most of stuff was on sale too, not like BLF.

DangerGranger3pointranger
02-20-2013, 02:09 PM
1. From what I've heard, we should have new unis next year

2. It's Area 55, not Area 53

pacers74
02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
They need to advertise more on local TV, but local TV also needs to have more coverage on the Pacers too. Roy, Paul, and G.Hill do a lot of stuff in the community. It covered by the TV sations, but not enough.

pacers74
02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Going to finals would help too. LOL, not really LOL.

Slick Pinkham
02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I grew up an hours drive from Indy. When I was a kid I attended games in person (back in the ABA, 'cause I'm old) because there was a church group that had a bus and took us to Sunday afternoon games on occasion. I think if somehow the Pacers explored making a mini season ticket package available and coupled it to a locally-run charter bus service, from perhaps West Lafayette, Columbus IN, or other similarly-distanced cities, it could revive interest in these satellite markets. At least it could be heavily advertised in one or two cities just to gauge the interest. When I visit my relatives an hour south of Indy there's an obvious Colts marketing presence but the Pacers seem kind of invisible. This needs fixing!

TinManJoshua
02-20-2013, 02:28 PM
If they change the uniforms I want a NEW look. And I hate pinstripes. Baseball can keep them. I don't want FloJos back, or the Chest Stripe I always see on Vern Fleming.

I want something simple and uncluttered, that speaks to tradition that can't be "timestamped" like our other looks are.

Heisenberg
02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
I want new uniforms too, but just because I think the current ones have gotten stale. We've worn em longer than both the FloJos and the pinstripes! But, I mean, you guys seriously think people'd come to the games to see some new uniforms?

Since86
02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
I would settle for a better selection of uniforms at HomeCourt. Actually having multiple options on color would be a step in the right direction. Last time I went in to get a jersey, was 2/4 against Chicago and they had one Granger yellow. Outside of the pinstripes they had upstairs, that was the only option other than home white.

Yes I know I could have just had a road uniform made.

naptownmenace
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
1. From what I've heard, we should have new unis next year

2. It's Area 55, not Area 53

I heard 2 of them were getting their tickets revoked this afternoon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :sad:

J/K. It was a typo. My bad.

ejwallace
02-20-2013, 02:46 PM
What about some offseason work too??

More basketball clinics for kids, and spread them out to surrounding areas (Bloomington, Terre Haute, Lafayette, anywhere within an hours drive time)....This wouldn't even have to be run by the players, but marketed as "Pacers Camps". Have the trainers and people work with the kids....Hell get Billy Keller to do it....Just associate it with the franchise somehow.

What about celebrity games with Pacers players and local college talent?? Get a scrimage between IU, Butler, ISU, Purdue, ND, and the Pacers....Invite them to come workout with the team....Get a ton of media coverage on it....Show that the Pacers organization supports the community....Buy a new scoreboard or scorers bench or goal for some local schools and market it as "donated by the Pacers"....I know that Boomer does half time shows and appearances for some of the local highschools, hype it up by sending out GH3 or PG24 or Roy....but most of all, when you do it, GET MEDIA COVERAGE....

The lack of Pacers merchandise is pretty embarrassing to be honest...I hate to admit it, but I get most of my Pacers gear from eBay because I can't find anything in the area other than some pretty simple t-shirts. I buy things from online stores occasionally, but TBH there is not a lot of Pacers gear out there either, and when you do manage to locate some, it is very rarely on sale and pretty costly. Take a hit on the merchandise, cut the prices, get some local fan support, and butts in the seats....

The Pacers have some really great things going on, but they are not being boisterous enough in their marketing.....

The Big Smooth
02-20-2013, 02:49 PM

A friend of mine worked at the Circle Centre Home Court Gift Shop before it closed. He said he would have shifts where they didn't sell a thing. He would be there for 6 hours and maybe 10 people came in the store. Most customers were just looking for one of the pocket schedules. He also said that during the summer, Fever gear went faster than Pacers gear during the season. I have a feeling that Simon kept that location open much longer than it should have (probably because there wasn't a demand for the location anyways).

Slick Pinkham
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
The first point by naptown is a good one. I made a short visit to relatives near Seymour over the holidays. At the Seymour Walmart (stopped there since, living in Florida, my kids do not own winter coats, LOL) I had my choice of IU gear, Colts gear (not a fan), Cincinnati Reds gear, heck I think there was even Chicago Bears, Cincinnati Bengals, and St. Louis Cardinals gear.

A Pacers T-shirt, sweatshirt, hat, ANYTHING? Nope. Not there. Not even an option. I thought that maybe it's an NBA marketing thing, but I am sure that in Florida I see Heat gear at Walmart, target, etc.

duke dynamite
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Media coverage should do it. Uniforms shouldn't have any impact.

BillS
02-20-2013, 02:54 PM
I have to say that when I was at Dick's Sporting Goods in Avon on Sunday there was an entire section of Pacer gear - while not the same size as the Colts gear, it was still pretty big.

Now, there were a lot of things like "Beat the Heat" shirts and such, but just seeing prominent gear in Hendricks County is a huge step.

However, I still am unable to find ANY Pacer gear at the airport, which I think is a pretty good barometer of how popular it is for people to pick up as gifts for out-of-towners.

I still would like to see a schedule of the things they are doing with the fan van outside of Marion County, if nothing else so I can point out to people when it will be around.

Sandman21
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
PG was at the Michigan(I think?) game tweeting about it. Those 3 went there for a football game, not sure which one. Pacers official twitter was all over it.

They went to IU / Ball State. Paul and I think Orlando went to the Michigan game.

6. Get a grassroots movement started. I'm sure Area 53 and the G2 crew would be down to help pass out flyers about the Pacers latest deals for upcoming games at the malls. Viral videos like Hibbert's Gangnam-style video were great for recognition. I know that if they got the fans more involved in the marketing plan, the Pacers could see a surge in popularity.

We had some G2ers running around downtown a couple weekends ago giving away tickets to the Bobcats game that a member had bought out of his pocket for that very reason. I think there's another one planned shortly.

graphic-er
02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
A friend of mine worked at the Circle Centre Home Court Gift Shop before it closed. He said he would have shifts where they didn't sell a thing. He would be there for 6 hours and maybe 10 people came in the store. Most customers were just looking for one of the pocket schedules. He also said that during the summer, Fever gear went faster than Pacers gear during the season. I have a feeling that Simon kept that location open much longer than it should have (probably because there wasn't a demand for the location anyways).

I would say its hard to keep a team store open in any mall anywhere in the country. But when you go to the Malls there is not really any Pacer's gear inside the Finish Line, and other sporting good stores. Dicks does have a section now though.

Kid Minneapolis
02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
I see little-to-no advertising of the Pacers on any other channel besides FSI. And not many people watch FSI. The advertising needs to be more far-reaching, and so does broadcasts. I have FSI where I'm at, but I hear more and more that there are large portions of the state that do not get that channel. That's a problem.

TV advertising is what will get them there, not billboards and public appearances. They already are winning and have a good product on the floor, so there's not much to change there, they just need more visibility.

ejwallace
02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
I see little-to-no advertising of the Pacers on any other channel besides FSI. And not many people watch FSI. The advertising needs to be more far-reaching, and so does broadcasts. I have FSI where I'm at, but I hear more and more that there are large portions of the state that do not get that channel. That's a problem.

TV advertising is what will get them there, not billboards and public appearances. They already are winning and have a good product on the floor, so there's not much to change there, they just need more visibility.

With the deal that Fox Sports MidWest just signed with the Pacers, the Pacers will now be the "Home" basketball team for most Illinois and Missouri as well as Indiana. Fox Sports MidWest, the regional sports network for the areas, will carry the games that FSI broadcasts either on their main FSMW channel or the FSMW-Plus channel. This is currently active in most areas, however both Dish and DirecTV are dragging their feet on making the change to their systems, causing the Pacers games to still get blacked out in most of the areas that should now be able to view them....

When all's said and done, that deal alone will branch the Pacers out to two more states as the "Home" team, giving them much more far reaching advertising.

Mo Tibbs
02-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Speaking on FSI, I wonder what the Louisville area coverage is. I say that because tonight I have to watch the Grizzlies instead of the Pacers on my Fox Sports station. I wonder if the whole state of Kentucky is that way. Although I guess most of the state is just as close to Nashville as they are to Indy.

There are so many good ideas here the Pacers need to hear. And I'm sure that they have started or already doing most of them. They need to get more gear available immediately. Have to. Personally I shop online about 98% of the time. And I normally shop 3 different spots for Pacers gear: HCGS, Eastbay, and Football Fanatics. Go look at their selection right now(in season). It's awful. I also wonder if having adidas as the supplier has anything to do with it. They're awful about getting team gear out imo. You saw all kinds of Nike NFL stuff on shelves except then they overpriced everything. Also I have asked for Pacers gear the last few years for Christmas thinking that it wouldn't be hard for people to find. I didn't get a single item that had blue and gold on it and that's going on 3 or 4 years now. It just isn't out there for people to buy.

And finally, the Pacers NEED to get new uniforms. In the same sense of changing popular uniforms after the Brawl, we need to do it now. Never mind that the current unis are awful(they are), we need to do it to change our identity. Just showing that we are doing so will help change people's opinions that if we're changing then maybe they need to change their opinion on the Pacers. It's worth a shot anyways.

spazzxb
02-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Just curious if anyone is a member of planet fitness in Indy? Is there anyway to see the game there? Its impossible in fort wayne. Also broadcasting the games on a channel that doesn't exist when there's not a game is a big problem. No-one will ever channel surf by a game, and with it being 673 on dtv even coming across it on the guide is unlikely.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ejwallace
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Speaking on FSI, I wonder what the Louisville area coverage is. I say that because tonight I have to watch the Grizzlies instead of the Pacers on my Fox Sports station. I wonder if the whole state of Kentucky is that way. Although I guess most of the state is just as close to Nashville as they are to Indy.

Here's a link you can check your local sports teams on....

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=3450006

idioteque
02-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Pacers need a legit guerilla marketing campaign. Billboards and commercials are fine but not enough. Need to have people engaging with the public, putting stickers everywhere and handing out goodies to entice people to go to games. Do it in malls, downtown, outside of Wal-Mart, wherever. This is pretty effective here in DC.

Major Cold
02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
You aren't getting jerseys in stores unless there is a demand. There must not be a demand. Or ticket takers.

Coopdog23
02-20-2013, 09:55 PM
I like your ideas. Maybe they should do what the Colts do and go out into the community and hospitals and visit kids and families that in troubling times. The Colts do that every week and that's great PR for the team and it makes more fans of the team and gives a struggling kid or family inspiration. I think with the uniforms idea, they can get new ones, but keep the pinstripes and the other jerseys from the 90s as retros as well

pizza guy
02-20-2013, 11:25 PM
I work for Lids/Hat World, and while we don't carry apparel in my store, here are a few observations based on hat sales.

