PDA

View Full Version : All Pacers fans, please read

shags
12-18-2004, 05:40 PM
If you get NBATV, they are replaying the Bulls-Pacers, Game 4 of the 1998 ECF. It's on until 6:00. Should bring back good memories.

Lord Helmet
12-18-2004, 05:46 PM
I wish I had NBA TV :cry: DAMN YOU INSIGHT

Kstat
12-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Market Square>Conseco.

MSA was a MUCH tougher place to play in.

Lord Helmet
12-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Market Square>Conseco Do you say that because you think it was louder?I think Conseco can be loud as long as the fans make it that way.I remember when Reg hit the GW shot agianst the Pistons in game one of the ECF's and it was loud!I just wish we could make it louder more often.

Arcadian
12-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Detriot had an easier time winning at MSA in the playoffs than they did at the fieldhouse.
But it might not have been the buildings that made it that way.

Kstat
12-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Do you say that because you think it was louder?I think Conseco can be loud as long as the fans make it that way.I remember when Reg hit the GW shot agianst the Pistons in game one of the ECF's and it was loud!I just wish we could make it louder more often.

Two words (and I see them all over Conseco): SOUND DAMPENERS.

To make the noise more comfortable, Conseco added parts to Conseco that made the noise SOFTER and QUIETER.

Conseco is a beautiful arena, but it feels too much like I'm in my living room, rather than in a sports bar.

The old stadiums were great because acoustics were NOT taken into consideration, and the sound bounced off the walls like a ping-pong machine.

shags
12-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Detriot had an easier time winning at MSA in the playoffs than they did at the fieldhouse.
But it might not have been the buildings that made it that way.

Until now, I don't think the Pistons great teams and the Pacers great teams have coincided with each other.

Kstat
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Until now, I don't think the Pistons great teams and the Pacers great teams have coincided with each other.

Well, not the great teams, anyway.

The Pistons mauled the Pacers 3-0 when the finally made the playoffs in 1990, but that was a 1-8 seed matchup.

In the regular seasons, however, I always HATED to play in MSA. we'd trounced there yearly from the early 90's on. Even where we were a playoff team, we couldn't win in MSA.

Then Conseco opened, and we won 3 of our 1st 4 games there, including the thanksgiving game. It just seemed like a more comfortable place to play. I couldn't have been happier to be rid of MSA.

Arcadian
12-18-2004, 06:14 PM
I was jokingly refering to the one playoff game in '90. It was my first playoff game I got to go to. It wasn't very close.

Kstat
12-18-2004, 06:16 PM
I was jokingly refering to the one playoff game in '90. It was my first playoff game I got to go to. It wasn't very close.

Yeah, your 1st playoff game in 15 years and you didn't even sell it out. I never understood that. Neither did Reggie, Apparently. He blasted Pacers fans pretty good after the game.

My only real memory of that game was Dick Versace drop-kicking the gatorade bucket across the court sometime in the 4th qyarter......

stipo
12-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Two words (and I see them all over Conseco): SOUND DAMPENERS.

To make the noise more comfortable, Conseco added parts to Conseco that made the noise SOFTER and QUIETER.

Conseco is a beautiful arena, but it feels too much like I'm in my living room, rather than in a sports bar.

The old stadiums were great because acoustics were NOT taken into consideration, and the sound bounced off the walls like a ping-pong machine.

Couldn't agree more about the sound. I don't go to nearly as many games as I used to, but I've NEVER heard it get even 3/4 as loud at Conseco compared to MSA. Every game seems quiet, yet they're basically the same fans as were at MSA, right? Seems to be a very friendly place to play if you're the opposition.

BrooklynJosh
12-18-2004, 06:30 PM
that may have been my favorite nba game ever. reggie hitting the game winner against jordan - that was pure bliss. fjasdljdsa they should have won that series. so close.

Kstat
Couldn't agree more about the sound. I don't go to nearly as many games as I used to, but I've NEVER heard it get even 3/4 as loud at Conseco compared to MSA. Every game seems quiet, yet they're basically the same fans as were at Conseco, right? Seems to be a very friendly place to play if you're the opposition.

Yeah, the comfort level there is almost disconcerting.

Thats why Im glad the Palace was built 17 years ago, before this era of corporate seats and sound absorbers.

No fancy acoustics, no cushy atmosphere, the sound is ugly and it recycles off the walls like a drum. The noise level is ABSOLUTELY hostile.

I remember back in 1996 when NBA players were claiming that the O-Rena was TOO loud, because they built in sound AMPLIFIERS into the walls, and the decibal level was dangerous to the players' ear drums....I think Orlando went 38-3 at home that season.....

I miss those days....when home court actually MEANT something.

Jermaniac
Thanks for the heads up, I get to catch the 3rd and 4th qtr.

Man watching MJ and Jalen go at each other this game was great, Jalen and MJ kept elbowing each other back and forth. That was a real fun match up to watch.

Kstat
12-18-2004, 06:35 PM
I think the fact that Bob Costas is having to shout AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS to get his voice to carry over the background noise should tell you something.....

shags
12-18-2004, 06:39 PM
The weird thing I didn't remember is that the Bulls controlled almost all of this game. And this was when all the Pacers shaved their heads.

Unclebuck
12-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Thank God for Hugh Evans.

