PDA

View Full Version : This Board

Randolph_HorseLips
02-11-2013, 03:09 PM
I was hoping someone could give me a brief history lesson regarding this board. I have been impressed with how well-established it is, and how many senior members there are.

The temperament is fairly civil here, too. Many well-established message boards have members that take things a bit too seriously. Sometimes they are overprotective and distrusting of new faces, but overall this place seems reasonable in that regard.

Who is the founder? Who are some of the original members? Did Pacers Digest come first, and the other forums (like Colts, IU, etc) come later?

RWB
02-11-2013, 03:22 PM
I know there have been previous threads on PDs history but I'm not sure where to find them search wise.

Hicks (MStamper) actually started the first PD around 2003. I think the common reason was frustration over the Indy Star board just getting too crazy on both moderation and non moderation. I had posted there since 1998 and somehow got kicked off in 2003 because of a spat with a trolling Celtics fan. Hicks built us a life line so to speak for fans who didn't agree with the Star's approach and how they had kicked off several long time members for no reason. It was a crazy time.

J7F
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I know there have been previous threads on PDs history but I'm not sure where to find them search wise.

Hicks (MStamper) actually started the first PD around 2003. I think the common reason was frustration over the Indy Star board just getting too crazy on both moderation and non moderation. I had posted there since 1998 and somehow got kicked off in 2003 because of a spat with a trolling Celtics fan. Hicks built us a life line so to speak.

I was not aware that Hicks was MStamper! I thought he had just been away like he said he was going to be...

RWB
02-11-2013, 03:30 PM
If you want to see some original history try this.

http://pacersdigest.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pacers&action=display&thread=12

Says I was a new member August 15th 2003. Wonder why it took me so long to register on the improved PD in 2004? :confused:

BillS
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
PD Episode IV: A New Hope

It is a period of civil war.
Rebel Pacer fans, striking
from a hidden IP address, have won
their first victory against
the evil Indianapolis Star
Forum Admins.

During the battle, PD
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Star's
ultimate weapon, the FORUM
SOFTWARE, an open source
application with enough power
to destroy an entire member
base.

Pursued by the Star's
sinister agents, Hicks
races toward Able Towers,
custodian of the
stolen code that can save his
posters and restore
freedom to the fanbase...

rabid
02-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah IIRC the moderators on IndyStar were these invisible people that moderated pretty much arbitrarily... threads got deleted for no reason, some people got banned while worse offenders were ignored, etc. PD was very much Hicks' (and a few others') reaction to that I believe.

Hicks and the early mods he recruited really made a point early on to moderate fairly, transparently and in an engaged way. Honestly I think this simple (not easy, but simple) formula is the key to PD's success.

I actually did a lot of the graphic design for the first version or two of PD (I'm not bragging, the latest versions are much better lol), Hicks was learning as he went, able volunteered to host the site for free (I believe he still does), everyone was chipping in in different ways.

There were a lot of crazy features that came and went in the early days. There was sort of a blog/home page thing at one point; I did a couple issues of an "Onion"-like spoof Pacers news page; and of course the forum itself went through many many iterations. Once or twice for various reasons all the data / previous posts got lost (including the brawl I think?, but maybe I'm wrong), but now I think the archives go back to at least 2006, maybe earlier...

I'm sure others here (Hicks, Peck, Shade, UB, etc) could give a fuller picture, my involvement dropped substantially after 2005 or so...

Kid Minneapolis
02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
RATS boards were over-run with ******** and no moderation at all. Piston fans were obnoxious to us and there was absolutely no control at all.

I remember getting the PM from someone on the RATS board, I wanna say it was Hicks, but mighta been someone else way back in 2003-2004 saying "Hey, we're starting a new board to get away from all this crap, you are welcome to join." So I did. It was a little slow going in the first year, but quickly turned into the best Pacer forum out there in terms of good discussion and mostly control of the trouble-makers, although a few have slipped through the cracks... but eventually they get weeded out.

RWB
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
although a few have slipped through the cracks... but eventually they get weeded out.
Hey now I think you would have to agree someone like Earl was a savant. ;)

ECKrueger
02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I suppose I could give it a try.

The details are sketchy because, well, my memory blows without someone helping me remember sometimes, so I don't remember all the "who said what" 's and things like that.

What I do know is we were all (the original members of PD mostly were, anyway) posting on IndyStar, and various things were turning people off from it bit by bit. There was some trolling and uncivil attitude, though not nearly as bad as it is now, but enough to bug some of us. The admins never communicated with anyone, they just randomly decided to address private complaints by banning people or deleting threads.

I decided I could do better than those clowns, and clean up the trolls and uncivil stuff while I was at it. So I found a free message board hosting site, and decided to give it a whirl. This was through proboards.com. The original PD still exists as "Site B" or "Pacers Digest II" for when this place is down for a few hours.

