PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Receive Media Recognition 2/5/13

BrownBearCoffee
02-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey, guys, I haven't posted much this season, but I am really enjoying this team. I just thought I'd share some media recognition I heard given to the Pacers today, which is always a welcomed surprise.

So I was listening to Cowherd during work, and he was talking about there being no transcendent college basketball players anymore. He started talking about Cody Zeller probably being the number 1 pick this year, but he said that even he wasn't a "difference maker" at the NBA level. He had a caller, who was an IU fan, phone in to argue the point, and I will try to give you the conversation as close as I can remember:

CC: So you're telling me you think Zeller could start for the Pacers?

Fan: Absolutely.

CC: Are you kidding me? On the Pacers? We're talking the Pacers here, these guys are really good. You're talking about David West, Paul George, George Hill, Roy Hibbert... Did I mention Danny Granger? These guys are good. They're one of the only teams who can beat Miami; in fact, I think the Pacers and Chicago are the only East teams who can beat Miami, because NY depends too much on the 3. These guys are really good.

Fan: Yeah, I guess you're right.

So that isn't exactly verbatim, but it gives you the point. I thought you guys would like to hear that. Thanks!

Note: If the 2/5 podcast goes up, you can find it in the 3rd hour. It was somewhere around 12:10 eastern.

Jessen
02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
ESPN has them on sportscenter. It's been awhile since they have actually featured the Pacers instead of "Heat lose to Pacers" or something similar. The sick Paul George reverse ally oop is #1.

Pacergeek
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Supposedly Stephen A Smith and TIM Legler were hyping the Pacers up as well

Jessen
02-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Supposedly Stephen A Smith and TIM Legler were hyping the Pacers up as well

I would prefer if Stephen A Smith doesn't hype us.:-p

Foul on Smits
02-05-2013, 03:45 PM
The Daily Dime in ESPN.com currently has us as the Indiana Raptors.

Trader Joe
02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
All we need at this point is for Lance to throw Paul an alley oop between his legs and off the backboard and then Paul slams it home while George Hill runs around in circles with sparklers a la JD in Scrubs when Turk proposes to Carla.

MyFavMartin
02-05-2013, 04:21 PM
To be fair, if you're not the Lakers or Heat, you get nothing from ESPN.

Just ask San Antonio or Oklahoma City...

Randolph_HorseLips
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for posting that, BrownBearCoffee.

Cowherd is right. There's no way Zeller starts on the Pacers. Besides, is it a common belief that he'll be the #1 pick? I haven't really heard that. I keep thinking he needs to stay in school one more year, actually. He doesn't have a developed game suited for the NBA.

I could easily see Oladipo (sp?) having more NBA success than Zeller.

Trader Joe
02-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I think it would be a complete surprise at this point if Cody is the number 1 pick.

Unclebuck
02-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Sure, I like to hear good comments about my team, but do I really care about media coverage? I really don't, although media coverage drives interest so to that extent I guess I do.

I am so glad that the average basketball fan doesn't draft for the Pacers.

Mac_Daddy
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
I like how it didn't take much for the college kid to rethink his statement.

gummy
02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
All we need at this point is for Lance to throw Paul an alley oop between his legs and off the backboard and then Paul slams it home while George Hill runs around in circles with sparklers a la JD in Scrubs when Turk proposes to Carla.

:rotflmao:

That is a spectacular image sir. I laughed out loud at the office. Oops. :)

BrownBearCoffee
02-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Sure, I like to hear good comments about my team, but do I really care about media coverage? I really don't, although media coverage drives interest so to that extent I guess I do.

I am so glad that the average basketball fan doesn't draft for the Pacers.

I'll give you that. Many people don't understand that the shiniest new toy doesn't always belong in the bin with the rest.

vnzla81
02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Damn you ESPN damn you!!!!!!!

LetsTalkPacers84
02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
J Adande and Gutierrez debated who could beat the Heat. The consensus was the Pacers.

*astrisk*
02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
J Adande and Gutierrez debated who could beat the Heat. The consensus was the Pacers.

Yeah, thats a good video.. Also, Gerald Green and Paul George are getting some run in the 5 on 5 qustions "Dream Slam Dunk Contest" Round Table on espn.com. Both get multiple mentions...

LetsTalkPacers84
02-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Yeah, thats a good video.. Also, Gerald Green and Paul George are getting some run in the 5 on 5 qustions "Dream Slam Dunk Contest" Round Table on espn.com. Both get multiple mentions...