--The Pacers aren't "cool" or fashionable
--Adidas is not a very popular brand
--Very few people wear blue & yellow
--Casual fans don't respect the franchise, let alone the current roster
--People are slowly beginning to take notice.

I'm only an hour from Indy, yet I sell Chicago and Miami merchandise constantly. The new-look Nets are also popular, and Jay-Z gives them "street cred." I make it my mission to get awesome Pacers hats to wear during work and create conversation about the team.

My suggestions:

--Re-brand. New logo, new uniforms, new attitude.
--Market Paul George like he's LeBron. Someone get him signed to a big contract with us, and some Paul George shoes.
--Win the NBA Championship
--????
--Profit

beast23
02-21-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm not surprised at all. David Simon has never had any love for the Pacers. I remember somewhere along the line that once he took over Simon Properties that a mandate circulated the building that all Pacer memorabilia be taken down. However, I do not know whether the mandate is still in affect.

But, when it comes to the Pacers, I have no trust or faith whatsoever in David Simon. For those that worry about a possible future re-location of the Pacers, David Simon should be your biggest fear.

Heisenberg
02-21-2013, 12:41 AM
I work for Lids/Hat World, and while we don't carry apparel in my store, here are a few observations based on hat sales.

--The Pacers aren't "cool" or fashionable
--Adidas is not a very popular brand
--Very few people wear blue & yellow
--Casual fans don't respect the franchise, let alone the current roster
--People are slowly beginning to take notice.

I'm only an hour from Indy, yet I sell Chicago and Miami merchandise constantly. The new-look Nets are also popular, and Jay-Z gives them "street cred." I make it my mission to get awesome Pacers hats to wear during work and create conversation about the team.

My suggestions:

--Re-brand. New logo, new uniforms, new attitude.
--Market Paul George like he's LeBron. Someone get him signed to a big contract with us, and some Paul George shoes.
--Win the NBA Championship
--????
--Profit
Not the one in Lafayette is it? I was up there a couple weeks ago and was looking for a Pacers hat. They literally had none, in Lafayette, not like it's Evansville. Had plenty of Bulls and Heat and Lakers, probably 5+ of each, not a single Pacers hat. Asked the counter girl and she said just nobody really asked for them. She was a pretty big fan though, was just after the last Heat win and we talked about the game for a good 5 minutes so that was cool.

naptownmenace
02-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks for posting your ideas, guys! Pizza Guy nailed the other reason the Pacers need to change their uniforms and logos. They are getting old. They aren't trendy and they aren't retro. They're just stuck somewhere in the middle.

Every team usually sees a boost in jersey sales after they change uniforms as well. Changing the logos and uniforms also gives the Merchants a good reason to start carrying Pacers merchandise. No matter what they say you can always say, "but these are new and so much cooler than the old ones!"

habart30
02-21-2013, 02:37 AM
I truly believe the majority of basketball people in Indiana do not respect the way the NBA is played.. You have a bunch of over paid guys jogging up and down the court acting like they could give a darn. The attitude the NBA represents is unacceptable in comparison to the hard working High School, and College players who do it for passion here in the Hoosier state. I grew up in Southern Indiana just 15 minutes away from Milan.. and as you might expect basketball was life.. to not just me but the majority.
The Traditional High School and College ball are just more popular here and I don't see that changing.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm speaking for what I believe to be the majority of Indiana, not Myself
As for me I love the Pacers and that won't change. I support our teams and always will.

Revikan
02-21-2013, 07:04 AM
I think a big problem is most the casual fans probably think the pacers still suck. The news channels need to get behind the pacers and somehow get it out there about what their doing. I think really the ONLY way the fans are gonna come back is if they make the finals. I think even losing in the finals would help, just to show how far they went. Lets be realistic, the regular season is not going to win the fans over. The only thing that matters in the regular season that matters is the record, and I bet the casual fan has no idea how the pacers are doing.

What really makes me mad is when I go to a local bar or sports bar, and they arent showing pacer games. I dont have access to pacer games right now, so I went to buffalo wings and rings to get some food and watch the game. I think it was the bulls and pacers, and they werent even showing it. They had a bunch of college games on, but none of them from indiana. They even had mlb channel on I believe, just watching reruns. Granted I could have asked for them to put it on, but apparently they dont pay attention otherwise youd have the bulls and pacers on, thats a big game. If you are wondering where Im from, 20 minutes south of bloomington

Ultimately I dont think you win the casual fans over until you ACTUALLY do something in the playoffs. If we would have beat miami last year in the playoffs I think that would have really helped. Show the casual fans, yeah we just beat lebron james, dwayne wade, and chris bosh. The casual fan doesnt care that we lose 4-2, in the end, we still lost.

Steagles
02-21-2013, 07:21 AM
I know this could never be done in real life, but I would not be opposed to the white pinstripe jerseys at home, the blue tennis ball jersey on the road, and a new yellow alternate jersey for next year.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

Sollozzo
02-21-2013, 08:25 AM
They need to go visit the Colts and take some notes. The Colts could write the book on how to effectively market a sports team. They maximize their potential all over the state. When I go down to southern Indiana near Louisville, I feel as if the Colts play their games there. That's how much Colts-related stuff there is down there.

The Colts didn't take their support for granted during the Manning era. They understood that the time to go on a marketing blitz was when the team was at the zenith of their success. The brilliant marketing over the past decade paid off this season when they overhauled the team.

pizza guy
02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Not the one in Lafayette is it? I was up there a couple weeks ago and was looking for a Pacers hat. They literally had none, in Lafayette, not like it's Evansville. Had plenty of Bulls and Heat and Lakers, probably 5+ of each, not a single Pacers hat. Asked the counter girl and she said just nobody really asked for them. She was a pretty big fan though, was just after the last Heat win and we talked about the game for a good 5 minutes so that was cool.

Yep, Lafayette. We finally have a few different styles because I have practically begged my district manager because we've seen a lot of folks like you come in, only to leave disappointed. So, it is coming around, and some of the casual fans are getting more interested. But the merchandise is still not "cool" enough to really sell like Miami or Chicago. And honestly, most of the Heat and Bulls stuff I sell is just to match Jordans or LeBrons shoes. Heck, I still sell a lot of Charlotte Hornets and Vancouver Grizzlies.

EDIT: If you're local, stop in and say hi, it's always cool meeting and putting a face with the screen name. I'm the short guy, lol

BillS
02-21-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm not surprised at all. David Simon has never had any love for the Pacers. I remember somewhere along the line that once he took over Simon Properties that a mandate circulated the building that all Pacer memorabilia be taken down. However, I do not know whether the mandate is still in affect.

But, when it comes to the Pacers, I have no trust or faith whatsoever in David Simon. For those that worry about a possible future re-location of the Pacers, David Simon should be your biggest fear.

The Simon family member most likely to be involved after Herb goes is Steve. Steve is already on the PS&E board and is directly operating the Reno NBDL franchise.

That means I am not worried about antipathy to basketball or the Pacers, just the business viability of surviving in an apathetic-to-hostile market.

Mac_Daddy
02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
If they change the uniforms I want a NEW look. And I hate pinstripes. Baseball can keep them. I don't want FloJos back, or the Chest Stripe I always see on Vern Fleming.

I want something simple and uncluttered, that speaks to tradition that can't be "timestamped" like our other looks are.

I'm not sure what you mean by "timestamped," But trying to speak to tradition seems like it would somewhat timestamp it anyway. Simple and uncluttered would be what we have now.

Coopdog23
02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
I know this could never be done in real life, but I would not be opposed to the white pinstripe jerseys at home, the blue tennis ball jersey on the road, and a new yellow alternate jersey for next year.

Quality idea

TinManJoshua
02-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "timestamped," But trying to speak to tradition seems like it would somewhat timestamp it anyway. Simple and uncluttered would be what we have now.

We drastically change our uniforms. Then they become the uniform of an "era" of the team. Think about how different the last four uniforms we've had are. One of them is even an entirely different blue.

I wouldn't call the current ones uncluttered, not with the way the side stripes are framed.

Mo Tibbs
02-21-2013, 10:21 AM

I wouldn't mind that idea either but wouldn't that be catering to us that are already watching the Pacers? I mean we would just be going back to retro uniforms at that point. If you're gonna change them for marketing purposes then they need to just start from scratch. Other than the P with the basketball, change it all. Actually they should change the logo back because it looks like a freaking baseball logo(and a bad one at that). The stamp look has to go. It's so bland I don't even notice it.

ChicagoJ
02-21-2013, 02:17 PM
I've complained about it in other threads so thanks for the all in one thought thread.

Try to get a few more games scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday. 5 games total is not going to cut it for folks living outside of th Indy metro. Also on the same thought process... if the Sat/Sunday games are not doable then at least make some of the Friday games have a later starting time please.

This request comes from someone 88.4 miles away (one way) from BLF.

And is seconded by another former ST holder that is exiled to 197 miles away -- and a timezone change in the wrong direction -- from BLF.

joeyd
02-21-2013, 02:30 PM
I see one problem but I'm not sure how to fix it. Here's the situation...I've walked into a several sports bars or restaurants this year or last when the Pacers have been on the road....we are talking places that have multiple TVs available for viewing. And not one of them has had the Pacers game on! Most of the time the TVs didn't have IU, Purdue or Butler games on either, but rather, they had the Heat playing the Pistons or some other meaningless baseball or college football game on. I usually have to request that they turn the Pacers game on. Seems to me that during the late 90's or even early 2000's, you never used to have to ask a bartender or waitstaff person to turn the Pacers game on, but now you do. Very frustrating. Obviously not enough people ask to watch the games or else they would have the games on. Obviously, having the games on would expose more people and causal fans to the product. But its a vicious cycle that I'm not sure how to overcome.

SMosley21
02-21-2013, 02:46 PM
I see one problem but I'm not sure how to fix it. Here's the situation...I've walked into a several sports bars or restaurants this year or last when the Pacers have been on the road....we are talking places that have multiple TVs available for viewing. And not one of them has had the Pacers game on! Most of the time the TVs didn't have IU, Purdue or Butler games on either, but rather, they had the Heat playing the Pistons or some other meaningless baseball or college football game on. I usually have to request that they turn the Pacers game on. Seems to me that during the late 90's or even early 2000's, you never used to have to ask a bartender or waitstaff person to turn the Pacers game on, but now you do. Very frustrating. Obviously not enough people ask to watch the games or else they would have the games on. Obviously, having the games on would expose more people and causal fans to the product. But its a vicious cycle that I'm not sure how to overcome.

This is almost always the case, anywhere in the central Indianapolis area. It down right pisses me off that I have to request to have the Pacers game turned on when I go to a local bar or restaurant.