I quickly tried to match the colors of this new board to IS so people felt more familiar. Bit by bit people gave me a chance. The first to give me a shot was Shade, who had been banned from IS days before. Soon I PMed several of what I considered to be the best posters of IS, to see if they would give me a shot.

Over the first couple months most eventually made the switch, but it was by no means a certainty at the time. I was 1/4 the admin I am now (no experience, too immature, less decisive, etc), and early on PD was rough around the edges. A lot of young posters, who at the time dominated discussion, and the rules were not clear cut at the time, so immaturity and uncivil stuff was hit and miss.

What saved me, was I made a hell of a lucky choice in seeking an advisor, kerosene. He had PMed me early on with some friendly advice, and it proved to be gold. I made him an admin to help me out, and we convinced Jose Slaughter to help both of us.

This was the beginning of shaping things up, but again it was not a smooth transition, and it was a gradual change. Not long after, Shade joined the admin ranks.

It was around September when I think Peck committed, and being the MVP that he is, once he did that, a lot of people who were on the fence between IS and PD jumped ship to PD, and that's when I started to think this might really get somewhere.

It was around then, that I decided to throw my money into it. I bought webspace with a provider I thought at the time was decent, and I moved PD from proboards to my server space, using phpbb as the forum software. In the months that followed, Jose left the admin ranks, and btown joined them. We were doing a better job of establishing what we expected out of this place, and starting to form an identity by having more clear rules, more consistent admining, things like that.

In January, PD nearly died. Either by slimy actions of my host, or by an attacker who they were too incompetent to deal with, the forum was nailed and my host shut it down because whomever was attacking us, was attacking 100 other sites that shared the server, and since it was originating from PD, they shut me down.

We re-grouped on proboards, and I have to say I was depressed. I thought things might die right then and there. Then I got a PM from able. He amazed me with his offer to host at no charge, PD. A man true to his word, he set me up with a server space, and we setup a fresh phpbb forum. I was too ignorant of how it worked at the time, so I mistakenly didn't save the database from the previous phpbb board, so we had to start from scratch.

Since that time, things have steadily improved. We continued on phpbb until the end of our 2004 playoff run, and then we decided to try a new software called bbBoard2. On the surface it looked like it rocked, but as time went on, we kept having problems, bugs, and slow connections. Eventually, we dropped it and through the big contribution of TheSauceMaster, who happened to own a license, we switched to this vBulletin that we still use today. Needless to say, vBulletin rocks.

Throughout that time, there were definite ups and downs forum-wise from a user and admin standpoint, but I feel we were overall improving as we went along.

These days, I think PD speaks for itself for the most part. Trolls don't last, civil discussion is promoted, the rules are clear, we admins deal with any problems, complaints, issues promptly as best we can, and we have a kick-*** group of people that post here now. A blend of old and young, a lot of good people, a lot of basketball knowledge, and a lot of humor.

I know I'm missing big things, but that's what I think of first off the top of my head, and anything I couldn't get into without assistance or else I'd screw it up. :D

Shade and kerosene might be able to fill in some of the gaps better than me.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?12066-History-of-this-site&highlight=history

There is also a TON in the Official PD FAQ thread stickied at the top of the forums.

diamonddave00
02-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Many years ago a young modern day Moses decided to lead other loyal Pacer fans to the land of more free expression against the evil Indystar Pacer board.

After many years of growth and weeding Moses recently yeilded control to others and rested after a job well done.

StankoLover216
02-11-2013, 04:27 PM
SOMETIME STANKO WILL MAKING POST. BEFORE STANKO, THERE BEING NO REASON HAVE READ FORUM. STANKO COME INDIANA MAKE DUNK SHOT. BOOM IS BABY!

ChicagoJ
02-11-2013, 04:38 PM
BOOM IS BABY?!???!?!!!

Oh my.

:lol:

Pacer Fan
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
I was not aware that Hicks was MStamper! I thought he had just been away like he said he was going to be...

I knew it was by his language and in a thread he was replying to me and he said something like "maybe we can get Hicks to clarify" and I laughed at that cause I knew it was him. I thought whatever man :) I guess he thought I didn't know that he was MStamper. LoL

iogyhufi
02-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Many years ago a young modern day Moses decided to lead other loyal Pacer fans to the land of more free expression against the evil Indystar Pacer board.

After many years of growth and weeding Moses recently yeilded control to others and rested after a job well done.

Thus Pacers Digest was finished, and all the host of it.
And in the tenth year Hicks ended his work which he had made; and he rested in the tenth year from all his work which he had made.

PD 2:1-2a

McKeyFan
02-11-2013, 04:58 PM
SOMETIME STANKO WILL MAKING POST. BEFORE STANKO, THERE BEING NO REASON HAVE READ FORUM. STANKO COME INDIANA MAKE DUNK SHOT. BOOM IS BABY!

