PDA

View Full Version : How much better has the Pacers passing been lately?

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
In the past 5 games, the P's have gone from 29th in the NBA in assists per game to 25th. That's a pretty big jump in such a small amount of time.

Hicks
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Anyone know what the team's Off Eff is over the last 5, 10 games?

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Even last night on a relatively rough offensive night the P's tallied up 20 assists. They were averaging about 18 per game before this stretch. More ball handling for Paul and Lance has been a big reason for the boost.

count55
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Anyone know what the team's Off Eff is over the last 5, 10 games?

Last 5 - 111.7
Last 10 - 107.9

Ace E.Anderson
02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
We've stopped making George Hill be so ball dominant, while putting the ball in the hands of Paul, Lance and West more.

Hicks
02-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Last 5 - 111.7
Last 10 - 107.9

Is there a good place to pull that quickly, or did you do the math yourself?

Hicks
02-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Last 5 - 111.7
Last 10 - 107.9

By the way, to put those #'s in perspective, if those were our SEASON Off Eff numbers:

111.7 would be #1 in the league.

107.9 would be 4th in the league.

In actuality, our season Off Eff is currently 100.0, 22nd in the league. Which means we've already jumped up about 7 spots or so from where we used to routinely sit in the first half of the year.

TinManJoshua
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
While we're sharing the distributing responsibilities more, I want to point out that Hill has looked better passing the ball these last few games as well.

Naptown_Seth
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Yeah, let's not act like Hill was holding back the assists or something when he was part of that alley-oop reverse dunk by PG that was the #1 play the other day.

What we've seen lately is some really strong interaction across all 5 main guys. PG has made passes like the between the legs, Lance has thrown some nasty no looks and West/Roy continue to feed back to the wings/guards well. For both the Chicago and Atlanta games the box score was really balanced both in scoring and assists. Certainly BAMF and PG24 had individually higher points but in general it was 15 pt/5 ast down the box roughly.

You could brush off an increase in assists due to higher pace play, but then you look at Off Eff and see that something has changed. And to be fair, even without Noah the Bulls are a well-coached team on the defensive end. Atlanta less so but they do have 2 very athletic bigs. And Collins makes the Sixers a defense-first team as well.

To me a few things jump out the last few weeks. First West and Lance were both in slumps and then came sprinting out of them. We were talking about how David's slump hurt his shot at the ASG even. So much for that. And I had Tweeted Wells about Lance sneaking into his own slump while everyone was worried about Green, but obviously Lance put that to rest as well.

Paul also seems bolstered by his AS selection, almost as though the official recognition has given him confidence to go to another level. And honestly I think it looks like Lance is feeding off of Paul's play a little and his also attacking with more confidence.

Roy has slowly been chipping in low volume but higher FG% scoring. He doesn't look quite "fixed", but he's been in a run where he's getting 1-2 intentional post-up hook shot scores to go with the various at-the-rim scraps. It appears as though they redesigned the offense to feature him less and/or he put his mind to being more of a scraps guy for now and took the pressure off himself to be "the man". He's not exactly back to normal on offense, but even a reduction in liability goes a long way.

George Hill had been sick, that was obvious as well. Even as he played through it he didn't seem normal for several games past the worst of it. Lately he's looked back up to speed.

Sam Young returned which is minor for the offense and only a few games, but it's one more healthy, contributing body and he's especially a glue type of player that tends to make others better more than the box shows.

What this all adds up to is the team having all the parts kinda functioning at their normal or above normal levels at the same time, possibly paired with some coaching adjustments as well. They are showing confidence and energy that might stem from feeling that sense of unison where they are all clicking at the same time. Just like we see an individual have his own click moment (PG post GSW for example), it feels like the team is benefiting from an interaction click of their own. Best example of all of this is watching BAMF catch 2 different borderline "surprise" no look passes from Lance last week (MIA I think), passes that David was clearly expecting when you rewind and watch. Maybe these were by design, but even that suggests a strategy of interaction that is in place and that the players are getting.

To me this is why you keep teams together, why you resign guys like West. You simply can not buy COHESION.

cgg
02-07-2013, 10:23 PM
I'd bet its related to the starters being mixed with the bench more. The starters off rating has always been pretty good.

count55
02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Is there a good place to pull that quickly, or did you do the math yourself?

I pulled those from the NBA Media Site. It has a team dashboard that has a quick page for Last N Games.

I don't know if the NBA public site has something like that, or any interactive info. I know they have made some pretty slick info available, but it came out the same time I got access to the media site, so I never used it much.