PDA

View Full Version : Looking to the Future: Victor Olidipo

SouthernIndianaFan
02-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I have always been a Pacer Fan. The key to building a great team is drafting great players. I think if Victor comes out for the draft, the pacers have to go after him. What are everyone's thoughts on where he would fit in, and/or what would need to get trade to move up in the draft. I don't think he will be there when we draft this year. I want him on our team. What are your thoughts?

pacer4ever
02-05-2013, 05:06 PM
I have always been a Pacer Fan. The key to building a great team is drafting great players. I think if Victor comes out for the draft, the pacers have to go after him. What are everyone's thoughts on where he would fit in, and/or what would need to get trade to move up in the draft. I don't think he will be there when we draft tis year. I want him on our team. What are your thoughts?

We don't have the assets to trade up high enough to get him without trading a key player. Don't fall in love with players but value and Victor is a hell of a player but he isnt in our wheel range value wise.

I love Victor as a player but no way he will be wearing BnG come draft day IMO

Mr.Hinds
02-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah the sad thing is I think he'd work well in Vogels system, but I doubt he'll drop out of the lottery if he keeps playing like this.

IUfan4life
02-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Can Victor play/develop into a 1 in the league?

Naptown_Seth
02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
We don't have the assets to trade up high enough to get him without trading a key player. Don't fall in love with players but value and Victor is a hell of a player but he isnt in our wheel range value wise.

I love Victor as a player but no way he will be wearing BnG come draft day IMO
Exactly, I don't even know why these threads exist. There's way too many other options that are realistically in the Pacers future. Discussion of picks 15-35, sure. Then you have a DG trade or trade-up, or just picking in your own spot. There is ALWAYS an NBA players available in the mid-20s.

And as far as stars go, we already have Paul George. If this is a future where West or Danny are resigned (but not both) then you have 2 with a chance for Roy to be 3 again and Hill just off pace with the top 2. We are covered on big guns. The next few drafts need to either be long term like Bender/Harrington or specialty players to fill out the roster supporting the big 4-5 (Lance or DG or West, some combo of 5 for sure, w/ 3, 24, 55).

ChicagoJ
02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Actually, this is the guy you might consider targeting if you're going to move Danny this offseason - getting into position to draft Victor who might grow into an excellent wingmate to Paul, and whose primary position would be as guard, not forward.

Drafting another SF wasn't the "safe" move in 2010 when the Pacers already had Danny Granger. But if you get a chance for that kind of talent or to move up reasonably for that kind of talent... and who knows how future negotiations will go with Paul... can't just assume he'll always want to be with the Pacers or that he'll always be healthy.

Trader Joe
02-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Victor has already moved himself up to number 15 on Ford's big board. He is probably going to only keep going higher.

As far as him being a 1 in the league, maybe in spot minutes, but he is a prototype 2 in the NBA IMO. Great wing span, spectacular quickness, and a great first step.

Vic will be a great NBA player IMO, he has a fantastic work ethic, however it is unlikely it's going to be for the Pacers.

Mr.Hinds
02-05-2013, 05:49 PM

Not Unless his ball handling drasticy improves. He's very good with his right hand but he is still an almost complete liability with his left. He can go left off a screen and get to the rim with two dribbles but if he needs to change direction you'll see a lot of bad results.

And honestly I don't know what his court vision is like or even how it would translate to the Association.

Mr.Hinds
02-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Actually, this is the guy you might consider targeting if you're going to move Danny this offseason - getting into position to draft Victor who might grow into an excellent wingmate to Paul, and whose primary position would be as guard, not a forward.

I actually really like this idea, especially if we can get a good rotation player for the bench with a mid first. However, I'm always afraid I'm too high on IU players just because of my fan side.

ChicagoJ
02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
I actually really like this idea, especially if we can get a good rotation player for the bench with a mid first. However, I'm always afraid I'm too high on IU players just because of my fan side.

I'm usually not. I was not in the "we want Steve" crowd. I've wanted the Pacers to draft a whopping total of two IU players over the years - Wittman and Cheaney. Sadly, they did get Wittman at the end of his career. Oh, I would have liked Zeke, too, but clearly he wasn't going to be available to the blue and gold.

I continue to be skeptical of footspeed for IU players. Being quick enough to play big time DI hoops just isn't the same. I love watching Sheehey play, too, but I don't see his game translating to the next level.

I don't have that concern about Olidipo any more.

VideoVandal
02-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Some mocks I have seen still have him going late first round/early 2nd round, draftnet's mock has him at pick 32 was updated 5 days ago, DraftExpress has him going pick 21 to THE PACERS in there most recent mock. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that he falls to Indiana even if they don't move up in the draft this season. Now onto how I think he will fair as an NBA prospect, I think he will make a very good pro. He is just an incredibly active defender and plays passing lanes probably better than anyone in college basketball right now. For a team like the Pacers who have shown they are a great defensive team, but still lack in creating turnovers he could be an excellent fit. When you struggle to score points in your half court sets like Indiana has during some stretches this season, getting a player that is a pure disruptor and turnover creator on defense seems like a positive. And his growth offensively from when he first got to Indiana to now is remarkable, he has developed a consistent jump shot he has developed a great off the dribble game, he has learned to better utilize his athleticism on the offensive side better. I see him having a successful NBA career and think he'd be a steal if he fell to the Pacers at the end of round 1.