Stanko is as entertaining as the Olympics, and unfortunately posts about as often.

McKeyFan
02-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Poster of the decade?

Hicks
02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Nice find, PurduePacer. Wow, I wrote that back in May 2005.

Yes, if there is/was confusion, this is Hicks. I thought everyone knew that already.

Anthem
02-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Really, the tone is set by the admins and trickles down from there. Pretty much everybody here has stepped out of line a time or to, but Hicks and crew do a pretty good job of keeping everything civil.

Heck, I've even gotten the occasional reprimand, and I'm practically perfect in every way.

ECKrueger
02-12-2013, 02:43 AM

Yes, if there is/was confusion, this is Hicks. I thought everyone knew that already.

I do what I can. I knew I remembered a thread on this issue so I set out to find it. Wasn't too hard.

Kstat
02-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Ah, the old days....seemed like we were setting up a new pacers digest every other week....

It's pretty close to the 10th anniversary of the original PD, is it not? I recall things started up around draft time...

pizza guy
02-12-2013, 04:04 AM
PD has no beginning or end. It just IS.

At least, for me, cuz I was never on RATS. My dad was, and he followed over here, then told me about it. This board has made me a better basketball fan, and sports fan in general.

Although, I'm still confused about the old Burlington Coat Factory story/joke...

Heisenberg
02-12-2013, 05:07 AM
I'm pretty new in the process of PD, relatively, but it really is incredibly civil. I don't mean to say the mods and admins don't do a great job, but I'm on here a lot, other than the odd spambot there's rarely actually anything that legitimately should be deleted. I've spent a good bit of time on random general basketball message boards, moderated some, one pretty popular one. The traffic to idiocy ratio is astoundingly low here, even compared to other team specific boards. Go read SpursTalk, or LakerGrounds, or any number of the SB Nation blogs.

FireTheCoach
02-12-2013, 06:03 AM
I've been here from the beginning too... :D

Johanvil
02-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Poster of the decade?

Was looking his thanked posts history and pumped into this gem from AesopRockOn

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?71790-Kyrylo-Fesenko-The-Comedian&p=1427596&viewfull=1#post1427596

:laugh::laugh:

D0NT SH0OT ME
02-12-2013, 08:03 AM

Ya know, it probably wouldn't be that bad of an idea to spruce that post up a bit and kind of make it a mission statement for the forum. Would be an easy way to introduce the website to newcomers.

Anthem
02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
I've been here from the beginning too... :D
I'm fairly certain I was the third person on this board, behind Hicks and Jose Slaughter.

Eindar
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
I believe I was invited in by Jose Slaughter. RATS was crazy at that time, and it got even worse after the exodus, going from arbitrary over-moderation to none whatsoever. I think the admins have either gotten a lot better with more experience, or maybe I've just grown up a bit. Either way, the admins are now top notch, and as a result, people who are disruptive seem to be quickly and politely dealt with. I don't post as much as I used to, now that I have kids and a career, but I always think of PD as my go-to for educated Pacers/NBA discussion.

Mac_Daddy
02-12-2013, 09:53 AM
I somehow got here from the ESPN Pacers board a long, long time ago. I can't recall how I found it, but I imagine someone that was on here probably found me on the ESPN board and brought me over. I clearly don't post much.

ECKrueger
02-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Although, I'm still confused about the old Burlington Coat Factory story/joke...

01.03.01 - Burlington Coat Factory - Several forum parties from 2003-2007 took place at Briggsy's Pizza King in Castleton. Briggy's was a small building located on the outskirts of the parking lot of the nearby Burlington Coat Factory.

The summer forum party of 2004 took place on the day in which it was announced that Al Harrington had been traded to the Atlanta Hawks for Stephen Jackson.

One of the party members, a poster by the name of Tim, was well known as a very strong supporter of Harrington at that time. Ironically, prior to the trade announcement, he had already passionately explained his position on Harrington to the other party members earlier that evening. Tim appeared to be dejected after the news broke.

As the party was winding down, the remaining party members were standing outside in the parking lot to conclude the evening. When Tim finally decided to leave, he took off in his vehicle heading directly at the Burlington Coat Factory. From the point of view of the remaining party members, Tim appeared to be failing to apply the brakes on his vehicle as he drew closer and closer to the BCF.

In jest, the observers started to imply he was trying to commit suicide in his despair by yelling exclamations to Tim such as, "No!" "Don't do it!" and "Stop!" before he finally slowed down and turned parallel to the front of the BCF.

Since that time, members of Pacers Digest who understand the reference will occasionally threaten to drive into the Burlington Coat Factory if something they view as particularly unfavorable with the Pacers were to happen.

From the stickied FAQ.

Unclebuck
02-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Really?

