PDA

View Full Version : Pacers to play Rockets in Taipei and Phillipines

Heisenberg
02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
According to @lishuangfu (https://twitter.com/lishuangfu) Lakers & Warriors will play games in China next fall, Pacers & Rockets will play in Taipei & Philippines
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) February 8, 2013 (https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/299953669502287872)
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hope the ChinaPacers guys are able to get tickets before all the Jeremy Lin fans snatch em up

Derek2k3
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
According to @lishuangfu (https://twitter.com/lishuangfu) Lakers & Warriors will play games in China next fall, Pacers & Rockets will play in Taipei & Philippines
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) February 8, 2013 (https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/299953669502287872)
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hope the ChinaPacers guys are able to get tickets before all the Jeremy Lin fans snatch em up

I hate these.

rock747
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
This is in regular season?

Eleazar
02-08-2013, 03:05 PM

I hope they aren't. If they are this is my message to the NBA:

**** you!

Since86
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Pacers can't market themselves in Ft. Wayne, yet the NBA has no problem flying them 4000 miles to play in Asia. They care more about expanding their brand globally, than they do locally.

BillS
02-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Pacers can't market themselves in Ft. Wayne, yet the NBA has no problem flying them 4000 miles to play in Asia. They care more about expanding their brand globally, than they do locally.

No, no, they are flying the Lakers and Rockets to Asia. The Pacers and Warriors are just going along so they have someone to beat.

immortality
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Pacers can't market themselves in Ft. Wayne, yet the NBA has no problem flying them 4000 miles to play in Asia. They care more about expanding their brand globally, than they do locally. A lot more money there than in the small city of Ft. Wayne. This is a business first and last.

cgg
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
If we can get some asia all star votes then we're set.

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Cham-pion-ship

cinotimz
02-08-2013, 03:32 PM

As someone who has been back and forth to Asia quite a bit I only wish it was 4000 miles....

cinotimz
02-08-2013, 03:34 PM
The Philippines is basketball crazy....

Since86
02-08-2013, 03:34 PM
A lot more money there than in the small city of Ft. Wayne. This is a business first and last.

Totally understood.

But considering we're in the middle of talking about attendance issues, I would think it would be much smarter to get your local support up before you start making your teams travel thousands of miles to a fan base that can't go to games.

cinotimz
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Totally understood.

But considering we're in the middle of talking about attendance issues, I would think it would be much smarter to get your local support up before you start making your teams travel thousands of miles to a fan base that can't go to games.

Well for those that are saying being on National TV would help, I would guess these games would be on National TV so that should count for something. In addition, this should develop some incremental income streams which should enable there to be more funds to do creative marketing and advertising that some are complaining about...its PR and exposure....it can only help in this case....

Since86
02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Not saying it won't help, I just think there's better ways of helping. Going to Asia does nothing to fix the attendance problems at home.

Walk before you run, and all that jazz.

Anthem
02-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Isn't Danny Granger super popular in the Philippines? Is that my imagination?

Nuntius
02-08-2013, 03:56 PM
The Philippines is basketball crazy....

True. The Filipinos love basketball more than anything. They are the only country outside of the US that have fully incorporated the college process and the draft in their league -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBA_Draft

They will make an excellent crowd. I just hope that it won't be considered a home game.

rel
02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
As a Filipino, I LOVE THIS :D

If Paul continues his path to stardom, by the time the plane leaves the Philippines, he'll be a fan favorite. As much as I'd hate to lose a home game (if reg season), this exposure opportunity is hard to be upset about...

Peck
02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Isn't Danny Granger super popular in the Philippines? Is that my imagination?

Indonesia

beast23
02-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Whoop-d-freaking-do. With our luck it will be the middle game of a b2b2b. /end green

Derek2k3
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM

I hope they aren't. If they are this is my message to the NBA:

**** you!

It's usually the regular season. The Knicks played in China a couple of weeks ago.

It's so stupid.

CableKC
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
I am curious as to why the NBA chose the Pacers to play the Rockets? Why not a more marketable Team like the Bulls or the Knicks?

cinotimz
02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Not saying it won't help, I just think there's better ways of helping. Going to Asia does nothing to fix the attendance problems at home.

Walk before you run, and all that jazz.

Assuming its a regular season game, it will be one more sellout they otherwise likely wouldnt have had playing the game here at BLF ;)

RWB
02-08-2013, 04:24 PM
I wonder if the California kid can even speak Chinese and I wonder if Stern is smart enough to know Lin is an American?

Heisenberg
02-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I am curious as to why the NBA chose the Pacers to play the Rockets? Why not a more marketable Team like the Bulls or the Knicks?

Because the Pacers are good and heaven forbid the NBA want to market them by things like this and putting guys in the dunk contest two straight years and in the 3 point shootout. I'm not saying you, but people need to get off this NBA hates the Pacers conspiracy.

Heisenberg
02-08-2013, 04:28 PM
I wonder if the California kid can even speak Chinese and I wonder if Stern is smart enough to know Lin is an American?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SIhRTIkGYkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cinotimz
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Because the Pacers are good and heaven forbid the NBA want to market them by things like this and putting guys in the dunk contest two straight years and in the 3 point shootout. I'm not saying you, but people need to get off this NBA hates the Pacers conspiracy.

Also, the Pacers have an unusual amount of fans in Asia going back to the Reggie Miller days as well as them being in the finals. Probably number one is the Lakers if you dont count the Yao Ming effect and now Jeremy Lin with the Rockets. Then your usual suspects Bulls, Celtics, Heat, Knicks. But the Pacers are not far from these teams in popularity. Ironic, isnt it?

Cubs231721
02-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't see the thought that they could be regular season games. It mentions they'll be in the fall and obviously involves multiple games (to play in both Taipei and the Philippines). If it was regular season, that would be the entire season series for the Pacers/Rockets. Also, the jetlag and time difference for Asia games will make it unlikely for the NBA to try regular season games there anytime soon.

This year they played preseason games in China (along with other places). They had only 1 regular season game off the continent, and that was London which is much easier to adjust back and forth to. This announcement being a continuation of those preseason games in Asia seems much more likely.

pizza guy
02-08-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm kind of excited about. I don't like that the NBA wants to go global like that, but I think it's an honor to be one of the teams chosen. They must have a reason for it.

RWB
02-08-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm kind of excited about. I don't like that the NBA wants to go global like that, but I think it's an honor to be one of the teams chosen. They must have a reason for it.

Waiting on the rumors the Pacers are moving to Taipei. :D

3rdStrike
02-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Pretty awesome. The Pacers have a lot of fans in these areas, particularly the Philippines. Reggie Miller was well liked by them. Also, expanding the brand is very important. The more of the world that gets to see Paul George, the better.