DJVendetta
02-05-2013, 06:07 PM
I remember one year I wanted us so badly to draft Hibbert and Rush in the draft, I mean you know the odds of getting the players you like is slim, but DAMN that day was exciting for me. I'd love to see Victor here should he drop in the draft, he is the kind of 2 guard I'd love to have playing for Vogel.

SouthernIndianaFan
02-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Next few drafts need to be long term? Think long term like Bender/Harrington? I might be new to the forum, but I come on, I know Pacer player history. Nap town must be thinking we draft the other Plumlee and call it a day. :dance: Anyhow, I think we draft a rising star when we get a shot. He sure knows how to play D. Seems like that and the guys motor and work effort should make him our target.

Downtown Bang!
02-05-2013, 07:35 PM

He can certainly defend the position. With GH being able to also defend some bigger 2's this would conceivably gives the Pacers a lot of flexibility especially with covering guys like a Derrick Rose.

If DG gets moved and picks are coming back I wouldn't hate them targeting a guy like Oladipo. I say completely own the ultra gritty, defense comes first, everbody rebounds there position well mentality and wear down teams by winning the possesion battle big every night.

SouthernIndianaFan
02-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Sorry about that last post, didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I'm just so aggravated when the Pacers draft a guy like Plumlee, and now we might just have a chance a player that I think could be special. I've watched Ben Mclemore out of Kansas, and if I'm choosing between the two, I'm taking Vic. Think of how we can use him and his defense!

Eleazar
02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
In my opinion he would be perfect playing next to Lance off the bench, or an extremely 6th man if we decided to move on from Granger. I do hope he drops to us in the draft, but every game he plays it seems less and less likely without a trade, which as others have said probably wouldn't be good value.

cdash
02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
I would love it, but echo what others have said: he's going to be long gone before we are drafting. Like Mr. Hinds, I'm always a little leery of my love for IU players in the NBA, but I'm completely sold on Oladipo. In my memory, since maturing, he's the Hoosier I've wanted on the Pacers more than any other--save for maybe Eric Gordon (before he proved he can't stay healthy). I was never huge on Kirk Haston's NBA future or Jared Jeffries. I do like Zeller, but I don't think I would take him where he is projected to be picked. To me, he screams rotation big man, not a star.

Heisenberg
02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Even I want Oladipo. Him playing next to PG would freaking terrify opponents.

Shade
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Vic is going to be an elite defender. Think Artest w/o the baggage.

It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that the Pacers could move up enough to get him. And if they can, they should.

cdash
02-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Vic is going to be an elite defender. Think Artest w/o the baggage.

It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that the Pacers could move up enough to get him. And if they can, they should.

He's a smart player, too. It's not that his shooting has improved as much as his decision making this year--as in, when to take good shots and when to make the pass. Offensively, I think he will struggle his first year or two in the NBA until he gets comfortable and figures out the game. I have no doubt that he will because he is an incredible worker.

Mr.Hinds
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Out of curiosity, does anybody know Vic's wingspan? I know he's about 6'5, but he's got have have some reach, right? That pass from Hulls was about 4 feet behind him.

pacer4ever
02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Out of curiosity, does anybody know Vic's wingspan? I know he's about 6'5, but he's got have have some reach, right? That pass from Hulls was about 4 feet behind him.

It's not been done. He wasnt a high level guy so I'm not sure if he has been to the skills camps where the elite level prospects get their wingspan and what not tested. Draft express just did a video on him today and it was listed N/A

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Victor-Oladipo-4075

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MgWJGiJJAwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

graphic-er
02-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Pacers will probably draft a PG this year to be George Hill's back up or eventual replacement.

cdash
02-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Pacers will probably draft a PG this year to be George Hill's back up or eventual replacement.

Where the Pacers will likely be drafting, they will be going for BPA.

graphic-er
02-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Where the Pacers will likely be drafting, they will be going for BPA.

Mile Plumlee was not BPA.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 01:36 AM

Just you wait and see! lol

mattie
02-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Olidipo is a stud. Best prospect IU has ever had. It's usually annoying hearing IU fans talking about so and so playing in the NBA.. IU just hasn't had very many NBA prospects. Well this guy's going to be a stud. Easy lottery pick. As the season goes on his stock will go up.

Scouts love athletes, and players with NBA bodies. Add the fact that he plays with insane intensity, he's a no brainer draft pick because you know he'll contribute period. Well he ever be a star? Who knows. But there's no way he's any worse than Tony Allen. He's going to be a nighmare on defense for guys like EJ, and frankly he might turn into a good scorer too.

If you all remember, in college Dwyane Wade didn't know how to dribble left either. Seriously. Wade had to go right every time. It was frustrating because he'd still score every time...

But anywho, love Olidipo's game. Just a badass.

Heisenberg
02-06-2013, 03:34 AM
Olidipo is a stud. Best prospect IU has ever had
slow down

mattie
02-06-2013, 03:45 AM
slow down

Besides the injured IU players, IU hasn't offered much. The statement isn't that alarming if you consider IU's history.