OK here is the really short version. Once Upon a Time there was a poster named Tim who used to come to forum parties, he was a huge Al Harrington fan. We just so happen to have a forum party on the night that the Pacers traded Al Harrington. Although it wasn't really that long ago, no one knew about the trade until suaveness walked in and told us the pacers traded Al. Well Tim was distraught the rest of the night. (hard to believe that none of us were tuned into the trade until suave walked in, I guess smart phones weren't the same back then)

OK, so a few hours later we all get up to leave, and a few of us are outside talking in front of the Pizza King (in the parking lot) which affords a good view of the Burlington Coat Factory. Tim gets in his car and drives towards the BCF, he wasn't driving fast or anything, but from our angle it really loooked like he was going to collide into the front of the building of BCF. Obviously he turned away from the building and Tim was safe and sound. But it really did look there for a few seconds that Tim was driving right into the front entrance of the BCF - we figured he was so upset about Al being traded he must have decided life wasn't worth living.

The car wasn't speeding towards BCF, looked like Tim was so upset he didn't have the energy even to drive fast into the building.

Really you had to be there. It really was funny - really it was. And it has made for a good stories all these years.

edit, i didn't notice the version right before my post. Oh well you have two versions of it

Drewtone
02-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Really, the tone is set by the admins and trickles down from there. Pretty much everybody here has stepped out of line a time or to, but Hicks and crew do a pretty good job of keeping everything civil.

Heck, I've even gotten the occasional reprimand, and I'm practically perfect in every way.

If that's true, how did Sassan last so long????

Randolph_HorseLips
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the responses, all.

I've enjoyed this board so far. I tend to get burned out and/or bored with most message boards I try (with the exception of one particular baseball MB that I have been frequenting for 11 years).

My only criticism (which could be taken as a compliment) is that this board almost seems too busy and hard to keep up with at times.

McKeyFan
02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm fairly certain I was the third person on this board, behind Hicks and Jose Slaughter.

Any thoughts on who is an active member on this board who was the or one of the earliest contributors on RATS?

BillS
02-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Any thoughts on who is an active member on this board who was the or one of the earliest contributors on RATS?

Not the CORE! NOT THE CORE! :onozomg:

McKeyFan
02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Was looking his thanked posts history and pumped into this gem from AesopRockOn

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?71790-Kyrylo-Fesenko-The-Comedian&p=1427596&viewfull=1#post1427596

:laugh::laugh:
Actually, the quoted portion from StankoLover is the funniest part.

cramerica
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Hicks might not remember this and maybe it's a figment of my imaginiation but I remember introducing Hicks to proboards as I had just created a board on there. Anyways, I still check this board every single day even though I don't post hardly at all anymore. It's awesome to see where we were 10 years ago and where we are today.

It should be a testament to how great this board is when people like me, who haven't met anyone on here and hardly ever posts, feel like they are apart of the PD family.

Sollozzo
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I started reading the STAR board during the crazy 2003 offseason which saw the re-signing of JO and Reggie, the hiring of Bird, and the trading of Brad Miller for Scot Pollard. The offseason got even more crazy when we fired Zeke and hired Carlisle, which was right around the time this board was created, IIRC. I'm proud to say that I joined at the very beginning and have been here ever since. It's without question one of the best sports message boards I've ever run across.

ChicagoJ
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM

I'm fairly certain that we know that Skaut_H was THE original poster at RATS. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't start following any basketball message boards until after I'd been exiled up here for a while and I just couldn't stand the mess at RATS, but wanted to find somebody - anybody - to "talk" about the Pacers/NBA with, so Hicks started PD at just the right time for me to find it.

McKeyFan
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
I started reading the STAR board during the crazy 2003 offseason which saw the re-signing of JO and Reggie, the hiring of Bird, and the trading of Brad Miller for Scot Pollard. The offseason got even more crazy when we fired Zeke and hired Carlisle, which was right around the time this board was created, IIRC. I'm proud to say that I joined at the very beginning and have been here ever since. It's without question one of the best sports message boards I've ever run across.

I started on the STAR board about the time Harrington was drafted, I believe--a long time ago. But I imagine there are several PD members who were on STARS long before me.

Peck
02-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I joined the Indiana's Game board, which I think is what it was called at the time in very early 1994. I'm pretty sure it was March it had been around about a month before I started on it, I had been on compuserv and found out there that the Star/News were going to start a web board. Scott H or Skaut ech as I think he is called now was certainly there before me.

However I would guess that I am probably the oldest active member still left from the early star board. Owl might be in at around the same time as me or he might have been there before I'm not sure when you get to my age your memory starts to go to hell.

What's sad is that in reality up until that last year or so the star board was pretty good. We had trolls of course but generally we were able to keep them in their place. But fortunately when the board did tank big time, which it did, Hicks and Shade gave us all a newer better home.

This place is an oasis from most of the online sites in the world. I am member of a board for my chosen profession and it is filled with years and years of experience and expertise and it is also one of the worst boards I've ever been on. Childish name calling and bickering to no end.

