PDA

View Full Version : Do Dakich and MJB have an issue with each other?

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Dakich just went after Mark pretty hard on the radio. Called him whacked out and called him out for his stance on Sam Steele (now Sam Ponder) marrying Christian Ponder of the Vikings. MJB called out Dakich last night for his views on Lance. Is there some history here that I don't know about?

BPump33
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
I heard that, too. It was beyond the usual level of snark.

vnzla81
02-06-2013, 01:42 PM
DD is mad at him for not wanting to be on his show I think.

Unclebuck
02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Mark sort of helped Dakich get his start in radio and Mark used to be on Dak's show about once a week.

able
02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Knowing the class act that Mark Boyle is, I am not that interested in DD's smack

FlavaDave
02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I listened to Dan's show for the first and last time today. Name calling, hyperbole, factually incorrect statements... Not my thing.I don't get the point of listening to things like that. If Mark is refusing to be on that show, it seems like he's making a wise choice.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I heard that, too. It was beyond the usual level of snark.

Yeah there definitely appears to be something there. A little weird.

Mackey_Rose
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I can see Dakich having an issue with Boyle potentially stealing him of his would-be title of "world's biggest ego," and vice versa.

Since86
02-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I listened to the first 30mins of the show, and there was more. Dan said he doesn't refer to Lance as "employee #1 or something stupid like that" which was a clear dig at MJB, from where I'm sitting because that's how he refers to Pacers players routinely.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
I listened to the first 30mins of the show, and there was more. Dan said he doesn't refer to Lance as "employee #1 or something stupid like that" which was a clear dig at MJB, from where I'm sitting because that's how he refers to Pacers players routinely.

Yeah he did that again. Said it was "cute"

Cousy47
I listen to DD once in awhile, seems to me he has not love of the NBA at all.

RWB
Knowing the class act that Mark Boyle is, I am not that interested in DD's smack

Eh... I believe Mark has provided some cutting remarks over the years too. Never noted to be hateful but not an innocent babe either.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I listen to DD once in awhile, seems to me he has not love of the NBA at all.

Disagree, Dakich likes the NBA, was all about the PAcers when they got up 2-1 on the Heat last year, and I would say he routinely pumps them on his show.

BPump33
02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
It's what Dakich led off the show with today, so it definitely must have been bothering him.

Ransom
02-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Wait...Mark Boyle commenting on Sam Steele?

But yeah, between the two of them I know who I respect more (the answer is Make Boyle).

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Wait...Mark Boyle commenting on Sam Steele?

But yeah, between the two of them I know who I respect more (the answer is Make Boyle).

When it came out that she was dating Ponder, Boyle nailed her on it on twitter pretty hard, called it completely unprofessional and then there was a bit of a suggestion by MJB that most sideline reporters don't actually have any journalistic credential that gets them their job. This was a few months ago.

Ransom
02-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Ah, okay. Well to be honest that's a bit disappointing, though I'm not in the profession nor do I really know the situation. Of course saying sideline reporters are under qualified isn't exactly a unique opinion.

Since86
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I figured the most controversial statement would have been Dan saying there was only one pro prospect on the floor during the IU-UM game, and that being Zeller.

Someone called in and pointed out Burke, and he goes "If that's the type of PG's you like" I can only stomach about 30-40 minutes before his ego starts oozing out of my phone and makes a mess all over my desk.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
OK so apparently MJB was upset he stopped getting paid to come on the show? That is what Dakich just said on the radio. Weird. Feel like two personalities clashing for no reason. Dakich is full of a lot of hot air though, don't know if I could do his show weekly either LOL

PaceBalls
02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Dakich has always been an A-1 *******. It's kinda funny sometimes... but then most of the time he is just an *******.

02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Dakich is second rate.

BRushWithDeath
02-06-2013, 02:43 PM
It's hilarious to me that people can roast Dakich for being an egomaniacal prick while simultaneously effusing praise on Boyle.

diamonddave00
02-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I just take it as 2 huge egos clashing. When egos are that large doesn't take much to alienate the other, and appears grudges are held.