Heisenberg
02-06-2013, 03:47 AM
Besides the injured IU players, IU hasn't offered much. The statement isn't that alarming if you consider IU's history.

Oladipo's a great prospect, but dude, c'mon. Gordon just a few years ago was multiple tiers above him. Then there's that Zeke dude. And Kirk Haston!

mattie
02-06-2013, 03:49 AM
Oladipo's a great prospect, but dude, c'mon. Gordon just a few years ago was multiple tiers above him. Then there's that Zeke dude. And Kirk Haston!

Oh ****. I always forget about EJ lol I always forget because of only one year and Isaiah. So third best.

cdash
02-06-2013, 05:59 AM

On our draft board he must have been.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Oh ****. I always forget about EJ lol I always forget because of only one year and Isaiah. So third best.

George McGinnis. And I could make a bigger list if I tried.

Coopdog23
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
I have always been a Pacer Fan. The key to building a great team is drafting great players. I think if Victor comes out for the draft, the pacers have to go after him. What are everyone's thoughts on where he would fit in, and/or what would need to get trade to move up in the draft. I don't think he will be there when we draft this year. I want him on our team. What are your thoughts?

Hell no they need Trey Burke

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Hell no they need Trey Burke

If you want our team defense to collapse like a pile of pick up sticks then sure.

Mackey_Rose
02-06-2013, 08:58 AM

George McGinnis? Walt Bellamy? The Van Arsdales?

Who's not considering IU's history again?

VideoVandal
02-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Add in Calbert Cheaney? I know his NBA career didn't pan out but I would suspect most NBA scouts and draft experts would have Calbert as a higher prospect than Victor coming into this years draft if they both were coming out in this years draft.

Mackey_Rose
02-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Add in Calbert Cheaney? I know his NBA career didn't pan out but I would suspect most NBA scouts and draft experts would have Calbert as a higher prospect than Victor coming into this years draft if they both were coming out in this years draft.

I'm an enormous Victor Oladipo fan. He's my favorite player to watch in college basketball, and I think he's going to turn into a good, possibly great NBA player down the line.

Saying he's the best NBA prospect that IU has ever had right now, is just preposterous.

Tom White
02-06-2013, 09:21 AM

I don't know about that. Cal lasted 13 years in the league. Pretty good tenure, I'd say.

doctor-h
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Exactly, I don't even know why these threads exist. There's way too many other options that are realistically in the Pacers future. Discussion of picks 15-35, sure. Then you have a DG trade or trade-up, or just picking in your own spot. There is ALWAYS an NBA players available in the mid-20s.

And as far as stars go, we already have Paul George. If this is a future where West or Danny are resigned (but not both) then you have 2 with a chance for Roy to be 3 again and Hill just off pace with the top 2. We are covered on big guns. The next few drafts need to either be long term like Bender/Harrington or specialty players to fill out the roster supporting the big 4-5 (Lance or DG or West, some combo of 5 for sure, w/ 3, 24, 55).

Hibbert a star. LOL Right now he is a joke. Hill will never be more than a role player. And I don't want to hear how if Roy figures it out and gets back to where he was he is an all star. He has had 50 games to figure it out. The problem is the other teams have figured him out. They know how to take him out of a game and it is not hard to do. Also he has a right to start this thread. He wanted peoples opinion that is what this board is supposed to be about. Alot of teams have vision enough to think they could move up in the draft to get a player they like. We do have assets to move up and get someone. It is just our team never seems to do it.

BRushWithDeath
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I would pretty much love everything about a George Hill, Victor Oladipo, and Paul George 1-3.

BRushWithDeath
02-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Racist?

SouthernIndianaFan
02-06-2013, 10:17 AM
I appreciate all the great replies to my post that pertain to Victor. Now I know bringing up Dickie V. will stir the pot, so I might as well to keep this thread focused on Vic. What IF, Victor Olidipo, the guy who has more deflections on defense than D.Wade (with the same coach), actually does keep working on using both hands, and turns out to be a monster like Mike Jordon. Do we have the assets to move up in the draft? How far could we move and who would it take to get him? Give me your thoughts on the above.

Sparhawk
02-06-2013, 10:25 AM
SG is the one position the Pacers are set at with Lance and OJ.

Marcus Smart is the guy I really want, but he'll likely be a top 5-10 pick. :(

Anthem
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Hibbert a star. LOL Right now he is a joke. Hill will never be more than a role player.
And yet we're fighting for the top spot in the East with those two guys on the starting unit. To what do you attribute our strong play this year? Dumb luck?

Mr.Hinds
02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Isaiah. Thomas.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I would pretty much love everything about a George Hill, Victor Oladipo, and Paul George 1-3.

It is tantalizing, there's no doubt about that. Vic would fit with everything about the blue collar, gold swagger, bottom to the top style the Pacers are going for. I just think it is an absolute pipe dream at this point. Maybe we can trade Danny and get high enough in that draft, but then again who knows how high Vic will climb by the time this is all said and done.

