PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Green to the dunk contest and PG to the 3 point contest

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 08:03 PM
They just said this on TNT.

Ace E.Anderson
02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Lol he may as well not even play for the team these days.

But I'm sure he'll have something nasty for the contest

ilive4sports
02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Cool. Hope he wins.

PGisthefuture
02-07-2013, 08:05 PM
PG in the 3 point contest too.

docpaul
02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Cynic fan: great, at least we'll derive some value out of his 10mil contract...

Sunshiner fan: great, maybe this will be just the shot in he arm he needs to come back and join the team as an effective contributor

:)

panthro_1
02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Cool. Hope he wins.

Yeah, Maybe it can bring up his trade and upgrade value :dance:

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Green should be in the 3 point contest....

Edit: oh crap I forgot about his ankle.... Oh wait ....

TMJ31
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Sunshiner fan: great, maybe this will be just the shot in he arm he needs to come back and join the team as an effective contributor

+1

Strummer
02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Is Green eligible for the D league? Maybe some time in Fort Wayne could get his shot and his confidence back.

Lance George
02-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Great news. All-Star Saturday Night is always so much more enjoyable when you have someone to root for.

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Shaq picked the best team, Charles picked a team with not shooters :laugh:

AesopRockOn
02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm assuming James White didn't get picked to be in the dunk contest, since no one has mentioned. Those two would have been the frontrunners.

Edit: Seems like White did.

PGisthefuture
02-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Shaq picked the best team, Charles picked a team with not shooters :laugh:

I think Shaq's team wins by a landslide.

PGisthefuture
02-07-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm assuming James White didn't get picked to be in the dunk contest, since no one has mentioned. Those two would have been the frontrunners.
He actually did.

Heisenberg
02-07-2013, 08:38 PM

He did. Him, Green, Terrence Ross, Jeremy Evans, Eric Bledsoe, Kenneth Faried. That's a really strong field, should be fun.

And PG getting in the 3 point contest leads me further to believe the league really wants him to become a superstar.

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 08:39 PM
@StevePopper: The field is more than James White and Gerald Green, but here's a tease to their old dunk contest: http://t.co/IzyJIFiS

Steagles
02-07-2013, 08:46 PM
At least Paul can win this one without the fans screwing him again. Have fun in the dunk contest against the world, GG.

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 08:50 PM
There goes the myth that Barbosa and Nash didn't get along.

shags
02-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Is Green eligible for the D league? Maybe some time in Fort Wayne could get his shot and his confidence back.

Yes, but he has to consent I believe.

Heisenberg
02-07-2013, 08:56 PM
So they're doing some East v. West thing for the whole night. They'll tally up points for each side through the night and the winners get...something. Home court advantage maybe, worked so great for baseball and all.

shags
02-07-2013, 09:03 PM
So they're doing some East v. West thing for the whole night. They'll tally up points for each side through the night and the winners get...something. Home court advantage maybe, worked so great for baseball and all.

The winners get more money for charities of Dwyane Wade's and Chris Paul's choosing. So All-Star Saturday is basically a big night for charity.

PR07
02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I wonder if Green will incorporate George at all in his routine, both guys can flat out fly so could do something ridiculous.

rabid
02-07-2013, 09:22 PM
So the plot thickens on GG's absence from the team. It's not injury related if he's going to be in the dunk contest.

Anthem
02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
So the plot thickens on GG's absence from the team. It's not injury related if he's going to be in the dunk contest.
Or the injury will be fine by the end of next week.

CompACE
02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
James White is also in the dunk contest... This is shaping up to be a good lineup - assuming they don't do any stupid KIA-sponsored car jumps :)

Ransom
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
They should make the losing conference wear embarrassing uniforms for their next games or something.

TinManJoshua
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
They should make the losing conference wear embarrassing uniforms for their next games or something.