Wait there's a video. Damn I read all that. Lol

Sparhawk
02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
The Daily Dime in ESPN.com currently has us as the Indiana Raptors.

I actually had to check that out. It's true. lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

Cousy47
02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I actually had to check that out. It's true. lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime
Could it be that Bird and Thomas are buying the Raptors and moving them to New Albany???

Naptown_Seth
02-05-2013, 06:59 PM
To be fair, if you're not the Lakers or Heat, you get nothing from ESPN.

Just ask San Antonio or Oklahoma City...
This is an odd thing to say on the day when 3 of the top 10 plays, including the #1 play, were a alley oop from Hill to PG and a nice backdoor bounce pass by Durant. Even on a night when Lebron scored at will in his game.

Mr.Hinds
02-05-2013, 08:02 PM
I've always liked cowherd.

HickeyS2000
02-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Didn't know where to put this, but walking around downtown Houston they have banners on light poles of the various players in the all-star game. I walked the entire city looking for the PG but couldn't find one. I did find about 20 lebron, 15 kobe and even 5 chris bosh. I found 1 kyrie irving in the outskirts, so I figured I was close. Still couldn't find one. I'm going to look again tomorrow. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does.

Naptown_Seth
02-06-2013, 01:14 AM
I said this on Twitter I think, but for the Sportscenter Top 10 when they ended with PG24's oop dunk as #1 they followed with "Pacers are good, they are fun to watch." Fun to watch...that's one of the best comments you could get.

By the end of this month we should see a drastically different national view of the team.

1) PG in the ASG
2) Home games mean lots of wins, moving up the standings
3) Return of Granger

We already have the "Miami vs NYK/CHI/IND" storyline going and that will stay in place the rest of the year. Indy can't really blow it against Miami because they've already won the series. Sure Miami can make a late season home statement, but there is nothing they can do to undo the view that any games they have to play in Indy will be a problem for them. And I mean the national view, not the hometown view.

Day-V
02-06-2013, 01:26 AM

I know most of the time people say "lol" to convey a certain tone and aren't really laughing, but being the huge Scrubs fan that I am, I literally spit out my Diet Coke and started cracking up. At 12:30 in the morning.

aceace
02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Zeller is better than Hansbrough, more finesse, jumps and runs the court better. Zeller could start for several teams in the NBA... but not the Pacers. Zeller is more NBA ready than most big men

picasso
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
On first take they were debating on whose the number one threat to the Heat.

Skip chose the Celtics, But we all know he tries to play the devils advocate. However, Stephen A picked

the Pacers. We have size and above avg starters, He also called Paul George a star. Where I disagree with him

is that he said that our weakness is NY(Melo specifically). Melo can't kill us, Where we lose the battle with

NY is there PnR game, Dribble penetration and of course all 3's are falling. I can't wait to hit the playoffs. The only teams

we are badly over matched with are the Hawks and Nets(I do believe we can beat them soundly, But Lopez is a mismatch nightmare vs Hibbert)

I am very confident in this team. I do hope we do meet up with the Heat in the ECF, I won't say we'll win. But we'll definitely be ready. The Pacers along with

Frank are some sort of creature that evolves. We're like Super Saiyans ha. The more we get beat up the stronger we become. Everyone just seems to get a lot better in the offseason.

You can't understand how underrated that is, My goodness. Not that long ago we were in the same boat as the Bucks. Monta and Brandon have peaked, They won't get better and that

is depressing. I love this team and it's core. We want success and If we don't win! It won't be because the lack of hard work or dedication, Everyone in this Franchise has worked there

butt off.

Hicks
02-07-2013, 02:15 PM
I think the key to beating NYK in the playoffs will be the same as how we beat Philadelphia in 1999 and 2000. Let Iverson I mean Anthony go one on one. He may score 50 points if he wants to bust his *** and he gets super hot. Just lock up everyone else as best you can and see if they can produce 40+ more points with our tall/long defenders sticking to them. And that's one game. Odds are he ain't dropping anything close to 50 four times out of seven.

If he plays at PF, he'll give West fits but if we're smart we'll throw that back in his face on the other and I think David will have a decent go at scoring on him or getting some fouls.

Otherwise, you can go stretches of small with Granger or George guarding him at the 4. They want Melo at the 4, okay. We'll play long stretches of Hill, Stephenson, George, Granger at the 1-4 if we have to.

MagicRat
02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Chris Mannix of SI is hosting the Dan Patrick Show this morning. Said he is leaning toward picking the Pacers over the Heat to come out of the East.....