PDA

View Full Version : LET'S BRING THE NBA ALL STAR GAME TO INDIANAPOLIS.

Mears13geico
02-15-2013, 09:25 AM
I think Indy would be a good spot, seeing how we have hosted a super bowl which was successful in my eyes. Plus we have had the final four, the Indy 500 every year, Big ten championships, the Brickyard 400 and more. Thoughts?

Dr. Awesome
02-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Indiana fans need to show they care about the NBA first in my opinion...

Looking into the stands at Pacers games is frustrating, I'd rather send it to a city that has a lot of loyal fans that deserve to be rewarded.

...its funny I say that because I ****ing hate the NBA. My weird, undying love for the Pacers(which I can't explain) is the only reason I even watch.

Unclebuck
02-15-2013, 09:39 AM
I have no interest in having it here.

Sure we would be a very good host for the event, but that isn't the point. Pacers franchise doesn't seem to be interested.

Didn't we have a thread about this last week?

boombaby1987
02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?80513-Indy-s-non-pursuit-of-NBA-all-star-game-remains-mystery

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I have tons of interest in having it. Really not sure why anyone wouldn't want to haveuit. I see no downside as a fan.

BillS
02-15-2013, 10:36 AM
I have tons of interest in having it. Really not sure why anyone wouldn't want to haveuit. I see no downside as a fan.

No home games for a long stretch? Not being able to get in to the game (or only being able to get in with nosebleed seats at Lucas Oil)? Not wanting PS&E to spend staff salary/time/effort on going after the ASG (which is done by the host club NOT the city like the Super Bowl)?

Never mind my personal opinion which is that the ASG is pretty much a meaningless crock of poop...

Sollozzo
02-15-2013, 10:44 AM
No home games for a long stretch? Not being able to get in to the game (or only being able to get in with nosebleed seats at Lucas Oil)? Not wanting PS&E to spend staff salary/time/effort on going after the ASG (which is done by the host club NOT the city like the Super Bowl)?

Never mind my personal opinion which is that the ASG is pretty much a meaningless crock of poop...

The Rockets had a home game just last Friday. They then had a three game West Coast road trip this week. That's not any different than what you have at other points in the season.

Sure your average Joe gets priced out of it, but your average Joe got priced out of the Super Bowl too. When the Pacers made the Finals in 2000, I'm guessing that your average Joe couldn't afford to buy marked up tickets. Final Four tickets are also insanely expensive. But these events were still great for the town to have. Downtown would be buzzing if we had the All Star game here.

How hard is it really for the host franchise to host the game? I'm being serious when I ask that. Wouldn't you get plenty of needed assistance from the league?

Personally, I think the Pacers owe it to the community to at least try, given that the community has given them millions and millions of tax dollars. There would be a nice influx of cash into downtown bars, restaurants, and hotels.

Pacer Fan
02-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Other then making excuses, it sounds like you work for PS&E and want to be lazy.
There is no reason for the All Stars not to be here other then the people in charge don't want to bother with it. I think if it was here that it would be a huge success. Indiana loves basketball and they would flock to see all the stars over a 3 day weekend.

rock747
02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
A lot of people in Indianapolis would probably hate bringing the NBA into town at this magnitude.

duke dynamite
02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Phase 1: Collect Underpants.
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit.

Sadly, interest in the NBA as a whole is very low in Indianapolis.

Pacer Fan
02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Lol, no doubt we would out do Houston's attendance for rising stars practice. They look to have maybe a few hundred fans in the house.

t1hs0n
02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Nah....

PacersHomer
02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
I have no interest in All-Star games in any sport.

Pacer Fan
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
A lot of people in Indianapolis would probably hate bringing the NBA into town at this magnitude.

Why is that?

Sandman21
02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
It's not worth it.

Plus from a purely egotistical standpoint, I don't want to see a bunch of corporate suits sitting in sections 101 and 120 while the diehards who normally live in those spots and other season ticket holders are stuck in the balcony, if they can get in the arena at all. ;)

Pacer Fan
02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
It's not worth it.

Plus from a purely egotistical standpoint, I don't want to see a bunch of corporate suits sitting in sections 101 and 120 while the diehards who normally live in those spots and other season ticket holders are stuck in the balcony, if they can get in the arena at all. ;)

Your not being serious...