IMHO, both teams already wear embarrassing uniforms year in and year out.

tmhall11
02-07-2013, 10:17 PM
So after Shaq picks up Lillard, Chuck passed on Irving???!!!!! and then how does Kemba Walker get picked up at the very end?

Shaq's going to dominate! Aside from having Lillard, Irving, and Walker, he also has Klay Thompson and Parsons!

dal9
02-07-2013, 10:18 PM
James White is also in the dunk contest... This is shaping up to be a good lineup - assuming they don't do any stupid KIA-sponsored car jumps :)

Maybe for Dodge they can jump over a farmer.

rock747
02-07-2013, 10:22 PM
It's not going to be fan vote for the dunk contest again is it?

imawhat
02-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Don't mind if I do (dunk).

IUfan4life
02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I hope they did away with the awful fan voting for the dunk contest. Obviously the NBA wants to be interactive, but let's face it, fans are stupid.

Sandman21
02-07-2013, 10:59 PM
And thats not all!

Indiana Fever ‏@IndianaFever

Just announced: @Catchin24 will represent the Eastern Conference in the 2013 Sears Shooting Stars on Feb. 16, part of @NBA All-Star Weekend.
Expand

AesopRockOn
02-07-2013, 11:08 PM
As long as they keep the mic away from Kenny.

rock747
02-07-2013, 11:09 PM
And thats not all!

Just announced: @Catchin24 will represent the Eastern Conference in the 2013 Sears Shooting Stars on Feb. 16, part of @NBA All-Star Weekend.
Expand

Does that mean indy has a team participating?

Nuntius
02-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Edit: oh crap I forgot about his ankle.... Oh wait ....

So, are you trying to say that he didn't injure his ankle? :rolleyes:

PacersPride
02-07-2013, 11:37 PM
let me say it clearly.

Greene sucks. were stuck with him. myonly hope is that stephenson connects on an ally oop in garbage minutes.

iogyhufi
02-07-2013, 11:59 PM
And thats not all!

Expand

Reggie, Tamika and Paul?

Hicks
02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
They appear to have changed it up. One East team, one West team. No Pacers involved with Tamika. :(

Bird Fan
02-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Reggie, Tamika and Paul?

Reggie, Tamika, and George Hill?

Heisenberg
02-08-2013, 12:11 AM
They appear to have changed it up. One East team, one West team. No Pacers involved with Tamika. :(

That's flat out stupid. I've been wanting her, Reggie, and PG to do that thing ever since it became apparent PG'd be an All Star 6 weeks or whatever ago.

CableKC
02-08-2013, 12:17 AM
That's flat out stupid. I've been wanting her, Reggie, and PG to do that thing ever since it became apparent PG'd be an All Star 6 weeks or whatever ago.
Short of PG participating in the Dunk Contest.....which I think gains more attention than the 3pt contest.....it's not like the Media or Public would care about anything that is Pacers related.

I know that this is good exposure to PG and Green...but am I the only one that wished that they would just rest for the week?

3rdStrike
02-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Short of PG participating in the Dunk Contest.....which I think gains more attention than the 3pt contest.....it's not like the Media or Public would care about anything that is Pacers related.

I know that this is good exposure to PG and Green...but am I the only one that wished that they would just rest for the week?

Probably. The franchise badly needs star appeal and positive showings on a stage like this could do wonders for the brand. Make some new fans, sell some jerseys. We all know how important revenue is, especially with the attendance issues. PG is hardly going to be fatigued from shooting 3s and Green dunks in his sleep anyway, so it's really a moot point. If they were "playing" in the game it would be a slightly different story, not that much effort is given there.