BPump33
02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Junior J. (Los Angeles, CA)

What college player do you see as an ace wing defender like a T. Allen type?
Chad Ford (1:37 PM)

Victor Oladipo. Can lock down three positions at the next level. Tough and relentless and an elite NBA athlete. If he keeps shooting the ball well throughout the rest of the season, he too has a great shot at the lottery -- maybe even Top 10.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47006

OlBlu
02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
If they do, I will quit watching them completely. I don't want any of IU's garbage around the team.....:cool: ...

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 01:40 PM
If they do, I will quit watching them completely. I don't want any of IU's garbage around the team.....:cool: ...

Well, now we can only hope folks. :pray:

OlBlu
02-06-2013, 01:43 PM

How about Jeffers, Henderson and many others.....:cool: ...

Mackey_Rose
02-06-2013, 01:46 PM

I'm willing to trade Paul George to move up to the number 1 pick.

Eleazar
02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
SG is the one position the Pacers are set at with Lance and OJ.

Marcus Smart is the guy I really want, but he'll likely be a top 5-10 pick. :(

I like OJ, but I would choose Oladipo over him every day. If we had a chance to take Oladipo I say you take him, unless there is a PF available with equal potential, which is highly unlikely. A general rule for drafting, if there is a player who is head and shoulders above everyone else at your draft position you take him no matter their position, with few exceptions. Only draft for need when there is someone at that position who is relatively close in skill to the best player available at that position.

OlBlu
02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm willing to trade Paul George to move up to the number 1 pick.

:bs: ... :cool: ...

Ace E.Anderson
02-06-2013, 02:50 PM

Unfortunately in their eyes he was BPA..

Ace E.Anderson
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
I like OJ, but I would choose Oladipo over him every day. If we had a chance to take Oladipo I say you take him, unless there is a PF available with equal potential, which is highly unlikely. A general rule for drafting, if there is a player who is head and shoulders above everyone else at your draft position you take him no matter their position, with few exceptions. Only draft for need when there is someone at that position who is relatively close in skill to the best player available at that position.

I like the "role player" potential that OJ brings, but if we had Oladipo we would easily have the longest and one of the most athletic guard/swingman rotation in the league between Paul, Victor, Lance and sometimes Hill. Opposing teams guards would HATE to play us. Hell they hate to play us now lol.

oz_pacer
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
677this would look good in blue and gold

Heisenberg
02-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Who's not considering IU's history again?I wasn't trying to list every NBA player IU's ever had...

doctor-h
02-06-2013, 04:07 PM
And yet we're fighting for the top spot in the East with those two guys on the starting unit. To what do you attribute our strong play this year? Dumb luck?

Everyone has contributed at times but Hibbert and Hill are nothing more than role players. They are not star players or produce at a star level. I understood the thread meant that they could join George as a star player soon. Stars are not big liabilities at times like Roy. I know everyone likes Roy and I do too, but lets be real.

Ace E.Anderson
02-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Everyone has contributed at times but Hibbert and Hill are nothing more than role players. They are not star players or produce at a star level. I understood the thread meant that they could join George as a star player soon. Stars are not big liabilities at times like Roy. I know everyone likes Roy and I do too, but lets be real.

Not to get off topic, but outside of the "superteams" of the world that has a desirable location, and an owner with money to burn, who has a "star" player at virtually every position? EVERY team NEEDS role players within their starting lineup who knows their role, and executes those roles. I feel that George and Roy (defensively speaking) do that quite well.

ChicagoJ
02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
I wasn't trying to list every NBA player IU's ever had...

Well, they've had two #1 overall picks - Bellamy and Benson.

McGinnis would've been a third, but with the goofy underclassman rules and funny "regional" drafts that the ABA would concoct, he wasn't part of a regular draft process.

Scott May, Archie Dees and Isiah were each #2 overall picks.

Cheaney was a #6 pick, Buckner #7 overall. Bobby Wilkerson was #11 on the coattails of going 63-1 over two seasons.

Eric Gordon was #7, right?

Tom and Dick were both second-round picks. (FN*)

Bob Leonard was a second-round pick as well, #10 overall.

Jeffries was #11 (that wasn't a good idea, was it?)

I think that's the universe of top-12 picks.

Except that Landon Turner certainly would've been top-12. Have any other paralyzed players ever been drafted by an NBA team? Or is Landon the only one?

* Footnote. With only eight teams in the league, Dick was the #10 overall pick and Tom was the #11 pick overall. Also, in the fourth round (pick #24) -- or as we call it today, "late first round" -- from the same IU team was Jon McGlocklin. That was the same draft as future HoF'ers: Goodrich, Bradley, Barry, Sloan and Cunningham. Wowzers!!