Personally I still like them both. Boyle's ego was such when he hosted a "talk show" he said the fewer callers the better. Mark is a very good play by play guy but his self value as a host turned me off.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I love Boyle and Dak's attitudes. They both crack me up.

Unclebuck
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
I think Dan's show is by far my favorite local sports talk show. In fact I rarely listen to the others unless I know they are talking about the Pacers/NBA

Will Galen
02-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Dakich just went after Mark pretty hard on the radio. Called him whacked out and called him out for his stance on Sam Steele (now Sam Ponder) marrying Christian Ponder of the Vikings. MJB called out Dakich last night for his views on Lance. Is there some history here that I don't know about?

At first I thought you were talking about a gay couple, Sam being a boys name. I really didn't know who either person was. I googled Sam Steele, nice looking girl by the way, but a lot of do about nothing. Personally I like Mark, but I think life comes before sports.

I think both Dan and Mark are being unprofessional taking their jabs at each other on the air.

Mr_Smith
02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
He kept saying Boyle, and I thought to myself, is he talking about Mark Boyle?? I can't stand Dakich and I'm very surprised he still has a show, I wish he would just go away. Rudest person I've ever heard in sports talk radio. Snarky is an understatement.

QuickRelease
02-06-2013, 04:32 PM
A steady diet of Dakich is pretty hard to take, but I do find it more than a bit hilarious when he blows up bad callers. That being said, I like Boyle better. And seeing as how MJBoyle has dipped his toes in the PD water, Mr Dakich can exit out the back door any time.

rock747
02-06-2013, 04:43 PM
He kept saying Boyle, and I thought to myself, is he talking about Mark Boyle?? I can't stand Dakich and I'm very surprised he still has a show, I wish he would just go away. Rudest person I've ever heard in sports talk radio. Snarky is an understatement.

Why does Dakich even take callers? He's completely rude to all of them.

ECKrueger
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Easy, people. Difference of opinion is not hatred. RT @WCBrock24: Hey @JMV1070 What is the hatred between @Mark_J_Boyle and @dandakich About

docpaul
02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
I think in order to be a radio/sports personality, there's some level of egotism that is fundamental to success. That said, given that MJB and DD are both successful (;)), it's inevitable that they will clash.

One could even argue it adds fuel to the listening fire.

Let's move onto more interesting topics. :)

idioteque
02-06-2013, 05:17 PM
I think we can agree that neither of these guys are Rhodes Scholars, but Dakich is especially a moron and a jerk. Boyle puts his foot in his mouth sometimes too but at least he is capable of offering intelligent NBA analysis.

Sookie
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Easy, people. Difference of opinion is not hatred. RT @WCBrock24: Hey @JMV1070 What is the hatred between @Mark_J_Boyle and @dandakich About

Not sure if they have had a clash. But I remember them being friendly. (To the point where they had obviously had conversations off of the radio show because DD had taken MB's advice and watched family guy...)

Shade
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Not a big fan of Dakich. An awfully big ego for such a sub-par coach.

Derek2k3
02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Not a big fan of Dakich. An awfully big ego for such a sub-par coach.

I have a bigger issue with how awful he is at his job. But yeah, his self talk is annoying.

Naptown_Seth
02-06-2013, 05:51 PM
So once again UncleBuck goes "JOB fan" on us and talks up the DD show as the best. Not even "I enjoy it", but "the best".

Give me Michael Grady and Big Joe any day. I prefer my sports talk to be a little bit more in touch with the current world and a lot more reasonable. To me Grady and Kevin Lee are the best blends of voice, delivery, reasonable opinions and knowledge.

We all got a kick out of him just over the top bashing Miami as soft last year because we all hate Miami and loved to hear anything ripping on the Heat. But then DD goes and sits courtside with a freaking snow cone a day after calling Miami soft (or same day, I forget).

The funny thing is that about the only time I ever tolerated the DD show was explicitly when MJB was on with him. So if the station decided to skip payments for not being worth the return, I think they missed the mark on that choice.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 06:00 PM
So once again UncleBuck goes "JOB fan" on us and talks up the DD show as the best. Not even "I enjoy it", but "the best".