It's really a great opportunity for the Pacers. The optimist in me is imagining our guys winning both events.

iogyhufi
02-08-2013, 12:51 AM

IT'S A DAVID STERN CONSPIRACY MAAAN! HE SAW PAUL GEORGE'S RISING STAR AND WAS LIKE "I HATE THE PACERS SO MUCH, BUT HOW CAN I JUSTIFY NOT HAVING A PACERS TEAM IN THE SHOOTING STARS CHALLENGE? ANSWER: EAST VS. WEST! BRILLIANT! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Stuckey7370
02-08-2013, 12:58 AM

Green has had plenty of rest the past few weeks. From the looks of it, he'll have plenty after the All Star Break as well.

diamonddave00
02-08-2013, 01:29 AM
Yeah Sam Young is really producing in his minutes since coming back. In 4 games 43 minutes 0 points 6 rebounds 10 fouls, he's really adding a lot off the bench.

I don't understand why he was even re-signed.

Stuckey7370
02-08-2013, 01:35 AM
Yeah Sam Young is really producing in his minutes since coming back. In 4 games 43 minutes 0 points 6 rebounds 10 fouls, he's really adding a lot off the bench.

I was trying to make more of a smart aleck comment than anything, but I'm more excited in Granger coming back to fill those minutes than Young.

PaulGeorge
02-08-2013, 01:37 AM
wow if gerald wins the dunk contest and paul wins the 3 point contest. That would have to surely be the first time team mates won each event.

LetsTalkPacers84
02-08-2013, 01:53 AM
wow if gerald wins the dunk contest and paul wins the 3 point contest. That would have to surely be the first time team mates won each event.

And it better get fans in the Fieldhouse too.

imbtyler
02-08-2013, 03:43 AM

Defense.

imbtyler
02-08-2013, 03:45 AM
I hope they are legit on the dunk contest. No props, no gimmicks, just straight dunkin'. You can use your teammates, the backboard, the stanchion, but no stickers, cars, lights, or ********.

Psyren
02-08-2013, 03:59 AM
Doesn't look like Shooting Stars will have an Indy team. Tamika will be on Team Lopez

Team Bosh: Chris Bosh, Dominique Wilkins and Swim Cash

Team Lopez: Brook Lopez, Muggsy Bogus, Tamika Catchings

Team Harden: James Harden, Sam Cassell, Tina Thompson

Team Westbrook: Russell Westbrook, Robert Horry, Maya Moore

dgranger17
02-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Gerald Green needs to stop sitting on the bench doing nothing. Kent Bazemore this year and Dahntay Jones last year are great examples... they don't just get paid to play with themselves on the bench. They get up and represent their set. Mr. Green has all the potential in the world to be a great clown on the bench. Every successful team nowadays needs at least one goon. We had a bench mob last year. Lance and Dahntay loved cheering our team on. We ain't got a god damn mother ****er who even thinks about being a cheerleader this year. If we had at least one of those guys this year, we'd be the 1 seed. Gerald Green owes us. We're paying him good money. I've seen him after a game winner or two... I know he can be the ideal hype man. Why isn't he? Is he pissed he isn't getting any PT? Who gives a **** big dog? You're getting paid... for multiple years. Man up and represent your squad. Do what you need to do.

I love watching the teams who have those hype men... Patty Mills in San Antone, Kent Bazey Baze in GSW, Dahntay in Indy last year, etc. We need one. We're Indiana. Remember... in 49 states it's just basketball. This is Indiana. Put me on the bench for $.10 a year and I guarantee we win an extra 3 games. I will personally win us 3 more games with touching the floor. If worse comes to worse, I'll just throw a chair.

In 30 teams, it is just a front office. In Indiana, it used to be Larry Bird.

Remember when 94% of you dogged on that guy? Yea, you do. Remember when dgranger17 sucked him off from Day One? Yea, you do. Wait... who's dgranger17? He's a pussy. I just hacked his account. Larry is better than Jordan. True story. Add up the college career, professional career, coaching career, and front office career... Larry can't be touched. Maybe William Russell touches him like a 17 year old touches a 9 year old, but that's about it.