Sandman21
02-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Yes I am.

Pacer Fan
02-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Yes I am.

I'm lost for words, honestly. I totally respect your posts on here and I don't want to say the wrong thing in the case I'm missing something here.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Sure your average Joe gets priced out of it, but your average Joe got priced out of the Super Bowl too. When the Pacers made the Finals in 2000, I'm guessing that your average Joe couldn't afford to buy marked up tickets.

As a season ticket holder, back in 2000 my $25 (regular season) tickets in Section 222 cost $40 for The Finals, and I'd paid for them in February. I'm pretty sure the entire Fieldhouse was sold out for The Finals by the end of February.

I have no idea what the secondary market prices were for those tickets. That's why - when I lived in Indy - I was a S/T holder so that I'd have guaranteed playoff seats and not be subject to the secondary market.

So what's your definition of average Joe - average Joe S/T holder or average Joe on the secondary market?

Because I think the point is that a very small portion of S/T holders would even get the opportunity to buy ASG tickets at face value.

Sollozzo
02-15-2013, 02:13 PM
As a season ticket holder, back in 2000 my $25 (regular season) tickets in Section 222 cost $40 for The Finals, and I'd paid for them in February. I'm pretty sure the entire Fieldhouse was sold out for The Finals by the end of February.

I have no idea what the secondary market prices were for those tickets.

So what's your definition of average Joe - average Joe S/T holder or average Joe on the secondary market?

Because I think the point is that a very small portion of S/T holders would even get the opportunity to buy ASG tickets at face value.

By "average Joe", I just mean your regular middle class person. I don't have any particular income cutoff that I'm talking about.

My point was that I don't think that people not being able to afford to go to the game is reason to not have it. Only a small % of people in Indy could afford to go to the Super Bowl, but it was still great for the community to have it. Only a small % of people in Indy can afford to go to the Final Four when it's here, but it's still a great event for the city to host. Even though only a small% of people could afford tickets, there would still be a ton of people who would walk around downtown to check out the festivities, go to bars, eat, etc etc. It would be great for downtown businesses.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2013, 02:17 PM
I think a lot of Indy people can afford to get into the national championship game of the Final Four. Wait outside the stadium on Saturday afternoon, and fans of the losing team are practically giving their Monday night tickets away.

But back to the ASG, I think the limitation on even selling tickets to your existing customer base in the first place is what discourages the Pacers from even wanting to make a run at it.

Sollozzo
02-15-2013, 02:26 PM
I think a lot of Indy people can afford to get into the national championship game of the Final Four. Wait outside the stadium on Saturday afternoon, and fans of the losing team are practically giving their Monday night tickets away.

But back to the ASG, I think the limitation on even selling tickets to your existing customer base in the first place is what discourages the Pacers from even wanting to make a run at it.

OK, maybe "want" to spend is a better phrasing than "could" spend.

Atlanta Final Four tickets this year $400 for the two semi final games and $254 for the championship game. And that's for the absolute worst seat in the house.

http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-final-four-tickets/?gcid=C12289x486&keyword=10439379&creative=3616391957

You make a good point about the fans of the losing teams selling their tickets on Monday. Any idea how much those go for? But there's no doubt that your going to pay an arm and leg for the Saturday games, unless you get lucky. A lot of people "could" afford the 400 dollars, but that doesn't mean they "want" to spend that money on a game.

I think your right that selling tickets to the customer base is a major concern of the Pacers.

Trader Joe
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Why should season ticket holders have any right to attend an All Star game if it's held in Indy? It's an NBA event, not a Pacers event.

Cactus Jax
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Why should season ticket holders have any right to attend an All Star game if it's held in Indy? It's an NBA event, not a Pacers event.

I kind of agree and disagree about that.

Also all caps topic make me cry :(

Mackey_Rose
02-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Should Colts season ticket holders have been pissed that they weren't given their usual seats for SB46?

I don't understand the season ticket holder argument at all. You are buying tickets for 41 home games. An ASG, is not part of the equation.

Trader Joe
02-15-2013, 02:51 PM
I better start gettin' some Bieber tix.

Mackey_Rose
02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
The only, and even this is very flimsy, argument that can be made that STH's deserve first rights to ancillary events (such as an ASG, concerts, boxing matches, etc.) at the Fieldhouse is if the Pacers forced them to buy PSL's.