Hicks early on set the tone that we were all going to try and be civil to one another and over the years I think the board has been just that. Early on as a member I appreciated the fact that I could criticize certain players (Jermaine O'Neal) and others weren't going to just verbally flame me without using logic and reason. Then later as a moderator myself I've tried to really uphold that ideal.

Are we perfect? No but I do think that 90+% of the time that we get it right. And by saying we I mean we as the collective not the admins.

Honestly over the years of helping out with the board, first for Hicks and now for Shade, I can say that the board really almost runs itself. On occasion we have to step in but I'm telling you the amount of both posts and traffic on here that the times we step in are very minuscule.

We honestly have some of the best posters on the internet and in my mind some of the most knowledgeable posters about both the NBA and basketball.

Proof in my mind that we are generally a civil society is that we have a couple of long tenured posters who are not even Pacers fans who call this site home. Sure they have had their run ins with some posters but if it was so miserable on them here they would have left but they are some of our biggest and best contributors on the site.

I'm not trying to just blow smoke up people's butts here, this site would not exist without all of us working together to make it happen.

Also I would be remiss without saying that we all owe Able a great deal of thanks, in fact we will never be able to repay him for what he has done (for free I might add). Thanks to Roaming Gnome one time posting photo's of Lucas Oil Stadium before it was open he drew so much traffic here that it actually crashed Able's servers. Also ask me about the time Gnome boo'd the national anthem. :devil:

Naptown_Seth
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
By the time I started posting at Star due to getting temp booted from a non-sports forum thanks to Brawl related off-topic fight threads all of the core PD people had already left, so I didn't know about it. Some guys that were still doing both sites started pestering me to switch over, but with so many friends at Star I was reluctant and didn't feel like i could double post like that (feels redundant).

In the meantime some Star troll went over to PD using my user name and acted the fool. So someone comes to Star and asks me via PM if that's me and what's up. Of course it wasn't. By the time I made the leap the old NaptownSeth was booted, but it caused a lot of confusion because people thought I was that same poster.

And then since then, not due to that, I have gotten some wrist slaps like Anthem has. It sucks but ultimately I prefer that to non-moderation. I don't really get why people get bent out of shape over a general sense of decorum and control. There are good reasons to avoid 9 million duplicate topic threads and I'm glad PD enforces those kinds of rules.

Plus - Pictures, sigs and thread histories that aren't erased every month or so. Pet peeve at Star was someone mouthing off a ridiculous prediction and by the time it could be judged the entire thread was long gone. I like that your words can haunt you here because hopefully it makes people a bit more cautious with what they say.

vapacersfan
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
By the time I started posting at Star due to getting temp booted from a non-sports forum thanks to Brawl related off-topic fight threads all of the core PD people had already left, so I didn't know about it. Some guys that were still doing both sites started pestering me to switch over, but with so many friends at Star I was reluctant and didn't feel like i could double post like that (feels redundant).

In the meantime some Star troll went over to PD using my user name and acted the fool. So someone comes to Star and asks me via PM if that's me and what's up. Of course it wasn't. By the time I made the leap the old NaptownSeth was booted, but it caused a lot of confusion because people thought I was that same poster.

And then since then, not due to that, I have gotten some wrist slaps like Anthem has. It sucks but ultimately I prefer that to non-moderation. I don't really get why people get bent out of shape over a general sense of decorum and control. There are good reasons to avoid 9 million duplicate topic threads and I'm glad PD enforces those kinds of rules.

Plus - Pictures, sigs and thread histories that aren't erased every month or so. Pet peeve at Star was someone mouthing off a ridiculous prediction and by the time it could be judged the entire thread was long gone. I like that your words can haunt you here because hopefully it makes people a bit more cautious with what they say.

For the longest time I thought that the old poster was you.

Guess it shows I am kind of slow, but I only recently realized the other poster was banned and you made a refrence in another post to the other one

RWB
02-12-2013, 03:01 PM
These past history threads always bring me back to some great posters no longer here. How dare they let life intrude on their fandom. :D

I do wonder what happened to posters like TWES, Putnam, Spicoli, Gyron, and McClintic Sphere.

rabid
02-12-2013, 03:33 PM
These past history threads always bring me back to some great posters no longer here. How dare they let life intrude on their fandom. :D

I do wonder what happened to posters like TWES, Putnam, Spicoli, Gyron, and McClintic Sphere.

And PFFL...

Pacers13Colts12
02-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I think I joined this board in around 2004 or 2005. I was at BSU at the time I know that. I used to be FeistyFoster but I think I got banned for something, but was able to rejoin later on. Never been to a forum party, but the stalker side of me have seen some of the members at games. Just too afraid to talk to someone, not 100% sure if it is them or not lol.

