PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Vince Carter will start the AllStar game again...

Kstat
12-16-2004, 04:33 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/allstar_041216.html

Interesting that Grant Hill still hasn't been forgotten, after all these years. He's likely the other starting forward.

Hill, LeBron and Iverson in the same starting 5? thats some serious speed.

ChicagoJ
12-16-2004, 04:38 PM
:laugh: Peanut Butter has almost as many votes as Foster.

Hicks
12-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Jermaine isn't going to get to start because of Grant Hill (at least partially understandable), and Vince Carter?. Nauseating just doesn't say it. Infuriating doesn't quite either.

:scream:

Kstat
12-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Jermaine isn't going to get to start because of Grant Hill (at least partially understandable), and Vince Carter?. Nauseating just doesn't say it. Infuriating doesn't quite either.

:scream:

Eh, he'll more than likely get the coaches' vote. STarting the AS game is overrated.

Hicks
12-16-2004, 04:49 PM
I know he'll get the coaches' vote (at least he damn well better), but to me there's something elite about being in the first 5, and JO belongs there.

ChicagoJ
12-16-2004, 04:56 PM
He may miss too many games for the coaches to vote him in. They're more likely, in my opinion, to vote for a first-timer that's making significant contributions all season long, even though JO is the better player.

indytoad
Am I the only one that doesn't really care about the All-Star game? Yeah, it's great to have the recognition and all, but I just can't get up for it - or upset about it.

IndyToad
Inner universe

DisplacedKnick
I know he'll get the coaches' vote (at least he damn well better), but to me there's something elite about being in the first 5, and JO belongs there.

Having only played 8 games all season? Even though I know it's happened before I've never agreed with it - in fact I'd like a rule that anyone who hasn't played at least half their team's games before the all-star break is ineligible.

Ragnar
12-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Its not even a proper popularity contest. It is a barometer as to how well the league is marketing certain players. For example the people who are aware of the NBA and claim to be fans know who Grant Hill is because of Sprite commercials but they are totally clueless to the fact that he has not played in 4 years.

Los Angeles
12-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Hmmm -

I'm actually torn on this one.

My homer self wants JO to get the nod from the coaches, mostly as a reconciliation for the severe penalty, I also think it would be great if he showed up and played with a smile and took the opportunity to soften the ugly and unfair image the Ps have gotten from this season.

On the other hand ... east forwards who have been playing well while JO has been out deserve recognition. The All-Star game SHOULD NOT be a popularity contest, but the fans, and then the coaches, vote on it, so a popularity contest is exactly what it is. The only other way to determine the roster is from the numbers.

Looking at the numbers, the only zeros that could ever help you would be in the TO and PF columns. ONeal has zeros for most of the season. Based on that, he won't - and shouldn't - get the nod, regardless of his talent or star magnatude.