Unclebuck
02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
I truly believe the majority of basketball people in Indiana do not respect the way the NBA is played.. You have a bunch of over paid guys jogging up and down the court acting like they could give a darn. The attitude the NBA represents is unacceptable in comparison to the hard working High School, and College players who do it for passion here in the Hoosier state. I grew up in Southern Indiana just 15 minutes away from Milan.. and as you might expect basketball was life.. to not just me but the majority.

I think you are correct, that is why I would love to see the Pacers play IU. I'm serious, I would love to see it.

Heisenberg
02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
I think you are correct, that is why I would love to see the Pacers play IU. I'm serious, I would love to see it.

NCAA'd probably give IU the death penalty

rabid
02-21-2013, 04:23 PM

Sucks that things are still like that in Indy.

Here's an idea: I do know that local indy bars/restaurants are pretty busy during Colts games right (probably even moreso for away games)? Maybe if ppl could start making a point of watching Pacers away games in their favorite local watering hole instead of at home (the bigger/busier/more visible the establishment the better), wearing Pacer gear (jerseys/hats etc), it would become a more public way of expressing fandom than watching in your living room alone or with 1-2 other people.

In a public place people will turn their heads and take a look, and there are opportunities to talk to folks and educate them about how great the team is. It's free PR for the Pacers when you do this, if you think about it. Definitely moreso than watching at home alone.

I realize not everyone can afford to do this but to me going to the game >> watching the game with friends with wings and beer at a bar restaurant >> watching at home. Not for every game maybe but from time to time it can be a lot of fun.

I know that when I walk into a sports bar and there are fans cheering and/or wearing team gear I take notice, even if it's a team/sport I don't normally pay attention to...

rabid
02-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Continuing my brainstorm. What if the Pacers handed out discounts to some local restaurants/bars several times a year... and made arrangements with those businesses to be sure to show the Pacers games.

I honestly think this would be a great PR move the more I think about it. Like an Area 55 for away games that takes place at a downtown bar/restaurant or maybe up in Carmel. Pacers pair up with the business to offer game-time specials, free appetizers for wearing Pacer gear, that sort of thing. Good for the restaurant, good for the Pacers

Mo Tibbs
02-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Continuing my brainstorm. What if the Pacers handed out discounts to some local restaurants/bars several times a year... and made arrangements with those businesses to be sure to show the Pacers games.

I honestly think this would be a great PR move the more I think about it. Like an Area 55 for away games that takes place at a downtown bar/restaurant or maybe up in Carmel. Pacers pair up with the business to offer game-time specials, free appetizers for wearing Pacer gear, that sort of thing. Good for the restaurant, good for the Pacers

I really like this idea.

SMosley21
02-21-2013, 04:50 PM

They did something similar a couple times last season where they would have viewing parties at Buffalo Wild Wings. I went on 2 different occasions and they have prize giveaways and what not but there honestly weren't many people there at either of them that I went to. Boomer was there with a few Pacemates and I believe Eddie White was there.

rabid
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM
They did something similar a couple times last season where they would have viewing parties at Buffalo Wild Wings. I went on 2 different occasions and they have prize giveaways and what not but there honestly weren't many people there at either of them that I went to. Boomer was there with a few Pacemates and I believe Eddie White was there.

Yeah sounds like that might be trying a bit too hard? Maybe the "party" approach would work for the playoffs or as a one-time thing but most of the time it would need to be grassroots for it to be effective IMHO. I like Boomer and the Pacemates but ultimately it's the presence of cheering fans, plus the game itself, that would get ppl's attention I think. Prizes and MCs and gimmicry might actually take away from the game experience...

Also I would tackle existing fans, maybe even season-ticket holders, rather than new fans, at least at first, to establish a base of ppl. That way you know they'd be more likely to show up and be more noisy, might spend more $$ etc. Do it in a high-traffic place where non-fans are coming through a lot. I seem to remember a few Circle Center places (is Champs still there? Does Rock Bottom have good TVs?) where this approach might still work. The point is to use FANS to attract additional new fans (by making game-watching fun and exciting), rather than using Boomer/Pacemates, which is more for kids than for serious fans IMO.

Maybe this is something that Area55 itself could tackle? Or heck even PD? I know there are forum parties already, why not weekly/monthly get-togethers...

Again I'm just brainstorming here.

beast23
02-21-2013, 05:37 PM
The Simon family member most likely to be involved after Herb goes is Steve. Steve is already on the PS&E board and is directly operating the Reno NBDL franchise.

That means I am not worried about antipathy to basketball or the Pacers, just the business viability of surviving in an apathetic-to-hostile market.My understanding as well. As long as Steven is involved, I think that relocation would be the very last avenue pursued with the Pacers. And, I agree totally regarding your conclusion regarding apathy.

Slick Pinkham
02-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Decades ago the Pacers would play some exhibition games in some of the large high school gyms in the state. I remember in the 70s a game played at Seymour, which seats over 8,000. I went and it was a good turnout, lots of good will, and just an hour away from Indy. I am sure the players hated it, likely taking bus rides before and after, but stuff like that would expose the product to fans who might make that drive now and then.

BlueNGold
02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
The Pacers don't need to re-think their marketing strategy. No amount of advertising is going to convince people to come in droves to BLF.

Attendance will improve when we start going deeper in the playoffs and people believe we have a shot at a title. A good rivalry would go a long way.

Honestly, I don't know why this continues to be an issue. It's all very simple.

rabid
02-21-2013, 07:30 PM
The Pacers don't need to re-think their marketing strategy. No amount of advertising is going to convince people to come in droves to BLF.

No one is saying it will.

You need a good product AND good marketing, they go hand in hand. The Pacers seem to be doing a good job with the budget they have but there is always room for improvement.

Attendance will improve when we start going deeper in the playoffs and people believe we have a shot at a title. A good rivalry would go a long way.

Honestly, I don't know why this continues to be an issue. It's all very simple.

This is not a sustainable model. You're basically saying that the only time the Pacers won't be near-last in attendance is if they are always competing for a title. With 30 teams in the league that just is not realistic.

It's not "simple" at all IMO, it's actually fairly complicated.

ejwallace
02-21-2013, 09:34 PM

What if the Pacers provided Pacers logod barware, coasters, logod stools, logod pitchers, lighted Pacers lights, and anything else Pacers that could be made, and donate it to local bars with the only requirement being that they make any and all Pacers games be headlined in their establishment. Maybe even some free give aways...Who knows....Get the establishments on your side, and they'll be one of your most powerful allies....

croz24
02-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Agreed. Flojos as the alternate ;-)

Mo Tibbs
02-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Agreed. Flojos as the alternate ;-)

Yellow FloJos!!??

croz24
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Yellow FloJos!!??

Who says they'd be yellow? Just use them for maybe 10 road games instead of the ABA blues.

Mo Tibbs
02-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Who says they'd be yellow? Just use them for maybe 10 road games instead of the ABA blues.

It was more of a joke on my part. My bad. Personally I wouldn't mind having any of our retros as our real uni but I don't think it will happen.

J7F
02-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Decades ago the Pacers would play some exhibition games in some of the large high school gyms in the state. I remember in the 70s a game played at Seymour, which seats over 8,000. I went and it was a good turnout, lots of good will, and just an hour away from Indy. I am sure the players hated it, likely taking bus rides before and after, but stuff like that would expose the product to fans who might make that drive now and then.

I live in Seymour and have never heard that this happened... Born in 82... That would make my year if that ever happened again!

I just sent Rob From Pacers a message earlier requesting they do more grassroots marketing around the state... Not just in Indy...

We are the Indiana Pacers...

BlueNGold
02-21-2013, 11:25 PM
No one is saying it will.

You need a good product AND good marketing, they go hand in hand. The Pacers seem to be doing a good job with the budget they have but there is always room for improvement.

This is not a sustainable model. You're basically saying that the only time the Pacers won't be near-last in attendance is if they are always competing for a title. With 30 teams in the league that just is not realistic.

It's not "simple" at all IMO, it's actually fairly complicated.

The Pacers have been here since the ABA days and much leaner times. I'm not concerned.

Edit: Simply by virtue of Indianapolis growing, attendance will go up in future years and fill up the house. Just a little patience is needed and we will be another armpit city that has a jam-packed NBA stadium. Woo Hoo!

ChicagoJ
02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Was at a sports bar here in the Chicago 'burbs tonight. Arkansas vs. Georgia on the big screen. Eventually, they came over and asked if we minded if they changed it over to the Bulls-Heat game. I said I didn't care, not a fan of either team, but it would be better than some dumb SEC game. And even after that, Jay's_Wife@Section222 and I were the only ones watching the NBA game.

Well, I keep saying this isn't much of an NBA town.

But the problem described above isn't unique to Indy.

The NBA has suffered a decline since the 1990s. I think it has more to do with the league leaving NBC and aligning with sata... errr... ESPN. But the newer generation of superstars haven't driven popularity with the masses. In the past decade, the Pacers actually had a player come along that was their most complete player in their NBA era, and before he got hurt was making a serious run at the MVP balloting. And was an outstanding member of the community.

And yet he's just vilified by the fans of his team.

cdash
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
I think the NBA has a couple of problems, really. First off, there are way too many games. I think the NBA should have at most a 64 game regular season. The first round of the playoffs should still be a best of five series and best of seven after that.

Second, the incessanty whining of the star players is deeply irritating. I know the NBA has cracked down in recent years on showing up the refs, but watching that Pacers/Knicks game the other night, I rolled my eyes about 7-8 times at the Knicks in the first half alone. They were *****ing about everything. Just play the damn game.

Third, the experience of going to games in person pales in comparison to a collegiate atmosphere. Piped in crowd noise, music, and all that jazz takes away from the game. With HD TVs, fast internet access, and the ability to multitask, what incentive is there to attend games in person nowadays?

Obviously, there's more, but that's a start.

Trader Joe
02-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Answer is simple....

More boobs.

pizza guy
02-22-2013, 12:56 AM
I think the NBA has a couple of problems, really. First off, there are way too many games. I think the NBA should have at most a 64 game regular season. The first round of the playoffs should still be a best of five series and best of seven after that.

Second, the incessanty whining of the star players is deeply irritating. I know the NBA has cracked down in recent years on showing up the refs, but watching that Pacers/Knicks game the other night, I rolled my eyes about 7-8 times at the Knicks in the first half alone. They were *****ing about everything. Just play the damn game.

Third, the experience of going to games in person pales in comparison to a collegiate atmosphere. Piped in crowd noise, music, and all that jazz takes away from the game. With HD TVs, fast internet access, and the ability to multitask, what incentive is there to attend games in person nowadays?

Obviously, there's more, but that's a start.

I think this is a BIG part of it. Just watching the NBA on tv, then watching college, the environment is no where near as exciting. I can't stand all the weird noises and bad music during the game. Keep that stuff simple and give Area 55 megaphones.