That isn't the case.

The Sleeze
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
I know the city isn't paying for the cost to host the game, but it would benefit the city more if STH weren't given exclusive rights to tickets. More out-of-towners getting tickets for the all-star game is more money for the local hotels and tourism.

BillS
02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
The STH argument is that PS&E doesn't want to spend a huge amount putting on an event (and, again, unlike the Super Bowl all costs for the ASG are on the local franchise) where the people who give the bulk of the money to support the franchise (and it really is more than what they make from the bailout, like it or not) will not be served by it.

Why not have them spend the money building up the attendance to PACERS games so the city doesn't HAVE to help with the expenses any more, instead of paying for something that is not a guaranteed win, is only 3 days long, takes almost the same amount of work as putting on an entire season, and gets no help from anyone else to win it?

BillS
02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
I know the city isn't paying for the cost to host the game, but it would benefit the city more if STH weren't given tickets. More out-of-towners getting tickets for the all-star game is more money for the local hotels and tourism.

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's have all STHs give their tickets away to all out-of-town attendees for ANY regular season game against a big-name opponent! That would make sure someone comes into town and spends their money for the city and wouldn't bother ANYONE important at all! We could cram the Fieldhouse with out-of-town Lakers, Chicago, Miami, and NY fans and the city could rake in the hotel rooms, while all those pesky and useless season ticket holders could stay home and write checks for next year!

Trader Joe
02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Bill you're being a little over dramatic lol

BillS
02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Bill you're being a little over dramatic lol

ME? NEVER! I AM NEVER OVER DRAMATIC!

ChicagoJ
02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
The only, and even this is very flimsy, argument that can be made that STH's deserve first rights to ancillary events (such as an ASG, concerts, boxing matches, etc.) at the Fieldhouse is if the Pacers forced them to buy PSL's.

That isn't the case.

"deserve"?

Or actually do?

I'm not sure they have the right to their exact same seats. Box owners do, and perhaps club level. But there may be presale rights or other benefits. As I said in last week's thread on the same topic, our work tickets for the Bulls/ Blackhawks allow us into the presales or the right to purchase our regular ticket to an event.

The question is different, though. Why would the Pacers front office work that hard for something that they can't sell to their regular customers. A related question, as I think this actually is an NBA event and not a team event, is why the Pacers front office would work that hard for league-shared revenue.

I actually think their split of the revenue may be the same if Houston or the Pacers host it.

Heisenberg
02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm sure Jim Irsay'd be all for it

The Sleeze
02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Hey, I've got an idea! Let's have all STHs give their tickets away to all out-of-town attendees for ANY regular season game against a big-name opponent! That would make sure someone comes into town and spends their money for the city and wouldn't bother ANYONE important at all! We could cram the Fieldhouse with out-of-town Lakers, Chicago, Miami, and NY fans and the city could rake in the hotel rooms, while all those pesky and useless season ticket holders could stay home and write checks for next year!

Really?.....We are talking about a one off event for the NBA that represents multiple teams and its fans, not just Pacer players, why shouldn't it be open to everybody. And I don't believe anyone is being asked to "give their tickets away". That's like saying the Super Bowl in Indy should have been filled with all Colts STH because its in Lucas Oil, even though the Colts weren't playing.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2013, 04:14 PM
why shouldn't it be open to everybody.

It would be.

There is nothing stopping anybody right now from buying season tickets. BLF is not sold old. You'd also guarantee your NBA Finals/ ECF/ semifinals/ quarterfinals tickets (I probably should get on this myself before its too late.)

Meanwhile, it was Indiana Sports Corp. that put on the Super Bowl, not the Indianapolis Colts.

The Sleeze
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
It would be.

Exactly, and STH could buy them and non-STH could buy them. STH just wouldn't have exclusive rights to them.

I don't know what prompted Bill to go off on a tirade.

BRushWithDeath
02-15-2013, 04:21 PM
The question is different, though. Why would the Pacers front office work that hard for something that they can't sell to their regular customers. A related question, as I think this actually is an NBA event and not a team event, is why the Pacers front office would work that hard for league-shared revenue.

I actually think their split of the revenue may be the same if Houston or the Pacers host it.

