PDA

View Full Version : Webber activated

Hicks
02-16-2004, 10:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/kings/news/webber_040216.html

Not too shocking. Makes since that since he's close to being ready to play to let him serve his suspension while he's not quite ready to play. After sitting for 6+ games, he'll be healthy and ready to go anyway, suspensions gone.

kerosene
02-16-2004, 10:15 PM
That's what I thought when I saw the title. Activate him early and get the suspension out of the way. Ah well, there's nothing in the rules against this right?

Ragnar
02-16-2004, 10:38 PM
They had been saying he would be back after the all star game. The NBA warned the Kings not to activate him untill he was ready to play and that his suspension is to start once he is ready to play.

kerosene
02-16-2004, 10:43 PM
What btown said. I realize the NBA warned the Kings but being "ready to play" isn't a completely objective thing. It smells a bit fishy to me but if it were the Pacers in the same situation doing the same thing I would applaud them for being a bit clever. So maybe the Kings are being smart. If B. Miller is going to be out for any period of time this is certainly a good move on their part.

MSA2CF
02-16-2004, 10:44 PM
As long as he's on the active roster, then he can *technically* play. The NBA has very little authority to dictate when they think Webber is "ready enough" to play. It's a smart move by the Kings to activate him now to get it out of the way.

If that were the case, I would have activated him for the beginning of the season, or as soon as I could have. Then, I could put him back on the injured list until whenever he was actually ready to play (he could come back.)

MSA2CF
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
As long as he's on the active roster, then he can *technically* play. The NBA has very little authority to dictate when they think Webber is "ready enough" to play. It's a smart move by the Kings to activate him now to get it out of the way.

If that were the case, I would have activated him for the beginning of the season, or as soon as I could have. Then, I could put him back on the injured list until whenever he was actually ready to play (he could come back.)

His case was still up in the air at that point. And the Kings would have absolutely no doctors reports saying he was ready, which they have now. It's a different situation when all your docs say he is able to actually play.

I would have activated him as soon as the news that he would be suspended was out, so that he could just sit there "activated" but serving his suspension and then put him back on the IL after his suspension was over...Or was that not possible?

Hicks
02-16-2004, 10:55 PM

His case was still up in the air at that point. And the Kings would have absolutely no doctors reports saying he was ready, which they have now. It's a different situation when all your docs say he is able to actually play.

I would have activated him as soon as the news that he would be suspended was out, so that he could just sit there "activated" but serving his suspension and then put him back on the IL after his suspension was over...Or was that not possible?

Well, that would have made it blatant and obvious they were just activating him to take the suspension, not to actually play. It'd be easy for the NBA to come down hard on them that way.

Now, he's cleared to go, and it's much more blurry. Odds are he's close enough that he COULD play, but if there were no suspensions to worry about, they'd have him sit for another few weeks. They get away with it now.

Suaveness
02-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Well, sacramento will be interesting to see. Usually when webber comes back from injury, they tend to play a little worse. :laugh:

Hicks
02-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Well, sacramento will be interesting to see. Usually when webber comes back from injury, they tend to play a little worse. :laugh:

Here's hoping. :laugh:

Because if not, and they actually improve, we're never getting the best record in the league. :cry:

:)

Suaveness
02-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Well, if you think about it, I really don't think they can improve offensively, since we know about Webber's "great" 4th quarters....

In order for them to improve, they need to defensively. And that just isn't going to happen.

Shade
02-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Looks like he's out for 8 more games. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1737280)

Hicks
02-17-2004, 04:45 PM
So the league gives hiim 5 games for "violating the drug policy", and only 3 "for being convicted of criminal contempt in violation of federal law"? Talk about having f'ed up priorities.

Well, yeah. :laugh: I mean, these guys gave someone (I forget who-- plays out West) 3 games for domestic violence, which is 1 less game than they gave Ron for an obscene jesture.

ChicagoJ
02-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Did we know previously that he was going to be suspended for violating the drug policy?

Pig Nash
02-17-2004, 05:27 PM

I can't argue with that logic... nor can I argue with a Purple Hippo doing a slap dance anyway!

Pig Nash
02-17-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm wathing hot list on ESPN and Bucher said that since Brad's injured and they'd have to put Funderburke on the IL to put Webber on than they're down a big to one big man for two weeks.