PDA

View Full Version : Carter traded in blockbuster...

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Chad Ford is saying a deal is pretty close that would send Vince Carter to NJ for Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, and future draft picks.

I just heard this on ESPNNEWS and Ford is supposed to be reporting on this in a little bit.

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:07 PM
The draft picks are supposed to be 2 future 1st round picks.

This deal would really help out Chris Bosh, and possibly push the Raps into the playoffs if Zo doesn't get injured or anything.

The Nets get a few more fans when they move into Brooklyn, but they'd have NO depth, and that's not good with a vulnerable Carter on the team

Hicks
12-17-2004, 03:10 PM
The Adventures of Half-Season and Jefferson? Ha ha ha.

Kegboy
12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
My first thought was, "Oh, *****, I don't want Jason Kidd passing to Carter."

My second thought was, "Uh, does NJ have any power players left?"

My third thought was, "This makes Toronto much better."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1948449

Raptors in serious talks to send Carter to Nets

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

The New Jersey Nets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=njn) and Toronto Raptors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=tor) are in serious talks about a trade that would send Vince Carter (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3248) to the Nets, several league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford on Friday.

The Raptors would acquire Alonzo Mourning (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=845), Eric Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3016), Aaron Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2222) and two first round draft picks in exchange for Carter. According to those same sources, the talks have moved to the point that they could be finalized before the end of the day.

All trades must be approved by the league office and players must pass physicals before they can become official. Carter is currently on the injured list with a strained left Achilles' tendon suffered last Friday and is to miss at least five games.

If the trade goes through, it would be the most serious indication yet that the Nets want to keep Jason Kidd (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2625) and are willing to build a championship contender around him. After the offseason trades of Kenyon Martin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3400) and Kerry Kittles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3095), Kidd expressed his displeasure with the direction the Nets were taking. However, with Carter on board, the Nets have a shot at moving back into contention.

According to one source, Kidd was briefed on the trade and thinks Carter will be a strong addition to the team.

A backcourt of Kidd, Carter and Richard Jefferson is a highlight reel waiting to happen. However the Nets will be very thin up front. After the trade, the Nets would have just Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine and rookie Nenad Kristic to play on the front line. The move has more interesting implications for the Raptors. Both Aaron and Eric Williams are the type of players that Sam Mitchell is after. They are tough, blue collar guys who will play their hearts out. Mourning gives them some size at the five that they desperately need. However, it will be interesting to see how Mourning reacts to the trade.

He's been asking out of New Jersey all season because he wants to play for a contender. Whatever you think about this trade for Toronto, it's tough to say that it turns them into a playoff caliber team. Instead, the Raptors are trying to surround their star young player, Chris Bosh, with solid, veteran players who play the right way. The two first round picks should help them rebuild.

The Nets currently have in hand their own first round pick, the Sixers first round pick (top 8 protected) and the Clippers first rounder (top 14 protected). It wasn't clear immediately which picks would be headed to Toronto in the trade.

Chad Ford (http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/writeback?name=Chad+Ford) covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:13 PM
The Adventures of Half-Season and Jefferson? Ha ha ha.

Kidd would still be on the team, although who knows for how long, although I think it would kill a Minnesota deal; maybe Dallas or Memphis or Denver now.

Kegboy
12-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks for merging, Hicks.

Hicks
12-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Also must echo Kegboy's comment about "Do they have any power players left?"

They'll have Jason Collins and.... umm...... lemme think; gimme a minutes.... ummmm.... I don't know.

Hicks
12-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for merging, Hicks.
No problem; first forum we've had that does this very well :laugh:

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Why would the Nets do this now, instead of waiting until Carter's healthy?

I think if the Nets did this, they would become/stay the worst team in the east, except maybe Atlanta.

Hicks
12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Meanwhile, love this for the Raptors. They were getting sick of Vince, played well w/o him, etc, and they get depth, size, and draft picks for someone they didn't really want anymore. Looks good to me.

You get to make Woods the backup C to Morning, and he and A.Williams battle for who's 2nd/3rd there, still letting Bosh be PF. Good.