Maybe because it benefits the business owners who buy season tickets by bringing in outside money? Maybe because it can warm up some interest in NBA basketball in a community who was beaten down my years of futility and bad characters among their local franchise? Maybe because they realize how incredibly shortsighted it is to dismiss the idea because it wouldn't directly put more money their already well lined pockets? Maybe because it benefits the ****ing city who bends over backwards to meet their demands?

I don't know. Maybe something.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Maybe because it benefits the business owners who buy season tickets by bringing in outside money? Maybe because it can warm up some interest in NBA basketball in a community who was beaten down my years of futility and bad characters among their local franchise? Maybe because they realize how incredibly shortsighted it is to dismiss the idea because it wouldn't directly put more money their already well lined pockets? Maybe because it benefits the ****ing city who bends over backwards to meet their demands?

I don't know. Maybe something.

So you're saying that the Pacers should be rechartered as a nonprofit and just concern themselves with providing public benefits? Isn't that the role of ISC?

BillS
02-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Exactly, and STH could buy them and non-STH could buy them. STH just wouldn't have exclusive rights to them.

I don't know what prompted Bill to go off on a tirade.

Well, your implication was that STHs would take up seats that should go to out-of-towners, not even to the other people in Indianapolis who wanted seats. By extension, that out-of-towners are worth more to the city than STHs. By extension, that it would be even better for the city if out-of-towners went to all the games instead of local STHs. By extension, we should eat all the poor children *
:soapbox:

In any event, I believe the way ASG tickets are split up there would only be about 1000 available for anyone in Indiana, STH or otherwise. The rest go to the other teams, to the media, and so forth. As I understand it, that's the biggest reason for the objection - they can't even provide a large enough group of fans the tickets, much less STHs.

* Literary reference to "A Modest Proposal" by Dean Jonathan Swift

Pacer Fan
02-15-2013, 04:49 PM
So you're saying that the Pacers should be rechartered as a nonprofit and just concern themselves with providing public benefits? Isn't that the role of ISC?

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money and a ASG could be an event to stimulate Pacer fans as well as stimulate everything else around the 3 day event.

But I guess a franchise don't care when they have billions. :confused:

ChicagoJ
02-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Sometimes you have to spend money to make money and a ASG could be an event to stimulate Pacer fans as well as stimulate everything else around the 3 day event.

How are they going to make money on this?

They're going to cover all the costs, share the revenue with the other 29 teams, and spend the bulk of a year distracted from running their own business/ team.

Hey, I'm all-for having ISC put it on.

But don't villify the Pacers for not acting like a public service entity when they're a for-profit business. (Just not a very good for-profit business.)

BillS
02-15-2013, 04:54 PM

I believe the initial decision by the Simons was on the heels of a study showing an ASG really DOESN'T increase basketball popularity where it is held. It just increases popularity for the stars at the game, which the NBA doesn't need the help of the Pacers to manage, on top of actually ticking off the existing fans of the local franchise.

But, that really can't be the reason, it must be because the Simons want to keep the billions they make from the Pacers every year locked in the big money vault on Pennsylvania St. where they can swim in it.

Pacer Fan
02-15-2013, 05:01 PM
How are they going to make money on this?

They're going to cover all the costs, share the revenue with the other 29 teams, and spend the bulk of a year distracted from running their own business/ team.

Hey, I'm all-for having ISC put it on.

But don't villify the Pacers for not acting like a public service entity when they're a for-profit business. (Just not a very good for-profit business.)

I guess I don't know enough of the enter workings, but I'd think the sales of everything surrounding the ticket sale would not be shared. I'd think they better stock up on everything Pacers as a lot of stuff would be sold and out of that Pacers get walking billboards all over central Indiana and that can be priceless.

Pacer Fan
02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
I believe the initial decision by the Simons was on the heels of a study showing an ASG really DOESN'T increase basketball popularity where it is held. It just increases popularity for the stars at the game, which the NBA doesn't need the help of the Pacers to manage, on top of actually ticking off the existing fans of the local franchise.

But, that really can't be the reason, it must be because the Simons want to keep the billions they make from the Pacers every year locked in the big money vault on Pennsylvania St. where they can swim in it.

Yep, your right ASG comes to a city and nobody spends money on the local franchise. No interest in that ****ed up, worthless piece of **** team. So all the locals buys all the other teams memorabilia. What the hell was I thinking.