Slick Pinkham
02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
full list of NBA players from IU: http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/bycollege.htm?sch=Indiana+University

Hall-of-Famers: Bellamy, Thomas
MVP: McGinnis (both ABA and NBA)
perennial all-star players: Dick and Tom Van Arsdale, Eric Gordon
long-time very solid NBA players: Woodson, Buckner, May, Benson, Henderson, Cheaney, Wittman

players some have falsely alleged to be NBA busts here:
Alan Henderson- picked 16th, probably had the 7th or 8th best career of anyone in that draft, played 12 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NBA_Draft
Calbert Cheaney- picked 6th, probably about the 8th best career in that draft, valued nearly right, played 13 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_NBA_Draft

I can accept Benson and May being considered busts due to their draft position, despite their long careers, but others like Bailey, Haston, Alford, etc. were drafted low or in weak drafts anyway where there weren't many better alternatives when they were actually drafted. There might have been local hype to draft them, but on a national level they were in general not so well-regarded and played neither much worse nor much better than their draft selection slot would have indicated.

As for Victor, he would be a great "get" in the low lottery for his athleticism and work ethic, and a vastly improved shot. His mechanics are good so I see no reason for him to lose an ability to shoot in the NBA. If anything, better competition brings out his best performances.

Justin Tyme
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM

I'm not disagreeing about Chumlee, but would you care to elaborate as to who who think was a better BPA at the #26 pick? The only 4 1sts drafted after Chumlee were

Moultrie
PJIII
M Teague
Festus Ezeli

pacer4ever
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm not disagreeing about Chumlee, but would you care to elaborate as to who who think was a better BPA at the #26 pick? The only 4 1sts drafted after Chumlee were

Moultrie
PJIII
M Teague
Festus Ezeli

I had about 30 guys ranked ahead of Plumlee when we picked so take your pick..

Heisenberg
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM

McGinnis would've been a third, but with the goofy underclassman rules and funny "regional" drafts that the ABA would concoct, he wasn't part of a regular draft process.

Cheaney was a #6 pick, Buckner #7 overall. Bobby Wilkerson was #11 on the coattails of going 63-1 over two seasons.

Except that Landon Turner certainly would've been top-12. Have any other paralyzed players ever been drafted by an NBA team? Or is Landon the only one?

* Footnote. With only eight teams in the league, Dick was the #10 overall pick and Tom was the #11 pick overall. Also, in the fourth round (pick #24) -- or as we call it today, "late first round" -- from the same IU team was Jon McGlocklin. That was the same draft as future HoF'ers: Goodrich, Bradley, Barry, Sloan and Cunningham. Wowzers!!

Stop getting defensive Hoosiers. I mentioned a couple guys who were clearly better prospects than Oladipo (other than Haston, that was a joke), not some all inclusive list.

OlBlu
02-06-2013, 05:43 PM

Landon Turner was actually drafted by the Boston Celtics......:cool: ...

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Stop getting defensive Hoosiers. I mentioned a couple guys who were clearly better prospects than Oladipo (other than Haston, that was a joke), not some all inclusive list.

Dude, no one was being defensive with you.

Justin Tyme
02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
I had about 30 guys ranked ahead of Plumlee when we picked so take your pick..

You probably did, but I'm interested in who grapher-ic feels was better.

Mr.Hinds
02-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't know if anybody was getting defensive but as a Hoosier fan it was highly entertaining to me. Fun facts are fun.

Pacer Fan
02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Victor is a bit small for my liking at the 2 spot, but he does play good D and he is pretty darn good on the offense. I like his style of play. I want to see more before making a decision on anything of him being a Pacers. I do know this, I had no interest in him last season.

cdash
02-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Victor is a bit small for my liking at the 2 spot, but he does play good D and he is pretty darn good on the offense. I like his style of play. I want to see more before making a decision on anything of him being a Pacers. I do know this, I had no interest in him last season.

He's 6'5 with an above average wingspan. In today's NBA, that's plenty of size.

Coopdog23
02-06-2013, 07:22 PM
If you want our team defense to collapse like a pile of pick up sticks then sure.

Are you kidding? Burke is a great defender and way quicker than Oladipo

cdash
02-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Burke is not a great defender, and with the ball in his hands he's "way quicker" than Oladipo, but not on the defensive end.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Do you think Burke is better on defense than Oladipo? I just want to see exactly what we're dealing with here.

Coopdog23
02-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Do you think Burke is better on defense than Oladipo? I just want to see exactly what we're dealing with here.

I'm not sure. I haven't seen enough of Oladipo. Burke is better offensively by far and quicker. We don't need a swingman anyways

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure. I haven't seen enough of Oladipo. Burke is better offensively by far and quicker. We don't need a swingman anyways

There is no way you can be not sure if Oladipo is a better defender than Burke, if you have watched Oladipo for 2 seconds on defense you know he is much better.

As far as Burke being better offensively "by far", well all I know is one of these guys is probably the most efficient perimeter scorer in the country and it is not Burke.

Mr.Hinds
02-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Burke is much better with the ball, both taking shots off the dribble and ball handling in general, but I think Vic is as good as if not better in most other ways. Vic suffers from tunnel vision when he drives but he finishes around the rim better. Burke is probably a better shooter, but VO has a pretty stroke that will respond to hard work and stretch as far as the nba 3 point line. Almost all other intangibles Victor has over Burke. Defense, rebounding for position, help D, and off the ball movement.

mitchbr
02-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Another thread about picking a player who went to Indiana...
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

I'm not one to bring people down on here, but seriously, c'mon. Oladipo is a great athlete and has surprised this year, but you can't think like a homer and be a GM. Look how that Reggie/Alford decision played out. Thank God we didn't go with the other, the Pacers wouldn't be here if we did. Eric Gordon won't happen, Zeller won't happen, Oladipo will go too early, and the way our wing players are right now, I don't think we need him. I'm still shaking my head at the "Cellar for Zeller" thread from early December. Good thing we didn't listen to that philosophy either.