Give me Michael Grady and Big Joe any day. I prefer my sports talk to be a little bit more in touch with the current world and a lot more reasonable. To me Grady and Kevin Lee are the best blends of voice, delivery, reasonable opinions and knowledge.

We all got a kick out of him just over the top bashing Miami as soft last year because we all hate Miami and loved to hear anything ripping on the Heat. But then DD goes and sits courtside with a freaking snow cone a day after calling Miami soft (or same day, I forget).

The funny thing is that about the only time I ever tolerated the DD show was explicitly when MJB was on with him. So if the station decided to skip payments for not being worth the return, I think they missed the mark on that choice.

He did make fun of himself over the sno cone as well.

vnzla81
02-06-2013, 06:02 PM
He did make fun of himself over the sno cone as well.

Snow cone with something else in it.

vnzla81
02-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Big Joe and Grady are ok but not the best, they play the homer card a bit to much for my liking, maybe that is why you like them so much :)

BlueNGold
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Dakich could disappear from TV and radio and that would be an improvement. I can't get enough of Mark Boyle.

Diamond Dave
02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Meh, sports talk radio is always a step behind these days. Any topic regarding the NBA and the Pacers any of the shows on 1070 bring up are old news on PD by the time they're talking about it. Don't care for Dakich, he's ok, but he clearly is just trying to a personality/character. No different than what Howard Stern did in the 80's, just a different theme. I'll give some props to Grady and Big Joe, as their show is the only one that when I flip on is almost always talking sports. DD is often talking about his high school days and JMV is talking about music, movies, or beer. But at the end of the day its all just filler in the car unless Wells, Woj, or Brunner is on.

Pacer Fan
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I will change the channel to not watch or listen to Mark.
DD has a lot of BS, but he is fun to listen to while I'm at work. DD is more to the point and is a lot less political, however, he does protect his interest.
As far as the deal today, I didn't read to much into it. I really don't care what Mark has to say, so it was a moot point to me.

Pacer Fan
02-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Dakich could disappear from TV and radio and that would be an improvement. I can't get enough of Mark Boyle.

Just wondering what you like about Mark? Give me one thing other then his political views of the Pacers? I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just really want to know since we are on the subject. Thx!

Mr.Hinds
02-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Ok, angry community of Pacer fans, calm yourself. Dan Dakich is a bit of an egomaniac (a little understatement on my part) but he knows college basketball very well and gives you perspective that you wouldn't have unless you've been through the process as a coach or player. And, no, he doesn't do NBA really well until the playoffs, which is a lot of NBA fans in general.

Now he isn't easy to take in long periods, but just like with most everybody you have to take them with a grain of salt. He can be highly annoying but he has never been, nor will he ever be an espn news force feeding talking puppet. He'll tell it like it is to whomever he's talking to. Now if you don't like what he does beyond that it's just how it is. Maybe he's rude to his callers but if you want to call in you certainly can. Which is more than you can say about other radio hosts.

That being said I am entertained by Dan Patrick, Grady & Joe and Querry and Shultz more.

Sandman21
02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
The only listeners I've heard Dakich be really rude to are the stupid ones. Don't tell me they don't deserve it.

Pacer Fan
02-06-2013, 06:51 PM
The only listeners I've heard Dakich be really rude to are the stupid ones. Don't tell me they don't deserve it.
LOL

Heisenberg
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM

it's not like they don't screen the callers, they can make the debate as intelligent as they want. radio's such a weird industry, people are encouraged to be rude to customers because it's good for business. any other industry you do that you're in the unemployment line.

Sandman21
02-06-2013, 07:41 PM
it's not like they don't screen the callers, they can make the debate as intelligent as they want. radio's such a weird industry, people are encouraged to be rude to customers because it's good for business. any other industry you do that you're in the unemployment line.

You'd be surprised. An idiot can work his way on air fairly easily, otherwise we wouldn't have those stupid Baba Booey prank calls every so often.