BillS
02-15-2013, 05:09 PM
I guess I don't know enough of the enter workings, but I'd think the sales of everything surrounding the ticket sale would not be shared. I'd think they better stock up on everything Pacers as a lot of stuff would be sold and out of that Pacers get walking billboards all over central Indiana and that can be priceless.

No, pretty much everything is split. the licensing fees for ASG merchandise go to the league, not the franchise.

Regarding the Pacer jersey sales, I'd take a bet on that. If a Pacer was even ON the team that year (far from guaranteed), I suspect the sales of merchandise for the big hyped players would overshadow it, and the only thing Central Indiana would get would be more advertisements for "We don't care that Indiana has a team".

BRushWithDeath
02-15-2013, 05:13 PM

Forgetting that hosting the game would very likely end up being financially beneficial to the franchise itself, when the Pacers return all of the public money they've taken, then they should have full right to decline anything that doesn't directly help them.

The Sleeze
02-15-2013, 05:13 PM
.......By extension, we should eat all the poor children *

Well, that's a given.

D0NT SH0OT ME
02-15-2013, 05:25 PM
I no longer see a valid reason as to why we should not have the All Star game here. The excuse that it would cost more money than it would bring in might have been pertinent the previous few seasons, but that excuse no longer holds any weight. We have the 7th best record in the league and the 4th cheapest tickets, yet also have the 5th worst attendance. The product the Pacers are providing is clearly not attracting enough fans as is. We can all sit here and make excuses for why things are the way they are, but making excuses and pointing fingers won't solve anything. The people of Indiana are simply not currently interested in professional basketball.

The Pacers clearly need to take a different approach to attracting fans, so why not host the All Star game? Sure the immediate costs for hosting it may outweigh the profit, but making Indiana the center of the basketball universe for a week will make it impossible for people to continue ignoring the NBA. Everyone will be talking about it, and by association everyone will be talking about the Pacers. Only good things can come from that. People will realize that we have a great group of players and will be able to get past the stigma still left behind from the brawl. Hosting the All Star game is exactly what the Pacers need to get fans back into seats.

Slick Pinkham
02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
I better start gettin' some Bieber tix.

he's a thug.

Hicks
02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
A sold seat is a sold seat. I don't see why the Pacers wouldn't give STH's the first chance at buying (for full retail price) a seat to the all-star game. Some would, some wouldn't, but either way those seats still get sold to somebody at the same price. Why not start with STH's then? It's not like it's a free seat in this scenario.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2013, 05:49 PM
A sold seat is a sold seat. I don't see why the Pacers wouldn't give STH's the first chance at buying (for full retail price) a seat to the all-star game. Some would, some wouldn't, but either way those seats still get sold to somebody at the same price. Why not start with STH's then? It's not like it's a free seat in this scenario.

I think their allotment of seats to sell is quite small. I think the league sells most of the tickets and distributes the revenue among all 30 teams. If that's the case, I think the Pacers should do nothing because the ASG in Houson is free money to them and that's the quickest way to get the Pacers' finances right side up... revenue with no costs instead of high costs and no revenue.

What were the STH opportunities with the 2002 World Championships? I know we had pre-sale opportunities to buy the entire "season". I think we had pre-sale opportunities for individual games. As an out of towner, I didn't bite. I would have if we still lived in Indy, but that wasn't how I was going to spend my summer vacation from this place. And ticket sales were poor - not many people did bite.

Hicks
02-15-2013, 06:35 PM
It should still bring revenue to the city of Indianapolis, though, and if nothing else generate further good will from the populace the next time PS&E goes to the local government with their hand out.....

02-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Perhaps the very reason Indianapolis has not requested an All-Star game since the 1980's is the same reason that the Pacers have one of the worst attendance records in the league. ​There is certainly a common denominator.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2013, 06:57 PM
It should still bring revenue to the city of Indianapolis, though, and if nothing else generate further good will from the populace the next time PS&E goes to the local government with their hand out.....

I agree, that's the only reason to do it.

But that conversation goes like this:

City/county counselperson: "so last year you claimed you had operating losses of $10 million."

Herb: "Right."

C/CC: "And this year, you hosted the all-star game so you could 'make more money' and now you had operating losses of $25 million."

Herb: "That's right. The city "benefitted". Everybody "benefitted" by us. But we covered all the expenses."