You add a nice veteran F in E.Williams to add savy, defense, and I believe some toughness.

Obviously they become deeper, and they get some future picks too. Sweet for them.

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Meanwhile, love this for the Raptors. They were getting sick of Vince, played well w/o him, etc, and they get depth, size, and draft picks for someone they didn't really want anymore. Looks good to me.

You get to make Woods the backup C to Morning, and he and A.Williams battle for who's 2nd/3rd there, still letting Bosh be PF. Good.

You add a nice veteran F in E.Williams to add savy, defense, and I believe some toughness.

Obviously they become deeper, and they get some future picks too. Sweet for them.

Yeah I know, it actually makes me a little scared of the Raps, because of all the size.

They have to be sitting there going :signit:

Kegboy
12-17-2004, 03:22 PM
You got to think NJ's gonna want a Loren Woods or even a Matt Bonner. They've got Collins and Scalabrine, and some rookie euro. That's it, that's the list. For the 4 and 5. :blush:

Or, maybe they're trading Kidd for some power players. :whoknows:

Kegboy
12-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Speaking of which, we'll know tonight if anyone else is being included from Toronto, cause they'll be sitting out. :happydanc

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Besides a PR move, this makes no sense for NJ. Carter's contract is longer than all the players they're sending, plus they're losing draft picks to which they worked hard to get.

This gets a big fat :wtf:

Fool
12-17-2004, 03:27 PM
I imagine any trade to get a star to NJ that doesn't include Kidd leaving NJ means they are going to try and keep Kidd.

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:31 PM
I imagine any trade to get a star to NJ that doesn't include Kidd leaving NJ means they are going to try and keep Kidd.

Well the Nets are now out of players besides the big 3 players after this deal.

I have a weird feeling that a deal with Memphis for Kidd is on the horizon.

I could see Kidd for Jason Williams, Stromile Swift, and extras.

Possible Denver as well if it's Kidd for Andre Miller, Nene, etc.

Kegboy
12-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Toronto:

Alston/Palacio/Alvin Williams*
MoPete/Murray
Rose/Eric Williams/Bonner
Bosh/Marshall/Aaron Williams
Mourning/Woods/Araujo

New Jersey:

Kidd/Best/Vaughn/Planinic*
Carter/Buford/Mercer*
Jefferson/Dickens
Scalabrine
Collins/Kristic

I would not be the least surprised if Woods is added to this deal. If the numbers don't match, NJ could throw in Jacques Vaughn. Toronto could use another point since Alvin's hurt, and Travis has cemented himself as Kidd's backup.

Also, Toronto should try and get Frank Williams from Chicago, and get the JYD back from NY. That way, they can have an all Williams lineup. :lmao:

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Sorry guys, Im kind of slow in the drama with the rest of the NBA

Has Kidd said he wants to get out of NJ? Has he asked/demanded a trade at all?

He has requested/demanded a trade ever since Kenyon Martin left. I still think he's gone before the trade deadline, mostly because New Jersey will suck so badly.

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:39 PM
I guess this is a done deal now, sccording to ESPNNEWS.

Doug in CO
12-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I wonder what this means to the prospects of trading Rose

Kegboy
12-17-2004, 03:51 PM
I'd say they're dead. With Carter, there's at least hope he'll return to his pre-injured ways. Nobody wants Jalen just for Jalen's sake, not at that salary.

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:52 PM

I think those prospects are officially dead.

*Post #2000 :champagne :cry: :unimpress*

Doug in CO
12-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Who was the dumb *** who gave Jalen so much money? ;)

MSA2CF
12-17-2004, 03:55 PM
All that's left is the physicals...
--------
Nets get Vince Carter in 4-player deal

By OHM YOUNGMISUK

In a move that could keep Jason Kidd happy, the Nets acquired Vince Carter today in a blockbuster five-player deal, several league sources told the Daily News.

In exchange for the popular high-flying All Star, the Nets are sending Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams, Eric Williams and two first-round picks to the Raptors in a deal that will be announced later today. The two first-round picks - from Denver and Philadelphia were acquired in the Kenyon Martin trade.