Mr.Hinds
02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Personally, I'm not talking about trading away Danny Granger for a lottery pick and steal VO while everybody else hasn't even turned to his page. But if the Pacers end up with a 20+ pick, as of right now in early February, I would not be upset with picking Oladipo. He's got a high-ish ceiling and fits the scheme of the team well. Tenacious defender with a high motor. That's not being a homer, I don't think.

It's ok though- if I were a Purdue fan my head would be spining at the thought of two NBA caliber players on one team as well.

Trader Joe
02-06-2013, 09:37 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

I'm not one to bring people down on here, but seriously, c'mon. Oladipo is a great athlete and has surprised this year, but you can't think like a homer and be a GM. Look how that Reggie/Alford decision played out. Thank God we didn't go with the other, the Pacers wouldn't be here if we did. Eric Gordon won't happen, Zeller won't happen, Oladipo will go too early, and the way our wing players are right now, I don't think we need him. I'm still shaking my head at the "Cellar for Zeller" thread from early December. Good thing we didn't listen to that philosophy either.

When are we gonna get some threads about picking players from Purdue?

xIndyFan
02-06-2013, 09:50 PM

I've never seen him live, but that is what I've heard. That he lacks the size to be a star at the NBA level.

hoosierguy
02-06-2013, 10:03 PM
I've never seen him live, but that is what I've heard. That he lacks the size to be a star at the NBA level.

He is 6'5, 210 lbs. That is plenty of size. Nevermind that he can jump out of the gym, is an elite defender, and can get to the rim at will. Oh and then there is the tenacious work ethic and excellent attitude.

Slick Pinkham
02-06-2013, 10:14 PM

we generally don't cover the minor leagues from overseas

j/k

I never understood the fascination with typecasting a player based on his school. Drew Brees was a Purdue QB. Curtis Painter was a Purdue QB. It doesn't matter. You can find good players if you look for them, and where they are doesn't have whole lot to do with their pro prospects.

Mr.Hinds
02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
He is 6'5, 210 lbs. That is plenty of size. Nevermind that he can jump out of the gym, is an elite defender, and can get to the rim at will. Oh and then there is the tenacious work ethic and excellent attitude.

I'd agree with all that except getting to the rim at will. He has an explosive first step but dribbles in a straight line to the hoop. He'll get a lot of charges called on him if he doesn't change that. Not many lanes are left as wide open as they are in college. Almost every team has atleast one quality rim protector in the rotation and the speed of nearly every guard in the NBA is going to be better than what VO matches up with in college. I'll be very interested how his offensive skill set translates to the Association.

But I have to agree his athletisim and work ethic makes me think he will become a starting 2 guard for an NBA team sometime down the line.

cdash
02-07-2013, 12:12 AM

Oh for Christ's sake. That argument only holds weight if we were crowing for the Pacers to pick Jordan Hulls.

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Nah, we shouldn't pick Jordan Hulls, now if we are lucky enough that Jeff Howard slips to us, we gotta jump on that like a starving man on a Christmas ham!

cdash
02-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Nah, we shouldn't pick Jordan Hulls, now if we are lucky enough that Jeff Howard slips to us, we gotta jump on that like a starving man on a Christmas ham!

TJ, don't be silly. Taylor Wayer is obviously our Plan A. Dude leads college basketball in trillions!

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 12:16 AM
TJ, don't be silly. Taylor Wayer is obviously our Plan A. Dude leads college basketball in trillions!

Sadly, with credentials like that, he will be gone way before we pick. Can't wait to get my Taylor Wayer Bobcats jersey!

pacer4ever
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM

How about Johnny Marlin I played with him in middle school would be great value at #30.

We all agree nothing like taking an IU walk on just because he played for IU :cool:

damn us IU Homers!! (........suddlenly realize I don't like IU and I wanted Victor because he is a beast and would be perfect for the BnG)

and thoes who say Victor is small are just dead wrong. I sat front row watching him play vs Lance and Victor was as long if not longer that was Victor as a freshmen. I mean for pete sakes the dude has like a million deflections he plays like a prototypical 2 and plays bigger than his size to boot.

Dr. Hibbert
02-07-2013, 08:26 AM
I think it's insane to suggest it's just a homer pick, and nothing else, to take Oladipo. It's rare you see a player that athletic, and THAT dynamic on the defensive end, coming out of college.

He's like a smart Gerald Green...that can defend...and doesn't just jack shots...and hits the shots he does take...

(...so he's nothing like Green.)

BRushWithDeath
02-07-2013, 09:54 AM

I'd take AJ Hammons over Miles Plumlee without hesitation.

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I'd take AJ Hammons over Miles Plumlee without hesitation.

I would too. Even if he flames out he can probably do a great David Harrison water commercial impersonation.

bunt
02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
perennial all-star players: Dick and Tom Van Arsdale, Eric Gordon .

