Hicks
02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Caught my eye:

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html

Derek2k3
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Caught my eye:

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html

Sekou mentioned this on Grady's show today. Said he thought PG was the guy the Pacers could count on, similar to West.

naptownmenace
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Number 10 on the list. They had a lot of really nice things to say about him too. Nice!

yoadknux
02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Awesome, though if any Pacer deserves to be on that list, I'd have to say it's West...

tadscout
02-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Just shows the MVP chants for PG isn't as crazy as Buckner thought...

Eleazar
02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I am glad for Paul, but I can't take an MVP list seriously that has two players from the same team on it.

vnzla81
02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Anybody remember what was JO's ranking? I'm just curious because I can't remember.

Speed
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Anybody remember what was JO's ranking? I'm just curious because I can't remember.

Did JO and Peja finish tied for 3rd that year in the voting, maybe?

Pacertron
02-08-2013, 02:18 PM

He was up there one year. This is strictly from memory but I think he was third.

vnzla81
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Did JO and Peja finish tied for 3rd that year in the voting, maybe?

Oh ok I thought he was 8th or something like that, maybe if Paul George keeps improving he can get up there that would be nice :)

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Oh ok I thought he was 8th or something like that, maybe if Paul George keeps improving he can get up there that would be nice :)

Stop being so positive...jeez ;)

Sookie
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Honestly, I think this is finally some recognition that the Pacers are actually a very good team. And if they are a very good team, than our All Star does deserve a mention on this type of list.

Ace E.Anderson
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Enjoyed these quotes:

"There's a reason people fell in love with this guy in the lead up to the (2010) Draft," a Western Conference executive said. "You just wondered if he'd ever shed that baby skin and really become an aggressive scorer and defender at this level. But the resources were always in place.

"This guy handles the ball as well as any shooting guard in the league but he's long and athletic and can play inside and out. And he's one of the best finishers at the rim in the entire league. He's got the total package."

TMJ31
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM

JO finished 3rd in MVP voting at one point.

TMJ31
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I find it hilarious that in that article, which is an official nba.com article, the following blurb appears:

The 6-foot-9, 221-pound George is more than just a slasher and high riser(he was robbed in the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest in Orlando last year).

Lol. First the NBA Admits they blew the Denver call, now they admit that PG should have won the Dunk Contest?!?!

http://zrdavis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/real-life1.jpg

spreedom
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
With the other dudes currently on the list, I don't see how PG is lower than 4th. I don't think he's a serious contender to win it this year (mostly because I think it's been a two-man race since the tip) but how can guys like LMA and Kobe be above him?

bunt
02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
2003 NBA MVP Voting:

1 Kevin Garnett
2 Tim Duncan
3 Jermaine O'Neal
4 Peja Stojakovic
5 Kobe Bryant
6 Shaquille O'Neal
7 Ben Wallace
8 Jason Kidd
9 LeBron James
10T Sam Cassell
10T Baron Davis
10T Dirk Nowitzki

JO was also second team All NBA

TMJ31
02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
With the other dudes currently on the list, I don't see how PG is lower than 4th. I don't think he's a serious contender to win it this year (mostly because I think it's been a two-man race since the tip) but how can guys like LMA and Kobe be above him?

Haven't you heard? Kobe plays for the Los Angeles Lakers.

imawhat
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Great recognition. I wonder where David West ranks.

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Sky's the limit.

BPump33
02-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Sky's the limit.

Not when there are footprints on the moon.

rel
02-08-2013, 03:13 PM
M V P! M V P! M V P!

If Kobe was getting MVP chants back when they were far below .500 earlier this year, I see no problem praising our young star. He actually deserves it.

yoadknux
02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Good point about LMA and Kobe. Both are much better players than George, but their respective teams will be lucky if they make the playoffs, so how valuable are these guys anyway?
Other than that, I think the list is pretty decent

Randolph_HorseLips
02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
This will come across as subjective, but I'm not so sure they're not selling him short at #10.

He's above Westbrook, IMO. Anyone that shoots 41% yet takes more shots than arguably the most talented scorer in the game is OVERRATED.

Kobe's on that list because of reputation more than anything.

I'm not sure about Aldridge and Curry. Haven't watched them much. I'd have to do some research on those two.

Paul George's influence on the defensive end cannot be understated and that's what comfortably places him in the top 10, as far as I'm concerned.

vnzla81
02-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I find it hilarious that in that article, which is an official nba.com article, the following blurb appears:

Lol. First the NBA Admits they blew the Denver call, now they admit that PG should have won the Dunk Contest?!?!

http://zrdavis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/real-life1.jpg

Tha was Amikus or whatever that guy's name is own opinion, he said the same thing on the radio show this morning.

Unclebuck
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Although if I had to vote for Pacers MVP thius far this season, I would pick West.

Of course a lot of that was banked from early in the season. Since mid December I would pick Paul george, so very possible Paul passed West by end of the season.