Naptown_Seth
02-22-2013, 02:47 AM
This is almost always the case, anywhere in the central Indianapolis area. It down right pisses me off that I have to request to have the Pacers game turned on when I go to a local bar or restaurant.
My wife asked for Shula's to put on the Pacers Knicks game on WED and they said "we don't get Fox IN", which I call bulls*** on. It's pathetic. How is this not a gut instinct for all local bars, especially any tied to a sports them, to not always have the Pacers on.

I also don't get how you don't see lots of little Pacers items in windows, etc. I commented on that in another thread, how I was shocked to see a Pacers schedule in one of the windows on Market (maybe the comic store).

By the way, the Pacers store in the mall had a terrible location. If you didn't know it was there you couldn't find it, let alone have it in your face just moving about the mall in the way the Colts store kinda is.

I realize it's a combo, but both the media and the businesses simply need to lead the people back to being fans and I think they would follow. If you lead WTHR with "Pacers thump Knicks by 30" then it makes people think "hey, that's big news, early on the broadcast, this must be a thing I should know about". You treat it like it's important and it becomes important.

Naptown_Seth
02-22-2013, 02:49 AM
I think this is a BIG part of it. Just watching the NBA on tv, then watching college, the environment is no where near as exciting. I can't stand all the weird noises and bad music during the game. Keep that stuff simple and give Area 55 megaphones.
But right now the overwhelming sounds in BILF are A55 and G2 plus the drumline. Even the Pacemates play 2nd fiddle to them at this point. BILF is probably the most "collegiate" style atmosphere in the NBA. I certainly haven't been to another stadium where it was remotely close. I've been to Mackey plenty of times when it was basically only the student section, so it's not that different.

Naptown_Seth
02-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Was this a movie version of the NBA because it doesn't match many games I've seen, at least outside of tanking teams late in the season.

I'm with Buck, let the Pacers HUMILIATE the Hoosiers by a good 50 points and let the yokels explain that in basketball terms. The Pacers would beat the living hell out of any NCAA team, just like the Heat, OKC, SAS, etc would. They are faster, they are more sophisticated in their schemes, the vertical game is unbelievable and the strength in the post would kill them.

The Pacers pushed the ball up harder in the NYK blowout than even the UNC track meet team of Tyler's title season was capable of doing. West, Paul, Lance and Sam would gobble up 20 of those classic slow NCAA ball reversals for dunks the other way, and Roy would knock out 5 blocks before they just stopped going to the lane at all.

Peck
02-22-2013, 03:28 AM
I swear if I have to hear anymore about the great college atmosphere my head is going to explode.

It is absolute and utter B.S.

Yes Big 10 basketball, the ACC & several other of the big time D 1 minor league's have this type of atmosphere but it is not the majority of college basketball. Again take a drive out to Greencastle and tell me that when Depauw has a home game that you get the same atmosphere. There are even D 1 teams that do not have the atmosphere, just ask Paul George.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pain in the butt about that stuff but it just for some reason irritates me when people say "college basketball" when in truth they just mean basically one of the East of the Mississippi River Big Conference schools.

cdash
02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
I swear if I have to hear anymore about the great college atmosphere my head is going to explode.

Yes Big 10 basketball, the ACC & several other of the big time D 1 minor league's have this type of atmosphere but it is not the majority of college basketball. Again take a drive out to Greencastle and tell me that when Depauw has a home game that you get the same atmosphere. There are even D 1 teams that do not have the atmosphere, just ask Paul George.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pain in the butt about that stuff but it just for some reason irritates me when people say "college basketball" when in truth they just mean basically one of the East of the Mississippi River Big Conference schools.

Well consider where we are. Indianapolis is in the heart of Big Ten country. Almost everyone in the state roots for either Indiana or Purdue, who both have very good in game atmospheres. Is this the norm throughout the country? Well, no. But I would wager that the majority of people that attend Pacer games also have attended (and naturally compare) a game or two in West Lafayette or Bloomington.

Slick Pinkham
02-22-2013, 08:22 AM
I live in Seymour and have never heard that this happened... Born in 82... That would make my year if that ever happened again!

I just sent Rob From Pacers a message earlier requesting they do more grassroots marketing around the state... Not just in Indy...

We are the Indiana Pacers...

I believe that the Pacers preseason game that was played in Seymour was on October 18, 1977. I can place it since I remember the PA announcer giving the score of the 6th and deciding World Series game between the Yankees and Dodgers, and it was the night that Reggie Jackson hit 3 home runs. It was either the Pacers game or a Harlem Globetrotters game, since I remember going to both of them within a year or two, but I think it was the Pacers because a mid-October date for a preseason game makes perfect sense. The Globetrotters I think played in the Spring.

Many NBA teams play a preseason game in college venues in their market, but of course Indiana is unique in having some enormous high school gyms, 13 of them in fact that seat over 7,000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_high_school_gyms_in_the_United_States

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/gyms.htm

Hicks
02-22-2013, 08:31 AM
But right now the overwhelming sounds in BILF are A55 and G2 plus the drumline. Even the Pacemates play 2nd fiddle to them at this point. BILF is probably the most "collegiate" style atmosphere in the NBA. I certainly haven't been to another stadium where it was remotely close. I've been to Mackey plenty of times when it was basically only the student section, so it's not that different.

True, but it also has all of the piped in noise crap, too. Especially during dead balls and whatnot. I have to admit that crap does get old. They basically treat the audience like they all have ADD and hearing impairment.

The Big Smooth
02-22-2013, 08:36 AM
When I get home from work today, I'm going to post a study that I found about the opinions of soccer fans watching televised games. They basically called it the "canned laughter" effect. When people think that others are enjoying a game, they will enjoy it more. Just like how sit-coms use canned laughter. This makes people realize that there is a funny/exciting part of the story/game and they should pay more attention. They tested this by showing fans a soccer match that was considered boring by other fans. They then added more crowd noise to the video. They made the crowd get incredibly excited at times and noticed that fans watching on TV would get excited when they heard the noise as well; despite the fact that none of the fans cared about this moment when there wasn't crowd noise added.

I believe this has an impact on the NBA and college basketball. College crowds are always into the game more than NBA crowds. I fully believe that a lot of casual basketball fans prefer college basketball because they get caught up in the atmosphere more. College crowds are on their feet at the tip-off, whereas most NBA crowds are still getting to their seats. An ugly defensive game will be considered exciting in college if the fans are still into it. In the NBA, the fans wouldn't be into it as much and most wouldn't consider it a quality game.

RWB
02-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Many NBA teams play a preseason game in college venues in their market, but of course Indiana is unique in having some enormous high school gyms, 13 of them in fact that seat over 7,000:

Well I know the PAcers played the Celtics in Terre Haute the fall of 1987 for sure. I've got video of a live tv broadcast (yes they even broadcast the game locally) of Mrs. RWB walking with our son to our seats.

RWB
02-22-2013, 08:39 AM
and hearing impairment.
I thought that was to demonstrate the amazing sound from Klipsh speakers. :)

Ragnar
02-22-2013, 08:40 AM
I would like to add to the more Saturday games. There is simply no way for me to make it to weekday games, there are many nites I am calling it a day at 7 to catch tip off so driving 115 miles parking etc is out of the question. Sunday games are not much better because I still have to drive 100 miles home and get the kids to bed but a Saturday game we could leave the kids with the grandparents get a hotel and have a night in Indy. That's simply impossible during the week even Fridays would be impossible because I would need to leave at 4 just to drop off the kids and make it down there.

RWB
02-22-2013, 08:44 AM
I would like to add to the more Saturday games.
Ok Pacers are you listening? You've got Ragnar, Jay, and RWB on the same thought and I bet there are more. Also it's kind of funny we've all been here (on PD) since 2004. Means you've got some serious fans here who would like the opportunity to make it to more games.

See the thing I don't understand is you really have to have a job to make money. It takes money to buy a ticket(s). I know times have changed and people work all kinds of shifts and days off and on. I have to believe the majority of folks still probably work a day shift so once again that early start time on a Friday is just killing the out of town folks. And the weak assortment of Saturday/Sunday games just takes away almost all opportunities.

Unclebuck
02-22-2013, 08:48 AM

And in the NCAA tournament, everything is on a neutral court, so the advantage that is there furing the regiular season for the top college teams is not there in the playoffs. The crowds are much better in the NBA playoffs than they are for the NCAA tournament because of the neutral court

Sollozzo
02-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Ok Pacers are you listening? You've got Ragnar, Jay, and RWB on the same thought and I bet there are more.

How much of that is up to the Pacers and how much of it is up to the league? If we wanted more Saturday games, would we simply make a request to the league and hope that they'd accommodate us?

You're exactly right though. The 7 P.M. weeknight games essentially cutoff anyone who doesn't live in the immediate Indy metro area. Even those who live in the Indy metro area can have a difficult time making them, depending on what time you get off work and where you live.

Slick Pinkham
02-22-2013, 08:54 AM
I don't know how much input the Pacers have in the NBA game scheduling process, but some regularity would certainly help. It certainly helps with the TV promotion of the Thursday night TNT games and the Friday night ESPN games, week after week. That's an NFL advantage you are never going to be able to totally replicate, the week-long anticipation for an event that occurs at more or less the same time every week.

If you knew that the Pacers played every Saturday night, for example, or Sunday afternoon after football ends, and half of those were at home, then you could sell a substantial mini-season ticket package for those games. You could sell a mid-week mini-season ticket package at a reduced per-game price if those are less well-attended, or have more marquis games in that package to equalize attendance at the same per game price.

Unclebuck
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
How much of that is up to the Pacers and how much of it is up to the league? If we wanted more Saturday games, would we simply make a request to the league and hope that they'd accommodate us?

IN theory, sure. But there will be trade offs. This season the Pacers have 13 home Friday night games. If they made a big push for more Saturday night games, they would lose Friday night games. The Pacers must beliegve having 13 Friday night games is worth not pushing too hard for Saturday night games. I mean what if the pacers start now bombarding the NBA for more SAturday night games next year and the NBA gives us 3 more, but then says because of that you will get 6 fewer Friday night games. Pacers organization must have decided that it isn't worth it to push for Sat. night games. Maybe they don't want to interfere with college football and college basketball games, maybe they woulkd rather have 2 Friday night games for every 1 Sat. night game.

The Bucks have been playing Saturday night home games for years, they must request them and have for years

RWB
02-22-2013, 09:01 AM
You're exactly right though. The 7 P.M. weeknight games essentially cutoff anyone who doesn't live in the immediate Indy metro area. Even those who live in the Indy metro area can a difficult time making them, depending on what time you get off work and where you live.