C/CC: "So now you want even more money from us?"

Herb: "We would have needed less money if we let Houston host again."

C/CC: :banghead:

OlBlu
02-15-2013, 06:57 PM
I think Indy would be a good spot, seeing how we have hosted a super bowl which was successful in my eyes. Plus we have had the final four, the Indy 500 every year, Big ten championships, the Brickyard 400 and more. Thoughts?

Would anyone show up for the game?? :cool: ...

SycamoreKen
02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
For what its worth, I just signed my wife up on the waiting list for next year's game and festivities in New Orleans. She loves this weekend and it would be fun to go.

SMosley21
02-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Can downtown Indy support the travelling ring of escorts and call girls that comes with All-Star weekend? I feel like those "women" wouldn't enjoy it here.

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 10:01 PM

None of that bothers me. Im sure I can get tickets to ASG easier than I could the Superbowl. And even without tix my family still spend tons of hours in Indy for those events. I could care less how much time and effort that PS&E have to put in. Im a fan, I want everything and dont care how I get it.

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Other then making excuses, it sounds like you work for PS&E and want to be lazy.
There is no reason for the All Stars not to be here other then the people in charge don't want to bother with it. I think if it was here that it would be a huge success. Indiana loves basketball and they would flock to see all the stars over a 3 day weekend.

This. However I do respect what BillS is saying. Those just arent my problems.

Sollozzo
02-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Can downtown Indy support the travelling ring of escorts and call girls that comes with All-Star weekend? I feel like those "women" wouldn't enjoy it here.

Surely there can't be any more of that at All-Star weekend than there is at the Super Bowl.

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Phase 1: Collect Underpants.
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit.

Sadly, interest in the NBA as a whole is very low in Indianapolis.

Could this not help? Again I go back to SB. Ive never been to 1 Colts game, and though Im a fan of them. I dont follow the NFL all too much. But me and my family loved the SB events. Even drove from Anderson multiple times to spend plenty of money i Indy. There really is no valid excuse not to have it here. If we can handle the SB, we can handle an ASG.

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 10:07 PM

LMAO. They get paid to bang. I dont think they care. lol.

EDIT: I mean "date"

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 10:08 PM
For what its worth, I just signed my wife up on the waiting list for next year's game and festivities in New Orleans. She loves this weekend and it would be fun to go.

Where do you do this at?

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 10:11 PM
I agree, that's the only reason to do it.

But that conversation goes like this:

City/county counselperson: "so last year you claimed you had operating losses of $10 million."

Herb: "Right."

C/CC: "And this year, you hosted the all-star game so you could 'make more money' and now you had operating losses of $25 million."

Herb: "That's right. The city "benefitted". Everybody "benefitted" by us. But we covered all the expenses."

C/CC: "So now you want even more money from us?"

Herb: "We would have needed less money if we let Houston host again."

C/CC: :banghead:

Maybe Im in the dark on this, but why does everyone harp on the Pacers for their 10 mil. When we built a colossal coliseum for the Colts, and thats ok?

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Perhaps the very reason Indianapolis has not requested an All-Star game since the 1980's is the same reason that the Pacers have one of the worst attendance records in the league. ​There is certainly a common denominator.
Trades with the Golden Sate Warriors? Brawls? Ticketmaster Fees? These are the reasons (excuses) I always hear, but unsure how the relate...

LetsTalkPacers84
02-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Maybe because your not family or friends of a superstar? I do mean that seriously, but not trying to sound like an *******

SMosley21
02-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Surely there can't be any more of that at All-Star weekend than there is at the Super Bowl.
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but yes. That sort of activity is what All-Star weekend is known for.

Sollozzo
02-15-2013, 10:21 PM
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but yes. That sort of activity is what All-Star weekend is known for.

And Super Bowl weekend doesn't have that? Super Bowl weekend is the biggest party of the year with a large mix of celebrities and athletes. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a weekend where call girls are more in demand than at Super Bowl time. All Star weekend is a blip on the radar compared to the Super Bowl.

Hicks
02-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Maybe because your not family or friends of a superstar? I do mean that seriously, but not trying to sound like an *******

How many STH tickets do you expect to be sold? Even if it was every single one, I'd imagine there's plenty for both parties.