Wow, I forgot how good a game that was. But I still hate Kukoc.

shags
12-18-2004, 06:54 PM
Did Rose get suspended?

Jermaniac
12-18-2004, 06:55 PM
REGGIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE lol

Kstat
12-18-2004, 06:56 PM
The best part of that whole shot is Larry Bird's facial expression.... :lol2:

Kstat
12-18-2004, 06:58 PM
I'd like to know how many of you needed a heart transplant on Jordan's last shot attempt..... :eek:

Unclebuck
12-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Rose got suspended for game #5.

Kstat, my heart stopped when Michael got the ball in pretty good position. McKey is one of my all time favorite players. (he made the passes on the Pacers two most famous shots of all time, to Smits and Miller), but Mckey made a huge mistake getting faked on that last shoit by Michael. MJ went high, and McKey went right with him, McKey should have let MJ go towards the midcourt line, who cares if he gets the ball there.

PacerFan31
12-18-2004, 07:19 PM
I wish I had NBA TV :cry: DAMN YOU INSIGHT

AMEN!! they gave us NFL TV but no NBA TV :cry:

Lord Helmet
12-18-2004, 09:09 PM
AMEN!! they gave us NFL TV but no NBA TV :cry: It took them long enoght just to get NFL Network.What really pisses me off is the Insight commercials with the annoying blonde.They run commercials saying how they have every channel you would want but yet they don't have NBATV or League Pass it pisses me off.

BigMac
12-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah, your 1st playoff game in 15 years and you didn't even sell it out. I never understood that. Neither did Reggie, Apparently. He blasted Pacers fans pretty good after the game.

My only real memory of that game was Dick Versace drop-kicking the gatorade bucket across the court sometime in the 4th qyarter......

That may have been his first playoff game in attendance but it was not the Pacers first playoff game ever. Now, my first NBA playoff game ever was 10 years before that vs. Philadelphia and, no, it was not sold out. Now, did the Pistons sell out their arena for playoff games when they were the #8 seed or even just a low seed. I actually doubt it. Something you have to keep in mind is that when teams get into the playoffs and are not expected to win, the following things come into play:

1. Season ticket holders (especially corporations) do not always purchase playoff tickets-even now when the Pacers are expected to contend for a title and when they were previously contending for a title.

2. Playoff games were on TV, even if not sold out back then. Coupled with a team that really wasn't expected to prosper in the playoffs and being on TV anyway, it really wasn't worth the money to go to a game to watch your team lose.

3. Add in a team that, even though this is Indiana, did not have the following that the current Pacers team has now and thus there was not as much interest.

4. Since joining the NBA up to that point, the Pacers were not ever considered any good and were expected to lose, especially in the playoffs.

KStat, when you are basing your opinions on what you saw when you were 12 or 13 from Detroit (maybe not even that old) should not cast so many stones at another city he really doesn't know that much about. And until the Bad Boys, I think the best Detoit player ever was either Bob Lanier or most likely Dave Bing-not really the top 50 players of all time you seem to think you had before the Pacers (who joined the NBA only in the mid-70's) made the playoffs for the first time in the 1980's. And if you say Lanier or Bing was so awesome, answer me this: how many NBA Finals did they participate in?

t-Bone
12-18-2004, 11:07 PM
I was watching the game with a friend, who is a diehard bulls fan. So we were talking it up back and forth the whole game. When MJ's shot went in then came back out I didnt say anything, just sat there and smiled. He stormed out of there and said "Im going home!" We still laugh about it to this day.I was in high school and i think there were more bulls fans then pacer fans. But nonetheless it was a good series.

Kstat
12-18-2004, 11:42 PM
That may have been his first playoff game in attendance but it was not the Pacers first playoff game ever. Now, my first NBA playoff game ever was 10 years before that vs. Philadelphia and, no, it was not sold out. Now, did the Pistons sell out their arena for playoff games when they were the #8 seed or even just a low seed. I actually doubt it. Something you have to keep in mind is that when teams get into the playoffs and are not expected to win, the following things come into play:

1. Season ticket holders (especially corporations) do not always purchase playoff tickets-even now when the Pacers are expected to contend for a title and when they were previously contending for a title.

2. Playoff games were on TV, even if not sold out back then. Coupled with a team that really wasn't expected to prosper in the playoffs and being on TV anyway, it really wasn't worth the money to go to a game to watch your team lose.

3. Add in a team that, even though this is Indiana, did not have the following that the current Pacers team has now and thus there was not as much interest.

4. Since joining the NBA up to that point, the Pacers were not ever considered any good and were expected to lose, especially in the playoffs.

KStat, when you are basing your opinions on what you saw when you were 12 or 13 from Detroit (maybe not even that old) should not cast so many stones at another city he really doesn't know that much about. And until the Bad Boys, I think the best Detoit player ever was either Bob Lanier or most likely Dave Bing-not really the top 50 players of all time you seem to think you had before the Pacers (who joined the NBA only in the mid-70's) made the playoffs for the first time in the 1980's. And if you say Lanier or Bing was so awesome, answer me this: how many NBA Finals did they participate in?

I'm casting stones at Indianapolis? Um, ok. Whatever you want to believe, i suppose.......

I said REGGIE ripped the fans for not showing up, which he did. not Me......course, you must have read right past THAT part...... :lol:

Dave Bing? Bob Lanier? when did this become a 70's discussion?