It was funny because after the New York game Mrs. RWB and I stopped by the BLF concourse exit just to say hi and bye to the after PD group. First thing Peck says when he sees me is "Hey I thought you couldn't make it to a weekday game" Then BillS walks up and says the exact same thing, The answer is simply Mrs. RWB had to take some vacation time just to make the game. Shoot we had already blown off a number of games in our small game package because we just couldn't make it at a decent time. She get's off work at 6:30pm and on averaqe were and hour and a half (maybe a little more sometimes) away from BLF. If the start time on Fridays was the later 8pm slot you would be seeing our faces a lot more.

ejwallace
02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
They could also make a push for more mid-day Sat/Sun games....A lot of those Mid-day weekend games get televised nationally simply because there are no other teams playing at the same time....That could be a double whammy....Butts in the seats AND national attention....

ejwallace
02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
It was funny because after the New York game Mrs. RWB and I stopped by the BLF concourse exit just to say hi and bye to the after PD group. First thing Peck says when he sees me is "Hey I thought you couldn't make it to a weekday game" Then BillS walks up and says the exact same thing, The answer is simply Mrs. RWB had to take some vacation time just to make the game. Shoot we had already blown off a number of games in our small game package because we just couldn't make it at a decent time. She get's off work at 6:30pm and on averaqe were and hour and a half (maybe a little more sometimes) away from BLF. If the start time on Fridays was the later 8pm slot you would be seeing our faces a lot more.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I live 7 miles across the border into Illinois, and I work in Charleston, IL....I've made a couple of weeknight games by taking vacation time at work just to go....Then there is an hour time change, then a 2 hour drive (from work) to Indy, going to get dinner (I am not paying the prices at BLF for food and drink...$14 for a Sprite and bowl of ice-cream is all I can do), finding parking, THEN comes the hour and a half drive home....My poor 7 year old gets to take a nap in the van, so that helps a little....

It sounds like the Pacers fan base is more spread out as opposed to being centrally located in downtown Indy....Not sure what the solution is, but the marketing strategy is definitely missing the fans that live outside of the city limits....

Unclebuck
02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
They could also make a push for more mid-day Sat/Sun games....A lot of those Mid-day weekend games get televised nationally simply because there are no other teams playing at the same time....That could be a double whammy....Butts in the seats AND national attention....

The NBA and TV partners carefully, very carefully pick those games which will be nationally televised. (There are none on Saturdays). Pacers could request a Sunday evening game be moved to 2:30 (but the road team could not have played the night before though) but ABC is not going to televise it. Also if ABC is televising another game, then the pacers game could not be on local TV.

Since86
02-22-2013, 09:22 AM

I would bet quite a nice sum that when people mention college atmosphere, they're not talking about DePauw.

It would be like me saying that I thought CA was nice, and then someone coming and and telling me I was wrong because Sacramento is a dump. People aren't talking about all 500 and some college programs across all the NCAA.

Sollozzo
02-22-2013, 09:26 AM

No one is talking about Depauw when they mention great college atmosphere (no disrespect to anyone who went there). They are talking about the likes of the Big 10 and Big East, i.e. an intense game like the Michigan State - IU game this week. Those sorts of games have been common in the Big 10 this year. Great match-ups of teams with great histories, players with pro-potential, loud students, etc etc. 99.99% of people in Indiana who mention great college atmosphere are talking about the likes of IU and Purdue, or even Butler and Notre Dame in recent years.

Since86
02-22-2013, 09:26 AM
I'd really like to find out the NBA/PS&E business model to see what they think the average fan should spend per game.

graphic-er
02-22-2013, 09:28 AM
All you folks who complain about your travel time.....doesn't that make any saturday or sunday game that much more important? We have this idea that Colts games are so important because there are only 8 of well, there is only about 8-10 saturday games in a season. Why aren't you there! I mean if this is truly the issue, which I think is a legit issue as I certainly wouldn't drive over an hour on a wednesday to get to Indianapolis after work. Would this mean that you should be buying tickets to every saturday game you can? BLF should sold out on Saturday night, but we have actually rather disappointing attendance most saturday games because the supposed opponent...

Put your money where you mouth is. Don't complain about the amount of saturday games available when we can't even sell out the satuday games we do have.

RWB
02-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Put your money where you mouth is. Don't complain about the amount of saturday games available when we can't even sell out the satuday games we do have.

I hope you're trying to be funny. I think I've paid my dues in support for this team and yes I would like more Saturday games. And by the way... the Pacers have/had a total of 5 Saturday/Sunday for this season. That number is the lowest in the league. 5 my friend compared to 17 for the Bucks.

naptownmenace
02-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I would like to add to the more Saturday games. There is simply no way for me to make it to weekday games, there are many nites I am calling it a day at 7 to catch tip off so driving 115 miles parking etc is out of the question. Sunday games are not much better because I still have to drive 100 miles home and get the kids to bed but a Saturday game we could leave the kids with the grandparents get a hotel and have a night in Indy. That's simply impossible during the week even Fridays would be impossible because I would need to leave at 4 just to drop off the kids and make it down there.

I'm in the exact same boat. They have a lot of Friday night games each year but unless I use Vacation time from work, I just can't make it. I hate missing the introductions and tip-off. Even more Sunday afternoon games (after the NFL season is over) would work out well because I could drive up to Indy and back down to Cincy and still get home before it gets too late.

graphic-er
02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I hope you're trying to be funny. I think I've paid my dues in support for this team and yes I would like more Saturday games. And by the way... the Pacers have/had a total of 5 Saturday/Sunday for this season. That number is the lowest in the league. 5 my friend compared to 17 for the Bucks.

I aint laughing, if there were only 5 games for you to choose from so far. Why aren't you there for them? If you want to go to games, and those are the ones available to you without taking your Vacation time....well? Doesn't mean crap to want more saturday games available if you aren't even going to any of the existing.

Hicks
02-22-2013, 11:09 AM
I thought that was to demonstrate the amazing sound from Klipsh speakers. :)

Am I the only one who thinks music can often NOT sound good at the fieldhouse, both before and after the new speakers? I mean sometimes it does, but particularly the bassier stuff can sound ugly IMO.

Hicks
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
I aint laughing, if there were only 5 games for you to choose from so far. Why aren't you there for them? If you want to go to games, and those are the ones available to you without taking your Vacation time....well? Doesn't mean crap to want more saturday games available if you aren't even going to any of the existing.

Did he say he doesn't go to those games?

graphic-er
02-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Did he say he doesn't go to those games?

Its an indirect response to him and those who say they can only go to weekend games because where they are located.

BPump33
02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks music can often NOT sound good at the fieldhouse, both before and after the new speakers? I mean sometimes it does, but particularly the bassier stuff can sound ugly IMO.

I think it sounds much better in the lower level than the balcony.

cgg
02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Why don't people just get new jobs and move downtown?!

ChicagoJ
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM

You're exactly right though. The 7 P.M. weeknight games essentially cutoff anyone who doesn't live in the immediate Indy metro area. Even those who live in the Indy metro area can have a difficult time making them, depending on what time you get off work and where you live.

Heck, I always preferred 7:30 at MSA when I worked downtown. And the Fieldhouse was just enough further away from the AUL building that 7:30 was actually pushing it for me to the arena.

For years, the farthest west team on Eastern time (never mind that Indiana's time zone selection makes NO SENSE) had the earliest tipoff times. If the Pacers could actually fix the Indiana time zone fiasco/ cluster**** then we could at least walk in the doors of the Fieldhouse in time for tipoff on a Friday night after schools up here dismiss.

RWB
02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Where did I say I don't or haven't went to Saturday games? I and the Mrs. was there for the opening Saturday Kings game. We were there for the Saturday Washington game, and we were there for the Saturday Milwaukee game and already have our tickets in hand for the Sunday Chicago game. Oops we missed that darn Bobcat game. I stand corrected I'm a ****** fan that doesn't support the team and I'll let you know in the future if I'm not there.

J7F
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Ok Pacers are you listening? You've got Ragnar, Jay, and RWB on the same thought and I bet there are more. Also it's kind of funny we've all been here (on PD) since 2004. Means you've got some serious fans here who would like the opportunity to make it to more games.

See the thing I don't understand is you really have to have a job to make money. It takes money to buy a ticket(s). I know times have changed and people work all kinds of shifts and days off and on. I have to believe the majority of folks still probably work a day shift so once again that early start time on a Friday is just killing the out of town folks. And the weak assortment of Saturday/Sunday games just takes away almost all opportunities.

I know that I have to leave work early (usually off at 5 at the earliest) just to be able to make it in time for a tipoff... And I am not all that far away... A buddy of mine is trying to get me to go to a game with him... But we have zero Saturday games at BLF for the rest of the season and we are just one game past the All-Star break...

J7F
02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Its an indirect response to him and those who say they can only go to weekend games because where they are located.

And what if those 5 days happen to be bad timing due to other obligations in life?

Give me 17 options and I've got a much better chance of making it work for me...

Five windows of opportunity out of 41 games at BLF is pretty darn low...

spazzxb
02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Well consider where we are. Indianapolis is in the heart of Big Ten country. Almost everyone in the state roots for either Indiana or Purdue, who both have very good in game atmospheres. Is this the norm throughout the country? Well, no. But I would wager that the majority of people that attend Pacer games also have attended (and naturally compare) a game or two in West Lafayette or Bloomington.

I have seen IPFW and Ball State(both sisters went there) college basketball games only. I Would like to visit Mackey arena someday. Saw Purdue football at the little Ceasers bowl in Detroit.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pacers
02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
They need to advertise more on local TV, but local TV also needs to have more coverage on the Pacers too. Roy, Paul, and G.Hill do a lot of stuff in the community. It covered by the TV sations, but not enough.

Sports is out at all the local tv stations. The only reason they even HAVE a sports department is for tradition sake. If anything is going on, it's sports time that gets cut. Budgets have been SLASHED. They are bare boned. News targets women now, and men (and their interests) can get ****ed. Expect LESS coverage by the media, not more, in the future.

J7F
02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
They need to advertise more on local TV

This!!! And on other channels...

I've payed as little as $1 a spot to run my commercial in Seymour during a regular program on a cable station such as TBS...

The only time I've seen a Pacers commercial is on Fox Sports... You aren't going to catch these people unless they are already watching... Makes little sense to me... Snag some people that aren't paying attention by getting in their faces more...

Peck
02-22-2013, 04:30 PM
No one is talking about Depauw when they mention great college atmosphere (no disrespect to anyone who went there). They are talking about the likes of the Big 10 and Big East, i.e. an intense game like the Michigan State - IU game this week. Those sorts of games have been common in the Big 10 this year. Great match-ups of teams with great histories, players with pro-potential, loud students, etc etc. 99.99% of people in Indiana who mention great college atmosphere are talking about the likes of IU and Purdue, or even Butler and Notre Dame in recent years.

But that is kind of my point. They want to compare apples to oranges. In other words I say I love college basketball but I really mean I love it when IU plays Illinois (that's just an example choose any two teams you like) so that is my definition of why I love collge basketball over the NBA but when I talk about an NBA game I want to talk about why the Pacers game is so dead vs the Raptors.

Apples to Apples would be I love college basketball & I still mean I.U. vs Illinois but I love the NBA when the Pacers play the Bulls/Heat/Knicks etc.