TMJ31
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Tha was Amikus or whatever that guy's name is own opinion, he said the same thing on the radio show this morning.

I know, but it doesn't outright SAY that anywhere on the page that I could find.

So it's just funny to me that it's on NBA.com and doesn't blatantly state "OPINION PIECE" or something.

ndcoltsnpacers
02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Sooooo does this mean it IS ok for us to chant MVP now?

TinManJoshua
02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
"This guy handles the ball as well as any shooting guard in the league but he's long and athletic and can play inside and out. And he's one of the best finishers at the rim in the entire league. He's got the total package."

No way, I've been told this guy isn't even an average ball handler at the shooting guard spot and that's why we can't play him there.

owl
02-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Sooooo does this mean it IS ok for us to chant MVP now?

It is ok but I would let that chant for the Bulls crowd. That is just me.

imawhat
02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
No way, I've been told this guy isn't even an average ball handler at the shooting guard spot and that's why we can't play him there.

I didn't see a difference between last season and the start of this season, but he's improved a ton as the season has progressed. Paul and his help deserve lots of credit for the improvement.

I think Joe Johnson is the best dribbling SG at Paul's size, but Paul is quickly gaining on him. Otherwise, best ball-handling SG in the league, by a decent margin, is Jamaal Crawford.

imawhat
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Although if I had to vote for Pacers MVP thius far this season, I would pick West.

Of course a lot of that was banked from early in the season. Since mid December I would pick Paul george, so very possible Paul passed West by end of the season.

It's amazing how underrated West's game is, but I can see how it's happened. I knew he'd be a great addition to the team, but I grossly underestimated his value.

Midcoasted
02-08-2013, 05:11 PM

That quote must come from a guy who rarely watches the Pacers because Paul George isn't even the best ball handling shooting guard on this team, Lance is. While Paul's handles have improved greatly, he has not played shooting guard at all this year. His improved handles are from the SF spot. I worry that once Granger returns Paul will be forced to play out of position at the 2 again and he will struggle guarding the smaller, quicker shooting guards that use screens and he will struggle to handle the ball against those same smaller quicker defenders.

I am not saying his improved handles are purely a result of moving him to his natural position, but it is a big part of it. But to insinuate that he handles the ball as well as any shooting guard in the league is a statement from someone who obviously barely watches the Pacers. PG can't even handle the ball as well as Lance, and I don't think any analyst is proclaiming that Lance can handle the ball as well as any shooting guard in the league, even though he probably can. Sounds like he got Lance and PG mixed up there IMO.

Paul is the future for us at small forward. As much as me an Kstat like to disagree, I wanted to thank everyone of his posts in the Granger thread the other day. You don't move your budding superstar out of position to accommodate a guy that used to be your best player but isn't as good as the guy that took his spot. Playing Granger and George together causes one of them to play out of position both on defense and offense and that is a mistake.

spreedom
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
That quote must come from a guy who rarely watches the Pacers because Paul George isn't even the best ball handling shooting guard on this team, Lance is. While Paul's handles have improved greatly, he has not played shooting guard at all this year. His improved handles are from the SF spot. I worry that once Granger returns Paul will be forced to play out of position at the 2 again and he will struggle guarding the smaller, quicker shooting guards that use screens and he will struggle to handle the ball against those same smaller quicker defenders.

I am not saying his improved handles are purely a result of moving him to his natural position, but it is a big part of it. But to insinuate that he handles the ball as well as any shooting guard in the league is a statement from someone who obviously barely watches the Pacers. PG can't even handle the ball as well as Lance, and I don't think any analyst is proclaiming that Lance can handle the ball as well as any shooting guard in the league, even though he probably can. Sounds like he got Lance and PG mixed up there IMO.

Paul is the future for us at small forward. As much as me an Kstat like to disagree, I wanted to thank everyone of his posts in the Granger thread the other day. You don't move your budding superstar out of position to accommodate a guy that used to be your best player but isn't as good as the guy that took his spot. Playing Granger and George together causes one of them to play out of position both on defense and offense and that is a mistake.

That fact should be supplemented by stating that Lance is a PG converted into a SG and Paul is a SF. If Lance's handles aren't better, he has a pretty serious problem.

mattie
02-08-2013, 05:40 PM

Except the numbers don't support anything your'e saying.

BillS
02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
That fact should be supplemented by stating that Lance is a PG converted into a SG and Paul is a SF. If Lance's handles aren't better, he has a pretty serious problem.

I'd have sworn Lance was an SG who had played some PG way back and was mooted to be converted to a PG.

PacersRule
02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Wow this is unbelievable. We have been getting so much props from national media lately, it feels so good to be a pacers fan right now!!!! Hey, I just really want to thank you guys for making this forum such a great place. It's kind of ironic because a few years ago when we sucked, I used to post really often but now when we're so good, it's hard for me to find time to post, though I still read every thread haha.