You can't talk about Jordan's rings, because William has 11. You can't talk about Jordan's points, because he ain't #1 there either. What are we talking about when we talk about Jordan? He ruined the NBA. The officials, the pay, the hype... everything. He ruined it. If anything, he's the worst player in the league history. Speaking of hype, we need Gerald Green to act like a circus clown on our bench.

Did I mention Michael Jordan is forever linked with the number .106?

Larry Bird

PS... I love you Larry

gummy
02-08-2013, 04:38 AM
Doesn't look like Shooting Stars will have an Indy team. Tamika will be on Team Lopez

That is an incredibly stupid format. Who cares about random players thrown together? I liked that there was a logical theme to tie the athletes together, dammit!

And I second that Tamika, Reggie, PG hope.

SWIM Cash and Muggsy BOGUS? These are awesome misspellings. :laugh:

xtacy
02-08-2013, 04:56 AM
I hope they are legit on the dunk contest. No props, no gimmicks, just straight dunkin'. You can use your teammates, the backboard, the stanchion, but no stickers, cars, lights, or ********.

amen to that. but i doubt it.

the line up got me excited but not pleased with the new format.

Johanvil
02-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Get ready for a massive drop in PG's confidence if he won't win the 3-point contest.

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Tamika got stuck on the shittiest team.

cgg
02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Tamika got stuck on the shittiest team.

The Shooting Stars is the only thing she has left to win, so she will win it.

SycamoreKen
02-08-2013, 03:20 PM

This format seems to fit the player over team theme many hate about the nba. Why do I care who wins? At least when teams were represented it was easier to choose who to root for or against.

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
This format seems to fit the player over team theme many hate about the nba. Why do I care who wins? At least when teams were represented it was easier to choose who to root for or against.

And 3 of those 4 players are totally bland or in Westbrook's case viewed as somewhat of a me-first guy by the populace at large.

Anywho, I'm still be rooting against Bosh. Because he is a tool.

SycamoreKen
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
The obvious reason for the change is lack of wnba teams in Miami and okc. Got to be able to include the leagues poster child cities some how.

Sookie
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
That's a shame, I kind of liked the team element to it.

Although, I always thought it was sort of a boring challenge. If they really wanted to include the WNBA players, they could have put them in the Skills challenge and/or three point contest.

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
That's a shame, I kind of liked the team element to it.

Although, I always thought it was sort of a boring challenge. If they really wanted to include the WNBA players, they could have put them in the Skills challenge and/or three point contest.

And have them potentially beat the Golden Gods that are NBA players? Absolutely not.

vnzla81
02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Why is Brook Lopez on anything? man......

Phree Refill
02-08-2013, 05:09 PM

A little bit different situations but when Fred Jones won it in '04, he came back from the allstar break a different man. Played with much more cofidence and became a valuable contributor off the bench on one of the best Pacer teams in franchise history.

Sookie
02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
And have them potentially beat the Golden Gods that are NBA players? Absolutely not.

You know, I think it would bother NBA players and Stern far less than certain members of the media..

mattie
02-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Does Paul George have a legit chance to win this?? I just saw who he has to compete with. Steph Curry.

That sucks. Damnit.

Goyle
02-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Gerald Green needs to stop sitting on the bench doing nothing. Kent Bazemore this year and Dahntay Jones last year are great examples... they don't just get paid to play with themselves on the bench. They get up and represent their set. Mr. Green has all the potential in the world to be a great clown on the bench. Every successful team nowadays needs at least one goon. We had a bench mob last year. Lance and Dahntay loved cheering our team on. We ain't got a god damn mother ****er who even thinks about being a cheerleader this year. If we had at least one of those guys this year, we'd be the 1 seed. Gerald Green owes us. We're paying him good money. I've seen him after a game winner or two... I know he can be the ideal hype man. Why isn't he? Is he pissed he isn't getting any PT? Who gives a **** big dog? You're getting paid... for multiple years. Man up and represent your squad. Do what you need to do.