The trade gives the Nets a scorer and one of the most popular players in the league. Kidd, who wanted to be traded after Martin was dealt to Denver in the offseason, now has two of the best finishers in the game to run with in Richard Jefferson and Carter. The Raptors, who play the Nets on Sunday, have been trying to deal Carter and the Knicks were one of several teams trying to acquire the All Star.

The trade is pending on all players involved passing physicals. Carter is currently on the injured list with a strained left Achilles.

Mourning has missed the last three games due to minor injuries.

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 03:55 PM
What morons at ESPN.

Vince Carter is NOT a superstar. They keep asking what Toronto is doing, when I'm wondering, besides PR what the hell NJ is doing.

Los Angeles
12-17-2004, 03:56 PM
It's pretty strange when you'd rather keep Rose over Carter. I wonder what Raptors people think about this?

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 04:00 PM
It's pretty strange when you'd rather keep Rose over Carter. I wonder what Raptors people think about this?

Rose has ZERO trade value by himself. Carter is still a supposed "superstar" plus he brings people to the seats.

Kegboy
12-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Okay, I wish everybody could have heard the idiot they had on ESPNNews. He writes for the NY Daily News, and he's the Nets beat writer. He was saying how great this deal is for NJ, that he couldn't believe they only had to give up "old guys" for Carter, said that Toronto is now going to have to rebuild! The anchor asked if he thought NJ was back to being one of the best in the East, and he admitted they needed to pick up a big man, but acted like that was no big deal.

His whole tone was he felt sorry for Raptors fans. Obviously, he's still living in 2001. :rolleyes:

[edit]It's the Ohm guy above I'm talking about. What an idiot.

Los Angeles
12-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Rose has ZERO trade value by himself. Carter is still a supposed "superstar" plus he brings people to the seats.Actually, Carter is a supposed "superstar" BECAUSE he brings people to the seats. I guess that's all the Nets are looking for this year. Though we could be close to them in the Playoff bracket if they get healthy. Carter hasn't really brought too many W's to Toronto, so who knows?

Jalen better buy some Canadian property, I don't see how he's movable now. Who would want him?

This is all dependant on the physical, any chance Carter fails because of the tendon thing? That would be hilarious.

Kegboy
12-17-2004, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Carter failed.

Screamin' A is on now, and he's setting the record straight on how this helped Toronto.

[edit] He also said that they'd love to get rid of Jalen too, but that's never gonna happen.

Sollozzo
12-17-2004, 08:38 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/8009271

Wow.....I know Carter wanted out, but did he honestly want to go to NJ?

Zo wanted out also, but I can't believe that he would want to go to Toronto.....

Cactus Jax
12-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Already posted.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8080

Los Angeles
12-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Ask for a trade, and you could end up in Atlanta. Now who does that bring to mind?

Anthem
12-17-2004, 08:43 PM
When asked what his first reaction was upon learning Carter had been dealt, Jalen Rose said, "Was it for Richard Jefferson?"

I just think that's hilarious.

Unclebuck
12-17-2004, 10:06 PM
I am not a big Vince Carter fan and yet I still think it is a good trade for the Nets, they gave up nothing of real value

Mourning
12-17-2004, 11:58 PM
how about those 2 future first rounders (which aren't going to be that low picks IMO)? The ability to play Bosh about 100% at PF where he plays best instead of at Center? Not too mention getting rid of a long and hefty contract for more and shorter term contracts (IF I'm correct)?

Good overall trade for the Raptors I would say.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

sweabs
12-18-2004, 12:55 AM
I think one of the local stations summed it up best:

"Vince is no longer Toronto's problem anymore".

Kegboy
12-18-2004, 01:06 AM
The title of this thread calls this trade a "blockbuster", yet I see no player of value being moved. Could we change it to "a bunch of players with not much basketball ability get traded because their respective teams are tired of paying their salaries and think that paying someone else to be barely mediocre will make them a better team"? It's kinda wordy though........
I don't agree. Eric Williams is a decent player. :-p