PDA

View Full Version : Quandry - ugh!

ABADays
12-19-2004, 11:54 AM
I don't know either team won that game last night looking at the box score. Maybe it was a case of which team wanted to lose it the most.

Everybody played ugly. Now here is the quandry. I don't like Jamaal Tinsley taking 31 shots. I don't like him getting only 4 assists. And I'm really beginning not to like how much he is getting pounded by repeatedly going inside like he has been lately. I realize he is doing what he CAN do but I don't really think it's what he SHOULD be doing. Last night it looked more like 1-on-5 way too many times. But I guess it's a case of what else you gonna do? There was nobody to go to.

I must be just thinking out loud. Sorry.

MistyRo76
12-19-2004, 01:21 PM
If Jamaal didn't take 31 shots last night, then the Pacers lose by more than they did. In the first half, he was doing a great job of getting people open looks in good spots, but nobody was hitting anything. If the rest of the Pacers hit even half of those good looks that they got from Tinsley passes, Jamaal would have probably had double digit assits and he would have not had to shoot it as much. While I have always loved Tinsley's passing skills and his ability to get everyone else involved, right now he needs to score. And he needs someone else to step up with him. I really love the agressive way that Tins is playing right now. He is just gutting it out night after night, playing hurt and tired. If the other players are hitting their shots, Tinsley is more than content to sit back and get them open. But if they aren't, he turns it up a notch and makes things happen. Last night, the Bulls couldn't contain him without fouling him, sending him to the line 15 times.

TheSauceMaster
12-19-2004, 01:42 PM
If Jamaal didn't take 31 shots last night, then the Pacers lose by more than they did. In the first half, he was doing a great job of getting people open looks in good spots, but nobody was hitting anything. If the rest of the Pacers hit even half of those good looks that they got from Tinsley passes, Jamaal would have probably had double digit assits and he would have not had to shoot it as much. While I have always loved Tinsley's passing skills and his ability to get everyone else involved, right now he needs to score. And he needs someone else to step up with him. I really love the agressive way that Tins is playing right now. He is just gutting it out night after night, playing hurt and tired. If the other players are hitting their shots, Tinsley is more than content to sit back and get them open. But if they aren't, he turns it up a notch and makes things happen. Last night, the Bulls couldn't contain him without fouling him, sending him to the line 15 times.

I strongly disagree if all our hopes rest on Tinsley were screwed since we have more injuries , if Ron woulda shot 11/31 there would have been a blood letting of mass size. The past 2 games he's been focusing on scoring and not distrbuting the ball which isn't his strong point ..yes he scored 33 in a losing effort but when it takes that many shots to score 33 then your kinda sucking IMHO.

If anything we missed David Harrison the most last night , the Bulls gave us a golden op to get back in the game and all we did was jack up 3's and poor shots. I want the old Tinsley back that gives the balls to the actual shooters on the team. Also if he keeps getting pounded like he is expect him to be the next Pacers injury.

I pretty much agree 100% with what ABA is saying .

DisplacedKnick
12-19-2004, 02:19 PM
I want the old Tinsley back that gives the balls to the actual shooters on the team. Also if he keeps getting pounded like he is expect him to be the next Pacers injury.

Look at last night's box score and tell me who the legitimate shooters were.

I didn't see the game but the first thing I noticed from the box was how many shots Tinsley took. The second thing was the shooting % of the rest of the team.

Tinsley shot 11 of 31, 35%, and scored 33 points on those shots. That's not very good.

The rest of the team shot 15 of 54, 28%, and scored 38 points on those shots. That's abysmal.

Who were these shooters?

TheSauceMaster
12-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Look at last night's box score and tell me who the legitimate shooters were.

I didn't see the game but the first thing I noticed from the box was how many shots Tinsley took. The second thing was the shooting % of the rest of the team.

Tinsley shot 11 of 31, 35%, and scored 33 points on those shots. That's not very good.

The rest of the team shot 15 of 54, 28%, and scored 38 points on those shots. That's abysmal.

Who were these shooters?

wouldn't know tinsley was jacking up to many shots and not passing to give someone else a chance to get there shot going ;) I am not saying anyone else was shooting better but you don't know until you pass. alot of a shooters are rythm shooters.

JO_pace
12-19-2004, 06:52 PM
he shot too many times yesterday...even kobe rarely shoot 30+ a night...

I feel he should pass the ball more, he was hogging a bit yesterday. Like SauceMaster said, many people like reggie are rhythm shooters..who knows if you don't give them more chances to shoot. I like the idea of penetrating inside for the layup, but shooting that many times himself is really a bit much.

Hicks
12-19-2004, 07:27 PM
If Ron were still playing, but the rest of the team is as it was last night, I would be OK with him taking a lot of shots; he'd be clear and away our best offensive option. 31 shots? That's a lot, but he'd probably score more with them than Tinsley. Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't get on Ron for that.

beast23
12-19-2004, 08:19 PM
When you are not getting any productivity from the interior, it puts all that much more pressure on he backcourt players to "make something happen".

But I would still agree that Tinsley, and at times even Freddie, are holding the ball too much and looking too hard to call their own numbers.

During this time without O'Neal and Jackson, it is very important that the Pacers keep running their offense. The last few games we have definitely gotten away from how we were playing and how we were performing the first few games following the suspensions. We've got to be careful, or some of these bad habits will spill over into our play after our suspended and injured players return.

karl_55
12-19-2004, 08:47 PM
AI got 54 points on 17-29 shooting in win for the 76'ers. thats 21 more points than tinsley and on less shots. I'm not saying tinsley should get 54 because that was an great performance by AI but if hes going to take 31 shots he has to hit more than 11 for the pacers to win

Hoop
12-19-2004, 09:18 PM
:shakehead

Ragnar
12-20-2004, 09:20 AM
If you are blaming Tinsley for the loss then you must not have watched the same game I watched. If Reggie would have shot 35% of the shots he took we win the game. Tinsley was the ONLY one with anything going but he passed the ball a lot more than you guys are making it out to be.

No one else was hitting anything. Foster and Haslip were the only other Pacers in double figures. Tinsley was exhausted by the end and a lot of his misses came after he already had most of his scoring. He is not used to taking that many shots. But when no one else is hitting at all what is he to do.

DisplacedKnick
12-20-2004, 10:05 AM
AI got 54 points on 17-29 shooting in win for the 76'ers. thats 21 more points than tinsley and on less shots. I'm not saying tinsley should get 54 because that was an great performance by AI but if hes going to take 31 shots he has to hit more than 11 for the pacers to win

If the rest of the team's going to take 54 shots then they need to hit a lot more than 15.

clownskull
12-20-2004, 11:59 AM
If you are blaming Tinsley for the loss then you must not have watched the same game I watched. If Reggie would have shot 35% of the shots he took we win the game. Tinsley was the ONLY one with anything going but he passed the ball a lot more than you guys are making it out to be.

No one else was hitting anything. Foster and Haslip were the only other Pacers in double figures. Tinsley was exhausted by the end and a lot of his misses came after he already had most of his scoring. He is not used to taking that many shots. But when no one else is hitting at all what is he to do.
this is very true. i watched the game. jamal probaly took too many shots but his assits were low for him because no one was hitting. these rythym shooters had no rythym at all against the bulls. he gave them many, many chances and they were laying bricks. tinsley was they only guy who was able to really make anything happen. i really don't blame him here. if no one hits on the passes you make, they aren't assists. it's that simple.

TheSauceMaster
12-20-2004, 01:25 PM
If you are blaming Tinsley for the loss then you must not have watched the same game I watched.

Hold it right there , I don't see anyone blaming tinsley for the loss. I'm sorry just because someone scored 31 doesn't mean much when you lose , I would have rather seen others take shots than jamal jacking it up all night. I am sure some forum members could shoot 11/31 . I'm sorry we lost anyways why make it a one man show ?

You know it as well as I do Reggie could have been 1/10 the first 3 quarters and then all it takes is a made shot, I sure hope Rick's plan wasn't well let's let Tinsley jack it up all night cause no one else is hitting.

Ragnar
12-20-2004, 01:42 PM
The point I was making is that Tinsley DID PASS THE BALL its just that no one else was hitting at all.

ChicagoJ
12-20-2004, 02:25 PM
I love it how players get blamed for executing the coach's gameplan. Tinsely isn't doing anything more or less than what Rick is asking him to do.

Tinsley was our best option against the Bulls, in fact with Harrison out, Reggie ice -cold, and Fred Jones - well he's just confusing the snot outta me right now - what exactly does anyone propose be done differently? Hit shots? Duh.

If I were to blame any of the players for losses while we are short-handed, I'd blame the other shooters for getting caught in this four degree weather we've been having up here instead of blaming the only guy who showed up and even tried to make a difference in the outcome. But really, this team is ravaged by injuries, the flu, and suspensions. As Slick said late in the Chicago game (about the time Tinsley got tossed), "Hey, if you woulda told me we'd go 2-1 this week, I'd take it!"