Why is is that only the NBA is held to the standard of having two of the best play at a top level but yet nobody really cares when I.U. plays Peperdine (I don't even know if they even play each other again, it's just an example).

Anybody who doesn't think there is atmoshpere at an NBA game has never been to a top tier rivalry game before. I assure you when the Bulls come to town there is plenty of atmospher, in fact there is way to much.

Bball
02-22-2013, 06:07 PM
...Because IU fans have faith their team is on the verge of a national championship... Even during the early years with Crean their was an optimism about what was coming in a few years. I'm sure several college B-ball fans have faith their team is on the verge of a national championship.

And something else.... making the tournament seems to mean more than just making the playoffs in the NBA. A WIN in the tournament means a lot more.

So maybe there's something to the importance of every college game as to your big dance chances, and then to your seeding versus a seemingly meaningless game against the Raptors on some Tues night?

The NBA just has a different business model. There ARE meaningless games, especially when things like HCA are a distant dream just compared to making the playoffs. And making the playoffs isn't like the NCAA where anything can happen. You can steal a game... but the other team still has 6 more chances to advance. Steal a game in the big dance and you're moving on to the next round.

The only way to increase importance on a game by game basis in the NBA is by the fans having faith in their team's playoff chances to care about HCA and seedings in November (unless someone actually believes the NBA would ever shorten the reg season). And you get that by winning. Winning in the regular season and winning in the playoffs. Take the favorite to a tough 7th game where fans realize you're for real and have a chance. Make "next year" clearly more important than the past year with everyone realizing you have a chance to have HCA for some or all of the playoffs. But it's still a process. A long, time consuming process. A process with setbacks. A process with pleasant surprises.

The team needs to make sure casual fans (or potential casual fans) are clearly apprised of the team's positive progress. We seem to rely on national games and mentions to do that now. Again, you only get there by winning and slowly being taken more seriously. I do think that process could be sped up with some Pacer marketing, especially now that the team is for real, making real progress, BUT had such a disconnect with fans in recent history. But if PS&E are satisfied with just letting the general populace stumble across the Pacers' improvements and changes with the occassional national TV appearance or Sportscenter highlight when beating an NBA darling, then it is what it is and nobody should expect there's a giant switch waiting to be flipped.

IMHO...

graphic-er
02-23-2013, 12:11 AM
...Because IU fans have faith their team is on the verge of a national championship... Even during the early years with Crean their was an optimism about what was coming in a few years. I'm sure several college B-ball fans have faith their team is on the verge of a national championship.

And something else.... making the tournament seems to mean more than just making the playoffs in the NBA. A WIN in the tournament means a lot more.

So maybe there's something to the importance of every college game as to your big dance chances, and then to your seeding versus a seemingly meaningless game against the Raptors on some Tues night?

The NBA just has a different business model. There ARE meaningless games, especially when things like HCA are a distant dream just compared to making the playoffs. And making the playoffs isn't like the NCAA where anything can happen. You can steal a game... but the other team still has 6 more chances to advance. Steal a game in the big dance and you're moving on to the next round.

The only way to increase importance on a game by game basis in the NBA is by the fans having faith in their team's playoff chances to care about HCA and seedings in November (unless someone actually believes the NBA would ever shorten the reg season). And you get that by winning. Winning in the regular season and winning in the playoffs. Take the favorite to a tough 7th game where fans realize you're for real and have a chance. Make "next year" clearly more important than the past year with everyone realizing you have a chance to have HCA for some or all of the playoffs. But it's still a process. A long, time consuming process. A process with setbacks. A process with pleasant surprises.

The team needs to make sure casual fans (or potential casual fans) are clearly apprised of the team's positive progress. We seem to rely on national games and mentions to do that now. Again, you only get there by winning and slowly being taken more seriously. I do think that process could be sped up with some Pacer marketing, especially now that the team is for real, making real progress, BUT had such a disconnect with fans in recent history. But if PS&E are satisfied with just letting the general populace stumble across the Pacers' improvements and changes with the occassional national TV appearance or Sportscenter highlight when beating an NBA darling, then it is what it is and nobody should expect there's a giant switch waiting to be flipped.

IMHO...

I can't believe anyone can think that every college game has some major importantance. It just pure BS. The teams you refer to as on the verge of winning it all play half their season against powder puff teams to make themselves look good going into league play. Its a terrible system. IU gets to hand pick which teams they get to slap around for the first 10-11 games. Then everyone was supposed to be impressed they were undefeated. Get real college basketball. Its a very flawed system, the big to do is determine by evaluations voted on by a huge committee that wants to look out for their own conferences. Its predetermined to favor big time schools, and yet we knock the NBA about the star treatment? NCAA has an entire tournament based on rewarding privileged teams.

Since86
02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
But that is kind of my point. They want to compare apples to oranges. In other words I say I love college basketball but I really mean I love it when IU plays Illinois (that's just an example choose any two teams you like) so that is my definition of why I love collge basketball over the NBA but when I talk about an NBA game I want to talk about why the Pacers game is so dead vs the Raptors.

But it is apples to apples. It's what you choose to spend your money on. Money is a finite thing, so things compete for your dollar. A lot of other things, like IU basketball, gets picked first.

The atmosphere at playoff games is pretty much the atmosphere at every IU game. People like that. They don't like the long, boring regular season.

No reason to brave the cold, light but still crappy traffic, over priced food/drink when you can just watch them at home. People are watching, aren't the tv ratings up? As TJ has been saying. Just keep winning.

habart30
02-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Was this a movie version of the NBA because it doesn't match many games I've seen, at least outside of tanking teams late in the season.

I'm with Buck, let the Pacers HUMILIATE the Hoosiers by a good 50 points and let the yokels explain that in basketball terms. The Pacers would beat the living hell out of any NCAA team, just like the Heat, OKC, SAS, etc would. They are faster, they are more sophisticated in their schemes, the vertical game is unbelievable and the strength in the post would kill them.

The Pacers pushed the ball up harder in the NYK blowout than even the UNC track meet team of Tyler's title season was capable of doing. West, Paul, Lance and Sam would gobble up 20 of those classic slow NCAA ball reversals for dunks the other way, and Roy would knock out 5 blocks before they just stopped going to the lane at all.

You are totally off topic and obviously did not understand my point..

RobfromPacers
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
First off, my apologies for not responding earlier. The day you posted, I had a draft typed up when my system shut down. Though there is auto-save, I felt like re-writing it anyway so here I am. I'll go through each recommendation. Before doing so, I wanted to emphasize that I truly appreciate the feedback. You did a great job of providing constructive criticism without making me (or the department) feel defensive. That's difficult to do especially on an open board.

1. Increase merchandise retail availability. It's mind boggling that Pacers gear is non-existent in retail giants like Target and Walmart. Try finding a sweatshirt anywhere other than the Homecourt gift shop. It's harder than finding Carmen SanDiego! A t-shirt on a rack or in the window of a shop at the mall is advertisement. Tons of casual sports fans could be reached this way. Heck, someone might even buy one once they know that they exist!

Nice Carmen San Diego reference.

Merchandise has some complexities to it. Licensing occurs on the league-level. As an example, the Gold Swagger T-shirts you saw in Meijer last summer were licensed by the league.

One way we could improve internally is by working directly with those who do license it to provide better placement. We've done some of this but need to improve. Even if someone doesn't buy it, having that awareness is big.

2. Pacers players and the organization have been doing a great job getting the message out via social media and have made several appearances here and there. A better way of getting the attention of basketball fans would be to set up appearances at Butler, IU, and Purdue games. Get a few on air interviews set up where they can comment on the college team and how the Pacers are playing this year. Just sitting in the crowd could get the Pacers a few Twitter mentions or a shoutout during the telecast or on SportsCenter later that night.

This is a part of the marketing efforts now. Some of it happens organically (i.e., Paul George likes watching basketball games on any level, so that's why you saw him in Assembly Hall for the IU/Mich game) and some of it is planned. To help launch this year's G2 Zone, Paul, George Hill, and Lance Stephenson spent time around Memorial Hall during the Ball State/IU football game. Additionally, since 2006, we've taken Boomer, Pacemates, and/or PS&E staffers to a variety of campuses on an annual basis, including Butler, IUPUI, Marian, IU, Purdue, Ball State, U of Indy, Martin, Ivy Tech, Anderson, Wabash, and DePauw (I'm sure i missed one). Typically, while there, we had out flyers about Pacers College Night (this year presented by the Indiana National Guard).

3. New Uniforms. Changing the uniforms would go a long way to help people see that this is a new Pacers team. It would also distance this team from all the losing and frustrating years. This isn't something that they can do this season but it should be a definite change starting next season.

Would you only redesign the uniforms or would you also consider adjusting the Pacers brand including the logo?

4. Get the local media to support the team. Give them tickets, t-shirts, polos, mugs, or whatever it takes to get them interested in the team. Don't just do it once. Do it at least once a month. Tell them to pass some of it on to their family and friends. What does 100 mugs cost? They're really cheap to produce but could be worth word-of-mouth and/or media gold when given to the right people.

We've done some of this throughout the season. As an example, at the beginning of the season we personally distributed Opening Night bottle openers, Blue Collar Gold Swagger T-shirts, and a few other items to local media. Though we all want more coverage, we have hosted more media this year than any last including non-sports media.

5. Similar to the idea above but this centers around promoting the team to all the bars in the city. Not just downtown but in Muncie, Bloomington, Lafayette, and Fort Wayne. Posters with just the schedule on them are great for the teams and the bars. Have a few of the Pacers drop once in a to have their pictures taken with the owners and bartenders.

We distributed a couple 100K in pocket schedules throughout Indiana including the cities you mentioned. We can cover the state because we have interns from all over. Plus, Area 55's Kyle Brumback helped us place pocket schedules around Hatford City and Duke Dynamite helped us in Bedford.

Completely agree we need to increase our grassroots efforts, especially now. We take the Pacers Fan Van to 100s of events a year but we still need to increase it. You'll see more of this happening over the next couple months.

Appreciate the feedback. If you would like more details, then feel free to email me and we can discuss.

RobfromPacers
02-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Tweets like this from Paul George are not an accident.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Great time at the game! The atmosphere was CRAZY! Support the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23HoosierNation">#HoosierNation</a></p> Paul George (@Paul_George24) <a href="https://twitter.com/Paul_George24/status/297934637836156930">February 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The marketing department had nothing to do with PG tweeting that. Though we worked w/ PG, George, and Lance to have them go to IU for the Ball State game, we had nothing to do with that. He's made Indy a second home. He is truly impressive.

RobfromPacers
02-24-2013, 05:28 PM

I also don't get how you don't see lots of little Pacers items in windows, etc. I commented on that in another thread, how I was shocked to see a Pacers schedule in one of the windows on Market (maybe the comic store).