Might be a little premature to label Gordon as a perennial all star, as he's never been one yet!

xIndyFan
02-07-2013, 10:22 AM

Michael Beasley was 6-10 at Kansas State too. That's what I meant about seeing him in person. If he is really 6-5, that is one thing. If he is really 6-2 that is completely different. The harsh reality is size matters in the NBA.

Rogco
02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
SI.com story about draft boards and rating players by Chris Mannix:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130206/nba-draft-big-board-ben-mclemore-nerlens-noel/?sct=hp_t13_a6&eref=sihp

VO is not in the top twenty. I think there's a good chance he will be going around 20th, aka, not a highly valued pick. It's definitely conceivable that the Pacers could end up with him. We love him here cause we're in IU territory, and I've noticed he's getting more and more national attention, but that doesn't mean he'll be "long gone".

mitchbr
02-07-2013, 12:09 PM
He'd be a steal if he dropped to us the way he's playing right now. Even as a Purdue fan I'd welcome him to the blue and gold. I just get frustrated when people post like that. No threads saying "We need to draft (for example, I don't want him) Nerlens Noel." Sorry to ruffle feathers.

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
He'd be a steal if he dropped to us the way he's playing right now. Even as a Purdue fan I'd welcome him to the blue and gold. I just get frustrated when people post like that. No threads saying "We need to draft (for example, I don't want him) Nerlens Noel." Sorry to ruffle feathers.

I just think it is expected and as long as it is a player that could help the P's I think it is a fine convo to have. The fact Vic plays for IU should be irrelevant to the topic of he would impact the Pacers.

BPump33
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM

I see what you mean. I think it's just easier to see the similarities between how the Pacers play and how Vic plays because we (IU fans) see him play all the time. I don't really watch much college ball outside of IU and March, so I can't really comment on other players.

Slick Pinkham
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
If he is really 6-5, that is one thing. If he is really 6-2 that is completely different. The harsh reality is size matters in the NBA.

I don't have a screen shot, but after one game this year VO was being interviewed by the 6'6" Jim Jackson (former OSU and NBA player, now an announcer with the BTN). They seemed, to a first approximation, to be the same height. I think 6'5" is a legit height for him.

Pacer Fan
02-07-2013, 01:06 PM

I know he is listed at 6'5". So why is he always smaller against his opponent when they maybe listed at 6'4". I mean he looked smallish against Butler and didn't look any taller then Clark and we know Clark isn't close to 6'5". I will be interested what he measures at the combine. I say 6'21/2".

mitchbr
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I just think it is expected and as long as it is a player that could help the P's I think it is a fine convo to have. The fact Vic plays for IU should be irrelevant to the topic of he would impact the Pacers.

Agreed, I guess since most people on here will watch more college ball from this state those headed to the NBA will have more eyes on him and more mouths talking on PD.

cdash
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
I know he is listed at 6'5". So why is he always smaller against his opponent when they maybe listed at 6'4". I mean he looked smallish against Butler and didn't look any taller then Clark and we know Clark isn't close to 6'5". I will be interested what he measures at the combine. I say 6'21/2".

He's not.

BRushWithDeath
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM

Wait... you don't think he's taller than Rotnei Clarke? Are you sure you know who Victor Oladipo is?

Rogco
02-07-2013, 04:18 PM

I think cause he hunches over when he's playing defense.

Mr.Hinds
02-07-2013, 05:11 PM

He looks smallish because when you play perimeter defense you want to have a lower stance, giving you increased balance and lateral speed. He's not going to stand straight up trying to D up any D1 guard. He's like a coiled spring.

Black Mamba, and Black Falcon are already taken but I think we could put our heads together as a board and find a suitable nickname for the guy. Honestly if he had converted that oop from Hulls against Mich he'd already have one. I like Home Depot as a play on words but there's something about a true alterego generating nickname. They're just awesome. The Truth, The Big Ticket, The Big Fundemental, The Answer, etc.

Slick Pinkham
02-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I mean he looked smallish against Butler and didn't look any taller then Clark

http://uwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Victor-Oladipo.jpg

He looks a good 5" taller than the 6'0" Clark to me...

Pacer Fan
02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
http://uwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Victor-Oladipo.jpg

He looks a good 5" taller than the 6'0" Clark to me...

You have to be kidding

dal9
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Just get D.J. Byrd in the 2nd round, better value.

dal9
02-07-2013, 07:35 PM
It is tantalizing, there's no doubt about that. Vic would fit with everything about the blue collar, gold swagger, bottom to the top style the Pacers are going for. I just think it is an absolute pipe dream at this point. Maybe we can trade Danny and get high enough in that draft, but then again who knows how high Vic will climb by the time this is all said and done.

so basically DG for Oldapido straight up? A lot of you are underrating DG terribly. Remember what happened after he went out against the Heat? (And please don't start comparing (this or any) regular season with playoffs. Playoff basketball is a different animal.

Pacer Fan
02-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Wait... you don't think he's taller than Rotnei Clarke? Are you sure you know who Victor Oladipo is?

