PDA

View Full Version : OTL: Michael Jordan has not left the building (Bird and Buckner references)

HickeyS2000
02-15-2013, 11:20 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/Michael-Jordan/michael-jordan-not-left-building

This is a great article (one of the few by ESPN lately) that shares some insight into Jordan's post-playing days. There are a lot of references to Buckner and Bird at the end. I was really surprised to hear how close Quinn is to Jordan. And it's great what Quinn says about Bird...

"What's Bird up to?" Jordan asks.

"Down in Naples," Buckner says.

"Playing golf every day?" Jordan asks.

"Bored," Buckner says.

"Think he'll ever get back in?" Jordan asks.

"He'll damn sure get back in it," Buckner says. "He didn't say it, but I just know him."

DGPR
02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
The whole story is a great read and very interesting. Also, Quinn has some very famous friends.

Mackey_Rose
02-15-2013, 02:41 PM
The whole story is a great read and very interesting. Also, Quinn has some very famous friends.

Why do you think he still is allowed to mumble, bumble, and stumble through broadcasts on FSI?

DGPR
02-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Why do you think he still is allowed to mumble, bumble, and stumble through broadcasts on FSI?
I thought it was because of his KFC "BUCKETS!!!!" shot chart segment, which I find painful to watch.

naptownmenace
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Jordan always thought he would die young... probably while the whole world was watching too.

It was a good read. I can't believe he "lost" 2 of his rings and actually thought they had been stolen until he started packing up his house to move. That's a sure fire sign that you're getting old! :laugh:

This passage right here sums up the whole article best:

"I value that," he says. "I like reminiscing. I do it more now watching basketball than anything. Man, I wish I was playing right now. I would give up everything now to go back and play the game of basketball."

"How do you replace it?" he's asked.

"You don't. You learn to live with it."

"How?"

"It's a process," he says.

AesopRockOn
02-15-2013, 03:39 PM
The difference in post-playing career for Basketball Jesu s and Basketball Hitler is so large in terms of accomplishment that it makes me question which should be "ranked" number one.

Mac_Daddy
02-15-2013, 07:29 PM

Aw, I always thought his bumbling was kind of charming.

spreedom
02-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Kobe, LeBron, Tim Duncan and DIRRRRRRRK.

Kemo
02-16-2013, 07:37 AM
I thought it was because of his KFC "BUCKETS!!!!" shot chart segment, which I find painful to watch.

LOL .."He got BUCCCCCCCCCK-ITTTTSSSSS!"

D-BONE
02-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Jordan seems like pretty much of an ***. Although an *** who is still driven and was no doubt the player of his and all eras.

hoosierguy
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Yep, Jordan is still a prick. He wipes his *** with $100 bills and still can't find happiness? Cry me a river.

immortality
02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Yep, Jordan is still a prick. He wipes his *** with $100 bills and still can't find happiness? Cry me a river.

When you are super competitive and you are one of the best, it's hard to let go something you love. It would be analogous to Steve Jobs resigning from Apple.

Lord Helmet
02-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Happiness cannot be bought or he'd use some of his fortune to bring his Dad back and make him young again.

ilive4sports
02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Michael Jordan? a prick? NO WAY?! THIS IS A SHOCK TO EVERYONE!

everyone already knew it....

Kstat
02-16-2013, 04:53 PM

Somewhere, there's a guy starving to death half a world away under a totalitarian warlord regime wondering why you aren't happy every day of your life.

Just because Jordan is rich does not mean he should be perpetually happy.

hoosierguy
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Somewhere, there's a guy starving to death half a world away under a totalitarian warlord regime wondering why you aren't happy every day of your life.

Just because Jordan is rich does not mean he should be perpetually happy.

If I had Jordan's money I would never complain about anything ever again. What makes you think I am unhappy?

Kstat
02-17-2013, 10:41 PM
If I had Jordan's money I would never complain about anything ever again. What makes you think I am unhappy?

I don't think you're unhappy. I think you have a complete and total lack of perspective, and your inability to understand why money can't always buy personal satisfaction shows a lack of maturity.

Wealthy people suffer from depression and even commit suicide just like everyone else. Can they empathize with the people who aren't blessed with wealth? No, but you shouldn't presume to walk in their shoes, either.

Day-V
02-17-2013, 11:44 PM
As someone who has never really cared about how much money I have and still have lived a fairly happy life, I can totally see how money couldn't buy happiness and if anything, would make my life a living hell.