PDA

View Full Version : Blogtable: Next Best In East

90'sNBARocked
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/02/06/blogtable-next-best-in-east/?ls=iref:nbahpt6a

For argument’s sake, say Miami wins the East. Next: New York, Indy or …?
Steve Aschburner: I’ve been a skeptic on New York for a long time — never been a huge ‘Melo fan and I try to filter Knicks hype by half because of the media glut there. Mostly I’ve been proven wrong this season. But I’m not convinced yet, so I’m sticking with Indiana. The Pacers have a terrific locker room to go with a strong starting lineup, an emerging superstar in Paul George, David West‘s old-school game down low, a bench with helpful parts, a rim-protector in Roy Hibbert (frustrating as he can be) and a brashness from their coach, Frank Vogel. They also have an ace in the hole if Danny Granger‘s return goes well. Besides, Indiana gave Miami more of a scare last spring than the Knicks did.

Fran Blinebury: The chalk says the Knicks, the head says the Pacers. But I’m gonna crawl way out on a limb here, say that Derrick Rose comes back after the All-Star break and is feeling good by April. So by late May it’s the Bulls.

Jeff Caplan: Or is right … as in OR the Chicago Bulls. Derrick Rose is coming back and the psychological boost alone has the potential to really juice the hardest working team in basketball. John Wall‘s very impressive return in Washington should really have Chicago jazzed for Rose’s chances to quickly get his game going and for the club to mesh after such a long layoff. Rose’s return has the power to transform and the Bulls are already holding down the No. 4 spot with the ability to quickly make a move up the standings after the All-Star break.

Scott Howard-Cooper: Or … Chicago. Not at the moment, but if the topic is projecting the second-best East team for the playoffs, since the question is based on the premise of the Heat winning the conference, it’s the Bulls with Derrick Rose. Indications are that he will be back in more than enough time to be rolling by the postseason. The Bulls are in the mix for No. 2 anyway. The Bulls with a good Rose puts them ahead of the other challengers.

John Schuhmann: I don’t know if they’ll finish second in the standings, but I think the team most likely to face the Heat in the Eastern Conference finals (unless they’re on the same side of the bracket) is Chicago. And I say that with a relatively conservative outlook on what they’ll get from Derrick Rose between now and May. I think the Bulls have the defense that neither New York or Brooklyn have and, with Rose (at somewhere less than 100 percent), the offense that Indiana doesn’t have.

Sekou Smith: As recently as three weeks ago I would have dismissed the idea of the Pacers being in the same space with the Knicks or Heat. But they’ve finally started to look like that team we all saw give the Heat fits in the playoffs last season. Frank Vogel has been coaching that way all season but his team didn’t catch up until recently. Now that they have, I think they could very well be that “second-best” team in the East. And they pose matchup issues for the Heat with their frontline and with a rangy athlete like All-Star swingman Paul George coming into his own. The Pacers are going to be a serious problem for anyone that sees them in the playoffs.

Pacers4Life
02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
So much better reading tidbits about how good we are instead of trade rumors and whatnot.

FlavaDave
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
favorable national media coverage doesn't mean a thing to the Pacers, their chances of winning, or the hardcore fans. However, favorable national media coverage is crucially important when it comes to recapturing the hearts, minds, and wallets of the casual fan. This is a small but good step in the right direction.

CableKC
02-06-2013, 02:37 PM
It doesn't JUST matter if the Pacers matchup well with the Heat.....it also matters how well the Pacers would match up against the Knicks and/or the Bulls come Playoff time.

How do we matchup with a fully healthy Bulls and Knicks lineup?

Anthem
02-06-2013, 03:41 PM
It doesn't JUST matter if the Pacers matchup well with the Heat.....it also matters how well the Pacers would match up against the Knicks and/or the Bulls come Playoff time.

With all players healthy, I think the Pacers match up with the Bulls as well as anyone in the east. Of course, it's hard to say, since we don't really know what the full strength Bulls will look like. What if Rose comes back healthy, but still plays like DWest last fall? It took a year of playing real basketball before he was back to "normal."

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Bulls can't guard our wings with just Deng and Butler.

rock747
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
favorable national media coverage doesn't mean a thing to the Pacers, their chances of winning, or the hardcore fans. However, favorable national media coverage is crucially important when it comes to recapturing the hearts, minds, and wallets of the casual fan. This is a small but good step in the right direction.

It's a weird dichotomy. In any other venture I am not rooting for the little guy to give his money to the corporates... except for Indiana Pacer basketball.

FlavaDave
02-06-2013, 06:03 PM
It's a weird dichotomy. In any other venture I am not rooting for the little guy to give his money to the corporates... except for Indiana Pacer basketball.

I know, right? The ONLY two reasons I care are a) atmosphere at games, and b) making sure the Pacers don't move to another city.

docpaul
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM

I think you might be missing one element, though. Confidence is a fragile thing. If it becomes the accepted crowd opinion that the Pacers are a legitimate competitor, that most certainly has an effect on the egos of those on the team.

At the minimum, it validates what they're beginning to believe about themselves.

That's important for a young, impressionable team.

Derek2k3
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
I know Chicago is the sexy pick for everyone right now (OOO EMMM GEEE! DERRICK ROSE) but I think they're being overvalued. 2 years ago, with a healthy team, they got embarrassed by the Heat, a series that wasn't even competitive. Honestly, their best run wasn't as good as the Pacers last season.

So, even if Rose comes back to be as good as he was (A huge if), why is it assumed they are so good? The team, right now, best suited to match up against any team in the East is Indiana.

cgg
02-06-2013, 07:19 PM
There's no "if Derrick Rose comes back as good as he was." He's not going to. Not this year anyway.

mattie
02-07-2013, 12:01 AM
I just don't get why so many teams believe in the Bulls. It doesn't make sense. I don't know how so many can believe in the Bulls and not the Pacers.

