PDA

View Full Version : A different way of looking at MVP

Sookie
02-08-2013, 07:24 PM
So, I read a sports writer propose that the MVP is the player who is the leading scorer in wins for the most games.

Although I'm not sure how I feel about formula approaches for MVP, I think it's interesting, and was wondering how NBA players stacked up with each other (particularly, how Paul stacked up.) When doing this, I thought Monta Ellis vs Jennings was the most interesting. Jennings was overwhelmingly the leading scorer in wins, whereas Monta was overwhelmingly the leading scorer in losses. I'm not sure what it means, but I find it interesting.

Also, the top 5 would be my top five, I'm not sure if it would have been the order..but it would have been my top 5.

Bryant was the only player in the top 10 whose team had a record less than .500. Which I'd imagine the formula naturally fits. Kemba for instance, led his team in scoring for the highest percentage of wins...but was tied for 15th..because his team has won so little. And even better, if we make the slight adjustment that in order to qualify, the players team has to be over .500...PG is in the top 10. :D

I do think this formula hurts point guards the most, because players like Chris Paul, Ty Lawson and Deron Williams, obviously the best players on their team, aren't on the list (Griffin/Gal/Lopez) that being said..a point guard got the #1 spot.

Anyway, here's the list. I did top 16, because 15 and 16 were a tie, and with ties, the player whose team had a better record was ranked higher.

1. Parker (23)
2. Melo (22)
3. Harden (22)
4. Lebron (20)
5. Durant (17)
6. Kobe (15)
7. Griffin (13)
8. Gallinari (13)
9. Al Jefferson (13)
10. Pierce (13)
11. George (12)
12. Lopez (12)