Ransom
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Dakich seems like the Hoosier version of Colin Coweherd.

But if a guy wants to have a sno cone let him have a freaking sno cone.:cool:

OlBlu
02-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Dakich seems like the Hoosier version of Colin Coweherd.

But if a guy wants to have a sno cone let him have a freaking sno cone.:cool:

Hey!! :cool: ...

graphic-er
02-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I think we can agree that neither of these guys are Rhodes Scholars, but Dakich is especially a moron and a jerk. Boyle puts his foot in his mouth sometimes too but at least he is capable of offering intelligent NBA analysis.

I can't stand when they ask Mark Boyle about the Pacers. He doesn't even offer a real opinion. I remember a segment where JMV got straight up testy with him and exclaiming "well why they hell do we even have you on here ever week!?" when he asked his opinion about various Pacer topics and Boyle would dodge the questions with a snarky remarks like "Well i'm not the owner so what I would do isn't important"

Additionally, I'm not sure if you all have noticed but when they have Conrad Brunner on, he acts a bit jaded about this Pacer team and the organization. He never has anything to nice to say about certain players. I'm thinking somebody is a bit butt hurt about his contract not being renewed.

Day-V
02-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Give me Michael Grady and Big Joe any day.
In my humble opinion, it's the Greatest Show in the History of Radio. ;)

Additionally, I'm not sure if you all have noticed but when they have Conrad Brunner on, he acts a bit jaded about this Pacer team and the organization. He never has anything to nice to say about certain players. I'm thinking somebody is a bit butt hurt about his contract not being renewed.

I'll have to disagree with you on that.

Bball
02-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Hey!! :cool: ...

It's OK... You can have a sno cone too! :cool:

Dr. Hibbert
02-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Dakich's show is 50% not answering questions while insulting the people dumb enough to call into his show, and 50% talking about sandwiches.

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Dakich's show is 50% not answering questions while insulting the people dumb enough to call into his show, and 50% talking about sandwiches.

Sounds like the every man's radio show if there ever was one

Dr. Hibbert
02-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Sounds like the every man's radio show if there ever was one

Half the reason podcasts > sports radio. No one talks about sports on radio. It's just a lot of guys trying to convince the world they're half as clever as they sound in their head, for the most part. Or maybe it's just Indy radio. I can stomach Query & Schultz, that's about it.

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 12:06 AM
But, but....sandwiches!

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 08:03 PM
@Mark_J_Boyle: To the curious: I have no issue/beef with @dandakich. Wondered if he had changed stance on Employee #1, question unanswered. That's it.

@Mark_J_Boyle: Sorry. I will take him on in chess, though. @Indyvnzla81
@Mark_J_Boyle @dandakich so no cage fighting? :(

Rogco
02-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Ok, angry community of Pacer fans, calm yourself. Dan Dakich is a bit of an egomaniac (a little understatement on my part) but he knows college basketball very well and gives you perspective that you wouldn't have unless you've been through the process as a coach or player. And, no, he doesn't do NBA really well until the playoffs, which is a lot of NBA fans in general.

True. I'm torn on Dan. I used to love his show, but it's gone to pure crap over the last year. Oddly enough, the combination of his rise on ESPN and getting divorced seems to have destroyed his show. I enjoy it when he has a good guest on, but frequently he ends up just talking about how awesome he thinks he is, how great the region is, why women are smarter than men, and, of course, sandwiches. I really like Grady and Big Joe, but wish they'd dump Dakich and put on Cowherd, who I at least can stand.

But I do like him when he's doing basketball on TV. Probably because he knows basketball, and on TV he has to stay on topic, instead of rambling about all the other crap that he seems to think he knows.

As for Mark, everytime I hear him on the radio I think I'd enjoy having a drink with the guy. He's definitely got some snarkyness to him. Also enjoy his Pacers commentary.

special ed
02-08-2013, 06:40 AM
How could we get through a whole thread on dissing DD without mentioning his sarcastic love for Southern Indiana guy? "Oh, Bawby would never do it that way! Aw, bring back Bawby...miss those days!" We will probably get a heavy dose of that today after IU's loss last night.
Cracks me up whenever he goes into his ol' southern boy accent because he's dead on!
Love Boyle too. And those homers called Grady and Joe? There's a reason they are against DP in that time slot...some sort of surrender on 1070's end.