They keep talking about Rose, and how many times have we seen this? A guy with a major knee injury (again, completely different from what granger has) coming back and performing like he was? Not too mention, Chicago hasn't done a good job improving their roster. If anything they've gotten worse now that they don't Asik. Derrick Rose is so heavily dependent on his athleticism that I just don't see him playing at this level until he is completely healthy.

Meanwhile, all these guys talk about Rose's return, and it's like they forget how well the Pacers are playing without Danny Granger. A guy who had a much lesser injury, and he's not dependent on athleticism like Rose.

Unlike the Bulls, the Pacers starting lineup has transformed, yet the Pacers can reasonably expect their returning star to play at least close to his former level by the playoffs.

If the Pacers meet the Bulls in the playoffs they'll crush them.

The only real question is if the Pacers can somehow beat the Heat, or if they get unlucky and have to play Atlanta in the second or first round. (yeesh)

naptownmenace
02-07-2013, 12:38 AM
You should read some of the comments. The Heat, Knicks, and Bulls fans are really upset by the thought that the Pacers could possibly beat them.

I absolutely love it!

Mad-Mad-Mario
02-07-2013, 12:45 AM
You should read some of the comments. The Heat, Knicks, and Bulls fans are really upset by the thought that the Pacers could possibly beat them.

I absolutely love it!

I hate Chicago sports fans. The two Heat fans I went to the game last Friday with admitted, they are a little worried at least. I feel like all Bulls fans would have just turned into trolls.

LetsTalkPacers84
02-07-2013, 12:56 AM
I 100% guarantee you that Rose doesn't want anything to do with the "smashmouth" Pacers for 3-7 game in the playoffs coming back from injury.

Day-V
02-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Steve Aschburner on the Grady & Big Joe Show tomorrow at 11:35a ET. http://bit.ly/fanlisten ;)

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Steve Aschburner on the Grady & Big Joe Show tomorrow at 11:35a ET. http://bit.ly/fanlisten ;)

Who?

Day-V
02-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Who?

You don't like reading, do you?

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 01:20 AM
You don't like reading, do you?

Only pd and twitter :)

Day-V
02-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Evidently you didn't read the OP.

vnzla81
02-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Evidently you didn't read the OP.

Nope :)

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
lol

Pacers4Life
02-07-2013, 03:53 AM
Steve Aschburner on the Grady & Big Joe Show tomorrow at 11:35a ET. http://bit.ly/fanlisten

I like to read, i actually LOVE to read, and I have no idea who that dude is, why I should care, or what "the OP" is.. Get off the high horse 1070 guy. And figure out why your radio station comes in fuzzy EVERYWHERE

Heisenberg
02-07-2013, 09:33 AM
We really surprised Sekou Smith's giving us some love?

Anthem
02-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I like to read, i actually LOVE to read, and I have no idea who that dude is, why I should care, or what "the OP" is.. Get off the high horse 1070 guy. And figure out why your radio station comes in fuzzy EVERYWHERE
"OP" is short for "Original Post." He's the first one to give an opinion in the article. He also picked Indy over New York or Chicago.

Steve Aschburner: I’ve been a skeptic on New York for a long time — never been a huge ‘Melo fan and I try to filter Knicks hype by half because of the media glut there. Mostly I’ve been proven wrong this season. But I’m not convinced yet, so I’m sticking with Indiana. The Pacers have a terrific locker room to go with a strong starting lineup, an emerging superstar in Paul George, David West‘s old-school game down low, a bench with helpful parts, a rim-protector in Roy Hibbert (frustrating as he can be) and a brashness from their coach, Frank Vogel. They also have an ace in the hole if Danny Granger‘s return goes well. Besides, Indiana gave Miami more of a scare last spring than the Knicks did.

PacerPenguins
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
don't get me wrong, Paul George is great (and my favorite Pacer), but if it weren't for David West, this team would not be competing this high. He is the heart and soul of this team and will be our managements biggest mistake of not reassigning him. Sure he is getting old, but dude can ball and is our emotional leader

Mac_Daddy
02-07-2013, 10:17 AM

I think we can match up a lot better against the Knicks if only for their reliance on the 3-Point line. That's where our perimeter D comes in huge help. The Bulls make us deal with Noah and Rose (when both are healthy). The other guys on the team can be matched up well, but Noah always gives us trouble and Rose can be guarded, but he will always be able to do what he does (assuming he returns to old form).

We're built to stop teams like Miami and New York, but toss a great PG and a great PF/C at us and we are in a bit of a pickle.

Unclebuck
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Tomorrow as in Thursday or Friday??

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Tomorrow as in Thursday or Friday??

Today

Day-V
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM

:flirt:

Cubs231721
02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm concerned about the Knicks. They like to play Anthony at the 4, and that matchup has given the Pacers problems. Unlike Miami where playing LeBron at the 4 usually causes rebounding/rim protection issues, the Knicks with Chandler can still keep up defensively with that small of a lineup. In the 4 games where the Pacers have faced the Knicks with Anthony at PF+-, the Knicks have won 3 of those games by 15, 14, and 12. The Pacers have one victory in that timespan, but it took a furious comeback from 15 points down in the 4th when they decided to go small themselves.

So the Pacers have found one strategy that might work well (going small) but I don't think they want to do that for long stretches of a playoff series. I think the Knicks are maybe the 4th most dangerous team overall in the East, but they are not a team I want to see the Pacers facing.

The Bulls are pretty close to being clones of the Pacers, especially when Butler is in the game. Rose and whichever one of George/Granger Deng is not guarding would cause the most match up problems, but that would be mostly a series of who executes better.