McKeyFan
02-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I think I joined this board in around 2004 or 2005. I was at BSU at the time I know that. I used to be FeistyFoster but I think I got banned for something, but was able to rejoin later on. Never been to a forum party, but the stalker side of me have seen some of the members at games. Just too afraid to talk to someone, not 100% sure if it is them or not lol.

I like "FeistyFoster." For the record, names with "Pacer" in them seem to all run together.

Brad8888
02-12-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm practically perfect in every way.

:bowdown:

I am wondering where Graham is these days???

vapacersfan
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
I like "FeistyFoster." For the record, names with "Pacer" in them seem to all run together.

Funnily enough, probably years ago, I remember UB in a post talking about posters names who had Pacers in it and who it seemed they all ran together.

I may be talking about a thread from like 04-05 when I first joined, or maybe it was when I was in college, but I definitely remember that thread.

Weird the random **** you remember

Anthem
02-12-2013, 06:50 PM
If that's true, how did Sassan last so long????
Ironically, every single infraction I've gotten was from administering forceful correction to somebody I thought was a troll. There's the Redickulous thread, several run-ins with random Europeans (we referred to them as the Cabbage Patch Kids), and some others I've forgotten.

I'm a pretty mellow guy, but I'm not good at letting idiocy go unchallenged.

Anthem
02-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Also I would be remiss without saying that we all owe Able a great deal of thanks, in fact we will never be able to repay him for what he has done (for free I might add). Thanks to Roaming Gnome one time posting photo's of Lucas Oil Stadium before it was open he drew so much traffic here that it actually crashed Able's servers.
I think there was a mega-trade at one point that knocked him offline as well. And the brawl was brutal as well, if I remember correctly.

Poor able had to keep increasing resources for this site. If people realized how much it's cost him over the years, they'd be shocked.

grace
02-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Hi, :wave:

I'm the one who puts everyone on ignore.

Anthem
02-12-2013, 06:54 PM
And PFFL...
I've seen A-Train on here recently, which is cool. He's a really cool guy.

ChicagoJ
02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
-snip- several run-ins with random Europeans (we referred to them as the Cabbage Patch Kids),

The bad, old days. Don't miss that at all. This place was unreadable.

Sollozzo
02-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I think the best compliment one can give to this board is that it remained a premier place for basketball discussion despite the fact that the Pacers were a miserable franchise from 2004-2010, which were 6 of the forum's first 7 seasons. The first year of the forum coincided with a wildly successful Pacer season in which we won 61 games and made the Conference Finals. There was obviously a lot of hope going into 2004-2005, but we all know what happened that season. After Reggie retired, we had a first round exit in 05-06 and followed that up with four pathetically boring poor seasons. Yet PD remained a premier place for basketball discussion.

I consider this my Colts board too. Most of the Colts boards are complete garbage. There are a lot of good Colts fans here, as well as non-Colt fans. It's great for IU and Purdue discussion too. Just an excellent all around forum.

immortality
02-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I actually found the board Googling the names of the more interesting people in the Star board, after they left the discussions lacked substance and there was very little discussion. I think I googled Unclebuck and Naptown Seth.

Roaming Gnome
02-12-2013, 07:50 PM
I came in on the train of those dissatisfied with the Star boards on the birth night of PD. I started posting on the STAR boards in '97 under the handle of Raptor_X and EDogg back in the day. The reason this place is the way it is.... Is because of the people. Not just the admins, but the regular posters looking out for each other and not taking themselves so seriously that they can't find room for disagreement. Kudos to Hicks, Shade and the early admins for setting the tone and making our jobs as Admins on the board a fairly simple one.

BillS
02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Ironically, every single infraction I've gotten was from administering forceful correction to somebody I thought was a troll. There's the Redickulous thread, several run-ins with random Europeans (we referred to them as the Cabbage Patch Kids), and some others I've forgotten.

I'm a pretty mellow guy, but I'm not good at letting idiocy go unchallenged.

It's kind of a matter of letting the admins handle what needs to be handled. We get paid the zero bucks to take the flack and have the means to stop stuff from escalating. As well meaning as help is, it is often more like trying to put out a stovetop fire with flour (*whoosh*)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Graham Mernatsi
02-12-2013, 09:10 PM
:bowdown:

I am wondering where Graham is these days???
I lurk, as always, and judge you based on your command of the English language.

Anthem
02-12-2013, 09:15 PM
No need to be a jerk about it. People usually write as well as they're capable of writing, bless their hearts.

Seriously, I really do value the fact that I'm (usually) able to read and understand what people write on here. The board is one of the more literate ones on the net.

Anthem
02-12-2013, 09:17 PM
It's kind of a matter of letting the admins handle what needs to be handled. We get paid the zero bucks to take the flack and have the means to stop stuff from escalating. As well meaning as help is, it is often more like trying to put out a stovetop fire with flour (*whoosh*)
Hey, I'm not complaining. The admins do a great job. On the rare occasion where I've gotten a talking-to, it's always been earned.

vapacersfan
02-12-2013, 09:18 PM
No need to be a jerk about it. People usually write as well as they're capable of writing, bless their hearts.