Coupe
02-08-2013, 07:05 AM
So many double D haters, he must have hung up on you.

Rogco
02-08-2013, 07:59 AM
So many double D haters, he must have hung up on you.

Nah, the show's just boring. I liked it when he talked about sports. But now that's about 20% of the time. I don't like Dan as a person, so I don't want to listen to him talk about himself for 2 hours. It's boring and he definitely sucks up and homers to a specific type of crowd. I think he comes across as almost insecure.

Unclebuck
02-08-2013, 08:58 AM

I find him entertaining. (I must admit I only ever listen to the first hour of his show, so maybe he gets more off topic as his proceeds into the second and third hour) and I respect his opinion on basketball. Also surprised that he is very pro-NBA especially in the playoffs, he loves the playoffs. He makes fun of those college only fans during the NBA playoffs.

I enjoy when he is rude to callers because I agree with him that most callers are idiots.

woowoo
02-08-2013, 09:01 AM
DD is mad at him for not wanting to be on his show I think.

That's it.. DD is petty little boy when it comes to some things. Boyle doesn't want to do Dan's show for whatever reason and DD just can't deal with it. The fact Boyle does go on with JMV real makes Danny angry.

It's like when someone sends Dan an Email or tweet he doesn't like he totally rips the individual and then gives there Email address over the air. He is the only radio host I ever hear doing such childish things.

Dude is big baby.

woowoo
02-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Why does Dakich even take callers? He's completely rude to all of them.

DD needs to get laid really bad....

Mr_Smith
02-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Why doesn't he just work at Ohio State since he has a man crush love fest for Urban Meyer.

BlueNGold
02-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Just wondering what you like about Mark? Give me one thing other then his political views of the Pacers? I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just really want to know since we are on the subject. Thx!

Mark is an intelligent, knowledgeable and thoughtful broadcaster...and a Pacer treasure IMO.

Dakich is a loud, rude, IU Hoosier...and I don't like his Stoops commercial. He's too loud on that too.

Pacer Fan
02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Mark is an intelligent, knowledgeable and thoughtful broadcaster...and a Pacer treasure IMO.

Dakich is a loud, rude, IU Hoosier...and I don't like his Stoops commercial. He's too loud on that too.

Fair enough...:)

LetsTalkPacers84
04-25-2013, 04:26 PM
I think Dan's show is by far my favorite local sports talk show. In fact I rarely listen to the others unless I know they are talking about the Pacers/NBA

Im still trying to find one I like, at all.

jackinbox
04-25-2013, 06:06 PM
I like DD and Mark Boyle. Both have strong opinions and aren't afraid to express them. While I enjoy Grady & Big Joe, it's clear that they are often afraid to state their true thoughts at the risk of offending someone. I want to hear opinions and analysis, regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

Sports talk in this town has never been better, IMHO. Especially since Mark Patrick was given the axe. He was as big of a homer as you could find.

LetsTalkPacers84
04-25-2013, 06:12 PM
I like DD and Mark Boyle. Both have strong opinions and aren't afraid to express them. While I enjoy Grady & Big Joe, it's clear that they are often afraid to state their true thoughts at the risk of offending someone. I want to hear opinions and analysis, regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

Sports talk in this town has never been better, IMHO. Especially since Mark Patrick was given the axe. He was as big of a homer as you could find.
I tend to agree, but too often its a bunch of idiots doing sports talk radio. I want someone who watches every Pacer game, and does his due diligence before spouting off about things he does not know. Hell I feel like JMV is a part timer in terms of Pacer knowledge. It would be great to get someone who has followed the team for a long time, and isn't afriad to take off the homer glasses. Many here fit the bill. but I havent found any radio hosts that do. Sadly like most positions it's about who you know, and not so much about what you know.