I love watching the teams who have those hype men... Patty Mills in San Antone, Kent Bazey Baze in GSW, Dahntay in Indy last year, etc. We need one. We're Indiana. Remember... in 49 states it's just basketball. This is Indiana. Put me on the bench for $.10 a year and I guarantee we win an extra 3 games. I will personally win us 3 more games with touching the floor. If worse comes to worse, I'll just throw a chair.

Remember when 94% of you dogged on that guy? Yea, you do. Remember when dgranger17 sucked him off from Day One? Yea, you do. Wait... who's dgranger17? He's a pussy. I just hacked his account. Larry is better than Jordan. True story. Add up the college career, professional career, coaching career, and front office career... Larry can't be touched. Maybe William Russell touches him like a 17 year old touches a 9 year old, but that's about it.

You can't talk about Jordan's rings, because William has 11. You can't talk about Jordan's points, because he ain't #1 there either. What are we talking about when we talk about Jordan? He ruined the NBA. The officials, the pay, the hype... everything. He ruined it. If anything, he's the worst player in the league history. Speaking of hype, we need Gerald Green to act like a circus clown on our bench.

Larry Bird

PS... I love you Larry

Great post. I've noticed our serious lack of bench showmanship as well. I'd send DJ and a first to Golden State for Bazemore, he's flat out one of the best I've ever seen.

xtacy
02-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Why is Brook Lopez on anything? man......

exactly my reaction.

3rdStrike
02-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Larry Bird

PS... I love you Larry

WTH is this? I don't know if it's booze, drugs or sarcasm. We've got an expensive cheerleader in Pendergraph. Hansbrough doesn't even high five when he wasn't personally involved in a play and we're talking about Gerald Green not being a "clown" or a "goon?" .... Like, for real?

Kid Minneapolis
02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
My thoughts on:

- 3pt contest and PG. I love that he's in it, but I don't think he's a front-runner to win it. However, you never know. I never would've expected Kevin Love to win one of these things, either.

- Dunk contest. I'm not a fan of James White. He does two things --- dunks between his legs, and sprints from the other side of the court and does a free-throw dunk, or he combines the two. And its' not a pretty thing, like Jordan. Jordan could dunk from the free throw line at half a trot and it was the most graceful, beautiful movement you ever saw... JW is a blur. White has to achieve top speed so the dunk technically is a free throw dunk, but it's because he's flying through the air at about 70 mph... the dunk literally occurs in about .2 seconds. I actually prefer GG's dunking style for the contest.. he gets a lot more ups involved, and power dunks. He reminds me more of 'Nique than anyone in recent memory, which his straight vertical and windmills and power slams. I really hope he's able to beat James White, but JW has the hype factor goin' in.

I can almost guarantee almost all of JW's dunks will be all-out-sprint free-throw type dunks, and eventually a free-throw dunk between the legs. It's impressive.... but he's been doin' those same dunks for years, and like I said, the ramp-up speed he achieves almost makes it feel like... I dunno... cheating isn't the word.... but it's sort of taking a short cut. To say JW is on the same level athletically as Jordan is a crime.... It would be like comparing a free-throw dunk between Jordan and Jeff Foster --- yes, both could dunk from the free throw line, but Jordan did it much better. Same with James White... it's not as pretty as Jordan.

Speakin of dunk contests... the more I go back and watch the successful dunks of PG last year, the more appreciation I have for them, especially the Tron dunk. That was honestly a very awesome visual achievement. I honestly feel like he should've won that thing... I feel like what hurt him were the failed attempts.

Kid Minneapolis
02-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Here's an overseas dunk contest between the two... I felt Gerald out-dunked him for most of the dunks and then JW started in with his full-court-sprint free throw dunks and won the contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzc0Nj3xIrI&feature=player_embedded

I honestly felt Gerald should've won it. Feel like White is the farther dunker, and GG is the higher dunker. JW is 30 though, so those legs may not be as spry as in the olden days?