We take posters throughout downtown about once a month. We also take them throughout central Indiana (always getting owner approval wherever we go). Generally, they'll stay up for a couple weeks. The owners of the Comic Book store are big Pacers fans. They keep the poster up for the entire season.

Lord Helmet
02-24-2013, 05:31 PM
I was in Plainfield last night (Dad's bar band were playing a cancer benefit show) it was at Teddy's Burger joint, good burger, BTW, it's a sports bar/restaurant type deal, and was my first time being there, but anyway, there were about 25+ TV's there and NONE of them had the game on. I had to ask them to turn it on, which I find as a problem.

Although it was refreshing once I got a few TV's with the game turned on, I saw some other people ask for the TV by their booth to turn it on.

I just don't get it, honestly. The Frickers (which is a small chain of Bdubs like restaurants in Ohio and they have one location in Richmond) always has the Reds games on during the summer. 80% of their TV's have the Reds on them. Whenever they play. Even back when they were terrible.

Just annoys the hell out of me that I always have to ask for the game to be turned on, it is our pro-team, after all. If Purdue was playing I would wager a few bucks saying those TV's would have Purdue on, and most definitely IU.

RobfromPacers
02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
This!!! And on other channels...

I've payed as little as $1 a spot to run my commercial in Seymour during a regular program on a cable station such as TBS...

The only time I've seen a Pacers commercial is on Fox Sports... You aren't going to catch these people unless they are already watching... Makes little sense to me... Snag some people that aren't paying attention by getting in their faces more...

We ran TV in market in late November and early December (see the spots here (http://www.nba.com/pacers/pacers-blue-collar-gold-swagger-tv-spots)). The end of each spot promoted Holiday Packs, which were very successful this year.

Who were you buying spots on TBS for $1 from? I don't care what time of day it was -$1 is crazy low. Generally speaking, you'll see spots in local market range from $20 to $2000 based on the projected ratings.

Our spots ran on Fox 59, WTHR, ESPN, Comedy Central, and a variety of other stations.

idioteque
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Rob I know this question wasn't directed to me but I don't think the Pacers logo should be tweaked with that much. If anything I would remove the grey outline but that's about it. If we ever got rid of blue P with the gold basketball, well it would be a tough adjustment.

Mo Tibbs
02-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Would you only redesign the uniforms or would you also consider adjusting the Pacers brand including the logo?

I would call for a uniform redisign. I think the current ones are bland especially the road all blue and alternate all gold. Can you get rid of the "stamp" logo? It's boring and the P with the basketball is good enough to stand on its own.

cdash
02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Rob I know this question wasn't directed to me but I don't think the Pacers logo should be tweaked with that much. If anything I would remove the grey outline but that's about it. If we ever got rid of blue P with the gold basketball, well it would be a tough adjustment.

Yes, I completely agree--I absolutely do NOT want to see a complete brand redesign of the Pacers. The uniforms are bland and need an update. The logo and colors are fine the way they are. I do agree that getting rid of the grey outline would be a plus, though.

Sollozzo
02-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes, I completely agree--I absolutely do NOT want to see a complete brand redesign of the Pacers. The uniforms are bland and need an update. The logo and colors are fine the way they are. I do agree that getting rid of the grey outline would be a plus, though.

Agreed. The uniforms are extremely bland, particularly after looking at them for eight years now. We desperately need some new threads. I agree that the logo and colors are fine, and I'd also be in favor of removing the grey outline. I never understood the point of making the slight alteration to the logo in 2005. We didn't improve it at all. The one from 1990-2005 was fine and we shouldn't have tinkered with it.

cdash
02-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Agreed. The uniforms are extremely bland, particularly after looking at them for eight years now. We desperately need some new threads. I agree that the logo and colors are fine, and I'd also be in favor of removing the grey outline. I never understood the point of making the slight alteration to the logo in 2005. We didn't improve it at all. The one from 1990-2005 was fine and we shouldn't have tinkered with it.

Yeah I didn't get that either. To me, the P with the ball in it is great on it's own--I don't even think it needs to have the "Pacers" written with it. I just like the P and the ball. I think the court design would look really good if we removed the "stamp" logo at center court and just put a huge P/ball logo there in it's place.

Sollozzo
02-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah I didn't get that either. To me, the P with the ball in it is great on it's own--I don't even think it needs to have the "Pacers" written with it. I just like the P and the ball. I think the court design would look really good if we removed the "stamp" logo at center court and just put a huge P/ball logo there in it's place.

I could roll with having just a big P at center court.

Also, the Fieldhouse court looked so much better from 1999-2005 when we had the blue out of bounds with gold lettering. I hate having an unpainted out of bounds like we've had these past eight years. It just looks too bland, IMHO.

solid
02-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Get a better freakin TV deal. When I was growing up I could watch most of the Pacers games with rabbit ears on channel 4.

NOW even with a mid level dish package I have to pay extra to see the games. Sucks.

I'm guessing that there are many thousands fewer viewers than before and your paid attendees are those who get jacked up watching the games THEN want to go see them live.

pizza guy
02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
I would like to see a redesigned logo. The current one just seems so awkward to me. Nothing about it is exciting or fresh. I have tried to come up with ideas, but it's not easy. Rel is the poster to get those ideas from.

cdash
02-24-2013, 07:23 PM
I would like to see a redesigned logo. The current one just seems so awkward to me. Nothing about it is exciting or fresh. I have tried to come up with ideas, but it's not easy. Rel is the poster to get those ideas from.

I would love using something like your avatar photo as a secondary logo. If it were up to me, I'd like to see the stamp logo scrapped altogether, with the P going back to being the primary logo and something like your avatar photo or some of Rel's other designs as a secondary logo.

pizza guy
02-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Here's an idea I had. Similar concept, but inverted. No sharp edges, a little more balance and motion to it.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx261/SmittyPK/IMG_20130103_223855.jpg

EDIT: sorry for the huge file size, I posted from my phone

Roaming Gnome
02-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Get a better freakin TV deal. When I was growing up I could watch most of the Pacers games with rabbit ears on channel 4.

NOW even with a mid level dish package I have to pay extra to see the games. Sucks.

I'm guessing that there are many thousands fewer viewers than before and your paid attendees are those who get jacked up watching the games THEN want to go see them live.

Those are times gone by... Local broadcast television stations have been controlled by networks like the CW for quite some time. These networks much rather have & mandate their "prime time line up" be on the air instead of local sports. The Pacers are not the only team that suffered. Looks like IU fan has adjusted quite well to all his games being on cable.

Personally, I hated games on 4 when I moved to Indianapolis. I love knowing I just have to go to one place for my Pacers.

naptownmenace
02-25-2013, 12:12 AM
First off, my apologies for not responding earlier. The day you posted, I had a draft typed up when my system shut down. Though there is auto-save, I felt like re-writing it anyway so here I am. I'll go through each recommendation. Before doing so, I wanted to emphasize that I truly appreciate the feedback. You did a great job of providing constructive criticism without making me (or the department) feel defensive. That's difficult to do especially on an open board.

Nice Carmen San Diego reference.

Merchandise has some complexities to it. Licensing occurs on the league-level. As an example, the Gold Swagger T-shirts you saw in Meijer last summer were licensed by the league.

One way we could improve internally is by working directly with those who do license it to provide better placement. We've done some of this but need to improve. Even if someone doesn't buy it, having that awareness is big.

This is a part of the marketing efforts now. Some of it happens organically (i.e., Paul George likes watching basketball games on any level, so that's why you saw him in Assembly Hall for the IU/Mich game) and some of it is planned. To help launch this year's G2 Zone, Paul, George Hill, and Lance Stephenson spent time around Memorial Hall during the Ball State/IU football game. Additionally, since 2006, we've taken Boomer, Pacemates, and/or PS&E staffers to a variety of campuses on an annual basis, including Butler, IUPUI, Marian, IU, Purdue, Ball State, U of Indy, Martin, Ivy Tech, Anderson, Wabash, and DePauw (I'm sure i missed one). Typically, while there, we had out flyers about Pacers College Night (this year presented by the Indiana National Guard).

We've done some of this throughout the season. As an example, at the beginning of the season we personally distributed Opening Night bottle openers, Blue Collar Gold Swagger T-shirts, and a few other items to local media. Though we all want more coverage, we have hosted more media this year than any last including non-sports media.

We distributed a couple 100K in pocket schedules throughout Indiana including the cities you mentioned. We can cover the state because we have interns from all over. Plus, Area 55's Kyle Brumback helped us place pocket schedules around Hatford City and Duke Dynamite helped us in Bedford.

Completely agree we need to increase our grassroots efforts, especially now. We take the Pacers Fan Van to 100s of events a year but we still need to increase it. You'll see more of this happening over the next couple months.

Appreciate the feedback. If you would like more details, then feel free to email me and we can discuss.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Rob. I was hoping to hear from you. I know you're taking this seriously and based on all the things you mentioned above, it's clear that the Pacers marketing team is working hard to reach the public.

Regarding the question about whether or not the logos should be updated along with the uniforms, my answer is yes! That doesn't mean it needs to be totally re-done (although I'm not against that idea) but when most companies go through a rebranding they include changes to their logo.

Hicks
02-25-2013, 08:42 AM
I'd basically leave the logo alone as well. Maybe remove the gray outline, maybe consider a different shade of blue (back to royal?), and maybe change the font again for 'Pacers' (or just drop the 'Pacers' altogether and let the P stand on its own).

But please get away from the sickly/pale court I've had to endure for 8 years. Much prefer the original or at least something new with more color brought back. I'd prefer something like the original floor.

And the jerseys seem like the most obvious thing that needs to be replaced because they evoke the bad years post-Brawl. The real trick is coming up with something new that people won't hate. That, or do what GSW and UTA and I believe PHI did and bring back an old jersey full time. Pin stripes or FloJos.

Coopdog23
02-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I'd basically leave the logo alone as well. Maybe remove the gray outline, maybe consider a different shade of blue (back to royal?), and maybe change the font again for 'Pacers' (or just drop the 'Pacers' altogether and let the P stand on its own).

But please get away from the sickly/pale court I've had to endure for 8 years. Much prefer the original or at least something new with more color brought back. I'd prefer something like the original floor.

And the jerseys seem like the most obvious thing that needs to be replaced because they evoke the bad years post-Brawl. The real trick is coming up with something new that people won't hate. That, or do what GSW and UTA and I believe PHI did and bring back an old jersey full time. Pin stripes or FloJos.

Every one of your ideas is correct. I hate the court we have now and want the old one from MSA with the yellow basketball as the free throw line circle. I would like to bring back the pinstripes as the normal jerseys but I don't hate our jerseys now. I like the gold jerseys we have now. We also need the old logo as well

Sollozzo
02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Every one of your ideas is correct. I hate the court we have now and want the old one from MSA with the yellow basketball as the free throw line circle. I would like to bring back the pinstripes as the normal jerseys but I don't hate our jerseys now. I like the gold jerseys we have now. We also need the old logo as well

Yeah, the basketball as the free throw line circle was sweet. We should have brought that to Conseco.