I said I think he will measure at the combine at 6' 21/2". I could be wrong, but Tom is like 5'10", Hulls is listed at 6' and Vic is not much taller then them. Many players are listed taller then they are. We will find out soon enough on his exact height.

cdash
02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I said I think he will measure at the combine at 6' 21/2". I could be wrong, but Tom is like 5'10", Hulls is listed at 6' and Vic is not much taller then them. Many players are listed taller then they are. We will find out soon enough on his exact height.

Are you sure you have watched Indiana play? Oladipo is a lot taller than Hulls. I agree that he might not be 6'5, but I don't think he's any smaller than 6'4. Hulls is probably 5'10. I'm 5'10 and stood next to Hulls and he is no taller than me.

Pacer Fan
02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Are you sure you have watched Indiana play? Oladipo is a lot taller than Hulls. I agree that he might not be 6'5, but I don't think he's any smaller than 6'4. Hulls is probably 5'10. I'm 5'10 and stood next to Hulls and he is no taller than me.

I've watched at least 20-25 games in 2 seasons.

You just validated my whole point tho with the 2" difference of Hulls, Thx.

Mr.Hinds
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Will Sheehey is listed at 6'7, so I guess he could actually be 5'11 and Oladipo is really 5'9. But if we go by how everybody on every reputable site has him listed I think it looks right. Will being about 2'' maybe, 3'' taller than him.

Link/Pic for comparison (http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/059/341/141790257_crop_650x440.jpg?1332615151)

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I blame this thread for everything that happened tonight.

Mr.Hinds
02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
I blame this thread for everything that happened tonight.

Let's just not talk about it... Vic did get up there for that block though. Gotta talk on defense!

Trader Joe
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Let's just not talk about it... Vic did get up there for that block though. Gotta talk on defense!

I can't give him credit for the block when the only reason he had to make a play is becuase of a terrible turnover.

Mackey_Rose
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
At this point, I'm hoping Oladipo struggles down the stretch so that the Pacers actually do get a chance at him.

billbradley
02-08-2013, 09:30 AM
At this point, I'm hoping Oladipo struggles down the stretch so that the Pacers actually do get a chance at him.

For what it's worth, Draftexpress has the Pacers taking him #21.

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 09:44 AM

You really like him this much huh? I mean don't get me wrong I think he's a great player, I'm just a little surprised I guess by the overwhelming support he seems to have

SouthernIndianaFan
02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
For what it's worth, Draftexpress has the Pacers taking him #21.
That's exactly what I thought after the loss last night. Can anyone look at the current draft order on Draftexpress and tell me one player that would be better than Victor for this team and city? Come on, he's got the motor, the defense, the high shooting percentage, the ability to make highlight film dunks, and good character. Man he would bring some Swag!

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 09:51 AM
The problem is at this point in order for the P's to get him he is going to need to drop into the 25 range which would mean he would need to drop about 10 spots from where Chad Ford has him right now. And while I'm sure everyone is rooting for an IU implosion ;) I'm not sure it's actually that likely.

SouthernIndianaFan
02-08-2013, 09:52 AM
I wish the Purdue fans would get off the mindset that we just want Vic because we are homies for IU. Good grief, I'm a Purdue grad, but a Pacer fan too. This kid would be fun to watch and he would sell tickets.

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
IU Homies!

Eleazar
02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
That's exactly what I thought after the loss last night. Can anyone look at the current draft order on Draftexpress and tell me one player that would be better than Victor for this team and city? Come on, he's got the motor, the defense, the high shooting percentage, the ability to make highlight film dunks, and good character. Man he would bring some Swag!

Not to mention almost every single IU fan would be immediately interested in the Pacers, for at least one season.

Mackey_Rose
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
You really like him this much huh? I mean don't get me wrong I think he's a great player, I'm just a little surprised I guess by the overwhelming support he seems to have

I do. He's a really good college player, but I think his game will actually translate better to the NBA, and especially to this team. He would make the ideal 2 between George Hill and Paul George, which I think is the Pacers' biggest need going forward (assuming David West gets re-signed this summer). Everything he needs to improve on (shooting, ball handling, etc.), is stuff that typically players improve on in the NBA. Things that typically players can't improve on, he's already got. He has plenty of size to play either guard position in the league, he sees plays developing before everybody else, his motor never stops at either end, he doesn't need to score to help you, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't grade out as an elite athlete at the combine. He's basically everything I look for in a college player.

That play at the end of the game last night was one of my favorite plays this year. He made a poor decision by trying to go around his back in traffic, and that turnover was a killer, but he never quit on the play and made the spectacular block on the other end. He isn't a perfect, complete player, but he's got a chance to be a very, very good NBA two-guard.

Trader Joe
02-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Yeah, if he continues to learn you would expect a mistake like trying to go behind the back in traffic to be a blip. It already pretty much is a blip compared to his previous two years. I love the chase down block in the sense of a moment just in and of itself, but it's hard to really appreciate when you know what happened immediately before, still yes, he deserves credit for getting back on D (and Hulls actually deserves some credit for slowing down the Illinois break)

I would love his attitude on this team that's for sure. His don't fear anyone style is perfect for NBA defense.