I agree with you two.

If only they're were more people who understoodz this.

Graham Mernatsi
02-12-2013, 09:23 PM
I agree with you two.

If only they're were more people who understoodz this.
Punk.

:arrgh:

McKeyFan
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I've seen A-Train on here recently, which is cool. He's a really cool guy.

aka LA Pacersfan . . . right?

Anthem
02-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Not that I know of...

vapacersfan
02-12-2013, 09:33 PM
I love you Graham Mernatsi :)

P.S. I will say I agree with Anthem above. Lord knows I had a hard time following some of Pacers4Ever's posts in the beginning, but he has definitely gotten better.

Also, his basketball knowledge is out of this world.

Graham Mernatsi
02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
I love you Graham Mernatsi :)
58 posts in 7 years. I'm shocked anyone knows my name, really.

Guess I just have one of those faces.

:arrgh:

02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
My wife: "What do you do with the iPad in the bathroom."
Me: "Nothing..."
My wife: "Babe, tell me."
Me: "Okay. I have a secret. I contribute to an online forum of fellow adults who geek out on Pacer nuances."

This place is awesome.

McKeyFan
02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Which makes me wonder who StankoLover is. I feel pretty certain it's a regular poster on here, as we know other members have alias's.

I'd nominate Anthem as a possibility. He's clever enough . . . but I don't think he's THAT funny.

McKeyFan
02-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Not that I know of...

Actually, CA Pacersfan, I'm pretty sure. He switched to it for a few years then switched back.

Anthem
02-12-2013, 11:32 PM
I'd nominate Anthem as a possibility. He's clever enough . . . but I don't think he's THAT funny.
Don't let this avatar fool you. I'm hilarious.

esabyrn333
02-13-2013, 12:18 AM

O lord it's hard to be humble when your perfect in every way....

McKeyFan
02-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Don't let this avatar fool you. I'm hilarious.

My nominees are Magic Rat, Avoiding the Clowns, and Twes (he still lurks).

Downtown Bang!
02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Did guys like Chauncey, Sassan, SkautH etc. etc. end up coming over here from the Star boards? I certainly recogize quite a few of the old monikers and posting styles from the 90's version of Star board but quite a few also seem to have moved on.

With the exception of a short period around the brawl I basically gave up on B-Ball message boards for the better part of a decade so missed the fall of Star/News, birth of PD and associated drama.

McKeyFan
02-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Sasson was there big time- incredibly crazy- but i think under a different name.

Kstat
02-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Sassan had a meteoric rise and fall...he endeared himself quickly and ostracized himself just as fast, to a point that he united the entire forum in wanting him gone.

I look back upon the last ten years here as a scrapbook full of memories...that's how I live my life now.

Anthem
02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
I look back upon the last ten years here as a scrapbook full of memories...that's how I live my life now.
Let's just move on.

Anthem
02-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Let's just move on.
I tried to find Earl's original thread, but it's harder than I thought. We've got 70 threads with those words in it now... what a legacy from a simple troll!

EDIT: OH GREAT GRAVY THIS IS AMAZING.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?39278-IGNORE-THIS-THREAD-THE-MOVIE

I'd forgotten all about that.

Anthem
02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Here it is, in all its glory. Oh man, what a classic thread.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?12242-Awards-a-farce

EDIT: The amazingness starts on page 3. Parts of a foot? Going out with my grandkids, even though I'm 39?

And the classic:

Plans change. That`s how I live my life now. Let`s please move on...

Oh man, comedy gold.

Earl: A remembrance :cry:

Well, I'm not much for public speaking. I'm mostly a humble aw-shucks kind of guy. But now that Earl is no longer with us, I figgered one of needed to memorialize this fella who touched our lives so richly in such a brief period of time.

I think I speak for us all when I say I remember Earl as a man who wasn't afraid to stand up for what was right, whether it was his country (for which he lost part of his foot, or possibly some limbs, I'm not sure which) or his pride (I remember the way he would say please when asking people to stop 'disrespecting' him). He was a man loved his grandkids, even if he did deceive them about what they would be doing when they visited his home ('hey kids, want to go out tonight?' 'well kids, when I said "going out", I meant staying in and watching me type messages on the internet. That's how I live my life. Let's please move on.').

Earl also stood up for a young man who is also no longer with us. Maybe it was the way they both used multiple X's in their user name, or maybe it was something deeper and more spiritual, but something united Earl to Sassan in a way that inspired us all. Earl didn't mind being skewered by the corrupt powers that be ( :cough:Hicks:cough: ) to stand up for this special young man and his dignity, even in the face of being disrespected. We have all been humbled and enriched by this relationship, which is exactly what it was (a relationship) because Earl was not Sassan. at all. totally. let's please move on.