TinManJoshua
02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
I like the current colors and I wouldn't mind "going retro" with the chest stripes in the current color scheme. Add a gold alternate, that doesn't have a stripe.

greengirl33
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Out of curiosity, was there a problem getting merchandise before the brawl? When Bird was announced to be your coach, my mom ran out and bought me a couple of Pacer hats & banners. The fact that a little old lady in South Eastern MA could go to her local mall and grab Pacer gear (yes I still have them) seems odd to me with you guys having an issue. I've been going with the assumption when fans get back, you'll have an easier time - circle of life. Wondering if I was on target or not.

Unclebuck
02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Am I the only one who still likes these current uniforms?

Indra
02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
I would just like to chime in here as well. I was a staunch defender of the jerseys just a year or two ago, but I agree that they need to go. They don't reflect the new identity of this team. Hell, they're the same jerseys Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy wore. That's not a slight towards those guys, but this is a very different team now, and to really usher in a new era and generate some excitement they deserve some new gear. I don't know that the logo needs to be changed unless it's bringing back the old-school hand-on-the-ball logo. I would kill to see that as the main logo.

Also, I agree that we need to bring back the yellow ball for the free-throw circle. That was one of my most lasting memories about the Pacers when I was young. The floor in general needs to be spruced back up. Nothing crazy, but something to remind you that you're at a Pacers game!

I don't want it to seem like all I want is everything to be exactly as it was 20 years ago, but those were great times to be a Pacers fan and some nods to that end would tug at the heart-strings.

I don't hate them as much as others on here do, but I agree that it's time for a change.

TinManJoshua
02-25-2013, 12:41 PM

I kind of do, but I'd like to tone down the trim on the side panels.

naptownmenace
02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Here is a great logo that I think would be especially popular with fans in the Hoosier state (courtesy of Pacers member Rel):
Alternate State Flag Logo
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Indiana-Pacers-TEAM-REBRAND/4722109

There are some interesting jersey concepts there as well.

Here's another that got noticed by ESPN last May:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/visuals/post/_/id/1428/indiana-pacers-fan-has-redesign-for-team

Coopdog23
02-25-2013, 02:01 PM

I like the gold alternate ones

Unclebuck
02-25-2013, 02:10 PM
I like the gold alternate ones

Yes, our gold while playing against the Buls red and with everyone at the fieldhouse wearing Gold swagger shirts that looks great on TV and in person.

Bball
02-25-2013, 02:33 PM

I've never liked them. ...and due to their connection to the 'JailPacers' era I'm surprised they weren't swapped out way before now.

EDIT: I don't hate them per se'.... just they are far from my favorite Pacer uniforms...

Downtown Bang!
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
If the team is going retro it has to be the Flo-Jo's. Retire the pinstripes forever please.

Mo Tibbs
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Here is a great logo that I think would be especially popular with fans in the Hoosier state (courtesy of Pacers member Rel):
Alternate State Flag Logo
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Indiana-Pacers-TEAM-REBRAND/4722109

There are some interesting jersey concepts there as well.

Here's another that got noticed by ESPN last May:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/visuals/post/_/id/1428/indiana-pacers-fan-has-redesign-for-team

In the first link, the ones on Paul George look awesome! I wouldn't mind the second link either. And I would be a fan of just bringing back the FloJo's lol.

Unclebuck
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
I've never liked them. ...and due to their connection to the 'JailPacers' era I'm surprised they weren't swapped out way before now.

EDIT: I don't hate them per se'.... just they are far from my favorite Pacer uniforms...

I wonder how much people associate uniforms to certain things like that. I've never heard anyone do that (except in this forum) I certainly don't. I associate some players with certain things, but not uniforms.

Sollozzo
02-25-2013, 05:42 PM

It seems that way lol.

I've never liked them. I thought they were extremely bland from the start, and I'm simply tired of looking at them after eight years. The Pacer need money right? Well I can't think of a better way to get some revenue than by busting out some new jerseys for this new era of Pacers ball.

We've had them for eight years. That's the same amount of years we had the pinstripes, and is actually one more year than we had the Flo-Jos. I think almost any Pacer fan thinks that the pinstripes and Flo-Jo's were way better uniforms.

Coopdog23
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes, our gold while playing against the Buls red and with everyone at the fieldhouse wearing Gold swagger shirts that looks great on TV and in person.

We can keep those but we should bring the pinstripes back as the primaries

pizza guy
02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
As much as I love the Flo-Jos, don't just bring them back exactly as they were. Rel's concept is great because it's a clear nod to those uniforms, but they're very much current and stylish.

Ben Phillipe put a lot of effort into his concepts, but please don't use them, lol. Just too much going on, a big mash-up of different eras.

Also, let me place another vote in favor of the basketball at the free throw line and more vibrant colors on the court.

docpaul
02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Rob, do you all do you commercials and video work in-house?

If not, I wonder if you all could try out some different companies for different ads?

The whole approach to graphics, music, etc... at times looks almost a little too old school and similar to something I would see in 2004. :)

It seems as if you could give some young companies a shot to create a new vibe for the team, and perhaps even a little edge? Maybe mock the fact that the JailPacers time has come and passed, or something like that?

The bottom line is, the team is different, and the product now is clearly solid and something that locals will get behind. Maybe it's time to turn a leaf on some of the engagement strategies to wake up the community?

docpaul
02-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Is there anyone who didn't like the throwback lighter blue "racing stripe" jerseys from last season?

Why these don't get more burn is beyond me?

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/2a/fullj.87b1333d30f7dd333221ee9bfdd689a1/ap-201201311937706769960.jpg

Indra
02-26-2013, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure what the appeal is, but I really don't like the FloJo's. I owned several as a kid, I grew up during that era, I loved those Pacers, I don't like the jerseys. I know that's an unpopular opinion on here, but I would rather not see those make a comeback. Let them stay retired.

RobfromPacers
02-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Rob, do you all do you commercials and video work in-house?

If not, I wonder if you all could try out some different companies for different ads?

The whole approach to graphics, music, etc... at times looks almost a little too old school and similar to something I would see in 2004. :)

It seems as if you could give some young companies a shot to create a new vibe for the team, and perhaps even a little edge? Maybe mock the fact that the JailPacers time has come and passed, or something like that?

The bottom line is, the team is different, and the product now is clearly solid and something that locals will get behind. Maybe it's time to turn a leaf on some of the engagement strategies to wake up the community?

Some are done in-house, others are done in coordination with our marketing agency. For example, the #GrangerReturns video was filmed and edited by our marketing agency in coordination with a couple of us here.

RobfromPacers
02-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Several have mentioned that we need to get in the community more. One guy who doesn't get enough credit for being out and about every day is Boomer. This week alone, he's visited a variety of elementary schools, including North Madison and Danville North. And nothing against the players, but there isn't a guy on our team - past or present - that gets the ovation and energy that Boomer gets when going into an elementary school. A few photos are below.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/858785_10151304254147862_1264854354_o.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/860398_10151315938382862_263707530_o.jpg

threein73
02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Is there anyone who didn't like the throwback lighter blue "racing stripe" jerseys from last season?

Why these don't get more burn is beyond me?

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/2a/fullj.87b1333d30f7dd333221ee9bfdd689a1/ap-201201311937706769960.jpg

My favorite uniforms of all time! Love em!

Sparhawk
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
My favorite uniforms of all time! Love em!

Yep. Wish these were the official jerseys of the Pacers.

BillS
02-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Several have mentioned that we need to get in the community more. One guy who doesn't get enough credit for being out and about every day is Boomer. This week alone, he's visited a variety of elementary schools, including North Madison and Danville North. And nothing against the players, but there isn't a guy on our team - past or present - that gets the ovation and energy that Boomer gets when going into an elementary school. A few photos are below.

That's pretty cool.

What is the strategy for getting some of that Boomer energy to transfer up as the kids get older (or up to their parents)? One difficulty is that the least expensive seats are the hardest ones for Boomer to spend time hanging around in (I know he gets up to the balcony, but the time he needs to spend on the floor makes that a long haul and the rake of the seats makes some of his antics up there harder to do), and that's where some of these kids and families will spend their first few times at the game. That was one advantage of Bowser, you always had one mascot able to work the seats while the other worked the floor.

Any chance of a "Boomer's Kids Section" where after these visits there are some ticket deals made available to the families and a section set aside that includes specific visits by Boomer plus pre-game or post-game visits by a player?

Speaking of that, whatever happened to the player sponsored special sections for kids who couldn't otherwise afford to get to the game? Did that end up going away due to the bad feeling about the character of the players? I think Foster was the last one to sponsor one as I recall. Or did it get subsumed by the idea of the player sponsored crazy fan sections, which is a great idea but serves a totally different purpose?

ejwallace
02-28-2013, 01:05 PM
So I did a quick google search on "Pacers Court" and found this

http://i.imgur.com/ITWAJ.png

I would LOVE to see this whole idea implemented, with the acception of the center circle...Not a fan of that part, but otherwise, this is ingenious.....

Credit for the design comes from HERE (http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/90316-nba-courts/)

RWB
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Kind of along the lines BillS has pointed out is/has there been a non-alcohol area in the past that is family oriented? Might be something to think about as some parents do not like beer sales in their area.

ejwallace
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Any chance of a "Boomer's Kids Section" where after these visits there are some ticket deals made available to the families and a section set aside that includes specific visits by Boomer plus pre-game or post-game visits by a player?

Do you mean something like THIS (http://www.nba.com/pacers/kids-club-home)??

BillS
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Do you mean something like THIS (http://www.nba.com/pacers/kids-club-home)??

Not quite the same - thinking of something that is a single game and gives a discount to the parent.

Kids Club is really for someone who is either already sold on the Pacers or whose parent(s) are already sold. There needs to be an intermediate introduction, I think, especially since the accompanying parent/guardian pretty much has to spend $250+ on tickets for the 12 games.

The single game and the Kids Club section could be shared, though.

RobfromPacers
02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Not quite the same - thinking of something that is a single game and gives a discount to the parent.

Kids Club is really for someone who is either already sold on the Pacers or whose parent(s) are already sold. There needs to be an intermediate introduction, I think, especially since the accompanying parent/guardian pretty much has to spend $250+ on tickets for the 12 games.

The single game and the Kids Club section could be shared, though.

I do like the idea of finding another kid-friendly option on a single-game basis. Part of the purpose of Lucas Oil Family Night is to provide a value-friendly option on primarily weekend games. Though we position it as a family four pack of sorts, the offer is available to any sized family (including families of 1, of course).

Regarding the Kids Club, the kids get up to 12 tickets free, so the parent or guardian has options on when they decide to take their kid(s) to the game and are not required to use all 12. It is sort of our version of "Kids Eat Free" as some restaurants have done.