PDA

View Full Version : Record over the year, revision oportunity:

able
12-17-2004, 07:09 AM
We all had a stab at predicting the team's record over this year, of course circumstances have made all those predictions absolutely worthless.

Now the discussion starts going on whether we will even make the playoffs or not it might be the right time to do a revision of those predictions;
What do you think our record will be at the end of the regular season and as an added bonus, to make sure in case of equal ending only one or two get bragging rights; what seed will we have in the playoffs if we get there?

Peck
12-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Oh, we'll make the playoffs. I'm not certain of the seeding but we will whip this thing into shape.

I'm going to be optomistic :o & say we will win 48 games & we will make a deep deep playoff run.

able
12-17-2004, 07:30 AM
Well, this is betting, so I might as well go out on a real limb :)

We will end up with 53 - 29 having the first place in the division, 2nd seed.

I see JO on a mission, nay care for Jax that much, and still calculate some games with Ron, though I think this is a result we can get without him.

The depth of the playoff run will be a pleasant surprise....

Now who can get me decent tickets for the NBA finals in CFH................

Peck
12-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Um, Able I need an english to english translation.

You said "nay care for Jax that much" does that mean you don't care for Jackson or am I just not able (sorry no pun intended) to follow you here?

If you don't care for Jax, what is it about him you don't like & would you rather have Al back?

Thanks in advance.

able
12-17-2004, 07:57 AM
You read that correct :D

What I have seen so far has not impressed me, though it is an improvement over Al and then mainly in the attitude part, I found him to be a streaky shooter at best, which is not something I was looking for.
His work-attitude is appreciated, but his actions in the brawl have also not impressed me, if anything they have put me off of him as I personally think he was more then any responsible for the attitude with which the matter was handled.

I also do not see that much of an improvement in the team when he returns as opposed to when JO returns, Fred and JJ are taking real good care of things and I personally am charmed by the shots Tins gets, Mel Mel is simply amazing on all accounts and though I agree that it is not good if he is 1st option, I do consider the "shooting" department not that depleted in his (Jax) absence.
Up front we do not need that much help if Polly comes back, with Jeff, Harry & Polly, JO & Cro our frontline is not as depleted as we thought, mainly thanks to revelations in the play of Polly and Harry the Hulk.
JJ has shown that he can shoot the lights out when called upon, finding his place is more important now, same goes for Freddie ("Curry told me to ....") once he finds out who he is and what he can do he will most likely form more of a problem for opponents then Jax will. JJ did VERY well when called upon and had amazing Rb numbers, which if he gets some time with JO on the floor will likely only improve.

Therefore I see Jax as no more then a roleplayer who's importance upon return is far less then JO's (or Ron's for that matter).

I based my "prediction" upon the return of JO in a mood that will surpass the wondring minds of most in this world, JO is known to make statements and work on his game to improve, I am sure he is working out with a vengeance to show everybody what he's really all about.
It gives me this "KG; hold on to your hat" feeling :D

And NO I do NOT want AL BACK!

I was a Al supporter untill he went down and the year he came back, I gave him leeway the year after for "wanting to carve out a spot", but his "demands" have made it hard on the team.
Reading he went out to diner, with some but most notably not JO, who we all thought was his best friend says something about the locker room atmosphere he brought.
Just not sure yet if Jax (with his temper and "intensity") is such a good addition.

But most of all shooters who have to take a lot of shots to score are not winning my heart as opposed to guys like the Jones' who are simply shooting high percentages to get the same numbers given the same place in the "go to" list.

sixthman
12-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Stephen Jackson adds much to the Pacers. He plays two positions well and is a strong rebounder, especially at the shooting guard position; He is a proven money player and another threat in clutch time; he can create his own shot and is able to find the open man as he drives to the bucket; and, best of all, he can defend lanky "2" 's such as Rip Hamilton.

James Jones has proven he can hit the open shot, but the rest of his game is still emerging. I like the kid, but right now Stephen Jackson is much more the valuable player.

Ragnar
12-17-2004, 08:17 AM
The thing about Jack is that he has proven that if you need a big bucket in the NBA finals (the one Travis :shudder: wasted shooting over Shaq) Jack will hit it.

Hicks
12-17-2004, 09:31 AM
I agree with sixthman and Ragnar re: Jackson.

able
12-17-2004, 09:43 AM
yeah but where is your new prediction?

ChicagoJ
12-17-2004, 09:56 AM
I think we'll finish 47-35; fourth seed.

Hicks
12-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Ah yes, sorry.

I think I'm being too optimistic, but what the hell:

50-32 record, 4th/5th seed. 5th if the Cavs win more than 50, 4th if they don't.

DisplacedKnick
12-17-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm predicting 45-37 and the 6th seed. I think Cleve (despite getting *****-slapped last night ) and Orlando are for real and will get the 4th and 5th spots.

Unfortunately, that means you'll eliminate the Knicks in the 1st rd.

Mourning
12-17-2004, 10:25 AM
I'm going with 46-36 and 5th or 6th seed depending on how well Orlando will keep up in the 2nd half of the season.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Los Angeles
12-17-2004, 11:59 AM
This is a betting game, so I'm going to use the "price is right" $1 method.

42-40

7th Seed.

Ultimately it depends on how well the team gels in February/March. Other contenders will be fine tuning, and we'll be way behind the curve, trying to play catch-up. That's a bad situation.

I'm not saying this WILL happen, I'm just picking the horse that doesn't have money on it yet.

waxman
12-17-2004, 01:07 PM
49-33

I thought Jax started out a little inconsistant...but seemed to be finding a nice groove around brawl time.... I like that he doesn't camp out behind the arc.... he has a nice midrange and post game...and can get his shot off over pretty much any SG/SF in the league.... Overall he has refined and polished game.

3Ball
12-17-2004, 01:17 PM
40-42 8th seed coming down to the wire. We win the last 3 to just barely squeek in. Then we cream the 1st seed in 4 games.

Dab
12-17-2004, 01:40 PM
I'll stand by my original prediction (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=101448#post101448).

canyoufeelit
12-17-2004, 01:47 PM
We're 11-10 now, JO returns in about a month, soft schedule until then... 45-50 wins is still very possible as long as we stay afloat now