Now, there has been a lot of talk, maybe too much talk - about Earl's insatiable passion for filthy space alien pornography, but really....this isn't the time or place to bring that up. Please. Let's move on....

I'm sure all of us, his grandkids, Earl's old training buddies at Camp Pendleton, and his current military friends in the covert intellingence field, would rather have us remember Earl for his more positive qualities. Granted, he got confused easily and often, and he sometimes couldn't remember how to use proper grammAr, but the man cared.

Yes, he cared. He was rude, stupid, ignorant, and pitiful. But he cared. And isn't that really the point? That he cared and he stood up for his beliefs. And that's the thing. And his strength. He cared, he stood up for things, and he had strength. or he was strong. Yeah, he cared, he stood up, and was strong....well, maybe it was more about how he stood up to Hicks. Yeah, yeah, that's the main thing. He stood up to Hicks. And Shade, too. He stood up to Hicks and Shade. Or maybe he stood up for Sassan.

Well, its all those things. Plus a whole bunch more things, all rolled up into one. And that, my friends, is what Earl was to me.

Brad8888
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
It has been written
Much history recorded
Many brilliant ways

TinManJoshua
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Whatever happened to Vicious Tyrant? I don't think he was still posting when I registered, but his "Remembrance" of "earl" was the funniest thing I've ever read on a message board.

ChicagoJ
02-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Whatever happened to Vicious Tyrant? I don't think he was still posting when I registered, but his "Remembrance" of "earl" was the funniest thing I've ever read on a message board.

I keep in touch with him on Facebook. I've known him since college and every once in a while I try to drag him back over here. Career, grad school, kids, they take a lot of time.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Here it is, in all its glory. Oh man, what a classic thread.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?12242-Awards-a-farce
That is still the best damn thread I've ever read on the internet :laugh:

Pacers13Colts12
02-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Was Sassan the one who collected Jermaine's wrist bands?

vapacersfan
02-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Was Sassan the one who collected Jermaine's wrist bands?

That was Jermaniac.

I only remember because at the one forum party I attended JO was brought up.

Someone said something slightly negative, but true none the less, and someone (maybe Peck) started chuckling and said "I can feel the earth shaking a bit in Cali. A young JO fan is not happy with us at all" or something to the effect (I am paraphrasing, but it was funny in the moment)

Spicoli
02-13-2013, 05:59 PM

:wave:

Geezer sold my house!! Wait, what, that was 5 years ago??? I must be drunk again. Sometimes I blackout and entire years pass me by. The headaches are the worst.

Twes hacked up 3 drifters in Oklahoma a decade ago and has been lying low ever since. One day that devilish detective will get his comeuppance and the tree people will rise again.

:hungry:

Pace Maker
02-13-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty new here, I stumbled on this board last year through blind luck. The only sports forum I visited was RealGM, still a forum I visit everyday for the General Board, but the Pacers board was basically a wasteland. Gamethreads would be lucky to reach 3 pages. I tried to post there, but there is only so long one can basically talk to himself during games. I had lived in Evansville Indiana for the majority of my life, and I'm very sorry to say I hardly knew ANY people who gave a damn about the Pacers. I saw our awful attendance on the TV, it seems silly but I assumed we didn't really have very many fans, let alone diehards who would post on a Pacers message board.

Anyways, while we were playing the Bulls in some regular season game last year I was lurking through the Bulls RealGM board to read their opinions about the Pacers and what not, that was basically my Pacers fix. All of a sudden some Bulls fan posted a link to PD so some of their posters could see what we were saying about them. Needless to say, you guys don't know how happy I was to see an active Pacers board, with other passionate fans. I had no idea a place like this existed, and I'm freaking glad I found it.

My rambling aside, this board is awesome. The fact that some people actually consider vznla, a legitiamte Pacers fan who at times has unpopular opinions, a troll here, speaks wonders about this place. There are people about a billion times worse/negative on other boards that we don't have to deal with thankfully because of solid moderating/management.

Just my 2 cents, long live PD :buddies:

Powww
03-15-2013, 03:20 PM
That was Jermaniac.

I only remember because at the one forum party I attended JO was brought up.

Someone said something slightly negative, but true none the less, and someone (maybe Peck) started chuckling and said "I can feel the earth shaking a bit in Cali. A young JO fan is not happy with us at all" or something to the effect (I am paraphrasing, but it was funny in the moment)

I didnt collect anybodies wristbands. You are mistaken

A-Train
03-15-2013, 03:42 PM

CA PacerFan....man, you guys are good!

While I haven't been able to post here as often as I would have liked over the years, I am always impressed by the dedication and knowledge that exists here. And I know that at any time, if I need to put my finger on the pulse of the Indiana Pacers, this is the place I go. Hands down.

Heck, i just need to read a couple of Peck's game summaries, and that alone gets me up to speed :cool: