PDA

View Full Version : Can we put to rest....

daschysta
02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
The idea that Paul George is going to suddenly become passive and afraid to shoot once Danny Granger comes back?

Dude shot 13 times in 20 minutes, including hitting 2 clutch 3's with about 2 minutes left and the final shot of the game. He shot as many times as Dwayne Wade, and 1 less than Carmelo Anthony. George wasn't deferring to the best players in the NBA, the biggest most glamorous "superstars", and he sure as heck isn't going to be deferring to Danny Granger coming off an injury.

Not that there is much difference between the 2 and 3 in our system anyhow. George is going to be on the ball, Granger is going to be off ball. This will be harmonious.

mattie
02-17-2013, 11:58 PM
PREACH SERMONS FROM YOUR INTERNET MACHINE

The idea that Paul George is going to suddenly become passive and afraid to shoot once Danny Granger comes back?

Dude shot 13 times in 20 minutes, including hitting 2 clutch 3's with about 2 minutes left and the final shot of the game. He shot as many times as Dwayne Wade, and 1 less than Carmelo Anthony. George wasn't deferring to the best players in the NBA, the biggest most glamorous "superstars", and he sure as heck isn't going to be deferring to Danny Granger coming off an injury.

Not that there is much difference between the 2 and 3 in our system anyhow. George is going to be on the ball, Granger is going to be off ball. This will be harmonious.

PacersHomer
02-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Different game. We'll see on Wednesday but I agree that Paul won't be afraid.

brownjake43
02-18-2013, 12:03 AM
I agree, 100%. Paul George is the face of this team, and Danny Granger, David West both have second tier all star talent. With those two playing with PG we will be better than we were the first half of the year. Danny will see more open looks than he has in his whole career. If Granger can get back into great shape by the playoffs, and if Roy starts playing well, Pacers can beat the Heat. No doubt in my mind. But those are two pretty big IFs.

imawhat
02-18-2013, 12:36 AM
I love how assertive he's being. Pacers team dynamics are different than the ASG, so let's see what happens.

AesopRockOn
02-18-2013, 12:41 AM
This will be harmonious.

Uh, yeah! Emphasis on the harm...or the moan...or us?

ilive4sports
02-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Uh, yeah! Emphasis on the harm...or the moan...or us?
Harm us.

Mac_Daddy
02-18-2013, 08:30 AM
I'll give you that Paul played very well last night and didn't shy away from a shot. I will also say it was an All-Star game and there was 140 points scored by each team. I don't think Paul will be deferring to Danny because I think they'll each get their touches, but I don't think you can really use an All-Star game as a basis of whether or not that is going to happen.

I'm more interested in seeing how Danny plays defensively when he returns.

Hicks
02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
I'll give you that Paul played very well last night and didn't shy away from a shot. I will also say it was an All-Star game and there was 140 points scored by each team. I don't think Paul will be deferring to Danny because I think they'll each get their touches, but I don't think you can really use an All-Star game as a basis of whether or not that is going to happen.

I'm more interested in seeing how Danny plays defensively when he returns.

I'm not sure the high scoring means much in this context. It might explain the availability of so many shots, but it doesn't make Paul take them; he easily could have just kept passing the ball if he wanted to defer.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Danny Granger took a single shot during the 2009 NBA All-Star game. Did that put to rest the notion that he was a mostly one dimensional volume scorer?

Mackey_Rose
02-18-2013, 10:11 AM
The only thing that anyone really needs to take away from last night's game is that Paul George belongs on the biggest stage, with the best in the league.

To try to extrapolate anything from his performance in an ASG, to how he'll play with the Pacers when Granger returns, seems like a huge stretch.

Ace E.Anderson
02-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I honestly don't care who defers to whom. If someone is hot, feed the hot hand. I never thought Paul would become passive because here recently he's been anything BUT that.

In fact, against the Nets when he played poorly, he just kept shooting and shooting--which isn't a bad thing as long as they're GOOD shots.

But in the end, since both Danny and Paul will most likely have close to the same FG%; it shouldn't matter who shoots more. If one player has it going, feed that guy. If both players have it going, see who gets open look first.

More than anything though (and this is NOT a bash against Daschysta at all--b/c I normally agree with his posts) I'm tired of there being some type of Paul Vs Danny rift on the board. THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED A SINGLE MINUTE YET!!...Let's see Danny get healthy, and see how it plays out before we jump to any conclusions.

Hicks
02-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Danny Granger took a single shot during the 2009 NBA All-Star game. Did that put to rest the notion that he was a mostly one dimensional volume scorer?

Come on, man. Is it really that important to make a snarky comment at Danny and dachysta's expense? Do you feel better now? #smh

And in any case, it doesn't hold up beyond the snark because of a major distinction: Danny's minutes and role were not significant enough in the 2009 ASG to read much of anything into his performance, whereas Paul George had enough minutes and serious enough of a role in the game to where reading into it a little bit would appear to be legitimate.

That having been said, it's fair to say this was a pretty typical Paul George game in terms of the kind of production he had, and it happened in a game where he very easily could have wilted at worst, deferred at best, and instead he (ultimately) asserted himself and had a very solid night. So on a night where he didn't disappear because of guys like LeBron and Wade playing with him, I think it's perfectly fair to presume it might suggest he won't fade away or defer upon Danny's return, even though up until this season he likely saw this as Danny's team and saw Danny as the superior Pacer (and at that time, it appeared he chose not to assert himself as much as he was capable). Not a big stretch, or a big deal IMO.

cgg
02-18-2013, 10:54 AM

I would think that him putting up 25.8 PPG on .584 TS% with 7FTA would put that to rest.