SMosley21
02-15-2013, 10:56 PM
And Super Bowl weekend doesn't have that? Super Bowl weekend is the biggest party of the year with a large mix of celebrities and athletes. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a weekend where call girls are more in demand than at Super Bowl time. All Star weekend is a blip on the radar compared to the Super Bowl.
What I'm saying is that is pretty much all All-Star weekend is known for now. Super Bowl week is more about the actual game. No one actually cares about the basketball related events of AS weekend, including the players.

Sollozzo
02-15-2013, 11:01 PM
What I'm saying is that is pretty much all All-Star weekend is known for now. Super Bowl week is more about the actual game. No one actually cares about the basketball related events of AS weekend, including the players.

I don't doubt that you're right about AS weekend being notorious for that. But that being said, I don't think that most of the people who roll in for Super Bowl weekend care about the game itself until it's Super Bowl Sunday. When it's Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night, it's time to party. I would wager any amount of money that the amount of "call girls" who roll into Super Bowl weekend drastically dwarfs that go to the AS game. I'm not saying that the AS game has a small party scene, but the Super Bowl is the biggest party of the year.

MagicRat
02-15-2013, 11:11 PM
How about we bring back the draft? It's cheaper and everybody will be excited to come down to watch the Pacers draft VO.......

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/1994draft.jpg

SycamoreKen
02-15-2013, 11:36 PM
It was here.

http://quintevents.com/sports-travel/basketball/nba-all-star-2014-game

cgg
02-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Maybe Im in the dark on this, but why does everyone harp on the Pacers for their 10 mil. When we built a colossal coliseum for the Colts, and thats ok?

Probably because this is a Pacers board, so the Pacers are discussed.

02-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Trades with the Golden Sate Warriors? Brawls? Ticketmaster Fees? These are the reasons (excuses) I always hear, but unsure how the relate...

Because NBA basketball is not in demand in Indiana an NBA All-Star game will not be pursued. There is a relationship between the lack of interest in the Pacers and the NBA in Indiana.

02-16-2013, 12:00 PM
In terms of the All-Star game and NBA Draft (both excellent ideas), I think the NBA is celebrity driven. For goodness sake, they even have a celebrity game. Indianapolis is not a celebrity hotspot. It is not known for 'beautiful people' and red carpet events. In fact, most celebrities would choose to stay in Chicago and fly in to Indianapolis for the event. I think that is the problem. I think the draft, which is embedded in New York, would be a greater possibility than the All-Star Game.

LetsTalkPacers84
02-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Probably because this is a Pacers board, so the Pacers are discussed.you know what I mean

Bball
02-17-2013, 10:13 AM
If pursuit of the ASG is actually coded into a contract tied to the BLF lease then it seems like the Pacers did some bad faith negotiating considering how far back the record goes with them not being interested in the ASG. Especially coupled with the fact nothing seems to have changed with regards to pursuit of an ASG after the new arena came online either.

Local government made concessions to the Pacers in the form of taxpayer dollars with those concessions seen as investments. They would expect some concessions on the part of the Pacers as well. If in the negotiations local government asked the Pacers to pursue an ASG as a way to enhance the taxpayer investment then either PS&E should legitimately pursue the ASG or PS&E never should've agreed and put it in writing in the first place. PS&E had to know the costs and lack of desire to host an ASG for their own direct financial benefits when they were negotiating the Fieldhouse deal. But the indirect benefit was in enhancing the deal they were asking the city to sign off on and the building and lease of the Fieldhouse (which certainly and directly benefits PS&E).

idioteque
02-17-2013, 10:21 AM
In terms of the All-Star game and NBA Draft (both excellent ideas), I think the NBA is celebrity driven. For goodness sake, they even have a celebrity game. Indianapolis is not a celebrity hotspot. It is not known for 'beautiful people' and red carpet events. In fact, most celebrities would choose to stay in Chicago and fly in to Indianapolis for the event. I think that is the problem. I think the draft, which is embedded in New York, would be a greater possibility than the All-Star Game.

I agree with you that Indianapolis isn't a celebrity hotspot but it isn't Peoria, IL either. There is enough to do downtown and on the North side for celebrities to keep themselves busy for a weekend. There were some Hollywood-level red carpet events during the Super Bowl week.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Nothing says glitz and glamor quite like Houston, TX.